WJ for dinner on Oasis?

39august

I've read many posts about the WJ on Oasis being small and crowded. How is it for dinner? Is there as much variety at dinner as on other RCI ships, please? We have been doing only in suite and WJ dinner dining for the past 3 cruises. Just decided we'd been there and done that for MDR after more than 30 cruises. So will we be happy with WJ for dinner on Oasis?

I've read many posts about the WJ on Oasis being small and crowded. How is it for dinner? Is there as much variety at dinner as on other RCI ships, please? We have been doing only in suite and WJ dinner dining for the past 3 cruises. Just decided we'd been there and done that for MDR after more than 30 cruises. So will we be happy with WJ for dinner on Oasis?

I can't speak to the quality or variety of food offered each night, but we went there the first night and I noticed most of the MDR menu food from Day 1 was offered on the buffet (where practical). I had the strawberry pavlova, which I love on the first night. It was not crowded when we went for dinner, it was a very nice atmosphere actually! Not sure if it gets busier as the week goes on at night. We didnt try it for lunch or breakfast at all.

BTW, I agree with you about the menus in the MDR...I don't always find it worth the 2 hours it takes to dine there,a nd am getting a bit bored with the same menus on every vessel! I liked Oasis because there are so many other different free places to eat and the quality and healthful-ness of the offerings is better!~

We've eaten in the WJ for dinner a couple of times on Freedom and it was great. Candles on tables and they did have one dish Chicken Marsala that was also being served that night in MDR. I didn't mind eating there at all and they even had a bar to get drinks. I wonder if Oasis is the same way with bar, candles etc.

While on Oasis, we dined at the WJ one night towards the middle of our cruise. I don't remember exactly what the offerings were but it was very quiet and relaxing. It was just a day that we didn't feel like getting dressed for the MDR nor did we care for whatever they were serving that night. I'd say give it a try. If you don't like it, there are plenty of other venues for you to try.

We ate in the Oasis Windjammer a few times when we weren't quite up to the two-hour pace of dinner in the MDR. I found the Windjammer much quieter than during the day, plus I felt there was a good selection of food. I looked forward to the fruit cobbler at night. There were plenty of places to sit; no scramble to find a table and chairs.

Actually I'd just as soon eat in the Windjammer almost every night. I felt the MDR last December on Oasis was too crowded and just too noisy. It is supposed to be elegant dining, but no truly elegant restaurant would be that noisy and the waiters so rushed. But paradoxically, even though the waiters appear to be very rushed, service is quite slow and I thought the portions were the smallest we've ever had in the MDR, especially desserts.

All that said, I love sailing on Oasis and hope the OP will like it as much as I do.

I echo many other posters. We stopped MDR and MTD because it just takes way too long. We do not do appetizers or dessert, so waiting for everyone else was just cutting into our show times, or trivia, or lounge time. The WJ has the same items being served in the MDR and thensome. And the WJ is really my time dining without all the hassles.

We've eaten in the WJ for dinner a couple of times on Freedom and it was great. Candles on tables and they did have one dish Chicken Marsala that was also being served that night in MDR. I didn't mind eating there at all and they even had a bar to get drinks. I wonder if Oasis is the same way with bar, candles etc.

Candles on the tables, or anywhere else on a cruise ship, are not something that I have ever seen.

There was over 6300 people on our Allure cruise (well over the standard "100%" capacity due to high 3rd/4th pax stateroom utilization) and honestly, I found the Windjammer busy at times..but never so bad that with a few minutes of waiting we couldn't get a table. Heck, we ate at the WJ quite often and on every occasion except one we got a window seat, at that.

Usually we'd go in as a group, one person would split off and survey/wait for a table while the rest of us got our food...then we'd find the table-spotter (who would usually have a table, or be very close to getting one by that point), sit down, and the table-spotter would go for their plate. It worked perfectly.

After reading all the stories of woe about WJ here I expected it to be literally insane in there, but honestly...if you've ever ate in a busy buffet restaurant before chances are you won't find it much different.

I was amazed at how well organized and fully stocked the food tables were at all times even during the crazy times - they do an amazing job.

I agree, MDR takes too long, specialty restaurants - never been - don't intend to either. After a long day, we really prefer room service. Maybe we're just getting old and cranky. We check the menu each day, and only go to MDR if there is something we like that isn't on WJ menu.

Archived