Explosive Captain Schettino drinking 30 mins before Impact

dingoboy

Tom Kington in Giglio

guardian.co.uk, Thursday 19 January 2012 12.09 GMT

Screen grab of a Moldovan woman believed to have been dining with the captain of the Costa Concordia. Photograph: La Repubblica

The cruise ship captain who crashed his vessel into rocks off the coast of Italy on Friday was accompanied on the bridge by a Moldovan woman at the moment of impact, Italian press reports have claimed.

Investigators are reportedly trying to locate the woman, a cruise ship passenger rep named as Domnica Cermontan, 25, to ask her if she can shed light on how captain Francesco Schettino failed to spot oncoming rocks.

Schettino reportedly named Cermontan to investigators as one of the people on the bridge at the time.

Cermontan has said in an interview with Moldovan TV station Jurnal TV that she was on the bridge of the ship on the night of the disaster, that she is an employee of ship owner Costa Crociere but was not on duty during the cruise, wrote Italian daily La Repubblica.

Il Secolo XIX, a Genoa newspaper, published a photo on Thursday allegedly showing Cermontan at dinner on board the ship.

Italian daily La Stampa reported on Thursday that Cermontan was a guest of an officer on board – not Schettino – and had been invited on to the bridge to enjoy the spectacle of the ship sailing close to the rocks on Giglio. According to company policy, guests of officers do not appear on official passenger lists, wrote La Stampa.

La Stampa said a British passenger had spotted Cermontan drinking with Schettino before the crash.

In an interview with the Sunday Telegraph at a Rome airport hotel after the grounding of the ship, Cermontan said Schettino's actions after the crash had saved thousands of lives. Schettino is being investigated for manslaughter and abandoning ship.

An Italian passenger on board said that he had seen Schettino drinking red wine with a woman and another person in one of the ship's restaurants until 9.05pm, less than an hour before the crash.

"Schettino, in a dark uniform, was sat in front of a young woman," Angelo Fabbri told newspaper Il Secolo XIX. "She appeared young, initially we thought she could even be his daughter. A beautiful woman, 35 to 40, slim, shoulder length blonde hair, a black dress with bare arms. They were laughing, they were informal, it was very merry. "The wine?" he added. "There is no doubt they drank, at least a whole decanter, the last drops were poured into the commander's glass."

What is cruise company policy re officers drinking.

I would have thought that as Master, or indeed any officer who worked on the bridge, would not be allowed to consume any alcohol at any time on board. For the simple reason even if that officer does so during their time off, or even day off, while at sea, they could be called to the bridge to take command at any moment in the event of an emergency.

I can't remember on previous cruises whether captains have consumed alcohol during formal dinners. I'd always assumed they didn't.

But regardless surely Costa Cruises, or any cruise line would not permit a Captain to take charge of the bridge after consuming any alcohol immediately prior, while it was still in his system???? Or was this part of the culture of Costa?

My personal opinion is that every person who is on that ship, should be on a passenger list before the ship leaves the port. It's a no brainer, in situations like this, it helps to have a correct and complete list of who is all on the ship. I have been reading on several websites, when this tragedy first happened, they didn't know if so and so was on the ship because they weren't listed for some reason. Doesn't matter if you are a special person to the Captain, Officers, etc. you still need to be on the list.

Hopefully, the Captain was given some type of test for drinking/drugs. How can he be allowed to drink when he is on duty? After all, he is the one that caused the accident very shortly after he had drinks/dinner. So in my estimation, he was on duty. Some one made a comment in one of my postings, that maybe he wasn't on duty and that is why he was having a drink or two.

Virtually every news report about this tragic incident refers to industry experts, the coast guard being totally shocked at how the captain could have allowed this to happen.

They can not believe the captain made so many stupid and dangerous mistakes. It all defies logical thought and professional seamanship on so many levels.

Perhaps his actions that lead to the impact, his confused and delayed reaction to the emergency and failure to order the evacuation much earlier and subsequent actions in running from the ship, not to mention his vey confused conversations with the coast guard point to fact that he was under the influence of alcohol and or drugs?

Was the real reason he left his sink ship early because he wanted to avoid testing to determine if he was under the influence.

My personal opinion is that every person who is on that ship, should be on a passenger list before the ship leaves the port. It's a no brainer, in situations like this, it helps to have a correct and complete list of who is all on the ship. I have been reading on several websites, when this tragedy first happened, they didn't know if so and so was on the ship because they weren't listed for some reason. Doesn't matter if you are a special person to the Captain, Officers, etc. you still need to be on the list.

