Not a fan of "anytime dining"

ILoveCruiseShips

We just got back from the Valor. When we booked there was only anytime and late dining left. We chose anytime because we had a group of ten and mostly children. We always had a wait, some days longer than others...we tried to get to the dining room between 6-630. And later tried 7-730 because of the waiting game...but didn't matter which time we went, still a wait...we even resorted to splitting the group up to tables of 4, 4 and 2 nearby..sometimes it worked, sometimes not. I prefer a set time because we missed the personal treatment of the staff...we found them to be not as friendly...maybe the tipping thing, who knows. Next time I would rather a set time...just my prefeance, I like to be treated well in the dining room.

I think MTD doesn't work well if there are more than 4 people dining together. There are few large tables, so trying to get one of those is a crapshoot. We did a B2B on Dream in April and had MTD the first week and even though there were 4 of us, we had to wait every night because we wanted the same wait staff.

We talked to the Maitre D who suggested we have dinner early, so we went at 6. Had to wait, he then suggested 6:30. We did that and had to wait. It went on like that all week. I know we could have had other servers and not have waited as long, but it was not a good experience. We changed to regular dining for the second week.

I think a lot depends on the time you go, if you want the same servers, or anything else that gets thrown in.

I don't understand though what you mean by the tipping thing. MTD and early/late dining have the same tips billed the same way. Please explain what you mean.

As you discovered ATD is hard to do with large groups. We only do ATD when traveling with 4 or less.

Since yours was a holiday season cruise there were probably too many groups for set dining. You waited longer because of the need to sit near each other. This not a flame but a consideration.

With a large group it is best to get to ATD when the doors open at 5:45.

Back in November we went on the Valor and thought YTD was the best ever. Never a wait at all. Walked up and was taken right to a table. However, we were a group of only 4. It's the larger groups that I don't think it is well suited for.

Not for us as we like to get to know our tablemates and have had some very interesting folks at our table.

This is a matter of personal preference. I hate having to come up with inane small talk with strangers on a cruise. I rather enjoy the quality time with my wife and daughter.

We will never choose assigned dining again. I hate being wedded to the clock on vacation.

YTD is no different than showing up at your local restaurant with a large party. They have to wait for a group of table to open up to push them together or wait for one of the few large tables to become available. Either way your more than likely going to have to wait. As others have noted, the YTD portion of the dining rooms seem to be better geared for parties of 4 or less. I don't think I would even try it with a group that large. We, 2 of us, have never had to wait more than a few minutes and are able to get the same waitstaff if we want and have had some of our best dining experiences with YYD.

Sorry your experience with YTD wasn't the best. We were a group of 6 on the Dream 2 years ago and never had a wait for YTD, and that was with requesting the same waitstaff. It worked out great for us, but I can see with a group of 10, it wouldn't be as easy.

We did the anytime dining on Norwegian when we took 3 teenagers with us. It worked well since getting them all moving towards the DR was a chore. Never an issue with the wait.

Our next Cruise is on the Carnival Victory. Just the 2 of us and we are going with the anytime dining. Shouldn't be an issue for just 2.

I thought I read that you could reserve a time even with this option?

We had a party of 8 and YTD. They had to split us into two groups of 4. It didn't bother me, but my mom was disappointed that all 8 of us were not sitting together. It just one of those things learned, and we'll know next time we all cruise together.

Not for us as we like to get to know our tablemates and have had some very interesting folks at our table.

I prefer to meet interesting people during the cruise and choosing to sit with them for subsequent dinners, rather than the random people the Maitre'd chooses to assign you to.

Bill

We stick to late seating. I have never tried Anytime and probably never will. I like having the same wait staff everynight-they get to know what you like and don't like.

About 10 cruises ago I was coming down with bronchitis so I requested a table for 2. Ever since then we have always been assigned a table for 2-even without requesting it. Don't know why unless somewhere in my "file" they made a note of the request and just automatically give us a table for 2. Works out good for me. Like a previous poster said, I don't really care for making chit chat with strangers. When we cruise with friends we alway link our booking #'s. I like to meet new people while crusing, but prefer to dine with just my DH or friends.

