How do you deal with having arthritis during a cruise?

pampaul

I've been on 5 cruises so far and going on another one in June. But I was just diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my left knee (and I can start to feel it coming on in my right one as well). So I know that there is A LOT of walking on a cruise between walking around the ship all day and then getting on/off the ship at the islands.

Is there anything that you take or do that helps with the pain?

I've been on 5 cruises so far and going on another one in June. But I was just diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my left knee (and I can start to feel it coming on in my right one as well). So I know that there is A LOT of walking on a cruise between walking around the ship all day and then getting on/off the ship at the islands.

I find that my arthritis doesn't bother me as much while on a cruise. My doctor says I should try to exercise my knees (and ankles) as much as I can. So the walking is helpful (in my case). When there is a lot of pain, I use ibuprophen (OTC).

:)

Percocet

I do aspirin (extra strength Excedrin), and when walking I make sure there are places where I can sit. I do less strenuous tours now, and I'm only 50 :( I find if there are a lot of hills going up is much easier than going down, same for stairways. So I take that in consideration when choosing excursions.

I still walk the ship, and tend to use the stairways going up and just using elevators for the down trips. I also find that the relaxing I do on board must be somewhat helpful as the pain seems less, I probably have my mind on other things. I just wish that would happen at work as well but no such luck!

I do aspirin (extra strength Excedrin), and when walking I make sure there are places where I can sit. I do less strenuous tours now, and I'm only 50 :( I find if there are a lot of hills going up is much easier than going down, same for stairways. So I take that in consideration when choosing excursions.

I still walk the ship, and tend to use the stairways going up and just using elevators for the down trips. I also find that the relaxing I do on board must be somewhat helpful as the pain seems less, I probably have my mind on other things. I just wish that would happen at work as well but no such luck!

How great that someone understands why I walk up the stairs and ride down. Coming down hills is agony so I avoid them like the plague. After I had my knee injected I was advised to start exercising, so I ride a stationary bike 30 minutes a day to strengthen the muscles in my leg and it has really helped. All those years of working on my feet, I'm a nurse, sure took it's toll.

How great that someone understands why I walk up the stairs and ride down. Coming down hills is agony so I avoid them like the plague. After I had my knee injected I was advised to start exercising, so I ride a stationary bike 30 minutes a day to strengthen the muscles in my leg and it has really helped. All those years of working on my feet, I'm a nurse, sure took it's toll.

Bunkie,

I'm a letter carrier, so I know your pain! :D

I had both my knees replaced in 2007 and this past April climbed Diamond Head in Hawaii. Don't let your arthritis stop you from doing anything, just take precautions. Get a recommendation from your Dr for pain and keep moving, sit when you can and enjoy your trip.:)

Bunkie,

I'm a letter carrier, so I know your pain! :D

It really is an occupational hazard. One time we wore pedometers to see just how many miles we walked in an 8 hour shift. It was usually 8 or more and that was just at work! DH is retired USPS Bulk Mail Tech.

Percocet

yeah but it does squat for stiffness and mobility. and you can't drink nearly as much :eek:

I try and sit in the hot tub to impart some hydrotherapy. and the sauna. mmm dry heat.

you need an anti inflammatory. I had positive results with Humira.

Aaaahhhhhh, those heated loungers were HEAVEN!!!!! I think it was on the Norwegian Jewel that we decided to do the a weekly spa package and that was one of my favorite places to be. I just wish they were *a little* bit warmer.

Anyhow, thanks for all of the suggestions on dealing with the pain. I go see the orto on Thursday so we'll see what he says. It's just strange though, for the past 3-4 days my knee as almost felt "normal". ALMOST. I didn't realized that when you have arthritis that you'd have "normal" days. I just thought from what I've heard over the years that it's a constant thing. :confused:

I would avoid using stairs at ALL...use elevators whenever possible. I'm 52 with degenerative arthritis (caused by infectious arthritis, which wasn't caught quickly enough when I was in my early 30's), and am looking into a double-knee replacement within the next 3 years. It's one thing to see a physical therapist that teaches you the proper techniques to strengthen the muscles surrounding your knees, and "doing stairs", which will just further damage any (unless you are bone-on-bone, like me) cartilage you may have left.

Whenever we travel, I always bring the heat-wraps and ice-packs for discomfort. Last time we went to WDW, I even had "shoulder" heat wraps tied around my feet :rolleyes: during bed time. (my arthritis is in neck, knees, back, feet, wrists, shoulder, hips)

Most NSAIDs will work for a while, but after taking them so long, my stomach can't tolerate them any longer and will have to settle for a steriod taper-packet or cortisone injections. I got synvisc injections before our last trip (puts fluid back in your knee for lubrication), which could also be an option for you.

