I will never cruise with Carnival again, and here's why...

kingpinJK

I've never cruised with them, but I think that is what NCL offers. I guess you will find out in a few weeks. Have fun!

NCL offers a MDR to go along with the specialty restaurants. What I'm suggesting for Carnival is no MDR at all. It would be quite a radical change for sure.

Why do people feel the need to dismiss others complaints. Just because they are things that don't matter to you doesn't mean they dont impact someones vacation. I bet there are things you feel are important that I would say are silly but that's doesn't make them less valid.

But again it goes along with the blind loyalty that people have to one cruise line.

Never said they weren't valid. Just other than the bed complaints were minor.

They don't change the shows often due to cost of sets and outfits. They do change them up a bit.

It is the advent of the specialty restaurants on all the cruise ships that has doomed the food in the MDR. You can still get great food on a cruise ship (CCL, RCI, NCL), but you have to pay extra for it. As a for profit company, it makes sense to offer average food in the MDR so that people are forced to pay more in the specialty venue. Pure business. It won't change until people, in sufficient numbers, refuse to cruise or spend the extra bucks.

As I have said before, it doesn't bother me. I'm not on cruise for the food. I won't go hungry and I'm in the Caribbean baby!!!!

It's my belief that surcharge restaurants and any of the things they charge extra for are a result of the lines needing to find a way to make a profit without raising the prices (which in turn could make them lose a huge part of their customer base)

In order for rates to stay low, they have to make revenue up somehow...so they cut as much as they can and then add the upcharge options to try to get some profit from that.

SO..I think the surcharge restaurants are a result of the lines having a valid fear of raising rates to cover better food and proper amount of wait staff in the mdrs.

Considering the responses on threads such as this, the cruise lines have asbolutely made the right decision to keep rates low.

Low rates, it seems is a great part of why people cruise CCL.

HEY!!!!!!!!!! You might be surprised how much "action in the afternoon" some of us long long long time married folks get! LOL!

That's only 'cause we can't stay awake at night.

I have to jump in here to say that the food in the MDR is and has always been good for us. We usually travel with no less than 6 others and never did we have a "poor" quality of food. Also, where can you pay so little for all of the food choices, room service, cabin, and entertainment.

Oh, well next time i'll consult you as to what i can do and not do on my next vacation, oh great king of the world.

I can't keep up with this thread and haven't read it all - but dude, come on! Someone replies to your negative posts and negative thread, and merely SUGGESTS that a cruise may not be your type of vacation if you get bored that easily - and you post this as a reply?

Are you really a chick? And PMS-ing? Because I've gotten on boards and posted when PMS-ing and it's really not a good idea, let me tell ya......

All I want from my cruise is to be on a big ol' ship, have a deckchair in the sun with a book, and eat some food.

..Trin..

I can't keep up with this thread and haven't read it all - but dude, come on! Someone replies to your negative posts and negative thread, and merely SUGGESTS that a cruise may not be your type of vacation if you get bored that easily - and you post this as a reply?

Maybe it's because you haven't read the whole thing (not that I blame you!) But the point is the OP likes cruising and has enjoyed his previous cruises prior to this...including his previous CCL cruises.

This particular one was disappointing.

So no, the suggestion for him to stop cruising wasn't exactly a well thought out one.

He cruised CCL befoe and what he experienced this time was NOT what he was used to experiencing on his CCL cruises. His expectations were not met.

I don't understand why this isn't registering for some....

he's got 2 choices.

1) in the future, lower his expectations

2) just sail another line.

It seems that for now, he's chosen option #2...not such a big deal and I don't know why it pisses people off.

LOL..everyone is connected to a string papercup phone line not getting the whole thing and reacting to a fairly fair pros and cons reviewer when you really read his points..i just hope to go and buy a good steak when I want it..30 and under restaurant or on land..and have no one else's body hair on my sheets but me and mine..LOL...Sarah

PS I do get the sad slow decline with dollar and trying to keep the masses afloat as i am one of them, :(, :))..both emotions..S.

Maybe it's because you haven't read the whole thing (not that I blame you!) But the point is the OP likes cruising and has enjoyed his previous cruises prior to this...including his previous CCL cruises.

This particular one was disappointing.

So no, the suggestion for him to stop cruising wasn't exactly a well thought out one.

He cruised CCL befoe and what he experienced this time was NOT what he was used to experiencing on his CCL cruises. His expectations were not met.

