"ND" after Noordam

GatorV

It sure does not mean Notre Dame. Since you sailed the Noordam in 1998 this would be the old Noordam that carried 1214 Passengers. Perhaps it refers to that ship that is not longer on line. I think Copper 10-8 would be the one who would know this.

If it stood for Notre Dame, it would instantly become my favorite ship!!!

"cruise like a champion today..."

I think that's pretty straight forward. The "W" in "Wester", the "D" from "dam". :)

It sure does not mean Notre Dame. Since you sailed the Noordam in 1998 this would be the old Noordam that carried 1214 Passengers. Perhaps it refers to that ship that is not longer on line. I think Copper 10-8 would be the one who would know this.

Noordam III now sails for Thomson and is named Thomson Celebration.

Her sister, Nieuw Amsterdam, also sails for Thomson.

I would imagine that we're just seeing an abbreviation. ND for Noordam... Once company agrees to the abbreviation it's a lot easier to potentially refer to the Ryndam as RD or the Statendam as SD and so on.
But apparently these ND/WD/NA/RO abbreviations only apply to prior ships of each name in the Status listings, as current ships have none shown. Do the current ships have different abbreviations? I still say it would make more sense to use the Roman numerals. :)

But apparently these ND/WD/NA/RO abbreviations only apply to prior ships of each name in the Status listings, as current ships have none shown. Do the current ships have different abbreviations? I still say it would make more sense to use the Roman numerals. :)

Could be that HAL has stopped using the abbreviations. I've worked for bosses who like them only to have a new one come in and hate them. My best abbreviation or acronym story is a general who wanted my staff to develop a new system for Army West Point and ROTC cadets. In fact, he was so taken with the notion he wanted to system to be called CADETS. Now typically you start with the full system name and back into an abbreviation or acronym but if that's what the general wanted that's what he was going to get. We developed CADETS and somewhere along the line I figured out it stood for the Cadet Education and Training System. :)

I agree with you that is the most logical and technically correct but that would depend upon all who used/read the lists to know for all fifteen ships which Roman Numeral is currently sailing. Without total and fluent knowlege of the ''present generation", how would they know when they see Rotterdam V whether that is the new one. Sure if V and VI are shown on the same listing, it's obvious but if only V is referenced......... how many know off the top of their head this is the current one?

If asked, how many would know if the new Nieuw Amsterdam is III......... If there is no indication in front of them a IV exists?

Noordam III now sails for Thomson and is named Thomson Celebration.

Her sister, Nieuw Amsterdam, also sails for Thomson.

What is the current name of the old Nieuw Amsterdam? That was my first HAL ship and I sailed on her back in November of 1996 when this ship sailed out of New Orleans.

What is the current name of the old Nieuw Amsterdam? That was my first HAL ship and I sailed on her back in November of 1996 when this ship sailed out of New Orleans.

She is currently Thomson Spirit. :)

Right -- Noordam III is now Thomson Celebration.

The old Nieuw Amsterdam was the Patriot for awhile and is now the Thomson Spirit.

The old Westerdam was originally the Homeric, then Westerdam, then Costa Europa and is now the Thomson Dream.

You just proved my point about the Roman Numerals. ;)

You wrote Noordam III and then you wrote

'the Old Nieuw Amsterdam"....... what Roman Numeral?

'Old Westerdam"...... what Roman Numeral?

Hard to keep track and consistently use and know them all.

Sure, we can hit google and quickly draw up the information but we aren't proficient about consistently using them.

Thanks for confirming I had the correct names. :)

Archived