Hopefully, the Captain was given some type of test for drinking/drugs. How can he be allowed to drink when he is on duty? After all, he is the one that caused the accident very shortly after he had drinks/dinner. So in my estimation, he was on duty. Some one made a comment in one of my postings, that maybe he wasn't on duty and that is why he was having a drink or two.

But he has already admitted he was in command of the ship on the sail past of the island.

Agreed about the list. I'm in aviation.

First thing the flight deck does in an emergency is contact the control tower, if time permits with "souls on board" - and any dangerous goods.

I simply can't believe that in an evacuation any cruise line, not just costa, would have officers charged with the safe keeping of these passenger lists.

Additionally you would think that hard copy plans of the ship would also be in safe hands on evacuation from the bridge to help external emergency services - coast guard, or fire services, to assist with search and rescue or fire fighting.

And you would think for safety sake these lists should be duplicated and allocated to several senior officers.

Perhaps his actions that lead to the impact, his confused and delayed reaction to the emergency and failure to order the evacuation much earlier and subsequent actions in running from the ship, not to mention his vey confused conversations with the coast guard point to fact that he was under the influence of alcohol and or drugs?

Was the real reason he left his sink ship early because he wanted to avoid testing to determine if he was under the influence.

Could very well be.. Ship's cook describes Captain's actions.

bosco

I agree with your latest post Dingoboy. More than likely, because of this cruise accident, there will be some new changes with regarding to emergency procedures and protocal. If a similar emergency arises again in the future like this one, makes me wonder if passengers will take things upon themselves, because of how slow the Captain was in abandoning the ship. I'm cruising the Oasis in March, so we will see if there are changes in the muster drill.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, this is why when boarding a ship there is a cutoff time to get on as the passenger list is given to the customs agents. So at everyport they stop at there should be a list. Customs should be able to fax or send a copy of the lists to whomever would need them at a point of emergency.

They should of had people give their names as they boarded the ferries to go to the other island.

I am assuming that you have cruised before and if you did, you may not recall, that when the passengers get off at a different port for a daily visit or whatever, you have to put you set/sail pass card through a slot which says you are leaving the ship and you also do the same, when you come back on the ship. I have heard the ship anounce peoples names over the ship sound system during the time the ship was getting ready to leave the port. I was assuming they were checking to see if they were on the ship, and their set/sail pass card didn't record their name through the slot as they came through. Just assuming. I was told by someone once, that when you first get your set/sail card and they take a picture of you, what they really are doing is getting a picture of your eyes, so when you leave or come back on the ship, the card and your eyes need to match, saying you are the correct person leaving the ship or returning to the ship.

From listening t the taped conversations between the Captain and the Port Officer (atrue hero by everyones estimation), it is clear to me that Schettino is foggy....and appears to sound somewhat under the influence to my ears....

The clarity in the Port Officer's voice juxtaposed to the equivocation in Schettino's voice is unmistakeable... His voice sounds shakey and he seems to be stumbling with his words.........

I think his lack of judgement in causeing the crash, and his deplorable conduct after can only be explained by the fact that he was under the influence.......

If there are not rules to this effect already I think Captains should be prohibited from drinking while on their ship. I understand this means the Captains would not be allowed to drink for six months....but that is life. Astronats can't drink while in space......that is life........... Doctors can't drink while performing surgery.......

I would be really disturbed to see a pilot walk back into the cabin and open a beer....even if the co-pilot was manning the flight.......

There are people lined up around the block to become Captains so I'm sure it would not be hard to find Captains who can stay sober for months at a time....... In an emergency they are always on duty.......

This may be a situation of one bad apple ruining it for all the responsible Captains out there....but that is life. You used to walk into the bar in the airport and see a Pilot drinking a martini......times change and the norms change........

I personally would want to vomit if I saw a Captain with a drink in his hand after this nightmare........ I think the culture will change as a result of this terrible tragedy.

I'm not defending this captain at all, believe me, but it's interesting reading some of the recent reviews (randomly) on this very site.

I see comments about how the captain of such and such ship didn't seem friendly, didn't make too many welcome aboard or good morning announcements, or how on the other hand he was very open to have his picture taken.

Maybe, just maybe, it's time we rethink how much time a captain should spend doing his core duties as opposed to trying to be a master of ceremony? I would rather have someone focused on getting me from point A to point B safely than helping to entertain me over the intercom are out on the promenade.

