Phone Call Tape Released

cruisead

Just now on the Today Show, they played a taped phone conversation between the captain and a person from the Italian Port Authority which shows that the captain did leave the ship early. CNN also just read a transcript where the PA asked him how many people were still on board and he supposedly responded two to three hundred. At that point the PA asked where the captain was and he said the ship was keeling so he left the ship. The PA said "you abandoned the ship?". Then there was confusion as to where the captain was, but the PA kept screaming for him to get back on the ship.

I think that this should put the speculation to an end. The captain handled this poorly from the beginning to the end, to put it mildly.

No doubt he will be spending many years behind bars, where he belongs, for costing people their lives.

Not to mention the crew who he left without direction in the evacuation proceedure. He abandoned his post. We can go to all the muster drills we want but without a line of command at an abandon ship, the problem is at the executive end.

Pretty damning audio. He is in big trouble it seems and it will be interesting to see what actually happens to him. With another five dead found tonight, I don't like his chances of freedom. Is all very sad and outrageous

I think that this should put the speculation to an end. The captain handled this poorly from the beginning to the end, to put it mildly.

No doubt he will be spending many years behind bars, where he belongs, for costing people their lives.

Not to mention the crew who he left without direction in the evacuation proceedure. He abandoned his post. We can go to all the muster drills we want but without a line of command at an abandon ship, the problem is at the executive end.

I couldn't agree more! I think the crew did their best without any direction from the captain and if the captain would have been on the ship to assist the officers and crew things would have been different. He didn't issue a mayday so those on land were not ready to provide support to those that were arriving by lifeboats, he waited to long to give the abandon ship order which created chaos and panic among the passengers and crew who knew something terrible was happening and not just an "electrial problem" and he left the ship, and I'm sure the crew were looking for him or other officers to give them direction on how to handle the emergency evacuation after things were out of control. JMO

Wow - the recording is pretty damning. I understand a little Italian and one can tell that the Port Authority is becoming more and more angry with the Captain and orders him back on board quite clearly.

That was very loosely translated (by ABC) and I think the captain was in shock. He continued to acknowledge his superiors and answer the PA's questions but had enough wherewithal to be defiant. I would hate to be in his shoes.

I was in a car accident that was equally my fault and yet I was so adamant that the other guy was to blame. I was in shock! My mouth would not allow me to accept responsibility. And really, I should've because it was an "accident" and I had insurance so it's not like I was going to be sued.

Just read the transcript of Schettino's communications with a Coast Guard commander. Shocking. Like something from a movie or a play. He resisted orders to return to his ship to get a count of passengers still on board. How did this guy get promoted to captain in the first place?! Shameful.

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/1116771--concordia-captain-resists-orders-to-reboard-ship-read-transcript?bn=1

The recording is just ridiculous. I mean, so completely irresponsible. Honestly, I don't give a crap if he's in shock. I think the Coast Guard guy was trying to snap him out of it and give him orders he could follow. And he couldn't even do that.

Honestly, this whole thing just makes me so mad and so sad. The couple from MN that had saved for their dream vacation that lasted 3 hours is killing me. Just killing me.

This man is not cut out for command. Why did Costa choose him and promote him?

I would say, based on other comments made by previous cruisers and some of his current and previous crew, that prior to running aground, Captain Schettino had performed admirably.

But like a brittle piece of steel that snaps under pressure, his previous job performance gave no indication of what he would do in a crisis (a real one - not something like too few tenders at a given port, etc.).

His job performance prior to running aground did not include evacuating the ship in the middle of the night as the ship keeled over.

He (and his crew) probably had top ratings in risk management and safety because all the procedures were in place, in their notebooks, with duly appointed persons, and all the inspections done. All very ISO 9000 compliant.

Then it happened. And he wasn't up to it. Having a procedure in a notebook wasn't what was needed. What was needed wasa leader - a commander - up to the task. Someone cool and steady in the face of panic and fear. Usually isn't that much panic and fear to be faced as an officer on a cruise ship. Probably none. Captain Schettino had probably never had to. As the Brits say, "he let the side down."