We just got back from the Valor. When we booked there was only anytime and late dining left. We chose anytime because we had a group of ten and mostly children. We always had a wait, some days longer than others...we tried to get to the dining room between 6-630. And later tried 7-730 because of the waiting game...but didn't matter which time we went, still a wait...we even resorted to splitting the group up to tables of 4, 4 and 2 nearby..sometimes it worked, sometimes not. I prefer a set time because we missed the personal treatment of the staff...we found them to be not as friendly...maybe the tipping thing, who knows. Next time I would rather a set time...just my prefeance, I like to be treated well in the dining room.

I had absolutely no problem with ATD wait time on the Conquest. However, the Service, although good, wasn't nearly what it was when you had the same waiter each night. I really prefer scheduled dining time.

I think MTD doesn't work well if there are more than 4 people dining together. There are few large tables, so trying to get one of those is a crapshoot. We did a B2B on Dream in April and had MTD the first week and even though there were 4 of us, we had to wait every night because we wanted the same wait staff.

We talked to the Maitre D who suggested we have dinner early, so we went at 6. Had to wait, he then suggested 6:30. We did that and had to wait. It went on like that all week. I know we could have had other servers and not have waited as long, but it was not a good experience. We changed to regular dining for the second week.

I think a lot depends on the time you go, if you want the same servers, or anything else that gets thrown in.

I don't understand though what you mean by the tipping thing. MTD and early/late dining have the same tips billed the same way. Please explain what you mean.

When you have the same waitstaff you have the option of tipping them EXTRA at the end of the cruise. I think with having different waitstaff it doesn't happen too often.

I like ATD because I generally like to eat earlier, but sometimes the port times just don't match up well. I've never done it with more than 4 people. Even then I don't think the service is as great as assigned dining times, but its worth it for the flexibility.

I agree with katiel53. Anytime dining really doesn't work well with large parties on crowded sailings.

I have yet to have a problem with 6 or fewer people.

To the OP: how long was your wait each night?

The first night we went down at 6pm and had a wait of 20 minutes. That wasn't so bad. The second night we went down at 630, it was formal night and was given a pager that there would be a wait of 1 hour, understandable. But then the pager went off after 1/2 an hour and we all went back into the dining room and were told that the pager went off by accident and that there would be a longer wait. At that time we said, "you know, we don't have to sit at a large table, if you could get us 2 tables of 4 and one of 2 that are nearby we can handle that (we were hungry). They seated us right away and we were very close to eachother...it would of been a matter of sliding the tables together, there was a couple of feet in between them. But this was fine. So the 3rd night, we went down at 615 and we had a wait time, and tried to do the split tables idea again, but that did't work out either...so we waited for a large table which took about 10 minutes or so. We expected to wait with a large group. The other cruises we went on we had early dining or late dining and had the same waiter....I prefer it that way. I like the special treatment from the waitstaff and getting to know them. I've always tipped them extra for their extra efforts. Next time we will know what works better for us.

I like ATD because I generally like to eat earlier, but sometimes the port times just don't match up well. I've never done it with more than 4 people. Even then I don't think the service is as great as assigned dining times, but its worth it for the flexibility.

This is exactly what I was thinking when I booked it. even though we had wait times, we still were done by 830 every night and in time for the early shows. Yes, you are right the service is better with assigned, and that is what I missed. I guess this is what you get when you book it close to sailing.

DH and I did ATD on the Pride in October (7 day cruise) we had to wait every night but 1 and there was just 2 of us. Service was always good, staff pleasant and helpful. Flexibility was main pec with activities both on and off ship. I agree with a previous post...I don't like to eat with strangers and try to make small talk (and worry if I am using the right fork etc)

As you discovered ATD is hard to do with large groups. We only do ATD when traveling with 4 or less.

Since yours was a holiday season cruise there were probably too many groups for set dining. You waited longer because of the need to sit near each other. This not a flame but a consideration.

With a large group it is best to get to ATD when the doors open at 5:45.

The early seating wasn't an option when we booked, so we thought we would try ATD so we weren't eating too late with the children. We were finished most nights before 830, so that worked out, but it was always a hassle, no matter what time we went down...we tried early, and then later. We even tried separating with two to three tables, and that helped one night but didn't the other....so it didn't really matter what we tried.

We liked anytime dining but we almost always ate at a table for 2 and also went earlier in the evening. Once we left there was usually a wait to sit down. However, we like to eat at our own pace and don't like the suuuuuper slow dining in traditional dining. Our waiter was good at brining us our next course when we wanted it and didn't pace it out as much as traditional dining.

Archived