Alaska??

UpcountryTravelers

Ok, the Kenai river is more centrally located and is in less of a wilderness location. There is fishing available, float trips, glacier cruises, etc, and a very nice lodge.

Copper river, otoh, is in a much more remote location. There will be a much more wilderness feel to the place because it is far away from any high traffic areas. Kenai lodge, is near one of the busiest summer roads in Alaska.

So, it depends on what you are looking for. For a trip with remote feel and more of a wilderness experience, go to copper river. If you want to be where the action is-fishing wise, go the Kenai river.

I have been to the Kenai lodge and can attest that is it rustic luxury. I imagine the copper river lodge is as nice. Kenai has a lot of little cabins. It looks like Copper river only has rooms.

Good luck in deciding......

I have visited the Kenai Princess Lodge and have stayed at the Copper River Princess Lodge. Both are wonderful! The food we had at the Copper River Lodge was unbelievable, and the surroundings were beautiful! The Kenai Lodge sits on a cliff overlooking the river and has cabins. If you book a cruisetour that includes the Copper River Lodge, you'll get to visit both because I think they take you to the Kenai Lodge right after Copper River and right before your cruise.

There is more to consider, in my opinion, than the "lodge". What activites are you looking at? What is the cruisetour itinerary- sometimes with the Copper Lodge- it has a poorly arranged transit that includes the fast ferry to Valdez, then no time there. With one night at Copper River, you are very limited, since the most impressive area is getting to McCarthy/Kennicott, which is a full day trip. Some do have a Denali Highway transit which is excellent. You also need to look carefully at Denali Park.

Same with the Kenai Princess, It is a 2 hour round trip to Seward.

Neither are any locations I am at without a car. They both are remote and you will be dependent on Princess shuttle services, and tour for many activities.

Be well aware of differences, time and distances required etc. Don't make any assumptions, it likely will not be accurate. Dig deeper for information so you can make an informed decision on your tour.

Staying at Copper River does not definitely include stay at Kenai Princess. It all depends on which cruise tour you choose. My cruise buddies and myself are heading in 3 entirely different directions once we depart the ship. One couple will go to Copper River, Denali, Mt McKinley and back to Anchorage. The other couple will go to Kenai Princess, Denali Princess and Fairbanks. We, on the other hand are renting a car and seeing far more opportunities and freedom than our traveling companions. We will, however, all meet in Denali where we will all take the WonderLake Shuttle instead of the Princess tours into Denali.

I totally agree with BQ. I've been to both lodges; while they are both beautiful they are extremely isolated. Both are a few miles off the hwy so you can't even walk to anything. You are at the mercy of a Princess shuttle or Princess excursion.

I'd go as far as to say....they aren't destinations in their own right; they're places to stay on your way to somewhere else. Copper River is a nice spot to stay if you're going to Wrangell St Elias and the Kenai is a nice spot to stay if you're heading to Homer.

So instead of basing your choice on one of the lodge, make your choice based on the overall itinerary. Which itinerary supports your interests ?

Archived