The arrest of the captain is very shocking

Shippy

The course of the ship is made public already and confirmed by the authorities after looking at the data from the black box.

Perhaps I am incorrect....so please help me......

Please give me a reference where I can see the official track from the black box.

Fact: The course was way too close too shore and illegal.

Way to close to shore is your judgement, not fact.

Please give me a reference that states that it is illegal for the ship to be a few hundred yards offshore if the water is deep enough.

Please give me a reference where I can see the official track from the black box.

Please give me a reference that states that it is illegal for the ship to be a few hundred yards offshore if the water is deep enough.

After they took a first look at the data from the black box they announced the ship was 150 metres from shore.

Costa had not allowed this course nor was this allowed for ships of this size.

That's the official statements as of today, after looking at the black box data.

Just checked...:

Minimum to shore is 300 metres by law. So also said by the captain who said that was where he was and the rocks where not in the map.

The black box shows 150 metres, exactly where the rocks are that ARE in every map and visible.

That isn't a course...at best it's a point and not enough information to find it on a chart....so still no way to even tell where the ship was when it hit a rock. I have not seen any rule that says that it's illegal for a ship "this size" to be where it was. Who issued the official statement or was it a newspaper/tv news show that said that it was official.

Need the reference.....because so far, I haven't seen any facts.

It's on the web and on the news.

The complete course is documnted. The black box says 150 metres to shore. The captain confirmed in interviews 300 metres is minimum by law. The rocks are at 150 metres and in every map. At 300 metres he would be right, there are no rocks, as the sea ois too deep.

That's the facts. Given by the infamous captain and the authorities.

These last posts are up to speed with posters finally coming to grips that this was a major criminal mess up by the Captain and his officers in the bridge, both in the joyridding and aftermath. Also, I am very upset, outraged, by the careless Cruise Industry in not advancing to 21st Century with real time GPS and Bridge monitoring via TV and computer.

If I am on a cruise ship, I want the Cruise Line to have a command center that is staffed 24/7 and watching over its ships at all times. At the command center, they can watch everything on board that the bridge can watch, plus watch the bridge.

Why should we and our family, precious little children, be subject to the whims and command of a Captain that goes ballistic or crazy or drunk or whatever he chooses. It makes no sense that in the modern era, a Cruise Ship functions like a 19th century transit passenger or cargo ship.

I hope more posters on this forum protest and demand improvements in this way, which seems inevitable anyway. Why wait, and demand that the entire world wide Cruise Industry update to current technology to monitor and control all of their ships.

I agree. Where is the check and balance here? I think there should be monitoring from land of each ship from a professional that can understand the read-outs. If it doesn't exist, it needs to.

It was also stated in Italian News that when that Captain was seen on shore he was told to go back to his ship and he refused!! Also a taxi driver has come forward, as the Captain hailed a cab and apparently said " Get me as far away as possible from this". He was fully aware of what he had caused, and as a Captain he is a coward he left everyone to fend for themselves, that's not the duty he swore to uphold.

It is amazing how many accidents and problems have been happening to ships owned by Carnival Corp. Ships catching on fire, ships leaving ports with known drive problems, boiler problems, and now a sinking. Carnival likes to brag that there ships are the most modern afloat and virtually steer themselves. Italian law requires the arrest of the Captain until things are sorted out, but what about the navigator, and the first officer, and all the other officers on board. (How about the CEO of Carnival?) Maybe the Captain jumped ship for his own safety, but he was not the only officer on board and in the bridge who should have taken action.

Carnival Corporation's safety record is appalling. It looks like they put bottom line before safety. Their is an old joke in the flying industry, when in doubt blame pilot error since he is usually dead and can not defend himself. It the same in the cruise and shipping industry. When in doubt blame the Captain, since it is easier to blame the Captain then the corporation for carelessness. It is really hard to believe that the Captain made a navigation mistake and no one was required to recheck such calculations, and more important no one noticed from the bridge that they were to close to land, and the GPS system did not notice that the water was too shallow for the ship.

Lets get the blame right, Carnival owns the Company and hired the Captain and sets the bridge procedures. Blame Carnival Corp.

Just checked...:

Minimum to shore is 300 metres by law. So also said by the captain who said that was where he was and the rocks where not in the map.

The black box shows 150 metres, exactly where the rocks are that ARE in every map and visible.

I guess you aren't looking at the charts...I am. There are one set of rocks 270 meters from shore (he might have been just 30 meters off course) and there is another set of rocks 179 meters from shore...so 150 meters is either rounding or doesn't tell me which set of rocks he hit. If he hit the rocks at 270 meters, I can understand that he thought he was at 300 meters but if he was at 150 meters from shore, then I'd like to see how he hit the rock....just to satisfy my "private detective" side.

I am not aware of a 300 meter limit..I would like to see where that is written. I don't give much credence to news commentators or posts by individuals in forums because they "interpret".

