Working class couple - is a Cunard transatlantic cruise for us?

justjr7

Hi Jenni. Have you ever taken an ocean voyage? Do either you or your husband suffer from sea sickeness? Are you planning a round trip crossing?

Just my personal opinion, but if planning a crossing, I recommend QM2 rather than her sister ships - based on what I've read.

What originated as a letter home from aboard a transatlantic liner many years ago has become a catch-phrase of sorts for getting through the day in the middle of the sea...

"...nothing to do and not enough time to do it."

This was long before ships had on-board entertainment staff there to be sure that their passengers, those who chose to, were caught up in a frenzy of non-stop activity.

My typical day would include (after breakfast :D ) trivia quizzes in the morning and afternoon, deck sports, a movie, a lecture, a nice leisurely lunch, aimless wandering, a token visit to the gym to pretend to exercise, perhaps a quick nap to recover from not doing anything, a soak in the pool or spa, sitting and visiting with friends both new and old, and let's not forget a foray into the Dark Side, otherwise known as the laundrette. :eek:

Not necessarily in that order. ;)

Suddenly, it's time to dress for dinner, and drinks with friends in one of the lounges or bars.

After dinner... more lounging and wandering, but for those who want it, ballroom dancing, the disco, a movie or stage show, and before you know it, it's 3am.

Nicely put stowaway 2k, I think the whole trip is about destressing. I like to get up for breakfast either in Britannia or Kings court. Plan out the day, highlight what I want to do. Same with Tony, we don't always want to do the same things. He will pop to the pub with the paper, have a beer if it is near lunch time. Then I will meet him there.

We always go to Sir Samuels for a coffee at some point, they do lovely food in there, snacks etc. Then there is always lunch at some point. I like to sit and watch the world go by. Have a little look in the shops, I always buy myself a souvenier.

Then before you know it it's time to get ready for evening meal.

Brilliant.

Catherine

We've just got off the QM2 having sailed to New York and back (with a 2 week stay with our daughter in between)

I really don't think you'll regret doing it, get it booked! (By the way, do a little bit of searching around the net and get some idea of the prices that you can achieve. We work hard for our money - mobile catering - and make sure we get a good deal)

I'd recommend a Westward crossing (i.e. going TO New York) as each day (or 5 of them) has an extra 2 hours in it. This is because the clock goes forward on 5 days on the way over, but goes back on the return. We found it makes a big big difference!

As for class, the main thing is that people have some. And I'm sure that you do! It doesn't matter what class you are from but the thing is that an ocean voyage is a community of souls in the middle if a big ocean. Some people revel in this and just love putting on decent clothes, eating nice food and meeting lots of people. Others are determined to be miserable and to find something to complain about. Thankfully the vast majority are of the former type.

As for New York, whatever class you think you maybe you'll come back one higher!

In summary

I've not heard of anyone who has regretted doing the crossing and there are many of us that now look upon air travel as an aberration to be avoided where possible!

I'd recommend a Westward crossing (i.e. going TO New York) as each day (or 5 of them) has an extra 2 hours in it. This is because the clock goes forward on 5 days on the way over, but goes back on the return. We found it makes a big big difference!

Almost, 5 of the days have 1 extra hour, but even so, it means you get a 25 hour day and when you arrive in NY at 6:00AM it's 6:00AM to you - no jet lag.

Okay, no jet lag either coming back, but only 23 hour days !

My DH is an executive and I am an OR nurse....we still are "working class" people. /quote]

I don't think most people would regard you, an executive and a skilled nurse in any way as working class, not by most in UK anyway. One of the hardest of working women here is the Queen!!

The problem of course is that many who work think of themselves as working class, no matter what sort of work they do.

The really marvelous thing is that now cruising is open to all.

David.

My DH is an executive and I am an OR nurse....we still are "working class" people. /quote]

I don't think most people would regard you, an executive and a skilled nurse in any way as working class, not by most in UK anyway. One of the hardest of working women here is the Queen!!

The problem of course is that many who work think of themselves as working class, no matter what sort of work they do.

