Carnival Glory Jan 22, 2012 = Belize Port CANCELLED

SmileEh

Are you kidding me Carnival Cruise Lines!!!!! Just saw the email stating our port into Belize has been cancelled and are redirecting our day into Costa Maya, Mexico... I soooo wanted to go cave-tubing in Belize but guess that's not gonna happen... now I need to jump on the web and figure out what the heck there is to do in Costa Maya? The thing that gets me is the reason... the email states:

Much to our regret, we are forced to cancel our call into Belize due to port congestion. Although we have a confirmed berth in Belize, local officials recently accepted calls for additional ships. Consequently, their tender capacity is not able to effectively handle the increased volume of guests without creating long delays and limiting your time ashore.

Therefore, in order to provide you a better port experience, we have replaced our call to Belize with a visit to Costa Maya. We've also added an additional hour in the beautiful port of Cozumel for your enjoyment.

To me this seems weird... why is it not the ships that recently got accepted be the ships that are getting cancelled... I booked this itinerary cuz it went to Belize... soooo flipp'in mad!

FYI: This Itinerary Change is for the following sail dates:

Jan 22, 2012; Feb 5, 2012; Feb 19, 2012; Mar 4, 2012; Mar 18, 2012

I am fine with this change, read about it last weekend. I really wouldnt want to tender in with this many ships in port. As it is the tender takes 25-30 minutes, add to that 5 or 6 ships , I cant imagine how long it would take to go to and from the island. :eek: In this case I think they were looking out for our best interest and not subjecting us to hour ( on top of the half hour tender) or more waits both ways.

I am fine with this change, read about it last weekend. I really wouldnt want to tender in with this many ships in port. As it is the tender takes 25-30 minutes, add to that 5 or 6 ships , I cant imagine how long it would take to go to and from the island. :eek: In this case I think they were looking out for our best interest and not subjecting us to hour ( on top of the half hour tender) or more waits both ways.

I agree. I'm glad CARNIVAL cancelled this port due to congestion. Sounds like the Port of Belize bit off more than they could chew. I've been to both ports. I'm kinds glad it was switched cuz I had no plans for Belize. Costa Maya will be a good beach day for us now.

I agree, Tendering takes long enough....add 5 or 6 ships in that port at one time and it them quickly can become a nightmare!!! I am sure Carnival decided to avoid that horrible wait lines and congestion and irrate cruise passengers trying to get off or back to the ship!!!

The Cave tubing is great (went there last October) but Costa Maya is a nice relaxing day......may I suggest Maya Chan for the day!!!! check out their web site. We went there as well on our DREAM cruise last October and had a great time! Take a deep breathe and get reinspired for a new port of call :) Hope you have a GREAT cruise!

btw, loved Costa Maya. Belize not so much and we did do the cave tubing there.

Go to the Ports of Call boards and look up Costa Maya. Be sure to lunch at a restaurant called 100% Agave...its amazing.

There is a whole thread about it on the Costa Maya Ports of Call board!

You will love CM, I promise!!!!! :D

We're not unhappy with the change either... Never been to Costa Maya just have to figure out what to do there... BTW, is it a tender port or dock?

Dock, if you are at all interested in Mayan ruins check out "The Native Choice".

Maya Chan Beach is really nice and they only accept a small number of guests per day and you have your own reserved area. All inclusive food and drink. You book directly with them at costamayabeachresortdotcom.

Are you kidding me Carnival Cruise Lines!!!!! Just saw the email stating our port into Belize has been cancelled and are redirecting our day into Costa Maya, Mexico... I soooo wanted to go cave-tubing in Belize but guess that's not gonna happen... now I need to jump on the web and figure out what the heck there is to do in Costa Maya? The thing that gets me is the reason... the email states:

Much to our regret, we are forced to cancel our call into Belize due to port congestion. Although we have a confirmed berth in Belize, local officials recently accepted calls for additional ships. Consequently, their tender capacity is not able to effectively handle the increased volume of guests without creating long delays and limiting your time ashore.

Therefore, in order to provide you a better port experience, we have replaced our call to Belize with a visit to Costa Maya. We've also added an additional hour in the beautiful port of Cozumel for your enjoyment.

