Working class couple - is a Cunard transatlantic cruise for us?

justjr7

In 2013 my husband and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary. I am very keen to enjoy the classic cruise - one of the Queens Southampton to New York. My husband has several reservations

(a) will it be too rich blooded for us - we both consider ourselves to be working class

(b) how will he fill in the days at sea and

© the weather.

Any and all feedback would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Jenni

I am a retired working class person - well, I worked in an office all my life, and I went on the Queen Mary 2 last year, and certainly didn't feel out of place. I met some lovely people there, and even though it was a Caribbean cruise,we had plenty of sea days sailing from and to New York - there was a full programme every day.

I've booked a transatlantic cruise on QM2 for May this year, and a return - that's how much I enjoyed it. This week on facebook they are having a "virtual" cruise and are publishing all the daily activities - I am going to struggle fitting in everything that I want to do - there is that much! If you are on facebook, then "like" CUNARD and you can see it all there.

You will have a ball I'm sure - I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to it - and I'm travelling solo - 19 weeks on Tuesday (not that I'm counting, of course) :)

In 2013 my husband and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary. I am very keen to enjoy the classic cruise - one of the Queens Southampton to New York. My husband has several reservations

(a) will it be too rich blooded for us - we both consider ourselves to be working class

© the weather.

Regards

Jenni

Hi Jenni. I am a Diamond World Club member and have traveled Cunard all my life so maybe I can cast a little light on your questions.

a). We too have had the circumstance to work hard all our lives. Unfortunately, still have to. I have met nice people on board who turned out to be everything from construction workers to corporate chiefs as well as the occasional celebrity. Usually, the topic of "what do you do for your money" never comes up. It is assumed you had enough to pay for passage and that you like to travel.

b). It has always amazed me that there is never enough time in the day to do all that one wants to. Even on a ship with no rock climbing wall, water slides, or miniature golf courses.:eek: This will not be a problem, I assure you.

c). The weather is totally variable. I have seen everything from warm, flat millpond to hurricanes. Time of year helps somewhat but generally, expect a mix of calm and some motion, rain and some sun, cool to warm temps.:D

I hope this helps a bit. One caveat I would mention: Does your Husband like to dress up? The Queens on Transatlantic are quite elegant at night. Lois and I have always liked a few drinks in our cabin while "suiting up" for the evening. It seems people act their best when dressed their best--even me!:eek::D That said by one who dresses for work everyday in a polo shirt and shorts (Summer) or a polo shirt and jeans with a leather jacket (Winter) and has boat shoes as the required footwear.:eek: We love the chance to dress up in the evenings. I would say you two would be welcome table mates with us. Hope you will give it a go.

All the best,

Jim & Lois.

As Jim stated upbove. You do have to dress for the evenings, casual isn't really an option (although it has been done). I too am working class and I work hard for my vacation money, so it doesn't matter what background you come from on board.

So for your husband who might not have a tuxedo, you can hire one on board. OR do as my father (a retired letter carrier) and get a nice dark suit. He found a good one on sale even, with a very dark narrow pin stripe. He wore that for every dinner from formal to semi-formal and changed out the neckties.

You don't have to go overboard with clothes at all, common sense and a bit of co-ordination with pieces will get you to all venues on the ship!

As to being bored....well, bridge classes, table games, trivia games, movies, lectures, planetarium shows, theater, song and dance, big band, music in the lounges, library time, people watching, swimming, exercise room, dancing, enrichment classes, afternoon tea, and so much more to do!

Not in the least - "class" (if there is such a beast these days) doesn't enter into it. From your signature, you seem to have extensive cruising experience. You won't find anything on Cunard to make you feel in any way out of place

I generally find that there's a 15 minute period round about mid afternoon when I'm not eating but I can usually fill that little gap thanks to room service. Seriously - there are masses of things to do, classes on all sorts of things from water colour painting to napkin folding (yes, I have done that one!), lectures, a book club, a library, the planetarium (if you're on QM2). You might actually find that the question isn't so much how you fill the days, but how you can fit in all the thing you want to do.

© the weather.

This one's a complete lottery. I have done two TAs (one westbound, and one eastbound both in September)and both were more or less a flat calm. but the Atlantic can get rough at any time of the year. If you do the crossing on QM2, you are likely to find that she handles the weather and the sea extremely well, but the two Vistas (QV and QE2) aren't too shabby either.

