Med Cruise - Need Advice

LisaH

Well we have finally decided to attempt a Med Cruise sometime in 2013. My problem has always been flying that far. I am very uncomfortable in Coach on any trip given my knees are in the seatback in front of me BEFORE the person puts their seat back.

So I thought we could do a repositioning or a TA and only have to fly one way - even though I would still do Business Class. But then that limits are ports so I figured if we are going, we might as well do a more port intensive itin and I would just pay the money (if we don't have enough miles) and go Business Class.

I am looking for advice in how to pick your itin. Knowing there is no way to do it all on one trip we are going to pick one or two priorities and build a trip around that.

I think Naples is one of our priorities as we want to see Pompeii. Can any experts out there give me any other advice?

I know we could probably fly to NY and spend a night or two to break up the trip either on the front or back end.

We have been on many cruises just not the Med.

Thanks!!

If you start with Naples as a port, that means you are doing the Med. Start looking at the cruise lines that sail there. Most of the main ones do now. I see you have been on several lines. We really enjoy Princess. In fact we will be on the Crown Princess in October and one of the stops is Naples. We have already planned to use public transport to get to and from Pompeii that day.

So where else would you want to see. You can really go either way. There are cruises that head west visiting Italy, France and Spain. Or you can go east to the Adriatic, Greece, Turkey, Israel and Egypt.

We have done several Med cruises, the latest this year Rome to Venice. We agree that the long flights in steerage are to be avoided.

We opted to go business on the flight to Europe (the overnight flight) and Premium Economy (the day flight) on the return.

Searching on Kayak gives many options and you would be surprised at the potential savings that you might find. Kayak found that Air France on this route was much less expensive than others.

Also look at buying Premium economy and upgrading to Business using points -- it worked for us.

Good Luck.

We have done several Med cruises, the latest this year Rome to Venice. We agree that the long flights in steerage are to be avoided.

We opted to go business on the flight to Europe (the overnight flight) and Premium Economy (the day flight) on the return.

Searching on Kayak gives many options and you would be surprised at the potential savings that you might find. Kayak found that Air France on this route was much less expensive than others.

Also look at buying Premium economy and upgrading to Business using points -- it worked for us.

Good Luck.

Is Premium Economy considered exit row or bulkhead? I am not familiar with Kayak - will check it out.

Thanks to all so far.

Premium Economy is a category like economy and business and is a distinct section in the aircraft. The seats reline just a bit more and the distance betrween seats is a bit more than in economy. You can get a good idea by looking at seatguru.com.

This site is essential when choosing your seat on any aircraft of any airline.

Kayak combines many airline/travel sites in one location so you can compare prices for any given itinerary.

Give them a try

Premium Economy is a category like economy and business and is a distinct section in the aircraft. The seats reline just a bit more and the distance betrween seats is a bit more than in economy. You can get a good idea by looking at seatguru.com.

This site is essential when choosing your seat on any aircraft of any airline.

Kayak combines many airline/travel sites in one location so you can compare prices for any given itinerary.

Give them a try

See, I learned something already. This is great info. Thank you

We too are doing the Mediteranean this Oct on the Crown, along with Paul and many others. :)

I agree that if you're flying that far, you'd better make the most of it and see as much as you can. Because of that very reason, we are doing the B2B on Oct 15th and Oct 27th, incorporating mostly different ports on each segment (only a couple of repeats). Not sure if that same kind of intinerary is available in 2013, but it sure has a lot of simply amazing ports that we can't wait to get to!! That cruise will strike off a few stops on our bucket list for sure!!

As for comfort on flights, we long ago decided if we're flying more than 6 hours, we're going first class - it's worth it to us for the comfort. We're very fortunate to have Aeroplan points that allow us to fly that way - it means we fly exclusively with AirCanada in the "big blue pods" at the pointy end of the plane, which is the only way to go on longhaul flights in our opinion. When we flew home from Chile a couple of years ago on an overnight 11 hour flight, we actaully slept a full 7 hours and arrived home rested!! :D

We have been on 2 Med cruises on NCL (7day becasue of DH's schedule). We are now booked for our 3rd Med. 11 days on Celebrity to return to Rome and to see Istanbul. We have also done 4 Princess cruises but not in Med.Here is my advice: Best ports: Rome, Venice, Naples, Ephesus, Dubrovnik. Ones I would not return to: Barcelona, Monte Carlo, Athens. It makes sense to start or end in Rome because the port is so far away, that you will not be able to see a lot because of the distance to get there. If you have time, you could do some land and some cruise to see all.

If you have the time you can avoid the flights all together. Have you considered a transatlantic - possibly with Cunard out of New York - and then taking the train to the med doing the last cruise of the season and following that with a translantic back to the states possibly on the same ship. Having written that, I probably should just sign up for an around the world cruise given how much I also hate flying.

If you have the time you can avoid the flights all together. Have you considered a transatlantic - possibly with Cunard out of New York - and then taking the train to the med doing the last cruise of the season and following that with a translantic back to the states possibly on the same ship. Having written that, I probably should just sign up for an around the world cruise given how much I also hate flying.

