Little Known Cruise Essentials

jennifer6800

The most practical item we bring is a foldable shoe bag, with space for 20 or so pockets

We put all our shoes, sandals etc in this over the door material shoe holder (from the dollar store)

We also throw any other item that can be kept off the floor, especially when you are four in the room.

Good Luck

Wish I had one of these on our last cruise. The bottom of the closet couldn't hold all my shoes.

Edited by librarylady19

I was just thinking the exact same thing!

We find that the more cruises we take, the less stuff we bring along.

Sorry to disagree, but the power strip is really important, especially if you are trying to charge multiple electronic devices!

Edited by librarylady19

I always take a over the door clear shoe holder. It is great for keeping the bathroom counter uncluttered. If it does not fit on the bathroom door it will fit on a closet door. I bought mine at Ross for under $5.00.

Also a 8x10 photo mailer. They are made better than the photo holders from the cruise lines.

If we can bring wine on board we wrap it in bubble wrap and reuse the wrap for breakable souvenirs.

Oh...I know I will think of more......

Have fun !!

How about some crystalized ginger candy for motion sickness or general hangover remedy?? I buy mine at the grocery store wrapped in little individual pieces. Also, for those that haven't jumped on the Kindle train, an inexpensive clip-on reading light for those night owls who bunk with early birds!! Available at Walmart/Kmart/Target for under $5.

If you will need to get laundry done on board and have delicates, take a mesh delicates bag with you and have your delicates in the bag when you give the load to your steward. I use one, anyway, to keep small things neat when I pack and to stop nylons from getting snagged, so I'm not really packing anything extra.

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I am also a minimalist, but I do believe that some of these are essentials like the power cord (we are a family of techies), the ziploc bags, and the shoe organizer. The idea I loved and would have never thought of are the magnetic clips. Very clever. I will be scouring TJ and and Dollar Store with list in hand.

Thanks again.

I would add highlighter pens to the list. They are great for marking your

selection of favourite activities etc. for the next day, on the daily event schedule you'll find in your cabin each night. 2 colours - 1 for me and 1 for DH.

I'm in the don't bring much stuff camp. We've been trying to take a less and less each cruise and have cut way back - although we still bring too much junk. In thinking of all the things we take on cruises which would have universal appeal, or would make inexpensive gifts for traveling companions:

1. Small nightlight with unpolarized plug - we use this in the M class bathrooms at night so I won't have to turn on the bright bathroom light before opening the bathroom door. You need a non-polarized plug with both plug prongs the same size to work in the bathroom's small outlet as common polarized plugs with one prong wider than the other won't work in the bathroom.

2. If your cruise is a Caribbean cruise - a water wallet to keep cash and cards dry and on your person at the beach while swimming - the very best we've found is the Kwik Tek Dry Pack Alligator Wallet which is very inexpensive: http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Dry-Alligator-Wallet/dp/B000BJ7WHE

3. We don't like bringing a big power strip as they take up too much room both in the luggage and on your stateroom counter. But we do bring a basic one-to-three outlet adapter. We also bring a plug adapter to convert a standard North American style electric plug to a European style plug. These are very small and inexpensive and they can help you make use of the European style outlet in the cabin. They will not convert the power from the 220V to 110V but if you look at your camera/cell/computer chargers you'll find most are compatible with 220V. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=plug+adapter&x=0&y=0#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_20?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=american+to+european+plug+adapter&sprefix=American+to+European%2Caps%2C147&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aamerican+to+european+plug+adapter

4. I make a calendar that lists our port of call information and excursion times and print it out on magnetic paper. This will stick to the cabin walls or bathroom door. This is a handy place to keep track of activities and I write in other things as we find them on board such as specialty restaurant reservations and cabin numbers of friends on board. http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Magnet-Sheets-Inches-03270/dp/B00006HN5Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327067234&sr=8-1

5. Travel alarm (I prefer standard analog clock face) as there is no clock in the cabin other than on the telephone.

That is pretty much all I can think of applicable to most people. Even through we're trying to cut back we still bring a lot of stuff but some has been mentioned above and other items are more specific to us or not applicable to the original question. For example we always bring an assortment of common medicine (advil, antacids, cold pills, etc) as there is not much of this available in the ship's store.

....if couples are bringing their own wine on board maybe a cork screw opener. Forgot that one year and had to pay the corkage fee to enjoy it on my balcony...

