Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Well, I couldn't control myself - but I think it's not ok that the captain has a converstion with a woman on the bridge...

Guests don't belong to the bridge, I think...

Jst pray that everything works good!

It's very unfortunate that she appears to have been on the bridge I do agree with that. But it's the Captain and/or his officers who allowed her to be there.

I do not believe anyone has posted the English translation of the Italian court documents yet. It appears that Captain Schettino was not in a lifeboat but on a reef on shore when contacted by the coastguard.

There are also many other interesting information points.

COURT OF GROSSETO

OFFICE OF THE MAGISTRATE IN CHARGE OF PRELIMINARY INQUIRIES

http://download.repubblica.it/pdf/2012/traduzione_ordinanza_grosseto.pdf

Let me provide my summary. Captain Schettino is completely guilty. He also obviously prejured himself multiple times in front of the investigators; lies that were refuted by the other listed witnesses. Lines like this in the report

"It is a certified fact, notwithstanding the declarations to the contrary made at the time of interrogation, ... "

By the way he was not in a life boat when reached by the coastguard:

"he remained on the reef to watch the disaster caused, was reached by members of the Fire Brigade and was in touch by phone with Commander De Falco, who ordered him to go back aboard the ship."

Other lines from the document:

"That appears to indicate an incredible thoughtlessness in assessing the actual scope of the behaviour engaged in to the detriment of over 4,000 persons entrusted to his responsibility."

"includes the fact of having abandoned the ship ahead of all the passengers on board and of having remained over an hour on the reef where he had disembarked in a situation of complete inactivity."

Downloading this court document enables a great many conjectures so far posted to be substituted by verified accounts. It is also contains the amazing admission by Schettino that he 'intends to turn over a new leaf and not go on ships anymore'. Hooray! I suppose that makes it all right then?

(However, I didn't find support in the documents that he evacuated before all passengers. I did read that he left with other officers in a launch, none of this tripping up and landing in a lifeboat, seems he travelled to the reef in the style to which he was accustomed.)

I do not believe anyone has posted the English translation of the Italian court documents yet. It appears that Captain Schettino was not in a lifeboat but on a reef on shore when contacted by the coastguard.

COURT OF GROSSETO

Let me provide my summary. Captain Schettino is completely guilty. He also obviously prejured himself multiple times in front of the investigators; lies that were refuted by the other listed witnesses. Lines like this in the report

"It is a certified fact, notwithstanding the declarations to the contrary made at the time of interrogation, ... "

"he remained on the reef to watch the disaster caused, was reached by members of the Fire Brigade and was in touch by phone with Commander De Falco, who ordered him to go back aboard the ship."

"That appears to indicate an incredible thoughtlessness in assessing the actual scope of the behaviour engaged in to the detriment of over 4,000 persons entrusted to his responsibility."

"includes the fact of having abandoned the ship ahead of all the passengers on board and of having remained over an hour on the reef where he had disembarked in a situation of complete inactivity."

Thanks, greg-nc! This is very interesting reading indeed. It certainly does not go into all the many details that have been reported by the press and on CC nor answer all the questions we have, but there is very damning factual evidence here, verified by many witnesses (including other of the ship's officers). Schettino is in buckets of trouble.

Well, I couldn't control myself - but I think it's not ok that the captain has a converstion with a woman on the bridge...

Guests are often invited to the Bridge. They can be family/friends of corporate people, friends of the Captain or his Bridge Officers, frequent passengers of the cruise line, or just someone lucky enough to be invited because of something nice they said about the Officers or crew.

I was on a Princess cruise and we were stuck off the coast of Iceland, hoping to be able to dock. The winds were so strong that we could not go anywhere. The Captain was catching he!! from the pax. Not much he could do as the pilot was in charge. We were advised that the winds could die down so we would wait it out for a few hours.

Being on the port side, my stateroom had the sun shining on it and with the wind hitting on the starboard side, it was very nice out there. Unfortunately the sun was moving so after a while I lost the sun. I sent a note to the Captain asking if he could just turn the ship enough to keep the sun on my balcony. (He did) After a while, it became apparent we were not going to dock and we turn and left the channel to continue on.

Later that evening I found a note from the Captain. He thanked me for taking things in stride and said my note gave him a chuckle, especially after some of the other notes he received. He invited me to tour the Bridge the next day.