I am assuming that you have cruised before and if you did, you may not recall, that when the passengers get off at a different port for a daily visit or whatever, you have to put you set/sail pass card through a slot which says you are leaving the ship and you also do the same, when you come back on the ship. I have heard the ship anounce peoples names over the ship sound system during the time the ship was getting ready to leave the port. I was assuming they were checking to see if they were on the ship, and their set/sail pass card didn't record their name through the slot as they came through. Just assuming. I was told by someone once, that when you first get your set/sail card and they take a picture of you, what they really are doing is getting a picture of your eyes, so when you leave or come back on the ship, the card and your eyes need to match, saying you are the correct person leaving the ship or returning to the ship.

I understand what you are saying, I am talking about the documents prior to boarding. The list of everyone that is now onboard just before departing. Customs have a list of all passengers. I have never traveled a cruise internationaly, so I dont know if the same rules apply. But you think someone outside of the cruise ship has a full boarding list from every port.

I'm not defending this captain at all, believe me, but it's interesting reading some of the recent reviews (randomly) on this very site.

I see comments about how the captain of such and such ship didn't seem friendly, didn't make too many welcome aboard or good morning announcements, or how on the other hand he was very open to have his picture taken.

Maybe, just maybe, it's time we rethink how much time a captain should spend doing his core duties as opposed to trying to be a master of ceremony? I would rather have someone focused on getting me from point A to point B safely than helping to entertain me over the intercom are out on the promenade.

You know I thought about this from this last cruise. Not the about the captain, but from all the reports from crew members and sexual assault. I dont know the levels for the officers who are wearing white, but you think they would be more careful of there intereactions with the guests and who may be watching. There were four of us playing a game in the dining area of the lido deck. We asked if it was ok as the library was closed for a private function. ( game area ) anyway while sitting there a woman was sitting at the bar eating ice cream and talking to the bartender and was asking him what he was doing later that night. Did not hear the response, then an officer came over and chimed in the converstation. The bartender walked away and he kept conversing in conversation with her. She was dressed not very appropriatly. I may get flamed but I think these officers need to be very careful about what they are doing. Such is the case of the captain. Being seen with a woman and then who knows where it went from there.

Of course Officers, including Captains drink on board. They are probably off duty. He may have been having dinner with this woman and others. Same thing happens on P&O. They are not on duty all the time, that's why you have deputies, second officers, first officers.

You think they don't have off duty times? That's ridiculous. They also have to sleep. Could have hit the rocks at that time too.

Captains drinking should be a no no. And for female companions of Officers not being on the manifest is just so suspicious. Wonder if this woman was sleeping in the captains cabin - would not surprise me. Hope his wife is giving him hell.

In the article in the OP, what information is there to suggest that Captain Schettino was "explosive"? That's what the headline read. Was he arguing with someone, cursing, or making unreasonable demands?

He seems more implosive to me.

I agree with you. Let the Cruise Director be the one we all pose next to for the photos etc. and leave the Captain to concentrate on the sailing of the ship, and our safety.

A very good evening friends,

I certainly enjoy my cocktails in the evening to help unwind. However, I do not think the captain should drink while on the ship.

As for the staff, being that they are the ones trained in getting everyone off the ship in an emergency, I am kind of leaning towards not allowing the staff to drink either.

The staff are all “on call” so to speak. In an event such as this, I am sure it is all hands on deck.

At the very least, there should always be X amount of crew on call, sober and ready to perform evacuation procedures, tending to emergencies such as fires and the like.

To allow all crew members who are not on duty to consume alcohol certainly would not help in a horrific situation as the Concordia.

Respectfully yours,

-Tutankhamen

Could very well be.. Ship's cook describes Captain's actions.

bosco

Assuming the cook is telling the truth (why are the people laughing in the background?).......this is absolutely unbelievable.

I hope he is just the rotten apple in the barrel....and the other captains are more responsible.

I don't care if he has a drink of wine....I don't care who he has dinner with....but obviously this man was irresponsible.

Assuming the cook is telling the truth (why are the people laughing in the background?).......this is absolutely unbelievable.

I hope he is just the rotten apple in the barrel....and the other captains are more responsible.

I don't care if he has a drink of wine....I don't care who he has dinner with....but obviously this man was irresponsible.

Yes it he alone is responsible for this. It did not matter what he was doing. He has to live with the issue he created, and so does his family.

You would think so, but EEU passengers don;t need passports to cruise from country to country within the EEU, so I don't think Immigaryion at teh various posrts woudl play a part.

I understand what you are saying, I am talking about the documents prior to boarding. The list of everyone that is now onboard just before departing. Customs have a list of all passengers. I have never traveled a cruise internationaly, so I dont know if the same rules apply. But you think someone outside of the cruise ship has a full boarding list from every port.

Archived