Great idea but I don't think Cunard is in our budget. And time is an issue as we both still work. But I love your suggestion...but maybe when we retire and take more time. :)

If you want to see Pompeii then you will love Ephesus as it is a fantastic achelogical site, in my opinion much better than Pompeii. The port for Ephesus is Kusadasi (sp?)

Sarah

We have friends who just did this site last May and they loved it. It was on their bucket list.

Lisa - Also, check out seatguru.com when you are ready to book flights to get more info. on the seats you chose.

Premium Economy is a good choice if you don't want to spend the money on Bus. Class. Not all airlines have it and it varies. For example, British Airways has a pretty darn nice Prem. Economy section (they call it World Traveller Plus). See the link and click on the left for more info.: http://www.britishairways.com/travel/world-traveller-plus/public/en_us

Compare with the other airlines. Some offer you nothing more than a little more legroom with the same exact seat as they have in economy/coach.

For choosing where to go in the Med., boy, is that a hard choice or what?! Pompeii is amazing, but we absolutely loved Tunisia and the ruins at Carthage. It was a shock, as we didn't expect to like that country as much as we did, so my point is, choose one port you hadn't planned on going to. It may just surprise you. ;)

Flights like cruise cabin, you get what you pay for, debate all you want but that is what it is.

Want laydown bed get ready to pay :eek: Willing to go economy get all the comforts or lack of it and price that goes with it. I see this no different than cabin size, shower, etc. etc.

As to should you do Med, YES YES YES. Pick the lineup based on the ports that attract you. Few cruises start/end in Naples but many do make stops there.

Well we have finally decided to attempt a Med Cruise sometime in 2013. My problem has always been flying that far. I am very uncomfortable in Coach on any trip given my knees are in the seatback in front of me BEFORE the person puts their seat back.

So I thought we could do a repositioning or a TA and only have to fly one way - even though I would still do Business Class. But then that limits are ports so I figured if we are going, we might as well do a more port intensive itin and I would just pay the money (if we don't have enough miles) and go Business Class.

I am looking for advice in how to pick your itin. Knowing there is no way to do it all on one trip we are going to pick one or two priorities and build a trip around that.

I think Naples is one of our priorities as we want to see Pompeii. Can any experts out there give me any other advice?

I know we could probably fly to NY and spend a night or two to break up the trip either on the front or back end.

We have been on many cruises just not the Med.

Thanks!!

If you start with Naples as a port, that means you are doing the Med. Start looking at the cruise lines that sail there. Most of the main ones do now. I see you have been on several lines. We really enjoy Princess. In fact we will be on the Crown Princess in October and one of the stops is Naples. We have already planned to use public transport to get to and from Pompeii that day.

So where else would you want to see. You can really go either way. There are cruises that head west visiting Italy, France and Spain. Or you can go east to the Adriatic, Greece, Turkey, Israel and Egypt.

Any tips on using public transportation? On the Ruby Princess in May, first time in Naples and planning on using the circumvesiana to get to Pompeii in the morning and then return to Naples for afternoon sightseeing. Still a little confused on catching the bus outside of port. There is a stand where you can get bus fare.

We can certainly identify with the OPs issue with flying. So, assuming you have no time restraints (great for we retirees) there are other options. For the past several years we have managed to go to Europe without any flying! We simply use cruise ships for both directions. We will often take a repositioning cruise in the spring which end somewhere in Europe. We then look for a ship that is coming back to the US. There are a limited number of ships that do the TA routes (some are repositioning and there is always the Queen Mary 2). Two years ago we came home on the Queen Mary 2 which was a simple 6 day crossing. We booked the cheapest inside cabin (not much to see on this route) and our cost per person was less then $1000 (far less then Business Class). Rather then dealing with the hassles of the airports, flights, luggage restrictions, etc. we just relaxed on a beautiful cruise ship where we had pretty decent food, great entertainment, an extra hour of sleep each day (time zone changes), etc. Trust me that the Queen Mary 2 is even more comfortable (and fun) then Business Class :)

Last year we did a similar repo cruise to Europe (this was actually a 41 day cruise) and after a week in Belgium we took the Rotterdam (they were doing a special crossing from Rotterdam, Netherlands) back to New York. Again, this 9 day crossing cost a lot less then Business Class and it was a lot of fun.

Hank

Any tips on using public transportation? On the Ruby Princess in May, first time in Naples and planning on using the circumvesiana to get to Pompeii in the morning and then return to Naples for afternoon sightseeing. Still a little confused on catching the bus outside of port. There is a stand where you can get bus fare.

It is about a mile from the cruise port to the train station and we normally enjoy the walk (takes us about 25 min). You could also grab a taxi or simply take a local bus. You can buy bus tickets at any coffee stand/newstand if that is your preference. But we always love to walk in Europe whenever possible (its the best way to see places). Once you are at the train station you simply take the Circumvesuviania Line tran that runs between Naples and Sorrento and get off at the Pompeii Scavi stop. Those trains run about every 30 min and require no reservations.