As I said...please give references....don't just say "it's on the web and on the news". I've seen two different tracks in the news and about six locations for the captain. References please

It was also stated in Italian News that when that Captain was seen on shore he was told to go back to his ship and he refused!! Also a taxi driver has come forward, as the Captain hailed a cab and apparently said " Get me as far away as possible from this". He was fully aware of what he had caused, and as a Captain he is a coward he left everyone to fend for themselves, that's not the duty he swore to uphold.

The port authority made the transcript public in which they order him back to his ship as there are many passengers still in need of help and coordination. He refused as there are just 100 left on board. The port authority then told him there are more than 100 left and already casualties and he asked THEM how many... He then told them he'll go back and never did.

Next thing after that... he was seen on TV giving interviews... still hundreds of passengers on his ship in danger...

I guess you aren't looking at the charts...I am. There are one set of rocks 270 meters from shore (he might have been just 30 meters off course) and there is another set of rocks 179 meters from shore...so 150 meters is either rounding or doesn't tell me which set of rocks he hit. If he hit the rocks at 270 meters, I can understand that he thought he was at 300 meters but if he was at 150 meters from shore, then I'd like to see how he hit the rock....just to satisfy my "private detective" side.

I am not aware of a 300 meter limit..I would like to see where that is written. I don't give much credence to news commentators or posts by individuals in forums because they "interpret".

Well... The captain himself confirmed the 300 meter legal limit for ships of that size!

Costa did confirm this too and said they even have a bigger than legal limit for their ships!

That's NOT news reporting this by themselves, it is the captain confirming this and Costa!

I have the recorded course right in front of me and can clearly see where he hit the rocks and then solowed down, and turned back, and sunk.

Yes, it is a bit rounded what the authorities announced. They were not thinking about a private detective looking at the chart and making measurements. ;)

Well... The captain himself confirmed the 300 meter legal limit for ships of that size!

Costa did confirm this too and said they even have a bigger than legal limit for their ships!

That's NOT news reporting this by themselves, it is the captain confirming this and Costa!

I have the recorded course right in front of me and can clearly see where he hit the rocks and then solowed down, and turned back, and sunk.

Yes, it is a bit rounded what the authorities announced. They were not thinking about a private detective looking at the chart and making measurements. ;)

LOL Good stuff OneOneNiner!!

As I said...please give references....don't just say "it's on the web and on the news". I've seen two different tracks in the news and about six locations for the captain. References please

After swiftly escaping from the listing liner, Schettino – the Concordia’s skipper for six years – was arrested along with first officer Ciro Ambrosio. The captain was spotted wrapped in a blanket on his way to the shore at around 11.30pm – more than four hours before the evacuation of the vessel was completed and breaking the maritime tradition of remaining with his ship.

Coastguards are said to have told him to ‘get back on board your vessel’ once they realised he was safe on the island but he failed to do so. One Italian report said he hailed a taxi and said to the driver: ‘Get me as far away from here as possible’.

He has also been accused of dining with beautiful women as the liner crashed into rocks and of raiding the safe before jumping ship. Tuscan prosecutor Franco Verusio, who is leading the investigation, said: ‘Captain Schettino was in command. He was the one who ordered that course to be taken, at least according to what we have discovered. There was someone in particular that wanted to be signalled from the ship.’

Schettino gave the order for the doomed sail-by of the island as a ‘salute of respect’ for former Costa commander Mario Palombo, whose parents are from Giglio, it is alleged.

The stunt – as passengers were enjoying dinner at 9.30pm on Friday – was apparently also a favour for the ship’s maître d’ Antonello Tievoli, who lives on the island.

Italian news reports said that minutes before the Concordia crashed into an underwater reef just two hours into a seven-day Mediterranean cruise, Schettino told the head waiter: ‘Come and look, we are passing over your Giglio.’ After his rescue, Tievoli is understood to have joked: ‘I never thought I would get dropped off at home.’

His 82-year-old father Giuseppe said his son had phoned him before the accident to say the crew would salute him by blowing the ship’s whistle as they passed by.

He said: ‘Antonello called and said that we should look out of the window at around 9.30pm because he would be on the ship and it would pass right by Giglio. All the ships do it but they never come that close – I was at the window with my wife and, as he said, the ship went past.’

After swiftly escaping from the listing liner, Schettino – the Concordia’s skipper for six years – was arrested along with first officer Ciro Ambrosio. The captain was spotted wrapped in a blanket on his way to the shore at around 11.30pm – more than four hours before the evacuation of the vessel was completed and breaking the maritime tradition of remaining with his ship.

Coastguards are said to have told him to ‘get back on board your vessel’ once they realised he was safe on the island but he failed to do so. One Italian report said he hailed a taxi and said to the driver: ‘Get me as far away from here as possible’.

He has also been accused of dining with beautiful women as the liner crashed into rocks and of raiding the safe before jumping ship. Tuscan prosecutor Franco Verusio, who is leading the investigation, said: ‘Captain Schettino was in command. He was the one who ordered that course to be taken, at least according to what we have discovered. There was someone in particular that wanted to be signalled from the ship.’

Schettino gave the order for the doomed sail-by of the island as a ‘salute of respect’ for former Costa commander Mario Palombo, whose parents are from Giglio, it is alleged.