I don't understand why this isn't registering for some....

he's got 2 choices.

1) in the future, lower his expectations

2) just sail another line.

It seems that for now, he's chosen option #2...not such a big deal and I don't know why it pisses people off.

So if the others were fine, and it's only this particular one that was disappointing, is it fair the OP is deciding to give up the entire line? Why is option 3 not try a different ship in the fleet? Giving up cruising isn't the answer, but giving up Carnival, altogether, is?

So if the others were fine, and it's only this particular one that was disappointing, is it fair the OP is deciding to give up the entire line? Why is option 3 not try a different ship in the fleet? Giving up cruising isn't the answer, but giving up Carnival, altogether, is?

If the things he is having issues with are fleetwide option three isn't much of an option.

I wouldn't do it over one sailing, but not everyone is me.

(and I haven't...hence my last 3 cruises which haven't changed my mind truthfully)

There is no reason to BASH this person for their decision.

Why does everyone HAVE to like any cruise line?? Posters here take it personally if someone else chooses not to cruise their particular favorite.

If everyone loved CCL, the increased rates (due to supply/demand) would knock out more than 3/4 of the loyalists. Thank goodness it's not everyone's cup of tea!

"is it fair?"

I don't understand why you care what line a stranger chooses to sail.

Thanks for writing and sharing your review. We are booked on the Conquest next year. I'm sorry you didn't fully enjoy your cruise, but I appreciated your interview. Everything wasn't perfect but you didn't hate everything either. I don't put much stock in reviews where it's all one big complaint, but yours was balanced. I don't agree with some of the things that bothered you, but it was your cruise, not mine.

We rarely turn the TV on in the stateroom. Now if I was sick, confined to the bed, that would be different. But for myself, I can watch TV at home and really am not all that interested in doing it on a cruise.

As far as the hairy bed, now that would bother me, most definitely!! Ack!! :(

As far as the food goes, if I don't have to shop for it, cook it, serve it or clean up after it I'm golden. :) We are not hard to please in that department.

And I'm not one to rate something with either 1 star (hate it) or 5 stars (love it). I am willing to go in between. As in school grades, it isn't always an A or an E, it is sometimes a B or C maybe. If a person is unwilling to consider something average, then they will probably be more disappointed than someone else would be.

I did enjoy your pictures! :)

Ask the hostess when you check in. Yes, it can be a little longer at times. They were going to seat us near a kitchen door one night but my wife, who isn't afraid to speak up, insisted that won't do. In five minutes our party of 5 were sitting by a window.

I have found ATD to be much like a land based restaurant, sometimes you wait, sometimes you don't. Peak times always seemed to be about 7-8PM.

Thanks for the answer! I guess I didn't make myself clear. I was thinking about specify a table for the entire cruise. There have been posts that made me think that's possible.

But on second thought, I think your method of just asking it for the night is better. There are so few good tables I really don't want to monopolize one. That way hopefully everyone will have a turn at a good table at least once.

You raise a good point and its one I've mentioned before. If Carnival is that serious about continuing to degrade MDR food (it sure appears apparent) then do away with the MDR all together. I'd like to see a new ship from Carnival that gives you two options for dinner - buffet or one of 6 or 7 specialty restaurants. The specialty restaurant food should be gourmet quality. That way if a customer chooses buffet style food then they can have it for the price included in their cruise fare otherwise they pay $25 or $30 for guaranteed gourmet quality food.

That's what you get at any run of the mill "all inclusive" resort.

You raise a good point and its one I've mentioned before. If Carnival is that serious about continuing to degrade MDR food (it sure appears apparent) then do away with the MDR all together. I'd like to see a new ship from Carnival that gives you two options for dinner - buffet or one of 6 or 7 specialty restaurants. The specialty restaurant food should be gourmet quality. That way if a customer chooses buffet style food then they can have it for the price included in their cruise fare otherwise they pay $25 or $30 for guaranteed gourmet quality food.

Sounds like when we cruised NCL, they did have a MDR but food was mediocre. They really pushed the speacialty restaurants of which there were 7. I for one did not like NCL at all. IMHO if you did not go to a pay for restaurant then service and food were awful on NCL.

If the things he is having issues with are fleetwide option three isn't much of an option.

Yeah, except I don't buy that even within a fleet, everything is exactly the same. The offering itself, yes, but the preparation and the outcome, no.

