Venice at the start of the cruise

Gabrielle R.

OK, my DH & I are doing the Med for our 25th wedding anniversary. WE are doing the land tour first and then get on the ship in Venice.

First: anyone know about what time Princess will get us to Venice for that first day?

Second: Where does the ship dock? (It's the Crown)

Third: I want to go explore Venice ASAP- once we drop our stuff off. I've been to Venice years ago, but for DH, it is his first time. Does the Crown have a water shuttle to the city? Where would it drop us off- if they do? IF the Crown doesn't have a shuttle, What would you suggest?

THANKS for any advice!

Gabrielle

On Princess ships departing from Venice, if you're overnighting the first night Princess will put water bus shuttle tickets in every cabin and charge your account $20.00 pp.

The water bus/shuttle will run from the cruise terminal and drop you at Piazza San Marco, and will return to the ship from the same drop off spot . the water shuttles usually run until 11:00pm, and btw your same ticket is also good the next morning .

Enjoy Venice !

Srpilo

The ship will dock at the cruise terminal.

Even if the ship offers the vaporetto ticket from the terminal to St. Marks, be aware it does not take the route along the Grand canal.

If time allows, you should take DH on a vaporetto ride on the Grand Canal. You can take the People Mover for 1 Euro each from the port entrance to Plaza Roma where you can get the Grand Canal Vaporetto to St. Marks.

Be aware there are two routes that do this, Vaporetto 1 which makes more stops and will take about 46 minutes and Vaporetto 2 which makes less stops and thus takes only about 24 minutes. Same scenery with either.

On Princess ships departing from Venice, if you're overnighting the first night Princess will put water bus shuttle tickets in every cabin and charge your account $20.00 pp.

The water bus/shuttle will run from the cruise terminal and drop you at Piazza San Marco, and will return to the ship from the same drop off spot . the water shuttles usually run until 11:00pm, and btw your same ticket is also good the next morning .

Enjoy Venice !

Srpilo

When did the price go up to $20? Last year it was $15.

I found the best option was to take the monorail (People Mover) that runs from the cruise terminal to Piazzale Roma. The People Mover station is less than a five-minute walk from the ship, and once you get to Piazzale Roma (after a five minute ride) you have many wandering or vaporetto options.

I found the best option was to take the monorail (People Mover) that runs from the cruise terminal to Piazzale Roma. The People Mover station is less than a five-minute walk from the ship, and once you get to Piazzale Roma (after a five minute ride) you have many wandering or vaporetto options.

The people mover is also great to take one stop down from the cruise terminal to the Co-Op store whene you can stock up for your voyage.....:):):)

Bob

We visted Venice prior to our Carnival Magic cruise last year! Venice is such a great city and one of the best places I have ever been. We spent 3 days and 2 nights in Venice before boarding the boat and still feel like there is more to see. I would come in at least a day early to give yourself some extra time.

The vaporetto water bus system is cheap, reliable and very easy to navigate. Print a map off from online before you go.

The People Mover will get you from the Cruise Port to the Mainland of Venice. From here it is just a short walk to the vaporetto station. We purchased a 3 day unlimited pass. Between walking and the vaporetto that it all we needed.

When did the price go up to $20? Last year it was $15.

I was there in Oct and I thought it was $20.00 (could be wrong??) , I know in 2010 it was $15.00, just seem to remember the $20.00 number this last time...

But hey what's $5.00, I've been known to be a big spender :D:D:D

Srpilo

I've read that if you don't want the shuttle tickets they can be returned to the Shore Excursion desk...do you know if that's an option? I prefer to get a multi day vaporetto pass after arriving in Venice to overnight on the Crown before sailing on the next cruise.

We had 5 days in Venice prior to our TA on the Ruby in October, our 3rd time there in 5 years - still wasn't enough. We got the multi day Vaporetta pass and used the people mover which was 1Euro. We dropped our shuttle tickets back at the tour desk and weren't charged for those. I do believe it was $15 but can't remember.

Enjoy Venice, it's my favourite city

Terry

I've read that if you don't want the shuttle tickets they can be returned to the Shore Excursion desk...do you know if that's an option? I prefer to get a multi day vaporetto pass after arriving in Venice to overnight on the Crown before sailing on the next cruise.

Absolutely, they usually say you have 72 hours from the start of the cruise for you to return them and get your account credited.

Normally we return them and either walk-in or vaporetto, but this last Oct it was pouring rain so we decided to use the easiest alternative/water shuttle.

Srpilo

Archived