The really marvelous thing is that now cruising is open to all.

David.

Ha ha! I have always considered myself "working class"....coming from a background of a dad who was a NYC fireman (Captain-but still) and a stay at home mom of 6 children!

I guess my hubby being an executive would not be considered "working class", but I still think I am! ;)

Of course, my point was, that there are people from all walks of life on these sailings. We met VERY well-to-do folks and some not so much. We never felt uncomfortable. I will say that most of the people we met were very well traveled and some were on their 10+ transatlantic sailing, and had sailed on QE and QM previously! Most all of the folks we met, were lovely, friendly people!

Three words:

JUST DO IT!!

We're from t' North East nr Middlesbrough, Catherine ( NE Girl) can't be far away, T5 seems to be from newcastle part of the world.

So there's 3 of us all in agreement!!

You'll find it amazing! Sailing into NYC is fab...to see the city come into view... But leaving is equally wonderful, as you get to see FAR more than on arrival.

Take our words for it. You wont regret it!

Regards,

Mr H.

And this expat Scouser from t'other side o' hills agrees...just do it!!!

In 2013 my husband and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary. I am very keen to enjoy the classic cruise - one of the Queens Southampton to New York. My husband has several reservations

(a) will it be too rich blooded for us - we both consider ourselves to be working class

(b) how will he fill in the days at sea and

© the weather.

Any and all feedback would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Jenni

Hi Neighbour! Well almost - we live in Aberdeenshire! Now just you listen here my quine, none of this nonsense about "working' class - as another poster said, aren't most people these days. You go and enjoy yourselves - you've been on several cruises and enjoyed them haven't you? We have done two TA's - and loved them both. Silversea and Seabourn but I really fancy one day doing one of the Queens - I think there's something quite glamourous about doing the crossing on a Liner!

The sea days - wonderful opportunity to be together and indulge in all those things that you don't do at home! And everything else that has already been mentioned by others.

We were lucky that on both crossings - and remember we were on smaller ships - the seas were kind - we had a couple of what I would call frisky days and to be honest on the second TA, I rather enjoyed them and only needed to wear my "bracelets" for one day! Until you experience crossing "the pond" you really have no idea how big that pond really is.

We chose our first TA as sailing into New York was on the DH's List of things he wanted to do - and I have to say he had a tear in his eye as we did, and it was one of the most fabulous mornings we have ever had, sailing in very early morning, the sun rising over Manhatten and enjoying breakfast whilst sailing past the Statue of Liberty. Simply breathtaking.

We met all sorts of people, down to earth and all there for the same reason - to enjoy themselves - on our last TA, one of the crew was from Peterhead - you would never have known it from her accent now but when she found out I was from the north-east, she switched immediately to doric and lost me totally! The DH is an honarary Scot being married to me!;) Oh and as such he did wear his trews on both crossing and caused a storm especially with the American ladies - so if your DH decides on his kilt or trews, you may need to keep him on a tight rein LOL!

So for what it's worth, and to echo everyone else here - go for it and dinna fash yersel!

I'm a retired nurse and my DH is the director of our local municipal water treatment plant. My retirement was unplanned and we've had to tighten our belts since my health has declined.

We never felt that we were somewhere we didn't belong when we sailed the QM2. A cruise is a place to get away from what you do in your day to day life, so you won't feel out of place.

Just be proud of who you are and what you contribute to your community. What you make doing that isn't relevant as long as you're satisfied.

You'll enjoy Cunard. We still relive the wonderful memories. I'm certain we'll never be able to ever swing a world cruise or 3 cruises a year, but we savor the experience we had and are happy we were able to go even if it's only once :)

I'm a retired nurse and my DH is the director of our local municipal water treatment plant. My retirement was unplanned and we've had to tighten our belts since my health has declined.

We never felt that we were somewhere we didn't belong when we sailed the QM2. A cruise is a place to get away from what you do in your day to day life, so you won't feel out of place.

Just be proud of who you are and what you contribute to your community. What you make doing that isn't relevant as long as you're satisfied.

