Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Sounds like a healthy competition, if safety is considered, which I am sure it is.

The reason I am asking is because cruise companies are threatening customers with fuel surcharges, meanwhile captains are getting away with diversions for personal reasons.

Excellent point. Along with a change to when muster drills occur, I think that we will see cruise lines putting a tighter rein on captains with regard to routes. When the lawsuits begin, Costa will likely have to explain why they allowed diversions previously. Other cruise lines will likely be asked if and when they allow non-emergency diversions.

From Repubblica. Translation by Google:

22:06 - The first alarm. Prato The police contacted the Port of Livorno. The mother of a passenger reported problems on board a Costa cruise ship: during dinner, the restaurant is on the ceiling of the bridge fell and was ordered to wear life jackets. The police call the passenger to confirm the incident. The first alarm, therefore, is launched from a passenger, not crew

Thank you, I flipped the names...

But yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Which is why General Motors doesn't have a brand called General Motors, so that if that brand has a problem it doesn't tarnish the overall line or vice versa. (And BTW there are things shared cross-GM like frame design, just like the design of the Concordia=Splendor so there are some other linkages).

Management model aside, Costa is a Carnival Corp brand, which means guilt by association for Carnival cruise lines, fair or not. (And BTW there are things shared cross-GM like frame design, just like the design of the Concordia=Splendor so there are some other linkages). Princess and HAL will likely fare better reputation wise because of the lack of name similarity.

Most people will not take the time to differentiate Carnival the line from Carnival the Corp, again fair or not.

I believe you mean that the Concordia is a Carnival Corporation ship. Carnival Cruise Lines is a completely separate company. Just as is HAL, Cunard, and all of the other Carnival Corporation companies. All of these companies have their own management, CEOs, and presumably corporate culture. They are only tied together by the fact that they are subsidiaries of (owned by) the umbrella corporation of Carnival Corporation.

To say that a Costa ship - or how business is conducted by them - is the same as Carnival Cruise Lines is to say that a Cadillac is the same as a Chevy or Hummer. (All brands owned by General Motors).

Costa Concordia captain Francesco Schettino ordered a chef to make him dinner and bring him drinks as the doomed cruise ship sank, it was claimed yesterday.

With the ship’s 3,000 passengers panicking, the skipper delayed making a mayday call while he had a meal with a mystery brunette.

Filipino cook Rogelio Barista said the pair sipped drinks in the restaurant and had dessert almost 30 minutes after the collision.

He added: “Everything was falling apart, including our cooking. I willed myself not to get scared. I peered out and saw the captain was still waiting for his drink.

“I asked myself why he was still there waiting for his companion’s dessert with what was happening.”

hmmmm.... i wonder if that's really true?

The nautical charts for the area where the ship is resting does show the he is sitting on a ledge of some type, small as it is. However the area that the ship is resting on might have some rocks on it also that may be holding the ship from lying flat.

What scares me now is the latest information the front of the ship has sunk more that the back, hence it looks like the ship is bending around an obsticle (I.E. A large rock or something) and this could be the start of it breaking up......Hopefully one of the salvors can dispell this if its wrong as its not my field of expertise.

The fact that the bow has dropped one amount the stern by only 1 mtr.....its a worry

rgds

It really doesn't sound stable at all, unfortunately. They had originally said that they were going to start offloading fuel today and I haven't seen any of that happening either. That plus the fact that they pulled the divers who were searching makes you wonder what damage they have actually been able to see under the ship. At least they are being very careful with the rescuers and salvage people. I know we are all very concerned about the environmental impact but I am glad they are being extra careful to prevent further loss of life.

I've just read the most recent postings on this (very long) thread, so perhaps this has been thoroughly discussed . . . my understanding (from the business section of the New York Times) is that if the fault is entirely the captain's then the cruise line and it's holding company can not be sued, as they caused no injury. Hence, their rush to condemn the captain. This latest news then, that the Concordia sailed this same shore-hugging route some months ago, should be very damaging to the claim that all is the fault of the 'hotdog' captain.

I do agree with others who have commented that all of us cruisers will be more alert and aware aboard ship; I hope that cruise lines will rethink their own policies and practices. On our Crystal cruise we reported to our muster stations with our life jackets on and met the crew responsible for us; on the two Celebrity cruises we sailed (one on the mega Solstice) we reported to lounges w/o lifejackets and just milled around. On those two cruises the emergency drills seemed so casual as to be just an annoyance to our fun.

Perhaps that explains Costa's reasoning of publicly blaming the Captain it's starting to make lots of sense. I just read the NYT article you refer to and it seems they have been reading this board to get information. They quote two posters on this thread - no it wasn't me :eek:

If I understand this press reports, another Costa Captain happened to be on the Concordia only because he needed a ride. Apparently, it was this Captain who organized the crew for the evacuation! I'm assuming the Concordia's Captain didn't offer him a ride on his lifeboat because it was fully occupied by other Cordordia officers (except, of course, the one trapped with a broken leg after helping passenger escape).