I also doubt he would be guaranteed hair on his sheets or a busted television on every ship.

I wouldn't do it over one sailing, but not everyone is me.

(and I haven't...hence my last 3 cruises which haven't changed my mind truthfully)

There is no reason to BASH this person for their decision.

Why does everyone HAVE to like any cruise line?? Posters here take it personally if someone else chooses not to cruise their particular favorite.

If everyone loved CCL, the increased rates (due to supply/demand) would knock out more than 3/4 of the loyalists. Thank goodness it's not everyone's cup of tea!

"is it fair?"

I don't understand why you care what line a stranger chooses to sail.

I'm not saying his complaints are/aren't legit. Everyone has personal preferences and standards, and weighs them differently. I certainly don't think I've "bashed" the OP for anything. But my question was, why are his only options to stop cruising or to cruise another line?

Giving up an entire brand for one bad experience, though having had several successes in the past, is akin to eating at a chain restaurant many times, then deciding to boycott every location of that restaurant after one bad dining experience. Even though the different chain locations are run by different managers, may be held to different standards, bring their ingredients and waitstaff in from different regions, etc.

Yeah, except I don't buy that even within a fleet, everything is exactly the same. The offering itself, yes, but the preparation and the outcome, no.

I also doubt he would be guaranteed hair on his sheets or a busted television on every ship.

I'm not saying his complaints are/aren't legit. Everyone has personal preferences and standards, and weighs them differently. I certainly don't think I've "bashed" the OP for anything. But my question was, why are his only options to stop cruising or to cruise another line?

Giving up an entire brand for one bad experience, though having had several successes in the past, is akin to eating at a chain restaurant many times, then deciding to boycott every location of that restaurant after one bad dining experience. Even though the different chain locations are run by different managers, may be held to different standards, bring their ingredients and waitstaff in from different regions, etc.

While I might be inclined to give a restaurant another chance a cost of a meal is not the cost of a cruise. If I don't feel that I've received a good value for my vacation dollar than I would look elsewhere, too (fortunately that hasn't happened yet and I doubt it will happen next year, either). (And I did swear off a chain fast-food restaurant back in the '70's because of one bad meal;) although it was my first meal in that chain.)

I just thought i'd comment on this... In the past, my wife and I have "given up" on entire chains of restaurants which we no longer patronize because of bad experiences. We won't even shop at wal*mart due to a VERY bad experience at one of their stores.

I feel that companies have to give me a certain level of service for my money, especially if they've built up an expectation from me for having excellent service in the past.

CCL had previously earned my future business(did any of you actually read that i bought a FCC onboard my last cruise?), but as of this last sailing, I don't feel they're deserving of my money any longer.

You will all have to excuse my absence last night. A family friend on my wife's side is in the hospital and we were visiting them last night.

i will work more on my review today.

Hope your friend gets well soon and carrey on as you were..LOL...and thanks for not taking it all too personally..pros and cons..your opinion and decisions appreciated as much as anyone else's..there have been some good reviews lately too but so sad food going downhill for many and some hosekeeping things..yikes, hope this keeps Carnival aware and able to bring it back to par for many past travellers....sounds like about my last cruise time..09...Sarah

Giving up an entire brand for one bad experience, though having had several successes in the past, is akin to eating at a chain restaurant many times, then deciding to boycott every location of that restaurant after one bad dining experience. .

If he doesn't ever set for on a Carnival ship again, who cares???

Why does this bother you so much?

I can tell you that CCL doesn't give a rat's butt. They always have someone else to fill that cabin.

CCL had previously earned my future business(did any of you actually read that i bought a FCC onboard my last cruise?), but as of this last sailing, I don't feel they're deserving of my money any longer.

That makes sense to me. I don't understand all the fuss.

If he doesn't ever set for on a Carnival ship again, who cares???

Why does this bother you so much?

I can tell you that CCL doesn't give a rat's butt. They always have someone else to fill that cabin.

You probably shouldn't read review threads at all then, if you seriously just think "that's nice, who cares?" to all of them. Why do people write reviews at all? Because they want others to share in their experiences. Doesn't mean my sharing in it is to eat it all with a silver spoon and not question any of it.

And no, it doesn't matter to me if he sails elsewhere or never again. Was just pointing out his overall track record with Carnival has been positive, so one bad cruise (when bad is even subject to word choice) should probably be taken with a grain of salt.

Archived