"will costa survive?"

H82seaUgo

BP survived Macondo after wiping out the livelihood of many residents of the Gulf states and killing a few rig workers. Costa will survive. The question is should they be allowed to. Ask the familiies of those that didn't survive this disasterous screw-up.

18% was wiped of CCL shares on the FTSE today. That amounts to tens of billions of investors' money gone.

CCL can wind up Costa and rebrand the ships as Carnival Europe, P&O or another line they own. Some are old anyway, and could be sold off to Thomson or Louis.

The Costa brand is tainted.

I like the Costa brand i dont believe it is tainted.

People compare this to past incidents and other companies surviving. But in today's 24 hour news blitz and social media frenzy it will be tough for Costa to recover in the short term. Heck...this has been the top story on CNN for days now and I've seen multiple threads about this on college and professional SPORTS message boards.

Hopefully Costa is already thinking of a name change.

The difficult point you have failed to address is WHICH other Carnival line would Costa be folded into and WHY would an otherwise successful business be closed down because of an accident in which 99.6% of those onboard survived?

Italy is in a pretty dire position at the moment, but I strongly suspect they will do what most of the rest of us would do and 'rally round' a strong Italian brand....or do you still think a British, German or Dutch alternative would be better?

Oh for Pete's sake!!!!

I'm only halfway through this thread and I'm already sick of this petty argument in an otherwise intelligent thread!

REALLY? These National designations mean about as much as McDonalds calling their potatos FRENCH fries. Get a grip. If you want a vacation, you find the ship that you like, that's going where you want to go. Period. I go to ALASKA, I'm AMERICAN, and I only go on HOLLAND AMERICA.

I'll shut up now, as I've reached the point of only contributing to this misery.

Strong brands don't buckle under pressure and curl under a rock by changing their name, that's just an easy way out.

Costa's name is well-known and admired in Italy due to its heritage, there is no reason to change names.

I see what you did there. :eek:

Why? What's that company that used to be called 'BP' called...oh yes, 'BP'.

That had 24/7 coverage for MONTHS.....this will slip from the headlines in days...

PanAm, the Concorde, ValuJet

All of those were absorbed or restructured after disaster. And, being from the Deep South, I can tell you that BP is far from done paying out.

I posted a comment about our experience on this ship in December of 2008. We decided that our family would never again take the risk of traveling on a Costa ship. My husband and I have taken upwards of 10 cruises, many with our children and grandchildren. We love them too much to travel with Costa. We weep for those injured and lost. We are not at all surprised by the failure of Costa Cruises to operate a safe ship. We are not surprised by Costa Cruise's failure to care about their passengers safety, comfort or welfare.

Ellen

#13 report.gif

post_old.gif December 12th, 2008, 04:31 PM

emcc user_online.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gifCosta Concordia collision

I posted several weeks ago regarding the collision as we were on the ship, actually on our balcony, watching the entire mess. As to the remarks about the Costa keeping everything quiet, I would concur very strongly.

We were due in port in Rome at about 8 AM but did not arrive until after 1 PM. This meant that we missed all of our flights home. Beginning the evening of the crash when it became very clear that we would not leave anywhere near on time, we started asking the staff about what arrangements were being made so that we could get home even if a day late. When we mentioned that travel in the US is difficult on the week of Thanksgiving, we got blank looks. No one could or would tell us anything!

The next morning we gathered in the theater waiting to get off the ship and the staff there refused agressively to answer any questions; they said that they were busy with passengers leaving on excursions. I can sympathize with that but we were getting extremely anxious about travel home.

We finally got off the ship and were told that a "tour desk" was on the dock as we disembarked. Quess what, no "tour desk" and questions for staff on the dock were met with surly replies. Then we were assured that the "tour desk" was outside of the tent where we were to collect our luggage. Of course, no tour desk. We were herded into a bus which dropped us of at the Rome airport with no one from Costa on the bus and no one to meet the bus.