To me this seems weird... why is it not the ships that recently got accepted be the ships that are getting cancelled... I booked this itinerary cuz it went to Belize... soooo flipp'in mad!

Sailing on Glory March 4th and we are really upset that we are not going to Belize! :mad: I called to try to change to another sailing, but ALL Belize stops are cancelled. We booked this trip specifically to go to Belize - Great snorkling and great pharmacy!

Oh well... Haven't been to Costa Maya since the 2007 hurricane so it will be interesting to see the the changes.

Why would you be upset with Carnival? Belize took the cash from overbooking and Carnival realized this would make tendering back and forth an unbelievable mess for it's passengers (that's you) so they booked a better port...with a dock (no tendering). If they had gone to Belize with that many ships, you and others would have posted complaints about Carnival tendering and the delays. I realize you have to change plans just before you sail, but if you think about it - you will have a MUCH better port day because Carnival knows what they are doing.

Why would you be upset with Carnival? Belize took the cash from overbooking and Carnival realized this would make tendering back and forth an unbelievable mess for it's passengers (that's you) so they booked a better port...with a dock (no tendering). If they had gone to Belize with that many ships, you and others would have posted complaints about Carnival tendering and the delays. I realize you have to change plans just before you sail, but if you think about it - you will have a MUCH better port day because Carnival knows what they are doing.

I agree with kroozers. This is not a Carnival issue. Its a belize issue. Kudos to carnival for anticipating what would certainly turn into a huge mess and adjusting accordingly. Also, while I have never been to Belize, from what I have heard from friends, its no great loss.

Sailing on Glory March 4th and we are really upset that we are not going to Belize! :mad: I called to try to change to another sailing, but ALL Belize stops are cancelled. We booked this trip specifically to go to Belize - Great snorkling and great pharmacy!

Oh well... Haven't been to Costa Maya since the 2007 hurricane so it will be interesting to see the the changes.

The Dream is still going to Belize...

We're not unhappy with the change either... Never been to Costa Maya just have to figure out what to do there... BTW, is it a tender port or dock?

a tender port is where the ship stays out in the water and you have to get on a small boat (a tender) that takes you to shore.

When you dock you get off the ship and on to land.

it is a docked port :D much prefer these over tender ports.

thanks tassycatt... i really did know the difference but didn't know if Costa Maya was a tender ride or has a dock... lol..

thanks hockeyluver... i like docked better too :)

I am so glad I found these posts! My husband and I are leaving Miami March 4th, and were SO looking forward to Belize. I have even booked a snorkel excursion. I guess I'll have to try and cancel that now. Bummer. I am so glad to read all of the wonderful comments on Costa Maya!! Now we don't feel so bad about the port change. We'll have a great time! :)

Absolutely DITTO DITTO DITTO from us..March 18 sailing!

I am so glad I found these posts! My husband and I are leaving Miami March 4th, and were SO looking forward to Belize. I have even booked a snorkel excursion. I guess I'll have to try and cancel that now. Bummer. I am so glad to read all of the wonderful comments on Costa Maya!! Now we don't feel so bad about the port change. We'll have a great time! :)

You can add mine also. Wonderful stop. I've been to both and IMHO there is no comparison. Costa Maya wins hands down. You'll love it. :)

We've been to both and I can remember when we stopped at Belize there was this blitz of ragtag looking little boats coming out to take us to land, I guess we made it all right and I will miss the tour of Mayan ruins we had booked. Costa Maya is one of those little places the cruise lines have funded to be built, lovely and nice if you want to just relax on a beach, although the last time we were there we did a tour of one of their ruins and it was very interesting. Still we'll be on a cruise, what else could you want.

• 11 months later...

We sail 04/21/13 & that is the reason we booked our specific cruise was to go to Belize & Cay Caulkner as we haven't been there. I will be very upset if they cancel this for us in April. I agree that it is good if the port is too crowded however this might be enough for us to cancel & go with another cruise line. Carnival cancelled both of our planned excursions on our cruise in 03/2012 so this will be the last straw for us. :confused:

Archived