You'll enjoy Cunard. We still relive the wonderful memories. I'm certain we'll never be able to ever swing a world cruise or 3 cruises a year, but we savor the experience we had and are happy we were able to go even if it's only once :)

Well said!

I guess technically I am retired now, also not by choice. Maybe I am still trying to accept the fact that after being a nurse for 33 years, I can no longer do it following surgery on my Achilles tendon. :(

It's one thing to make the decision for yourself, quite another to have the decision made for you....

Hi Mr H, I am from Billingham, which is quite near Middlesbrough. As you can see by my signature I have been on QM2 a few times since my first crossing. Would love to do a back to back at some point.

We are booked on the June 5th celebrations of the 3 Queens in Southampton, should be a good one.

Catherine

Love the sunny icon you have next to your name. That must be to remind you what the yellow thing in the sky is! Not seen much round here recently. We've not done a true B2B but did manage the one with a 5 night stay in NYC - just the right amount of time. I suspect we'll be doing more as it looks like family are relocating from Stockholm to NYC and I soooo hate flying. Enjoy 3 Queens, we'd have loved to do it but didn't get the leave booked early enough:(

MrsH

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

In 2013 my husband and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary. I am very keen to enjoy the classic cruise - one of the Queens Southampton to New York. My husband has several reservations

(a) will it be too rich blooded for us - we both consider ourselves to be working class

(b) how will he fill in the days at sea and

© the weather.

Any and all feedback would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards

Jenni

I don't know if you looked at any of the Cunard brochures or at their website but when I first did I was a little put off by the people who all looked like "old money". I know they want you to feel like you are picking a 5 star liner but it made me feel like I might not "fit in". I have been a teacher for 38 years - definitely not among the idle rich. After reading the posts on here I realized most of us who love to cruise are quite alike and actually do work for a living -- or did (I retire in June). I was also following Cunard's posts on Facebook about the recently completed TA. The people who were listening to the speakers, learning how to dance, or walking along the decks look like people you might meet in the local grocery store, the community library or sitting in a park. Those picture really convinced me that I wanted to travel on Cunard again.

Love the sunny icon you have next to your name. That must be to remind you what the yellow thing in the sky is! Not seen much round here recently. We've not done a true B2B but did manage the one with a 5 night stay in NYC - just the right amount of time. I suspect we'll be doing more as it looks like family are relocating from Stockholm to NYC and I soooo hate flying. Enjoy 3 Queens, we'd have loved to do it but didn't get the leave booked early enough:(

MrsH

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

Hi Mrs H, When I heard about the 3 Queens celebrations I just had to be there. That's why we have booked the 5 nighter on QM2, the other two were too long.

Catherine

My wife and I are thinking about a TA to Great Britain, spending some time in London and then a return TA.

Frankly, the thought of enforced idleness is something that appeals to me.

Books, conversation, and fine dining with plenty of time for each . . .

. . . and maybe an Old Fashioned or two.

I don't know if you looked at any of the Cunard brochures or at their website but when I first did I was a little put off by the people who all looked like "old money". I know they want you to feel like you are picking a 5 star liner but it made me feel like I might not "fit in". I have been a teacher for 38 years - definitely not among the idle rich. After reading the posts on here I realized most of us who love to cruise are quite alike and actually do work for a living -- or did (I retire in June). I was also following Cunard's posts on Facebook about the recently completed TA. The people who were listening to the speakers, learning how to dance, or walking along the decks look like people you might meet in the local grocery store, the community library or sitting in a park. Those picture really convinced me that I wanted to travel on Cunard again.

If I went by what the brochures showed, I never would have taken a Caribbean cruise, rode in a power boat, gone to a beautiful resort....after all, no way am I going to look like that in a bikini! LOL!! :eek:;):rolleyes:

My wife and I are thinking about a TA to Great Britain, spending some time in London and then a return TA.

Frankly, the thought of enforced idleness is something that appeals to me.

Books, conversation, and fine dining with plenty of time for each . . .

