"will costa survive?"

H82seaUgo

that's the disussion on the news outlets this morning.

hadn't thought much about this, yet are making such damaging statements such as "nightmare" "disaster" "disorganization" "chaos" and "every single thing in this was botched by costa cruise line".

passenger melissa goduti's account was interesting.

that's the disussion on the news outlets this morning.

hadn't thought much about this, yet are making such damaging statements such as "nightmare" "disaster" "disorganization" "chaos" and "every single thing in this was botched by costa cruise line".

passenger melissa goduti's account was interesting.

If White Star can survive the sinking of Titanic then Costa can survive this.

Im sure the ships and the future business will survive , but depending on what really happened, what actions were taken .. there is still alot of information that needs to come out.

remember Value jet.. that airline was completely at fault ( along with its maintenence provider) the accident investigations was so bad that they had to default and today it runs as Air Tran

Yes. Its a strong Italian brand with Italian heritage and an Italian client base. Why would it not survive? The 'missing' is now 17 - lets hope some are just unaccounted for - like the 4 Japanese travellers who made their own way to Rome - but even if, tragically, all 17 are lost - thats less than one half of one percent onboard - in other words, despite this terrible accident, 99.6% made it off....

.....but even if, tragically, all 17 are lost

- that's less than one half of one percent onboard

- in other words, despite this terrible accident, 99.6% made it off....

Yes.. admirable survival statistics, and we might thank things like SOLAS for that.

SOLAS = Safety Of Life At Sea

Please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Convention_for_the_Safety_of_Life_at_Sea

Costa as a brand will likely survive because of the parent company's strength in the market. However, they will certainly take a hit to their reputation and revenue. Bookings will likely drop in the short term and they may have to quietly put them on sale.

A comparison would be Louis Cruise Lines after the Sea Diamond sinking, where two people died and a rescue worker died in the aftermath. It is eerily similar, although there seems to be more complaints about the Costa crew than in the Louis situation. Louis survived but they have taken a financial hit.

First off....Costa has always been the lowest of the low of cruiselines. They stopped marketing to Americans years ago as all they received were complaints...The began to focus on italy and South America, offer kids for free and do whatever it took to fill the ships relying on the onboard spend ....which is quite large considering these ships are built for low staff, many passengers and cheap food. There were 3350 passengers onboard and 1000 staff......

They Will survive as regardless of the chaos of moving 4000 people off a ship you have a less then 1% mortality rate....which shows their evacuation procedures worked. While no death is ideal...realistically this number is quite low given the situation.

You will find that A) Carnival will distance itself from Costa making it clear they are their own company based in Genoa Italy....this has already started to happen....I have read this in several stories....Also Carnival has not issued any statements....everything is coming through Costa. You will find that B) They will praise the staff and coastguard for saving the passengers.....Always accentuate the positive They May C) Paint the COSTA C off the smokestack because every picture taken shows "Costa" and without it....people have short memories and get on to the next story. Airlines do this when they have a crash. And D) The details will be a controlled dribble where REAL information will be released on Friday afternoons when you have the LEAST amount of people reading the news....this is an old PR trick. Anytime you want something to be released but go unnoticed....Drop your stories on Friday at 3PM. They will either scuttle, rename, or sell this to another one of their lines with a new name....like Princess or Carnival.....Didn't the Carnival Splendour also have problems and was the sister to this one? so maybe not there!

Sadly, the people who are alive will have little or no recourse as these ships are registered in countries where lawsuits are difficult and your conditions of carrige often allows the cruiselines to choose their own mediators. Cruises are a TERRIBLY unregulated business.....and our Governments Really need to have a close look at it.

Regardless.....My heart goes out to the people killed and to those who survived...I am glad you are safe and sound. ERF

I think Costa will survive. It will face lots of demands though. However, this emergency affects not only Costa, but the whole ship industry. I imagine many future cruises will be cancelled because this tragedy.

Although this incident appears not to be weather related, I think cruise lines will re-evaluate their current risk models. We can expect to hear of itinerary changes, cancellations of excursions, etc as a result of this.

Hopefully, cruise lines will review their policies, procedures and implement changes where there are still vulnerabilities.

Richard Fain at Royal Caribbean has previously voiced concerns about muster drills in the past, especially where passengers put on life jackets to "practice." However, we might see a movement to make the muster drill more meaningful and to be standardized. The issue with the Concordia is that she picks up passengers at different ports. Logistically, it may be difficult to have muster drills for incoming passengers in a timely manner.

In the cruise line's perspective, they have pretty much lost a valuable asset - the ship. They will likely be motivated to protect valuable assets than what the payoff would be required for 3 fatalities. (Cynical, I know - but that is the reality.)

depends on how many Americans are onboard and will sue to make a fortune of the disaster.

I think that's uncalled for. It seems to me you're implying suing is wrong no matter what ordeal people go through. You're sounding rather calloused about it.

Keep an eye on stock exchange ticker symbol CCL an hour after the opening bell tomorrow;)

Not sure that the stock exchange will be open tomorrow since it is a federal holiday (Martin Luther King Day) but also not sure that the stock market's performance is a good indicator of Costa's long term viability.

First off....Costa has always been the lowest of the low of cruiselines. They stopped marketing to Americans years ago as all they received were complaints...

Actually, Costa *does* market to Americans--and during the Western Mediterranean cruise on COSTA MAGICA that my wife and I took in October, the Americans at our table were quite happy with the ship.

As for what happened after the accident, there's no way to predict how people will behave in an emergency. Matters probably weren't helped by the timing of the accident: Most people would have been at dinner or in other public rooms at that hour, which meant that a lot of people would have been trying to reach their cabins (to fetch lifejackets) on the way to their muster stations. What's more, it can be difficult to find one's way to a muster station on a huge ship with multiple staircases and corridors that don't run the length of the ship on all decks. (I've never been lost on a small ship, but I've occasionally lost my bearings on megaships.)

First off....Costa has always been the lowest of the low of cruiselines. They stopped marketing to Americans years ago as all they received were complaints...The began to focus on italy and South AmericaERF

You have no idea what you are talking about. Costa has been the number one European cruiseline for about 20 years. Roughly 5 years ago they BEGAN marketing Caribbean cruises to Americans. They have ALWAYS focused on Italy, as they are the number one European cruiseline.

Im sure the ships and the future business will survive , but depending on what really happened, what actions were taken .. there is still alot of information that needs to come out.

remember Value jet.. that airline was completely at fault ( along with its maintenence provider) the accident investigations was so bad that they had to default and today it runs as Air Tran

They got lucky that there was a floundering competitor they could by for cheap and take the name of. You couldn't pay me to fly them still. Costa will not survive this under the name Costa, they will need to fold into one of Carnival Corp's other lines.

There weren't as many competitors or lawyers back then. I see this like Pan Am 103. They will not survive.

There were more competitors back then - and Costa is an (otherwise) successful business - in complete contrast to the failing Pan Am ahead of 103....

Archived