If the relative success of the rescue depended on this act of good fortune, the process was more broken that we were first led to believe.

I would apprecate people on this forum to express their opinions whether the Industry should be required to adopt a command center that watches over the running of their ships.

Required? No. Costa should do this because it makes good business sense. That is, it would help prevent such disasters in the future, and restore some sense of responsibility in the eyes of the consumer.

We have too many government regulations as it is.

“It’s true that the salute was for Commodore Mario Palombo, with whom I was on the telephone. The route was decided as we left Civitavecchia but I made a mistake on the approach. I was navigating by sight because I knew the depths well and I had done this manoeuvre three or four times. But this time I ordered the turn too late and I ended up in water that was too shallow.

“I don’t know why it happened, I was a victim of my instincts.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022902/Costa-Concordia-captains-actions-disgraceful-says-cruise-ships-reluctant-hero.html

Navigating by sight?!?! It was DARK outside!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2088361/Costa-Concordia-Titanic-theme-tune-played-onboard-cruise-ship-started-sink.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

This gets weirder and weirder with each passing day.

One hundred years from now, they will recall how, in the 100th anniversary year of Titanic sinking, another liner ran into an immoveable object and was catastrophically damaged and lives lost - and that the theme tune from the hit movie made about the disaster was, by coincidence, playing in the background as the ship listed; while a descendant of a Titanic survivor was also onboard this ill-fated ship...

You couldn't make it up!

If I understand this press reports, another Costa Captain happened to be on the Concordia only because he needed a ride. Apparently, it was this Captain who organized the crew for the evacuation! I'm assuming the Concordia's Captain didn't offer him a ride on his lifeboat because it was fully occupied by other Cordordia officers (except, of course, the one trapped with a broken leg after helping passenger escape).

If the relative success of the rescue depended on this act of good fortune, the process was more broken that we were first led to believe.

You may be referring to Capt. Roberto Bosio. From what I've read, he coordinated the entire rescue effort and was seen helping women and children onto the life boats. Here is a link on what he did that night. Notice the remark he made: “Only a disgraceful man would have left all those passengers on board." Thank god he was onboard.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022902/Costa-Concordia-captains-actions-disgraceful-says-cruise-ships-reluctant-hero.html

the ignorance of this whole comment shines through.... and having posted 3 times speaks volumes. What part of it was a COSTA ship did you not realize. You must me watching the news stories. Yes, Carnival corporation owns many cruise lines, but it was NOT a carnival ship.

Well maybe this person read in another thread where someone posted the Concordia is coming back as the Carnival Flipper. I know, I know, it's not funny, but I did laugh for just a moment. I couldn't believe someone posted that.

You may be referring to Capt. Roberto Bosio. From what I've read, he coordinated the entire rescue effort and was seen helping women and children onto the life boats. Here is a link on what he did that night. Notice the remark he made: “Only a disgraceful man would have left all those passengers on board." Thank god he was onboard.

Phew that was some promotion, it was just a few pages ago that Bosio was a 2nd or 3rd officer who was disliked by the Captain.....

Still he did what the Captain failed to do ......ensure the safe disembarkation of the passengers and crew ......

And maybe another option, which is what I do, is email a copy of all pertinent documents to my next of kin and ask them to store them on their computer in case of any problems. It is easy to carry a business size card ( you can even laminate it) with your name and their contact info on it. This means none of your personal info is given away if lost and just in case you are unable to comunicate for any reason a doctor, consulate official or the police can on your behalf.

Just one of my ways of doing things thrown into the mix and hopefully be improved.

I think the email/web is the best option to have all your data stored and easy to reach anywhere, with the new iCloud thing on the iphone and Mac, you can have stored on the web all your contacts of your phone and any document you want, and you can then browse for them with any computer, only with your mac account.

And to have with you, as you propose the business card. I have a better idea. They are called VITAL ID, I use some of their products when riding my motorbike.

Including this bracelet (among other thing, like a special tag for the helmet), which on the inside is a little card with basic emergency information ( name, blood type, medications/allergies and emergency contact)

Sport-ID-Yellow-sml.jpg

They have other bracelets for daily use, not with that bright yellow.

Its worth taking a look at them, I only used them when riding my bike, but thinking, I better use them everyday, including when cruising, it can save my life. The nice thing is that the cards inside them are waterproof in case you are in the water.

I found someone here in Mexico selling them. They are based in Canada, but they should have international shipping.

http://www.vitalid.ca/shop/medical-id-bracelet/

Archived