"will costa survive?"

H82seaUgo

Costa will not survive this under the name Costa, they will need to fold into one of Carnival Corp's other lines.

Which one?

The 'British' Cunard or P&O?

The 'German' AIDA?

The 'Dutch' HAL?

Go on, tell us, I'm sure Italian passengers would blend right in on any of these lines.....:rolleyes:

I think that's uncalled for. It seems to me you're implying suing is wrong no matter what ordeal people go through. You're sounding rather calloused about it.

I think the poster means that americans tend to view a tragedy like this as an opportunity to "cash in" not necessarily receive fair compensation. I worked for a big box retailer and we were sued by a man for $200,000 because his daughter got a splinter from some lumber. I do think suing is an option in this instance, but the potential for ridiculous amounts is what makes me uncomfortable.

Thoughts and prayers to those who lives have been changed by theses events.

May you find peace of mind, peace of heart, and peace of soul.

which shows their evacuation procedures worked.

Actually what worked was people taking evacuation into their own hands--survival instincts kicked in. Considering there was no passenger safety drill, I'm not sure how you can say anything "worked."

You will find that A) Carnival will distance itself from Costa making it clear they are their own company based in Genoa Italy....this has already started to happen....I have read this in several stories....Also Carnival has not issued any statements....everything is coming through Costa.

Agreed,

You will find that B) They will praise the staff and coastguard for saving the passengers.....Always accentuate the positive They May C) Paint the COSTA C off the smokestack because every picture taken shows "Costa" and without it....people have short memories and get on to the next story. Airlines do this when they have a crash. And D) The details will be a controlled dribble where REAL information will be released on Friday afternoons when you have the LEAST amount of people reading the news....this is an old PR trick. Anytime you want something to be released but go unnoticed....Drop your stories on Friday at 3PM. They will either scuttle, rename, or sell this to another one of their lines with a new name....like Princess or Carnival.....Didn't the Carnival Splendour also have problems and was the sister to this one? so maybe not there!

Airlines no longer routinely cover their logos after air accidents. In the digital age everyone knows immediately, so there's no reason to do so. And people don't forget disasters. We're still talking about the Hindenburg and the Titanic.

Sadly, the people who are alive will have little or no recourse as these ships are registered in countries where lawsuits are difficult and your conditions of carrige often allows the cruiselines to choose their own mediators. Cruises are a TERRIBLY unregulated business.....and our Governments Really need to have a close look at it.

It's my understanding the Europeans and Australians have quite a bit of recourse written into their laws. They don't have to sue to be made whole.

Regardless.....My heart goes out to the people killed and to those who survived...I am glad you are safe and sound. ERF

Agreed.

Which one?

The 'British' Cunard or P&O?

The 'German' AIDA?

The 'Dutch' HAL?

Go on, tell us, I'm sure Italian passengers would blend right in on any of these lines.....:rolleyes:

Costa is not exclusively sailed by or marketed to Italians.

Costa is not exclusively sailed by or marketed to Italians.

Its primary market is Italian, its ships are built and crewed by Italians and its flagged in Italy - so answer the question (here's a hint - its bigger than any of those other lines...indeed bigger than some of them added together...)

I think the poster means that americans tend to view a tragedy like this as an opportunity to "cash in" not necessarily receive fair compensation. I worked for a big box retailer and we were sued by a man for $200,000 because his daughter got a splinter from some lumber. I do think suing is an option in this instance, but the potential for ridiculous amounts is what makes me uncomfortable.

Thoughts and prayers to those who lives have been changed by theses events.

May you find peace of mind, peace of heart, and peace of soul.

I have sued twice in my life, both times because I was damaged through someone else's action and it was the only way I could be made whole. All I asked for (and received) was the amount of my monetary losses.

In this case I'd want the same. And if it turns out that there was criminal culpability, I'd want some extra for the inconvenience and mental anguish. But I wouldn't be looking for enough to retire on, just enough to take a nice vacation. Frankly I don't think that's too much to ask given the situation.

Its primary market is Italian, its ships are built and crewed by Italians and its flagged in Italy - so answer the question (here's a hint - its bigger than any of those other lines...indeed bigger than some of them added together...)

Many cruise ships for any number of cruise lines are built in Italy.

Yep. In 1934 White Star merged with Cunard and became Cunard White Star. In 1949 Cunard White Star became 'Cunard'. White Star Line, now known as Cunard is part of Carnival Corporation, owner of Costa Cruises.

I'm sensing a pattern here... ;)

How many are flagged in Italy, home ported in Italy, and primarily cater to an Italian clientele?

Still waiting for an answer to the question.....:D

How many ships that serve the US market are built and flagged in the US?

The point is that if a decent portion of their market share look to other lines, Costa will fail. Not sure why that's a difficult point to grasp.

The point is that if a decent portion of their market share look to other lines, Costa will fail. Not sure why that's a difficult point to grasp.

The difficult point you have failed to address is WHICH other Carnival line would Costa be folded into and WHY would an otherwise successful business be closed down because of an accident in which 99.6% of those onboard survived?

