Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

I think part of the real point of this letter is to point out that the ship was part of Carnival (since I am sure some aren't aware that Costa is owned by them). Personally, I think that comes off a litte underhanded but its business and I do tend to be a more sensitive soul than many in the world of business.

I can't say as I blame them... I mean one buffoon working for a, seemingly, loosely run cruise line (Costa) has made trouble for everyone else. If I were the president of RCCL (or Regent, or Viking, or Princess, etc.) I'd do exactly the same thing. I may be biased, but I find RCCL to be tightly run and that's a strong selling point for me. I suspect they need to market that aspect of their operations more heavily and if that comes at the expense of Carnival... well... as you said... it is indeed business.

I had to pay $135 to TSA for a biometric ID card to access ports. I tried to use it in Midway airport as an ID with boarding pass to pass security, and they did not recognize it. They called police, and were not satisfied until I showed them my Texas Driver's License. TSA failed to recognize their own ID document! Is that good security?

It's not good security... but it's GREAT security theater.

I do not know how the last 300 or so Concordia passengers got up the courage to do that hull crawl. It took many of them hours to do this. I am in awe of their courage.

Totally agree.

Could you post the link? I'm only finding stories from 4 hours ago.

I know you've had the cnn link but sky have it too.

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16154900

I received the same email.

Wonder if Costa Crociere sent an email out to their past passengers.

Doubt it!

Nothing received here.

I agree that you can't stop stupidity. My thinking though is that if they have someone at the cruise line tracking the ship, and they simply called the Captain and said to him that is an unsafe course, that it is an unsafe route that he should not take it, which is something that could have been seen before the 10 seconds someone keeps mentioning, that maybe the Captain would have come to his senses and not done it. He would have to justify why he was going that route. There is still the possibility he would have done it anyway but maybe he would not have done it with that little intervention.

Unfortunately... from my perspective... Costa's culture was one whereby this kind of "flyby" was tacitly approved. With that in mind... would they (Costa corporate) have intervened? Doubtful... I'm guessing that this was an unofficial standard practice that finally caught up with them. Again... no command system would stop this kind of accident under those circumstances. If the top is corrupted... who can you trust then?

I'm having difficulty finding a link to a live webcam of the Concordia, can someone post one that's up and working? Thanks.

I use this one as the main one (it automatically refreshes every 10 or 15 seconds) http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440919/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-giglio-porto-panoramica.html

And this one which I can enlarge in Internet Explorer, which I have to refresh manually when I want to see changes: http://www.giglionews.com/isoladelgiglio_porto.jpg

Joanie

I'm having difficulty finding a link to a live webcam of the Concordia, can someone post one that's up and working? Thanks.

http://www.giglionews.it/2010022440919/webcam/isola-del-giglio/webcam-giglio-porto-panoramica.html

Above the picture you'll see Webcam. There is a drop down on that tab so you can change the view. Click to Giglio Porto for a different view, tho I think the panoramic one is the best.

I can't understand why having someone on shore monitoring the ships outrages our sailor friends so much. We are not talking about ships carrying freight. We are talking about ships carrying human beings.

As one of those "outraged sailor friends" I understand your concern, and in some ports like entering Rotterdam or Hamburg you are given courses and speeds to steer just like air traffic control. However the people giving orders are professional captains and pilots themselves with excellent radar and AIS information available to them, and a relatively limited geographic area of control. I don't think anyone aboard ship would tolerate someone of unknown experience and credentials who is not there and probably does not have the same visual imput those on the ship have, second guessing every maneuver those there on the bridge were making.

In the future could there be a electronic over ride from the cruise line head quater monitoring ,that if a unsafe route or manuver was made by the bridge ,that it would be over riden electronically ?

Just think they could drive it by remote control, just get rid of the Officers altogether, NOT!

I could just see this happening. captain goes all out to avoid a collision and gets over ridden by some 18 yo on night watch who cancels the course change and drives the ships into a collision.

Welcome to CC.

I posted that a few days ago but was going to bring it up again for those that may have missed it. Thanks for doing so.

Costa Concordia offering 30% off future cruises —

didn't sit well with Whoopi on the View.

Stating "if you want to cruise again you have to pay 70%. :rolleyes:

Whoopi also referred to it (again) as Carnival Cruise Line' date=' as tho they are the ones making the offer.[/color']

As one of those "outraged sailor friends" I understand your concern, and in some ports like entering Rotterdam or Hamburg you are given courses and speeds to steer just like air traffic control. However the people giving orders are professional captains and pilots themselves with excellent radar and AIS information available to them, and a relatively limited geographic area of control. I don't think anyone aboard ship would tolerate someone of unknown experience and credentials who is not there and probably does not have the same visual imput those on the ship have, second guessing every maneuver those there on the bridge were making.

The person or persons would have to be trained with known experience and credentials for it to work.

So when exactly did the ship settle into the basic position it is in now (from listing to basically stuck on its side in the rocky seafloor)? :confused:

How the plot thickens....

Crew accepted a payoff in tips while loading lifeboats?!?!? :eek:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4079109/Rich-Russians-bought-lifeboat-places-as-Costa-Concordia-sank.html

ITALIAN prosecutors are probing claims that rich Russian passengers on the Costa Concordia "bought" places in lifeboats ahead of women and children.

So it is just like the Titanic where the rich did the same thing...

Costa Concordia offering 30% off future cruises —

didn't sit well with Whoopi on the View.

Stating "if you want to cruise again you have to pay 70%. :rolleyes:

I have read different things about this offer. First though the offer is a refund plus 30 per cent off future cruises, not just 30% off of future cruises. Second a travel agent friend thinks that offer was only made to those who had booked Concordia future sailings that are now canceled. That it was not for those on the doomed sailing. That would make a difference. Does anyone know if that is the case? Or was that offer also to those on the doomed sailing. We can't rely on the news media for the correct answer.

The person or persons would have to be trained with known experience and credentials for it to work.
Ok the suspense is getting to me, I have to know what is your background. You dont appear to be listening to others so I would like to know what your field of expertise is -...

Its the fourth time of asking and the second poster to ask

rgds

:)

Remember Valujet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ValuJet_Flight_592

I agree that Carnival will not change their brand name, but I think the Costa name will soon be a thing of the past.

But valujet was not an established brand with 40 years of brand equity. It was new. If it's a new brand - you change it. If it's an established brand, you repair it.

Archived