Regards

Jenni

Some comments above Jenni. Get the crossing booked - you'll love it.

J

Hi Jenni

My husband & I were on QM2 for 3 weeks this past summer. We are both NYC workers. We have been on many cruises just never the Queens. I was concerned before we went that we might not fit in. I did go a little over board with my clothing. I wasn't sure what to expect. We felt very comfortable on the ship. Most people were nice. Like I said, I did go over board with my attire especially dresses and shoes. I was suprised that not all people followed the nightly attire request. Even though there were many people I saw not following the dress request I would never want to be one of them.

You can definetly get away with limiting color choices and mixing in jewlery or accessories. I realized it wasn't necessary to have multiple gowns and shoes gallore. I enjoyed dressing up and doing all the entertainment that takes place at night.

Like I said we were on the ship for 3 weeks. There were many things we didn't get to. The daily plan is gam packed with items. There is always something to do. We did the Norway adventure for my husbands 50th bday. It was wonderful. We are looking to go back next year.

Enjoy and have fun :)

Hi Jenni,

I had many of the same thoughts before I booked my Transatlantic Crossing. I have not been on it yet, it is later this year, but after reading the stuff on this forum, I can't wait to board!

I am a young(ish) man from a very working class northern family, my mam and dad struggled to make ends meet, working all the hours they could to see me and my brother right in life. I have wanted to cross the Atlantic on a liner since I was a little boy watching the ships on the Tyne and here I am about to do it.

Go for it... I am sure you will have an amazing time... :)

T5

We first tried Cunard for our Silver Wedding anniversary in September 2009. Always wanted to go on ship (ocean liner) and had never been to New York and decided to put the two together for this special anniversary.

I just loved it, the QM2 has the wow factor. Loved everything that was on offer, the evening shows, coffee in Sir Samuels every day, drinks in the Commodore Club on an evening before and after evening meal. Just being on board is amazing.

Also loads to do during the day, infact you just cannot do every thing that is on offer. We even split up to do our own thing, I felt fine walking around on my own.

Also loved arriving into New York and seeing that skyline for the first time. Blew me away, even though we had to get up at 3.00am to see it.

Catherine

Three words:

JUST DO IT!!

We're from t' North East nr Middlesbrough, Catherine ( NE Girl) can't be far away, T5 seems to be from newcastle part of the world.

So there's 3 of us all in agreement!!

You'll find it amazing! Sailing into NYC is fab...to see the city come into view... But leaving is equally wonderful, as you get to see FAR more than on arrival.

Take our words for it. You wont regret it!

Regards,

Mr H.

I know that there is still a kind of "commonly accepted" idea of the concept of a "working class" - but surely today, that concept is no longer accurate or pertinent . Who today is NOT "working class" ??? - only those who are of independent means and do not work. Even very well paid CEO's "work".

So, perhaps before anybody can comment on whether Cunard is suitable for the "working class" , this needs to be thought about??

Sir Paul McCartney would certainly have been thought of as "working class" in earlier times (I am sure he would have thought of himself in those terms) -- but is he still "working class" now??? If not, what is it that has changed him from "working class" to WHAT?? class now.? Is it just that he is now rich? Is he better educated now? Or is it that he is now a man of "independent means" ( like me! :p )

Barry

I know that there is still a kind of "commonly accepted" idea of the concept of a "working class" - but surely today, that concept is no longer accurate or pertinent . Who today is NOT "working class" ??? - only those who are of independent means and do not work. Even very well paid CEO's "work".

That's very true, but, perversely, half of the UK think they are Middle Class now.

That's very true, but, perversely, half of the UK think they are Middle Class now.