Italy is in a pretty dire position at the moment, but I strongly suspect they will do what most of the rest of us would do and 'rally round' a strong Italian brand....or do you still think a British, German or Dutch alternative would be better?

How many are flagged in Italy, home ported in Italy, and primarily cater to an Italian clientele?

Still waiting for an answer to the question.....:D

The answer is Costa. If Costa can continue to fill it's fleet and make a profit, it will survive. We're peering into the future while there are many questions to be sorted out in the present. The passengers haven't fully been accounted for on the Concordia.

Until that happens and the whole disaster is fully litigated, all we can do is speculate on what the future holds for Costa as a brand.

The difficult point you have failed to address is WHICH other Carnival line would Costa be folded into and WHY would an otherwise successful business be closed down because of an accident in which 99.6% of those onboard survived?

Italy is in a pretty dire position at the moment, but I strongly suspect they will do what most of the rest of us would do and 'rally round' a strong Italian brand....or do you still think a British, German or Dutch alternative would be better?

You seem to be unable to grasp that people aren't going to "rally round" a brand that has deserted their fellow citizens in a time of need. Costa's immediate reaction to this disaster is what will stick in people's minds. 48 hours later, the cruise line seems to continue to flounder without a plan or announcement. Even people calling them about immediately upcoming cruises are being stonewalled and put off based on several posts on these boards.

There seems to be an utter lack of contingency or disaster planning. You seem to imply that Italians have no other choices when that isn't the case. I suspect they will go towards those other choices, and they won't include a cruise line that has let so many of their fellow citizens in the lurch.

Until that happens and the whole disaster is fully litigated, all we can do is speculate on what the future holds for Costa as a brand.

If it turns out that a criminal act of an employee of the cruise line caused this disaster, the insurance carrier (most likely Lloyds or Chubb) can refuse to pay any claims. Can Costa afford what will likely be a 3/4 billion US dollar hit to the bottom line?

You seem to be unable to grasp that people aren't going to "rally round" a brand that has deserted their fellow citizens in a time of need.

4,200 people were on the ship. One of them has posted on this board (and not since 8.30 this morning - so I hope she's on her way home) that 'more could have been done' - and you conclude that Costa 'deserted their fellow citizens in a time of need'....care to provide any links to press coverage saying that?

Meanwhile, which Carnival brand is Costa going to be rolled into again?

4,200 people were on the ship. One of them has posted on this board (and not since 8.30 this morning - so I hope she's on her way home) that 'more could have been done' - and you conclude that Costa 'deserted their fellow citizens in a time of need'....care to provide any links to press coverage saying that?

Meanwhile, which Carnival brand is Costa going to be rolled into again?

They may totally rename/brand Costa. Who knows. My point is that they are going to have a difficult time keeping the Costa brand alive given the response to this situation.

By the way, there have been a number of other people interviewed on video news reports who have had similar experiences as the CC poster. Turn on CNN.

I don't give a hoot how many frivolous lawsuits people file every day, that's irrelevant and shouldn't even come into the conversation. Every person on this Costa ship has a right--and a very good reason--to sue and be heard in court. To say otherwise is calloused and irresponsible.

I think the poster means that americans tend to view a tragedy like this as an opportunity to "cash in" not necessarily receive fair compensation. I worked for a big box retailer and we were sued by a man for $200,000 because his daughter got a splinter from some lumber.

If it turns out that a criminal act of an employee of the cruise line caused this disaster, the insurance carrier (most likely Lloyds or Chubb) can refuse to pay any claims. Can Costa afford what will likely be a 3/4 billion US dollar hit to the bottom line?

No, it wouldn't be able to. That's my point. The poster I answered wanted a definitive answer to her question and I did the best I could, present circumstances accounted for.

I agree with you that the future does not look good for Costa. After Carnival cuts it's losses, who would be in a position to buy Costa, re-brand, and continue to serve it's predominately Italian market...no one.

No, it wouldn't be able to. That's my point. The poster I answered wanted a definitive answer to her question and I did the best I could, present circumstances accounted for.

I agree with you that the future does not look good for Costa. After Carnival cuts it's losses, who would be in a position to buy Costa, re-brand, and continue to serve it's predominately Italian market...no one.

Those who might be in the position financially would probably not have an appetite for it.

They may totally rename/brand Costa. Who knows. My point is that they are going to have a difficult time keeping the Costa brand alive given the response to this situation.

So by that logic, every time an airline had a hull loss (often with much lower survivability than 99.6%) they should rename/rebrand or go out of business?

The officers, deck, engineering other senior positions are Italians, but the rest of the crew are Indians, Indonesians, Peruvians etc.

Ron

So by that logic, every time an airline had a hull loss (often with much lower survivability than 99.6%) they should rename/rebrand or go out of business?

It's happened in the airline industry. The Concorde, PanAm.

The market will ultimately determine whether it survives. It has or will become a question of trust in Costa's case, which is very difficult for any corporation to regain once consumers feel betrayed by their actions.

Those are my thoughts exactly. That would mean that AA, Air France, KLM and many other airlines should not be in business today, however they are still in the air flying with their original brand names....

Archived