Best travel insurance for a South Pacific cruise

Aussie71

In the past, we have purchased a few different kinds of travel insurance. Does anyone have any recommendations? I am looking at travel insurance dot com, as it is a fair bit cheaper. Has anyone has used this insurance supplier before for cruising?

Hi Aussie71,

In the past ive used 1cover.com.au both for a trip to the United Kingdom and to Vanuatu (about 8 of us used them for the Vanuatu trip) and I find them to be very reasonably priced. Thankfully, I didnt need them either time so I can't comment on them from a "claim" perspective, but I will probably use them again for our cruise in August. Hope this helps! :-)

I used 1Cover back in 2009 and found them reasonably priced. So rebooked for our 2012 cruise. Have never made a claim with them before, so can't comment personally, but from what I have read claims are handled quickly and hassle free.

:)

Thanks for your responses. I will investigate further I think.

Travel Insurance Direct dot com (sorry typo in the original post) is a lot cheaper especially for a family and it's even possible to remove the excess for $25.00. All kids travelling are free.

I just don't know it seems too good to be true. Maybe they are difficult to make a claim through?

I have been reading reviews on the different travel insurances, however it is really hard to judge the reviews because no one (reading the posts) really knows if the consumers claims were allowable as per the insurance product disclosure. It could be a case of sour grapes. I know once we used travel insurance through our private health care company. Never again, we had a problem making a very small claim. Our baggage went missing for a number of days and subsequently returned to the airlines days later by the family who mistakenly took it off from the luggage collection area. We purchased the essential items that were required. As we were honest to report our bag had been returned a couple of days later, the claim was denied, even though we had the relevant airlines paperwork to say it had gone missing.

Since the 'bad' experience I have paid extra for insurance through Covermore (available through my local travel agency). We have also purchased 1cover Ski Insurance, because it is best to get specific insurance for snow activities. Fortunately we have never had to make claims.

Has anyone used Travel Insurance Direct dot com, or are there any online travel insurers that I should advoid like the plague?

We have used Travel Insurance Direct but, I am glad to say, haven't had to make a claim. I can't say how good they are at paying out.

For years we relied on the 'free' insurance with Gold (now Platinum) Visa card. We had a large claim and it was paid without a problem and our son had an ever larger claim (many days hospitalisation in Europe) and it was also paid without a problem. :) With this 'free' insurance there is a $200 excess, but we felt we weren't insuring for the small stuff, just major claims and we were happy to pay the excess.

The only time we had problems having a claim paid was when we had travel insurance through our Medical Benefits Fund, and it was for a dental emergency that occurred in Europe. If I had to have the dental treatment in Aust they would have had to cover it anyway but didn't want to pay for the overseas treatment.

We had to get travel insurance for my mother to go a cruise with us. We did it through Westpac and my mother was 83 at time of travel. We were pleasantly surprised at the cost as all other insurers don't like to give elderly citizens Travel Insurance once they are over 80. Now we didn't need to claim [thank goodness] but they were reasonably priced and easy to deal with. I hope whoever you go through , you won't need to claim and have a wonderful trip.

TID is excellent from a claims perspective. My son and his friends were involved in a motor bike accident in northern Thailand a couple of years ago and they were simply brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've has several quotes in NZ for travel insurance, all around $45-50 for 1 person, 9 days. Checked the P&O website for a comparison and theirs was $AU100 so think I'll stick with NZ. 1Cover, Tower and State were all similar.

Have had Gold Mastercard cover in the past and the one time I had to make a claim for a medical issue in the US, they were excellent.

Thank you all for the great information. I think that I might give TID ago this time. My quote was $87 plus another $25 if I want to scrap the $100 excess. This was for a family of 4 (2 adults 2 children).

I had checked out the P&O website. Their recommended insurer was more expensive for us. Might be competitive for singles or couples though.

Thank you all for the great information. I think that I might give TID ago this time. My quote was $87 plus another $25 if I want to scrap the $100 excess. This was for a family of 4 (2 adults 2 children).

I had checked out the P&O website. Their recommended insurer was more expensive for us. Might be competitive for singles or couples though.

Can recommend TID as being excellent to deal with, we are both over 60 and rates are good, had to claim when we had the Ash Problem, nothing was a problem and we were reimbursed quickly, with no questions asked. Will continue to use them again..

Cheers Isajack

Thanks Isajack. Did you also find them cheaper?

Yes I did alot of research before deciding with TID, a friend on a cruise a couple of years ago had to be taken off the ship in Fiji because of stomach problems, he was hospitalised and then flown home with an Australian Doctor to Tasmania on a Qantas flight, TID paid all their expenses and was phoning his wife everyday to see if they could do more, they were 100% happy with the service.

Regards

Isajack:)

We tend to use Covermore and I have had to make 2 claims with them in the past 7 yrs... one after being mugged in Milan and one after losing a phone in Las Vegas - Both times the matter was handle swiftly with pretty good results. We are using them again for our next cruise on Pacific Dawn in 3 weeks - touch wood (head) we won't need to make a claim!

If you google travel insurance discounts there is a code to get a discount for TID. I just bought insurance and the code still works, saved another 10% :).

We have used Southern Cross Travel Insurance many many many times .... they are keenly priced and are the only one's who will insure my heart disorder....$50.00 more on premium....bargain.. Haven't had a claim so can't comment.... cheers Shiona

• 1 month later...

I would never used Southern Cross again. Used them as being an aussie/nz company thought I would give the locals a go and their policy seemed to be in reasonably plain english.

Had to cancel a trip to Europe and it took several, I think something like 3 - 4 months to sort out after a very long battle. They tried to say my breast cancer was a pre existing illness, I had to cancel the trip due to chemo treatment etc.

Since then I have used covermore and am about to check out TID

• 1 month later...
I would never used Southern Cross again. Used them as being an aussie/nz company thought I would give the locals a go and their policy seemed to be in reasonably plain english.

Had to cancel a trip to Europe and it took several, I think something like 3 - 4 months to sort out after a very long battle. They tried to say my breast cancer was a pre existing illness, I had to cancel the trip due to chemo treatment etc.

Since then I have used covermore and am about to check out TID

Was wondering how you went with TID as just went to check them out and cancer was not covered...DH has controlled prostate cancer so back to Worldcare TI

Archived