More Problems for NCL Crown in Bermuda

Mark

icon_confused.gif For a second week in a row, NCL Crown is in Bermuda with sick passengers and crew! What gives with the Crown and when is NCL going to find a fix? There is already a threatened lawsuit by two lawyers who were on last week's cruise.

If you want more details, read it in the Bermuda Newspaper www.royalgazette.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark:

What gives with the Crown and when is NCL going to find a fix? There is already a threatened lawsuit by two lawyers who were on last week's cruise.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>What exactly would they sue for? Maybe the cruise line should deny boarding to any people that test positive for viruses or act sick? I think then there would be grounds for a lawsuit. I don't think sick passengers most likely made sick by other passengers is grounds for a lawsuit against NCL. Maybe I'm wrong?

Cecilia

I can be contacted at *****@aol.com

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;10;02;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

My Wedding!

i talked to ncl today, they told me that sailing got full refunds, i am sailing on same ship 5/9, they are offering full credit refunds, but as of now i am still going, i guess i will either gain 10lbs or lose it, hopefully we will have a great time and everybody will be healthy

Not sure what they expect to get from NCL if the ship has sick passengers. Everyone needs to be aware of illnesses and protect themselves accordingly. If each of us were to wash our hands or use an anti-bacterial a lot of these issues would be resolved. We need to take responsibility for ourselves and act accordingly rather than looking for someone with deep pockets to compensate us.

My two cents...

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;09;18;20;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Empress of the Seas 9/18/04 Pink Sand and Blue Waters of Bermuda

I am sure NCL is quaking in its boots about being threatened by two lawyers. I hope they live in Miami that is where you have to sue. The cruise line does have some obligation. If you go to restuarant and can prove you got sick from it, the restuarant is liable. It doesn't matter whether they were at fault or not. It goes back to english common law that makes the inn keeper responsible for everything that happens at the Inn. You'll note that states passed special laws to limit such liability. I don't want to do all the policy reasons behind this but suffice it to say, while this may not be the fault of NCL as a guest on their ship they are required to act reasonably.

I am so sorry to hear that the virus continues to exist on the Crown. If you search back on the CDC you can view outbreak listings for ships back to 1999. It is very rare for this to have continued this long. This week's voyage with just 24 or so passengers infected, does not meet the 3% of passenger load to require being reported. In the past when the virus has been a problem on multiple back to back sailings, the CDC has issued a 'no sail' recommendation. It may be the best way to 'break the cycle'

anyone wanting to see the latest news reports of the Crown can go to www.google.com click the link for news, put Norwegian Crown in the search box..after you get the listings you can then hit the link on right to sort by date. This will give you a listing of current articles in chronological order from newest to oldest scrolling down the screen.

Best of luck to this weeks cruisers -- may you have a healthy cruise

Chris Mitchell

16 Voyages completed 1999-2004, 81 wonderful days at sea

dreaming of ....

Norwegian Crown 8/04

Carnival Fascination 11/04

Hi Group,

We are sailing this Aug on the Dawn. It will be our 10th cruise but on different cruise lines and after reading about the "lawyers" who are sueing for getting sick i am wondering if i can or could have sued all the cruise lines i have sailed on for getting "SEASICK" all these years icon_confused.gif

Sometimes people just get carried away i think but than thats only my feelings

SAL Norwegian Dawn

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;08;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cmitch9999:

It is very rare for this to have continued this long.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hasn't it been just 2 weeks? I remember last year some ships having it go on for 4 to 5 weeks and eventually the ships had to cancel cruises. I don't remember the cruise lines that that happened to though.

I hope that NCL tells the two bozos that are bringing the class action lawsuit to take a hike. All they are trying to do is line their pockets with this class action lawsuit. People like that make me sick to my stomach.

Gordon

http://community.webshots.com/user/cruisingator

NCL Starward-86, Starship Atlantic-91, Caribe-92, Seabreeze-93, Fantasy-93, Norway-94, Celebration-94, Sensation-95, Imagination-96, Destiny-97, Celebration-98, Triumph-99, Victory-00, Majesty of the Seas-01, Fascination-01, Carnival Pride-02, Majesty of the Seas-02, Carnival Legend-02, Fantasy 7-03, Glory 9-03, Fantasy 11-03, Triumph 3/04.

9/02/2004 Fantasy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=808000&cdt=2004;9;2;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Navigator of the Seas 12/04/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;12;04;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

This is from CDC site

Norwegian Crown Voyages outbreak

3/7-3/22 77 pax , 10 crew reported illness

3/22-4/04 45 pax, 8 crew reported illness

4/25-5/2 43 pax, 2 crew reported illness

If you have been following the reviews from returning passengers, there have been reports of Norwalk on all voyages since March 7th. The CDC does not consider it an 'official' outbreak until at least 3% of the passengers are ill. (aprox 40+ on the Crown) This weeks voyage with 24 or so passengers reporting problems will not require 'official' reporting tho it shows a continued presence of the virus aboard the Crown.

Is the ship "sick"? It certainly appears so to me.

Chris Mitchell

dreaming of ....