This doesn't sound correct at all. Your stateroom steward will provide a cork screw (although not a very good one) if you need it and there is no charge for this. Also there is never a corkage fee to enjoy wine in your stateroom or veranda on Celebrity. The Corkage fee on Celebrity is only charged in the dining areas and lounges on board. Also, contrary to what the name implies the corkage fee is NOT a fee for opening your wine, but rather a charge to replace lost profits to the cruise line for wine that would otherwise be sold in the dining areas or lounges. It is charged regardless of who opens the wine and regardless of whether the wine even has a cork.

I was just thinking the exact same thing!

We find that the more cruises we take, the less stuff we bring along.

Us too...the only thing I've seen here that I think is essential is the flashlight(I have one that is 2 inches long...perfect for this use) and small travel clock(doesn't have to be an alarm clock) but that's just because I like to know what time it is when I wake up in the middle of the night, it's not "essential".

Have never had a need for a power strip. We carry phones, cameras, Ipad, even had a portable DVD player last time and we never had a problem with batteries running down because of lack of outlets. Maybe if there were 4 of us in the room or something but with just the two of us that would be unnecessary baggage.

I take several plastic clothes pins, the kind that come with hooks attached. Great for hanging wet suits in the shower, or over door knobs, or in the closet for scarves or belts. Here's the link for a photo. Have fun!

http://www.amazon.com/Clothes-Hooked-18-Pack-Hanger-Clothespins/dp/B0010XGKFU

A little bit of twine and safety pins

to hang clothes, close draperies, secure small flashlight, quick repairs, hanging wet shoes, etc.

An expandable file folder for misc.

A small funnel for refilling water bottles.

Edited by USVI-4-me
addition

Us too...the only thing I've seen here that I think is essential is the flashlight(I have one that is 2 inches long...perfect for this use) and small travel clock(doesn't have to be an alarm clock) but that's just because I like to know what time it is when I wake up in the middle of the night, it's not "essential".

Have never had a need for a power strip. We carry phones, cameras, Ipad, even had a portable DVD player last time and we never had a problem with batteries running down because of lack of outlets. Maybe if there were 4 of us in the room or something but with just the two of us that would be unnecessary baggage.

If you download the free Alarm Clock app for your iPad, you can leave the alarm clock at home.

If you download the free Alarm Clock app for your iPad, you can leave the alarm clock at home.

Thanks, but I DON'T want an alarm clock, I just want a clock that I can see in the middle of the night. I have one that is about 1 inch by 1 inch...works wonderfully...the IPAD would barely even fit on that tiny nightstand!!:eek::D

Edited by Gracie115

The most practical item we bring is a foldable shoe bag, with space for 20 or so pockets

We put all our shoes, sandals etc in this over the door material shoe holder (from the dollar store)

We also throw any other item that can be kept off the floor, especially when you are four in the room.

Good Luck

We also bring the shoebag but fill it with all the little things that typically clutter the cabin ie sunglasses, nailclippers, scissors, sun tan lotion etc.

Absolute Essential for us : A picture of our two dogs....that gets duct taped to the wall where it is always visible !! So, if any of the folks in your group are leaving their beloved pets at home...take along a picture...it'll make their cabin much brighter !!

Edited by rwr235

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I am also a minimalist, but I do believe that some of these are essentials like the power cord (we are a family of techies), the ziploc bags, and the shoe organizer. The idea I loved and would have never thought of are the magnetic clips. Very clever. I will be scouring TJ and and Dollar Store with list in hand.

Thanks again.

I've become a major fan of the magnetic clips since I discovered the walls are metal. It's great to be able to hang the itinerary and the list of events you are invited to on the wall where they can be instantly located as opposed to having to sort through a pile of paper. You will get a ton of paperwork on the ship. Most goes into the trash, but the important stuff gets clipped to the wall.

I also second the need for some sort of power strip. I've got a new one that folds up very small. I also take it on land-based trips.

Absolute Essential for us : A picture of our two dogs....

Well, we usually bring along a picture of our Grandchildren as well. I wasn't going to suggest that as I didn't think anyone else would be interested in one. But if you would then let me know and I'll email you one - they're really cute!!

Have purchased boxes like that at Dollar Tree--extremely inexpensive and light; fold flat. They have smaller over-door shoe bags, too. Saw it suggested elsewhere and checked them out. Looking forward to using on May Alaska cruise.

I also love the magnetic clip suggestion!

:)