As to the Percocet...it really helped when we were in EPCOT with the pain walking. I didn't think it would, but after about 45 minutes I noticed I wasn't limping quite as bad. If you want to be able to drink a little more, you can ask for the version of Percocet or Vicodin that has ibuprofen vs Acetaminophen. Acetaminophen and alcohol and BAD BAD BAD for your liver!!!!

My 2 cents worth anyway!! Oh, and walking in sand with bad knees is NOT a good thing!

I didn't realized that when you have arthritis that you'd have "normal" days. I just thought from what I've heard over the years that it's a constant thing. :confused:

I was diagnosed when I was 5. I am now over 40.. if I didn't have a succession of 'normal' days I would have jumped off a bridge a LONG time ago. once you find meds that work your normal days will outweigh the pain filled ones, espeically if you learn how to compensate during daily activities.

Mine is RA, not Osteo but my right knee was the first joint diagnosed( every single joint is affected..lucky me) so Knee pain is no stranger to me.

you can still go out and do everything you like to do, you just have to recognize your limits and then ADMIT that you HAVE them and not pushing them.

In 1957, I was diagnosed with JRA at the beginning of 7th grade--my PE teacher noticed my red and swollen knees (in those ridiculous "gym shorts") and sent me to the school nurse. The nurse forced my mother to take me to the doctor by telling her I couldn't come back to school without a doctor's note. After several tests and my mother arguing with the doctor that what I had been feeling for years was just "growing pains," I was diagnosed (an ironically, never had another day of PE in the rest of my school career--doctor's orders!)

I was started on aspirin several times a day (an am living with the consequences of that) and over the years have taken every prescription NSAID known to man. I have also taken Methotrexate, Celebrex (which was NO cause for celebration,) Humira, etc. What is working...somewhat...at the moment is an older drug called Sulfasalazine.

Anyway, all this is just to say that the best thing you can do is keep moving. Even when my ankles looked like I had baseballs stuffed in my socks, I worked every day. I have come to realize that my mother's somewhat callous approach to anyone's illness but her own actually did me a big favor. It taught me early on to work through pain. I also learned to pace myself, plan ahead as much as possible, and to do what needed to be done when I felt "good." On the other hand, I learned not to over-do......that I would pay for it if I did.

All this is just to say.....enjoy yourself, keep moving and have a wonderful cruise!

• 2 months later...

I have RA, not Osteo, but here are a few more suggestions: Take the cool packs and the warm packs that you just have to open to make them turn hot and cold. Don't overdo it the first day. And I bring a little cane that folds into a stool. It's not a comfy seat, but it does let me get off my feet for a few minutes when I am in a long line. I don't know if you have to fly to get to your destination, but flying really messes with my joints. I think it is the air pressure changes combined with being folded into my seat like a pretzel. If you fly, try to get up and move around a bit, and do stretches in your seat.

I had both my knees replaced in 2007 and this past April climbed Diamond Head in Hawaii. Don't let your arthritis stop you from doing anything, just take precautions. Get a recommendation from your Dr for pain and keep moving, sit when you can and enjoy your trip.:)

Well said! If you wait until your pain goes away, you will probably go away first. Use your meds as you need them - and keep as active as much as you can. Do what you can do and don't over-do.

Interesting thread - I'm sitting here at the age of 56 recovering just 7 weeks after my left total knee replacement, which followed my right knee replacement last October. Both knees were severely damaged by RA. I now have new knees and am anxious to enjoy "normal" travel for the first time in a few years (my knees deteriorated very rapidly).

We never gave up on traveling. I used a good collapsible travel wheelchair and private tours in many ports last September on a cruise from Venice to Istanbul (we didn't miss much and had a great time). We went to three countries in Southern Africa three years ago. We did a Baltic cruise (on Magic) and a QM2 transatlantic. We've been to WDW and Disneyland several times in recent years. I've used canes, mobility scooters and wheelchairs and spent time with elevation and ice. Therapy pools also help.

I hope to walk as much as possible on our upcoming planned cruises. RA is not a nice disease - the medications I've used resulted in a recent diagnosis of osteoporosis. However, none of this will interfere with my goal of seeing as much of the world as possible. I may not be able to climb mountains, but I can still enjoy sidewalk cafes, museums, churches, beaches, etc. Cruising is a great way to travel with a disabling illness.

I am having hip replacement surgery soon and I used crutches on a recent cruise. They are a real pain to lug around but I was glad I had them them (along with pain meds). The only thing I couldn't do was snorkel because I couldn't chance not being able to use the ladder to get back on the boat, so I stayed on the snorkel boat when the others got in the water.

When I got back from the trip I bought a Leki Sierra anti-shock hiking stick (for use after surgery) that I've been using at the mall, etc. I love it. It telescopes and can fit into a carry on; it can be used as a hiking stick or cane, but it doesn't look like a cane. I am young like many of you and developed OA in my hips and knees as a result of working as a pharmacist. I hate that I need any assistance walking, but it is what it is.

Archived