I think that is probably because there has been a seismic shift in the way that "class" is defined in this country (and probably in others as well). Class used to be largely defined according to the type of work in which one was employed. So the working classes tended to be employed in heavy industry, the middle-classes in clerical type work, and the upper classes tended to be of independent means. The most significant social "fault line" now lies between those who are in work and earning a salary, and those who subsist entirely on benefits and state hand-outs of one kind or another; so anyone earning money does tend to regard themself as middle class. Other than the royals, I doubt that there is a significant percentage in this country who are sufficiently wealthy not to have to work at all. Even ole Roman Abramovich has to earn his daily crust :D

J

Other than the royals, I doubt that there is a significant percentage in this country who are sufficiently wealthy not to have to work at all. Even ole Roman Abramovich has to earn his daily crust :D

J

I don't think Sir Paul McCartney HAS to work anymore!! :p

And neither do I- being a self funded retiree (or in other words, a man of independent means! :p ) And I have been told that I have no Class! ( not sure what they meant by that!)

Barry

I don't think Sir Paul McCartney HAS to work anymore!! :p

And neither do I- being a self funded retiree (or in other words, a man of independent means! :p ) And I have been told that I have no Class! ( not sure what they meant by that!)

Barry

Hi Barry. I have come to feel like we would get on together on board by reading your posts. I have worked with many Aussies and had great fun with all of them. Having said that, would you adopt me?:D I am mostly housebroken and the extra funding for cruises would be appreciated.:eek::D

Hi Barry. I have come to feel like we would get on together on board by reading your posts. I have worked with many Aussies and had great fun with all of them. Having said that, would you adopt me?:D I am mostly housebroken and the extra funding for cruises would be appreciated.:eek::D

Mostly???? ;) and I did say "self funded" -- but I didn't say how small the fund is!!

Barry

I work on a production line in a factory so think I am a working class guy. I have been on the QM2 several times. On one voyage, I was sitting next to a wonderful lady in the Britannia Resturant on her way to Paris to lecture on the need for better ways to determine the age of ancient texts and inks. She told me she had never even met anybody who worked in factory! But I had wonderful conversations with her and her husband every nite at dinner. Meeting all kinds of wonderful people is one of the best things about sailing on the QM2. No need to worry about what to do to occupy the time. If you are like me, you will get up early thinking you have a whole day ahead of you and next thing you know, its bedtime. You do have to dress on Cunard - I found it fun to shop the department store sales - final markdowns, etc. and so did not invest a lot of money in clothes. On a previous thread, Salacia mentioned what she does and if you can find that thread, it should give you some great ideas. Most people pack too many clothes the right time out so be careful not to go overboard.

(b) how will he fill in the days at sea

This is something that has put us off a transatlantic. We have done all the planetarium shows and they don't last long anyway. I've been to lectures but never found them particularly enthralling.

We had two sea days together on our Baltic cruise last year and weren't sure how to fill our days apart from a couple of lectures and playing table tennis.

Now a transatlantic is 7 nights instead of 6 and if we weren't allowed on deck because of high winds, I don't know what we'd do. The thought of napkin folding doesn't exactly fill me with joy.

This is something that has put us off a transatlantic. We have done all the planetarium shows and they don't last long anyway. I've been to lectures but never found them particularly enthralling.

We had two sea days together on our Baltic cruise last year and weren't sure how to fill our days apart from a couple of lectures and playing table tennis.

Now a transatlantic is 7 nights instead of 6 and if we weren't allowed on deck because of high winds, I don't know what we'd do. The thought of napkin folding doesn't exactly fill me with joy.

So I suppose a "Round the World" cruise would not be for you?? :rolleyes:

But seriously - why do we (many of us) alway have to be "doing things".?:confused:

The very best part of being on a cruiseship for me is just being at sea (doing nothing but ponder upon the Sea, the Universe, the Meaning of Life, etc. :o And the VERY best place to do that is on the forward observation deck of the QM2!

Barry

What originated as a letter home from aboard a transatlantic liner many years ago has become a catch-phrase of sorts for getting through the day in the middle of the sea...

"...nothing to do and not enough time to do it."

This was long before ships had on-board entertainment staff there to be sure that their passengers, those who chose to, were caught up in a frenzy of non-stop activity.

My typical day would include (after breakfast :D ) trivia quizzes in the morning and afternoon, deck sports, a movie, a lecture, a nice leisurely lunch, aimless wandering, a token visit to the gym to pretend to exercise, perhaps a quick nap to recover from not doing anything, a soak in the pool or spa, sitting and visiting with friends both new and old, and let's not forget a foray into the Dark Side, otherwise known as the laundrette. :eek:

Not necessarily in that order. ;)

Suddenly, it's time to dress for dinner, and drinks with friends in one of the lounges or bars.