If I ran a cruise line, I would have a training facility somewhere where officers, deck crew and engineering staff (and volunteer 'other' crew)could be put into intensive simulations of disaster at sea - smoke, lights going out, alarms going off, panicking "passengers" and blank faced evaluators with clip boards observing everything.

But then my investors would be angry because it wasted profit and the attorneys and bean counters would point out that its cheaper to just settle the lawsuits, etc. and I'd be ousted as the CEO.

These reports make me so angry, we sat in that lifeboat waiting for ages for a command to go, none came

Unbelievable... How long were you actually sitting in the lifeboat before someone made the decision to lower?

What an ordeal..

I would say, based on other comments made by previous cruisers and some of his current and previous crew, that prior to running aground, Captain Schettino had performed admirably.

But like a brittle piece of steel that snaps under pressure, his previous job performance gave no indication of what he would do in a crisis (a real one - not something like too few tenders at a given port, etc.).

His job performance prior to running aground did not include evacuating the ship in the middle of the night as the ship keeled over.

He (and his crew) probably had top ratings in risk management and safety because all the procedures were in place, in their notebooks, with duly appointed persons, and all the inspections done. All very ISO 9000 compliant

Then it happened. And he wasn't up to it. Having a procedure in a notebook wasn't what was needed. What was needed wasa leader - a commander - up to the task. Someone cool and steady in the face of panic and fear. Usually isn't that much panic and fear to be faced as an officer on a cruise ship. Probably none. Captain Schettino had probably never had to. As the Brits say, "he let the side down."

If I ran a cruise line, I would have a training facility somewhere where officers, deck crew and engineering staff (and volunteer 'other' crew)could be put into intensive simulations of disaster at sea - smoke, lights going out, alarms going off, panicking "passengers" and blank faced evaluators with clip boards observing everything.

But then my investors would be angry because it wasted profit and the attorneys and bean counters would point out that its cheaper to just settle the lawsuits, etc. and I'd be ousted as the CEO.

Completely agree with this. Don't know how employers can really test their staff's ability to cope in an emergency situation.

I'm a banker and was working in branches in the 80s when there were series of armed raids and also terrorist attacks. We were all trained in the procedures. I never had anything more traumatic to deal with as a manager than a relatively peaceful "sit in" by some poll tax protestors. However my best friend was in 2 armed raids and on both occasions was the one targeted by the assailant. She followed procedure despite being terrified. On one of the raids, out of the corner of her eye, she could see her manager quivering & quaking, hiding behind a filing cabinet. He had a complete breakdown at the time and a few years later had to take early retirement. I'd like to think I'd be brave and rational in a disaster, but having never really been put to the test, I don't know for sure that I would live up to what's expected of me.

Completely agree with this. Don't know how employers can really test their staff's ability to cope in an emergency situation.

I'm a banker and was working in branches in the 80s when there were series of armed raids and also terrorist attacks. We were all trained in the procedures. I never had anything more traumatic to deal with as a manager than a relatively peaceful "sit in" by some poll tax protestors. However my best friend was in 2 armed raids and on both occasions was the one targeted by the assailant. She followed procedure despite being terrified. On one of the raids, out of the corner of her eye, she could see her manager quivering & quaking, hiding behind a filing cabinet. He had a complete breakdown at the time and a few years later had to take early retirement. I'd like to think I'd be brave and rational in a disaster, but having never really been put to the test, I don't know for sure that I would live up to what's expected of me.

My brother-in-law is a top tier executive with a large corporation, and before he was hired he had to endure a several day long battery of psycological testing. Some of it dealt with how he would react in emergencies.

As a retired military officer it didn't phase him, but he said he understands why many top candidates would wash out during the hiring process.

Maybe it's something cruise lines should have in their SOP.

Archived