Princess vs Holland in Alaska

Kevin308

What are the Pro's and Cons comparing the too. My wife I are in are mid 30's. We will be celebrating are 16 years of marriage. I want to do something special for her this year. I am trying to figure out which of the two she will enjoy the most.

Being in your 30's I would recommend Princess . They have a tendency to be more active at night . On HAL most clubs are deserted bt 11PM and the crew are usually alone.

The only thing about that is 11pm in Alaska is 1pm central time. I would be stunned if my wife would stay up that late.

Love HAL and would highly recommend them for Alaska. All four of our Alaska cruises have been on HAL. Believe me, with such a port intensive cruise as Alaska, you will be more than ready for bed after an active day in port, then dinner on the ship. We found ourselves nodding off quite early, just forcing ourselves to stay awake to enjoy the long hours of daylight and the amazing scenery that abounds. Have hardly ever gone to a show or participated in any night time activities because frankly, we were pooped!:rolleyes:

All cruiselines in Alaska tend older, but each ship is also filled with all ages of passengers from infants to the elderly. My first priority is always the ports you are visiting, the longest times in ports, and the glacier sailing days - we prefer Hubbard and Glacier Bay to Tracy Arm, but your mileage may vary. For first timers, Glacier Bay is definitely the way to go. The Volendam sailings from Vancouver are ideal - leaves on a Wednesday, so fewer ships in port when you will be there, plus the added bonus of sailing inside Vancouver Island up and back. Terrific!

If you can't swing a balcony on the Volendam (smaller ship, fewer balconies - thus higher cost) I'd suggest cabin 7086 on the Navigation deck. Its an aft oceanview cabin overlooking a small public deck that no one ever seems to use or even know about. Just five steps (exactly!) out your cabin door to this wonderful aft deck that is like having a huge balcony for yourself! Plus its only one flight of stairs up to the aft Lido, Seaview Bar area, which is great to pick up a snack or get a cocktail to enjoy. We sailed on the Amsterdam twice to AK (the 14 day itinerary) and one year, had a similar cabin (7056) so we could take advantage of that "secret" deck. Costs way less than a balcony!;)

It seems that the OP knows that Princess and HAL are about the best in Alaska. Based on your age, I would go with Princess. The two lines offer pretty much the same things, but the age range on Princess will be a little (not a lot) younger.

If I were recommending a trip, it would be to add a cruisetour if you can, and do that first, and then sail back to Vancouver. But I appreciate that you did not ask that.

It seems that the OP knows that Princess and HAL are about the best in Alaska. Based on your age, I would go with Princess. The two lines offer pretty much the same things, but the age range on Princess will be a little (not a lot) younger.

If I were recommending a trip, it would be to add a cruisetour if you can, and do that first, and then sail back to Vancouver. But I appreciate that you did not ask that.

In would love to do a cruise tour but I just can't take enough time of work to do it and a cruise. It is kind of frustrating because I have 3 weeks and 2 days a year but I can't take enough days off in a row to do it.

Here is the problem as I see it. Princess has the better north, south cruise. For some reason Hollands now just go north and south are not as appealing. But they are much better priced.

Holland on the other hand has a nice round trip out of Vancouver that goes to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. So to me it looks like they have the best plan for a close loop cruise.

I know I can't afford a balcony unless something changed. As near as I can tell it looks like Princess has a scheme going were they claim they have a Balcony for the price of an Ocean View. However Princess Ocean view is way over priced compared to Holland. I would prefer the cheaper inside cabin. But my wife said some not so nice things about having a room with no outside light so that is out.

So it boils down to will I enjoy Holland? I am not one for meeting new people most the time because I just want to relax. Not that I mind meeting new people it is just well it doesn't matter if I do or don't. I am not a drinker are party person. I am the guy who buys a 6 pack and only drinks one beer in 5 months.

Archived