After dinner... more lounging and wandering, but for those who want it, ballroom dancing, the disco, a movie or stage show, and before you know it, it's 3am.

What originated as a letter home from aboard a transatlantic liner many years ago has become a catch-phrase of sorts for getting through the day in the middle of the sea...

"...nothing to do and not enough time to do it."

This was long before ships had on-board entertainment staff there to be sure that their passengers, those who chose to, were caught up in a frenzy of non-stop activity.

My typical day would include (after breakfast :D ) trivia quizzes in the morning and afternoon, deck sports, a movie, a lecture, a nice leisurely lunch, aimless wandering, a token visit to the gym to pretend to exercise, perhaps a quick nap to recover from not doing anything, a soak in the pool or spa, sitting and visiting with friends both new and old, and let's not forget a foray into the Dark Side, otherwise known as the laundrette. :eek:

Not necessarily in that order. ;)

Hmmm - nowhere have you mentioned supervising beer quality in the pub! But then again, that IS my job!! :)

Barry

Three words:

JUST DO IT!!

We're from t' North East nr Middlesbrough, Catherine ( NE Girl) can't be far away, T5 seems to be from newcastle part of the world.

So there's 3 of us all in agreement!!

You'll find it amazing! Sailing into NYC is fab...to see the city come into view... But leaving is equally wonderful, as you get to see FAR more than on arrival.

Take our words for it. You wont regret it!

Regards,

Mr H.

Hi Mr H, I am from Billingham, which is quite near Middlesbrough. As you can see by my signature I have been on QM2 a few times since my first crossing. Would love to do a back to back at some point.

We are booked on the June 5th celebrations of the 3 Queens in Southampton, should be a good one.

Catherine

I work on a production line in a factory so think I am a working class guy. I have been on the QM2 several times. On one voyage, I was sitting next to a wonderful lady in the Britannia Resturant on her way to Paris to lecture on the need for better ways to determine the age of ancient texts and inks. She told me she had never even met anybody who worked in factory! But I had wonderful conversations with her and her husband every nite at dinner. Meeting all kinds of wonderful people is one of the best things about sailing on the QM2. No need to worry about what to do to occupy the time. If you are like me, you will get up early thinking you have a whole day ahead of you and next thing you know, its bedtime. You do have to dress on Cunard - I found it fun to shop the department store sales - final markdowns, etc. and so did not invest a lot of money in clothes. On a previous thread, Salacia mentioned what she does and if you can find that thread, it should give you some great ideas. Most people pack too many clothes the right time out so be careful not to go overboard.

I have always liked to socialize with people from every walk of life, which isn't always easy in our compartmentalized world, but it's so much more interesting that just socializing with the same people. You learn much more, for one thing. On the Cunard ships however (or traveling in general), one has the opportunity to do this, which is fun. I think that is one appeal of traveling; there is a kind of freedom from the limitations of everyday life (although being in a big city like New York does allow more flexibility, but even then...).

It is my belief, having sailed on QM2 several times that my fellow passengers seem able to walk with kings and never lose the common touch. Go for it and enjoy it immensely - the ship and people are truly great!:)

© the weather.

Regards

Jenni

My DH is an executive and I am an OR nurse....we still are "working class" people. We met all kinds of people from photographers, to Nascar team owners, to teachers, to retired folks! Most were very nice and very interesting! We were probably two of the "least traveled" of all the population, however.

We were concerned about the "classes" of travel, but as it turns out, MOST of the folks are in the "lower" class...it was still really wonderful!

Yes, it is dressier than most cruise lines. They had a Black and White Ball, and an "Ascot" ball (many ladies decorated hats earlier in the day to wear at night).

High Tea is just lovely in the very beautiful Ballroom...we attended every day! Loved it!

The English pub served some great fish and chips (although I just read somewhere where the pub was converted to more of a sports bar atmosphere).

There is trivia, movies, lectures, bingo (I won $400 and DH won $250).

We even renewed our Wedding Vows, so if you are going for an anniversary celebration, you may want to look into whether they are doing it on your sailing. Again, it was a lovely celebration with wedding cake and photos...free of charge!

We loved it so much that we are planning on another crossing later this year!!

Archived