The stunt – as passengers were enjoying dinner at 9.30pm on Friday – was apparently also a favour for the ship’s maître d’ Antonello Tievoli, who lives on the island.

Italian news reports said that minutes before the Concordia crashed into an underwater reef just two hours into a seven-day Mediterranean cruise, Schettino told the head waiter: ‘Come and look, we are passing over your Giglio.’ After his rescue, Tievoli is understood to have joked: ‘I never thought I would get dropped off at home.’

His 82-year-old father Giuseppe said his son had phoned him before the accident to say the crew would salute him by blowing the ship’s whistle as they passed by.

He said: ‘Antonello called and said that we should look out of the window at around 9.30pm because he would be on the ship and it would pass right by Giglio. All the ships do it but they never come that close – I was at the window with my wife and, as he said, the ship went past.’

Wait...all the ships do it??

that's a news article with he said, she said stuff. It's a bit like saying "an eye witness said .......". If you want to hang the captain based on what you think is fact, go ahead, but much of the "fact" that we've seen so far may well turn out not to actually be fact.

Don't get me wrong...I think he made some serious errors in judgement and will be found guilty, but I'd like to know how the ship hit what rock....was the captain on the bridge (or did someone else actually miscalculate where they were)...were the instruments working correctly.... have they found the rocks that he hit by scuba diving and getting visuals? What's the real time line of events?

I'd also like to know if Costa knew about his plan to "fly by" or had time to stop it, based on their 24 hour a day monitoring. I'd like to know how costa trains crew members and who certifies that they are safety trained....and lots more.

...I'd also like to know if Costa knew about his plan to "fly by" or had time to stop it, based on their 24 hour a day monitoring... .

No, they didn't know about and therefore couldn't stop him.

They are not doing a 24 hour monitoring, but let's just say... they do... they still had no time to stop him.

They are not doing a 24 hour monitoring, but let's just say... they do... they still had no time to stop him.

If the reports that he left early and refused orders to return are true, he is also, apparently, not particularly susceptible to being told what to do.

Watch the news conference from Costa and read their transcript in there they say that some ships do go by to give the tourist on the islands " a show" they also state that there rules is to be 500 meters out and all the data is showing that he was only 150 meters. They also state that the alarms are set to sound should the ship go over course BUT can also be over ridden manually.

I'm trying to do the amateur dective thing as many are and having read just about all the navagational posts as I can find, I have a question: how did the ship end up with the bow pointing southerly.

The only way I can figure it out is that it made a wide-ass turn after the "accicent" and headed for the island. THAT must have taken on a mass of water but pax reports dont mention a sudden listing that a turn would have invoked. The severe listing seemed to be reported later after the ship came to a halt, close to shore.

Slowly, slowly catchie monkey.

You know, when they do the full investigation, I would not be surprised if someone in HQ didn't know about the plan....an email from the captain is all they need to find. Just because they say they didn't know, doesn't always mean that they didn't know....and then you get into who knew, etc.

One would think that a 24 hour monitoring operation would trigger an alarm if a ship veered off course.....which the Concordia obviously did. What is the procedure at Costa HQ to react to that type of alarm?

I'm reasonably confident that Costa HQ will be found to be involved in this, perhaps thru training, perhaps thru inaction.....for now, they are claiming that they knew nothing and have no culpability. We'll see.

(How about the CEO of Carnival?) Maybe the Captain jumped ship for his own safety, but he was not the only officer on board and in the bridge who should have taken action.

Good point

According to the some reports ,the 1st Officer is under arrest also.

The Chief Engineer and the rest of Duty Engineers and El.Engineers/need to add the oilers on watch are very important witnesses,but I am afraid mostly of them are missing trapped in Engine Room compartments.

I want to be wrong

Captain abandoned ship before all crew and passengers were accounted for. They are still not all accounted for. Ergo....a FACT, not conjecture. He should still be there..until it sinks or the search for survivors is called off.

If a mayday was not HEARD, then it was NOT sent. Fact, not conjecture.

Do you really believe this?

You know, when they do the full investigation, I would not be surprised if someone in HQ didn't know about the plan....an email from the captain is all they need to find. Just because they say they didn't know, doesn't always mean that they didn't know....and then you get into who knew, etc.

One would think that a 24 hour monitoring operation would trigger an alarm if a ship veered off course.....which the Concordia obviously did. What is the procedure at Costa HQ to react to that type of alarm?

I'm reasonably confident that Costa HQ will be found to be involved in this, perhaps thru training, perhaps thru inaction.....for now, they are claiming that they knew nothing and have no culpability. We'll see.

There is no such 24 hour monitoring and no alarm. The alarm is on the vessels bridge only.

Costa clearly had given out the order to stay away from shore for more than the legal limit.

And a fact is, the ship IS too close and the incident HAPPENED too close, so, it IS the captains fault.

Leaving the ship and then refusing to go back, only offering to go back and get the black box (to probably do severe damage to it and drop it into the water on the way back :D) is wrong.

Archived