Norwegian Crown 8/04

NCL has no control over the spread of any airborne illness. Get your flu shot every year. This will protect you from the flu. People don't go suing airlines over the spread of the SARS. Yes, we all must wash our hands regularly. How many times have you been in a public restroom and see someone walk out without washing their hands? Many viruses are spread (sorry to say this) through feces. If someone infected doesn't wash their hands, then they are responsible for the spread of the disease, not NCL. Bottom line, WASH YOUR HANDS!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;8;22;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

NCL Majesty

I've seen women just dip the fingertips of one hand under the faucet, then shake the fingertips dry. I'm often fascinated with the poor hygiene habits of people who appear very pulled together.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;5;9;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

5/9/04 Crown to Bermuda!

Here is the link from CDC on Norwalk like illness Questions and Answers

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-qa.htm

This website will answer questions about symptoms, treatment, prevention.

This is not an airborne transmitted virus-- in layman's terms it comes from someone who does not wash their hands properly after using the bathroom and they touch a surface and transmit the virus. The virus can last on a surface such as handrails, etc. for up to 2 weeks. If you touch the surface with the virus and then get the virus on your hands, and then put your hands in your mouth (or touch food with infected hands and then ingest the food) you will be getting the virus into your body.

the best prevention is proper handwashing -- and keeping your hands out of your mouth.

Chris Mitchell

dreaming of ....

Norwegian Crown 8/04

Didn't another cruisline have an outbreak of Norwalk last year? I think that the Crown is just having a string of bad luck. It stinks for those concerned, but sometimes these things happen.

Got2Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;7;11;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

till we sail ADVENTURE OF THE SEAS,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Host Cecilia:

Originally posted by Mark:

Maybe the cruise line should deny boarding to any people that test positive for viruses or act sick? I think then there would be grounds for a lawsuit.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's kind of funny that you mention this Cecilia. This is exactly what Princess was doing last year on some of their Alaska cruises in response to the Norwalk and SARS outbreaks. If you appeared sick or stated that you had recently been sick on their little questionnaire, they denied boarding and refunded your cruise fare.

KLC

UPCOMING CRUISES:

---------------------

PRIDE OF ???????-HAWAII (01/05)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;01;2;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

PREVIOUS CRUISES

-------------------------

RCI's Monarch of the Seas (01/04)

Star Princess (6/03)

RCI's Rhapsody of the Seas (4/01)

Carnival's Ecstasy (6/96)

RCI's Viking Serenade (1/94)

In November Celebrity gave us a form to fill out while we were waiting to board. If we had been sick within 72 hours we would not have been able to cruise. Of course this means everyone has to be honest; many, I am sure would not list a stomach virus if it meant no cruise. Another line had the same form over Christmas. I had a friend who did have either the flu or food poisoning the day before. They let her sail anyway cause it was a Christmas cruise with her entire family. She was quarenteened for the first 48 hours. NMNita

Commodore 1984, Costa 1985, RCL 1987, Chandris 1989, NCL 1989, Commodore, 1991, NCL 1997, Carnival 1997, Carnival 1998,NCL 1998, NCL 1999, RCL 2000, RCL 2000, NCL 2002,NCL 2003, Celebrity 2003, NCL 2004

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SailorsMate:

No, I couldn't get it to work- which is why I did my own search- what I posted was from the Fox News link and probably was a rehash of the Royal Gazette- whatever that is, report.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Royal Gazette

Seaward 1/89,Southward II 1/91,Windward 10/93,

Norway 3/94,4/96

Dreamward 4/97

Dream 12/99

QE2 4/02

Carnival Spirit 7/02

NCL Sun 10/03

NCL Dawn 2/03,7/03,2/04

No Clock = No Next Cruise

Remember that the CDC counts are the reported cases. On my NCL norwalk Dream cruise there were many many that never reported it.

NCL Norway 2/00 - Eastern Carib. poke.gif

Costa Atlantica 2/01 - Western Carib. icon_biggrin.gif

Costa Atlantica 2/02 - Eastern Carib. icon_biggrin.gif

NCL Dream 3/03 Valparaiso - Miami orangehat.gif

Costa Mediterranea 3/04 Western Carib. icon_eek.gif

icon_wink.gif Proud member of the PPS-Passport Pusher Society icon_wink.gif

~~ www.savemartha.com ~~

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cmitch9999:

This is from CDC site Norwegian Crown Voyages outbreak

3/7-3/22 77 pax , 10 crew reported illness

3/22-4/04 45 pax, 8 crew reported illness

4/25-5/2 43 pax, 2 crew reported illness<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Seems as though the numbers are going down. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I've seen women just dip the fingertips of one hand under the faucet, then shake the fingertips dry. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I saw or read somewhere that you should wash your hands for 15 seconds to make sure they're clean. A good way to remember to wash that long is to sing Happy Birthday to yourself. That takes about 15 seconds. That's what I do. <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> It's kind of funny that you mention this Cecilia. This is exactly what Princess was doing last year on some of their Alaska cruises in response to the Norwalk and SARS outbreaks. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Hmmm...I guess they had real concern. So could passengers sue or would they just be owed a refund? I'd guess that if public health is at issue, all they would deserve would be a refund.

Yes, it looks like the numbers are going down.

to put the statistics in perspective...

Crown full capacity 1,104 passengers

if 24 got ill on 5/2 voyage, that means 1,080 stayed healthy!

aprox 2 out of 100 were affected.

98% came thru fine....

still if you are in that unlucky 2%...don't think these statistics make you feel much better. icon_smile.gif

Chris Mitchell

dreaming of ....

Norwegian Crown 8/04

Archived