Hank

Thanks for the reply Hank. Is that section of town okay for two ladies to walk in. Since we might look clueless.

Trina

The biggest problem in that part of town (during the daytime) is crossing streets with all the darn traffic (but they do have traffic lights). The area immediately adjacent to the port is certainly not the prettiest part of town, but two ladies would have nothing to fear. Of course you always need to keep in mind that pick pockets and purse snatchers are always a possibility in much of Europe so you need to take normal precautions with your valuables. My wife will normally carry her purse cross-shoulders and she also likes to secure the zipper with a large diaper pin. Once you walk a couple of blocks inland from the port you are actually on a pretty major commercial street.

That being said, when you say "we might look clueless" this brings up an issue. When anyone looks totally confused or "clueless" it just makes them an easier target for pickpockets. It is wise to always be aware of your surroundings and try to act more like a native rather then a "clueless" tourist. The best way to do this is to do your pre-trip homework, study a map before you leave the ship. If you get lost just stop in a cafe, newstand or shop and ask for some help rather they wandering around like a raggamufin (love that word).

Hank

Thanks!!

For you, Naples is unlikely to cut the mustard as a port-of-call.

Yes, you can certainly cover Pompeii. And perhaps a brief visit to Sorrento or Herculaneum as well.

But you could really do with at least couple or three days in the area, adding Capri, the Amalfi coast, Vesuvius. Not sure that any cruise ships turnaround at Naples (or Sorrento or Salerno) but perhaps consider a cruise which starts in Rome, but fly into Naples, a hotel out of town (Positano, Ravello, Amalfi - but Sorrento is difficult, most hotels book by the week sat/sat), and a hire car.

After your time in that area, the drive to Rome or its port of Civitavecchia is simple, about 3 hours, with the magnificent Monte Cassino half-way.

Rome is also well worth several days, perhaps post-cruise.

Or choose a cruise which finishes in a different port, such as Barcelona or Venice, & have a few days there - you can add time in Rome to your time in Naples (but return the car as soon as you get to Rome - a car is an incumberance there).

Or of course you can do it all in reverse.

By booking open-jaw with the same airline the flights should cost no more than a simple return ticket.

A european cruise is all about the destinations rather than the ship, and a simple cruise from A & back to A is pretty inadequate

Just MHO

JB :)

We can certainly identify with the OPs issue with flying. So, assuming you have no time restraints (great for we retirees) there are other options. For the past several years we have managed to go to Europe without any flying! We simply use cruise ships for both directions. We will often take a repositioning cruise in the spring which end somewhere in Europe. We then look for a ship that is coming back to the US. There are a limited number of ships that do the TA routes (some are repositioning and there is always the Queen Mary 2). Two years ago we came home on the Queen Mary 2 which was a simple 6 day crossing. We booked the cheapest inside cabin (not much to see on this route) and our cost per person was less then $1000 (far less then Business Class). Rather then dealing with the hassles of the airports, flights, luggage restrictions, etc. we just relaxed on a beautiful cruise ship where we had pretty decent food, great entertainment, an extra hour of sleep each day (time zone changes), etc. Trust me that the Queen Mary 2 is even more comfortable (and fun) then Business Class :)

Last year we did a similar repo cruise to Europe (this was actually a 41 day cruise) and after a week in Belgium we took the Rotterdam (they were doing a special crossing from Rotterdam, Netherlands) back to New York. Again, this 9 day crossing cost a lot less then Business Class and it was a lot of fun.

Hank

Well we are not retired yet - I am 52, hubby is 60...so we cannot do the really long cruises yet...but we hope to!!!! :)

For you, Naples is unlikely to cut the mustard as a port-of-call.

Yes, you can certainly cover Pompeii. And perhaps a brief visit to Sorrento or Herculaneum as well.

But you could really do with at least couple or three days in the area, adding Capri, the Amalfi coast, Vesuvius. Not sure that any cruise ships turnaround at Naples (or Sorrento or Salerno) but perhaps consider a cruise which starts in Rome, but fly into Naples, a hotel out of town (Positano, Ravello, Amalfi - but Sorrento is difficult, most hotels book by the week sat/sat), and a hire car.

After your time in that area, the drive to Rome or its port of Civitavecchia is simple, about 3 hours, with the magnificent Monte Cassino half-way.

Rome is also well worth several days, perhaps post-cruise.

Or choose a cruise which finishes in a different port, such as Barcelona or Venice, & have a few days there - you can add time in Rome to your time in Naples (but return the car as soon as you get to Rome - a car is an incumberance there).

Or of course you can do it all in reverse.

By booking open-jaw with the same airline the flights should cost no more than a simple return ticket.

A european cruise is all about the destinations rather than the ship, and a simple cruise from A & back to A is pretty inadequate

Just MHO

JB :)

We hope to be able to stay in whatever city we end in a couple of days extra...thank you

Archived