I've had Bridge tours many times. Not because I was some Captains girlfriend or corporate friend. One was part of an auction win, a couple followed dinner with the Captain (all that dined were invited) and another was part of a ship's tour.

In an emergency situation, no one other than Bridge staff should be on the Bridge. If people were on the Bridge when the emergency started, they would have been asked to leave and normally told where to go depending on the situation.

COURT OF GROSSETO

WOW!!!

I have to say right off the bat that I LOVE the Italian Legal system, at least when it comes to writing these things in terms that even a dumb blond like myself can uderstand!!!

Now, a couple points that jump out at me:

1. The following Italian Law that states plainly:

c) 1097 of the Code of Navigation, for not having been the last to leave the motor ship Costa Concordia of which he was captain, during the abandonment of the same (in danger, being in the process of shipwreck) On Isola del Giglio, on 13 January 2012.

2. His statement to the Police during questioning:

The declarations he made at the Carabinieri Barracks of Orbetello about his intention to turn over a new leaf and to no longer want to go on ships

He was on a reef when the Isola del Giglio Police found him??????:eek::eek: And how in the heck did he get there? Oops I guess he fell/tripped out of that freak ing Lifeboat he'd accidentally fallen/tripped in to it:rolleyes:..........

Totally even more disgusted with Schettino even more now. And I did not think anything else could shock or disgust me regarding him:mad:

Joanie

I swear I've seen this video somewhere on Youtube a year or two ago. That is definitely not Costa Concordia.

If it was Costa Concordia, then the water should have came from the bottom... not from the above.

If I recall correctly, that was from the Crown Princess from July 2006 when she listed heavily leaving port. I remember the video and the story of the pools pouring into the stairwells.

He was on a reef when the Isola del Giglio Police found him??????:eek::eek: And how in the heck did he get there? Oops I guess he fell/tripped out of that freak ing Lifeboat he'd accidentally fallen/tripped in to it:rolleyes:..........

Joanie

If he was Pinocchio, his nose would be arriving back at that jail an hour before him. :rolleyes:

WOW!!!

2. His statement to the Police during questioning:

The declarations he made at the Carabinieri Barracks of Orbetello about his intention to turn over a new leaf and to no longer want to go on ships

Joanie

Like anyone in their right mind would ever again let him get anywhere near a ship. :rolleyes:

I guess that makes me a person you would call offensive, vulgar names. I have been invited twice onto the bridge of a cruise ship. Both during approved tours the ship's captain was giving to invited guests. Happens on most cruise ships. Just because passengers aren't officers, doesn't mean they can't be invited.

The Costa contract sharply limits the kinds of lawsuits that can be brought, where those suits can be brought and how much the company can be made to pay. All such provisions have been upheld in the courts of the United States.

Costa' s contract states that the line will pay no more in cases of death, personal injury and property loss than about $71,000 per passenger. It allows no recovery for mental anguish or psychological damages.

It bars class-action suits.

For cruises that do not involve a United States port, the contract states, any litigation must be brought in Genoa, Italy , and be governed by Italian law. But when it comes to liability, the contract says the company can take advantage of any limits set by international treaties or the laws of the United States, which are very generous to owners of vessels. If there is a conflict among the patchwork of laws and treaties regarding liability, it says, "the Carrier shall be entitled to invoke whichever provisions provide the greatest limitations and immunities to the Carrier.

An Italian consumer and environmental group, Codacons, has announced that it is preparing a class-action lawsuit and that more than 70 passengers who were on board the ship that ran aground late Friday off the Tuscany coast have already signed on as plaintiffs.

Which I think are foolish, being the Codacons said if they win, each passenger would only get 12,967.05 USD. :rolleyes:

10000 euros

Can you share a link that reports that?

The only link I found is this one and it says she was not staff (they show that she's listed as being a dancer on the Royal Star) and was not a passenger

http://www.ilsecoloxix.it/p/italia/2012/01/19/APjD3AiB-concordia_risolto_schettino.shtml

Certainly!

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16152586

Thank you.

Sure doesn't look like "Carnival's Homepage" to me! :)

It would make no sense for Carnival Corporation to publicize that story on their homepage.... and certainly not on the Carnival Cruise Lines homepage.

Archived