. . . and maybe an Old Fashioned or two.

What could be better?

In our crazy, fast paced, hurry up world, if nothing else, cruising forces us to slow down, relax and enjoy! We just love it!

Suzyed,

We are indeed " in the same boat". Sorry, had to say that ;)

I am still struggling with the early forced retirement. I have hobbies but it sure isn't as fulfilling as working a 12 hour night shift on the ortho unit. I find I miss the camaraderie of my fellow workers as well.

I had a bilateral idiopathic adhesive capsulitis. My right shoulder works fairly well, but I didn't have a good result with my left.

On top of that, while visiting my son in CA, I picked up a whooping case of Valley Fever. I had been bragging about how I never run a fever whenever I get sick. 2 weeks later I had a temp of 105 and I sort of recall a conversation with Sponge Bob Squarepants :p

I am taking each day as it comes and am thankful that I escaped Malaria in Central and South America and even more thankful for my sense of humor!

Well said!

I guess technically I am retired now, also not by choice. Maybe I am still trying to accept the fact that after being a nurse for 33 years, I can no longer do it following surgery on my Achilles tendon. :(

It's one thing to make the decision for yourself, quite another to have the decision made for you....

Suzyed,

We are indeed " in the same boat". Sorry, had to say that ;)

I am still struggling with the early forced retirement. I have hobbies but it sure isn't as fulfilling as working a 12 hour night shift on the ortho unit. I find I miss the camaraderie of my fellow workers as well.

I had a bilateral idiopathic adhesive capsulitis. My right shoulder works fairly well, but I didn't have a good result with my left.

On top of that, while visiting my son in CA, I picked up a whooping case of Valley Fever. I had been bragging about how I never run a fever whenever I get sick. 2 weeks later I had a temp of 105 and I sort of recall a conversation with Sponge Bob Squarepants :p

I am taking each day as it comes and am thankful that I escaped Malaria in Central and South America and even more thankful for my sense of humor!

All we can do is grin and bear it and hope that we adjust! And being nurses, we are expert at that, aren't we?;)

I know for me, I am so used to getting up and going without thinking! I am(was) a fast walker... I don't "mosey"! That is one of my hardest adjustment. I love to dance and I used to walk(fast) 4 miles/day. On our last cruise on the Ruby Princess, I danced in the disco, cast and all! Of course I pay for it the next day.

I dealt with a partial tear of my achilles tendon, working 10 hour shifts in a big black boot for a year, hoping to heal it. When that didn't happen, I opted for surgery on it with a tendon transfer, hoping that finally that would fix it. Although the surgery was technically successful, I still have pain and a loss of mobility in my left ankle. I can't stand or walk for extended periods, as per Doctor's orders. :eek::p

So we press on...

I can certainly relate to your personal story. When you said that you "pay for it the next day" Wow, I do that at least once a week whether it's twisting the wrong way while cleaning or, more recently, packing for a trip, it is frustrating.

And as nurses, we both know better :rolleyes: Sometimes it's just worth a little pain.

We always did land trips before my illness. Cruising has made travel much more enjoyable and less painful :)

I'm looking at a TA this morning that leaves on our 30th wedding anniversary. The price is so low it's all I can do to keep my hand from picking up the phone!

All we can do is grin and bear it and hope that we adjust! And being nurses, we are expert at that, aren't we?;)

I know for me, I am so used to getting up and going without thinking! I am(was) a fast walker... I don't "mosey"! That is one of my hardest adjustment. I love to dance and I used to walk(fast) 4 miles/day. On our last cruise on the Ruby Princess, I danced in the disco, cast and all! Of course I pay for it the next day.

I dealt with a partial tear of my achilles tendon, working 10 hour shifts in a big black boot for a year, hoping to heal it. When that didn't happen, I opted for surgery on it with a tendon transfer, hoping that finally that would fix it. Although the surgery was technically successful, I still have pain and a loss of mobility in my left ankle. I can't stand or walk for extended periods, as per Doctor's orders. :eek::p

So we press on...

Archived