I was left standing with a pile of luggage in the airport while my husband and chldren searched for help from Luftansa or anyone. It was actually frightening. Finally they found someone on another level and we hustled there to wait another four hours standing while on unhappy Costa person gave us information about new flights for the next day. We were taken to a hotel near the airport where we had the best dinner that we had tasted since we left home. After getting up at 3 AM to get to the airport and get a flight, we spent 30 hours on planes and in airports. We did arrive home but any rest and relaxation from the cruise were history.

This was our fourth cruise on Costa but will be our last. The quality of the food, the service, the quality of the excursions has declined dramatically since our last trip with them. Our experience before with Costa were eight years earlier and the food, service, etc was excellent. Perhaps the sale to the Carnival company is the problem. The final straw was the realization that Costa only wants the next dollar; they have lost us as repeat customers and I would encourage anyone to carefully consider whether they want to take this cruise line. Look agressively for alternatives.

My husband is from Sicily and we have traveled often in Italy and other western and eastern European countries. The smoking, lack of politeness from other passengers, and lack of "line manners" was not a surprise to us but did make the trip less enjoyable.

Our next trip will be to the Scandanacian countries but NOT on Costa.

REALLY? These National designations mean about as much as McDonalds calling their potatos FRENCH fries. Get a grip.

And yet another lecture from a North American to Europe on why national designations don't matter! Try telling that to the Germans on Aida, the Brits on Cunard/P&O, the Italians on Costa or the Spanish on Iberocruise. Funnily enough, the world is not necessarily the same as the way as it is seen from some in the US.

Is White Star Still in business today?

Yep. In 1934 White Star merged with Cunard and became Cunard White Star. In 1949 Cunard White Star became 'Cunard'. White Star Line, now known as Cunard, is part of Carnival Corporation, owner of Costa Cruises.

.......now I understand......Costa will survive.......the sinking of Titanic.....:D

.......now I understand......Costa will survive.......the sinking of Titanic.....:D

The titanic was not captained by an unprofessional , reckless idiot , who endagered thousands of lives needlessly while the home office turned a blind eye to his course deviations and frequent dangerous passes of the island of Giglio for over a year.

The iceberg was truly un charted unlike captain schettino's rock . Now do you understand

why Costa will not survive?

the home office turned a blind eye to his course deviations and frequent dangerous passes of the island of Giglio for over a year.

Got a good source for that? If not you might need a good lawyer.

Costa say the close pass was done ONCE before, with Coast Guard approval.

The evidence for 'frequent dangerous passes for over a year is'.....?

The evidence is video and many witnesses . Why would I need a lawyer ?

There is video of ONE sail by - approved by the Coastguard and the Company - unless you can post links to other sailbys I'd be careful about libelling the company.....

Got a good source for that? If not you might need a good lawyer.

Costa say the close pass was done ONCE before, with Coast Guard approval.

The evidence for 'frequent dangerous passes for over a year is'.....?

Why would someone on a message board need a lawyer? :rolleyes:

Message board discussions do not amount to libel, defamation, or slander, especially when you are discussing something that is current and breaking news.

Where do we get some of these posters from?!?!

There is video of ONE sail by - approved by the Coastguard and the Company - unless you can post links to other sailbys I'd be careful about libelling the company.....

I think that big cruise ship sitting sideways with a giant rock embedded inside of it has done much more to "libel" the company than anything a guy on a message board could ever do.

You know...pictures are worth a thousand words and all...

Why would someone on a message board need a lawyer? :rolleyes:

Message board discussions do not amount to libel, defamation, or slander, especially when you are discussing something that is current and breaking news.

Where do we get some of these posters from?!?!

Something that is written that is defamatory and untrue is a libel - can be in any medium - if you are going to claim that Costa "turned a blind eye to frequent dangerous passes of the island for over a year" you'd better be pretty confident of your sources - which I've no doubt the poster who claimed that will now post.....

Archived