Little Known Cruise Essentials

jennifer6800

TO CRUISIN NANA,

One checked bag and one carry on... I thought that was the "norm" these days ??

The folks who are incredible are those who can travel for a week or longer and only tote along their small carry ons... they breeze thru everywhere they go as they NEVER have to wait for baggage. Lol, a bit too minamilist for me though.

Mr Sloop and I are between us 3 checked bags and two carry ons (so one suitcase over) BUT then again, we brought along all our best formal wear (tuxedo and 2 long gowns plus accessories including dress shoes for each of us).

Cheers!

I am fortunate enough to have first/business class flights which allow 3 bags and a carry on. I will limit myself to 2 large checked and 1 HEAVY carry on, but I will have all my "stuff" and be sooooo happy!!!! This is the short version of a very long story: luggage never showed up on a cruise one time. I had the cleanest, neatest cabin on the ship and managed just fine with shopping in ship's stores and Kmart at the first port! I surely was glad I had my HEAVY carry on with all my hair stuff and make up! :D

Although you can pack a steamer trunk- which we started with years back- we've learned to carry some must have's.

Clorox To-go 9 wipe pack - walmart sells 'em for 1.50 or so. We wipe down the tv remote, wall switches, Handles on doors and drawers.

Battery powered tea lights - bought from dollar store and work incredibly well for bathroom lights. Middle of night, cabin dark, nothing worse than turning main lights on for RR break.

Room slippers - you can walk around your cabin w/o 'em but sometimes the cabin carpets are cleaned and remain wet, or if you have a balcony and walk outside- wet socks are the result.

Hand sanitizer- pocket size - handy in so many ways- in case your table in the buffet wasn't wiped well, we just grab a napkin and pour a small amount, wipe and we know it's clean enough for placing silverware on it. We always use hand sanitizers on the ship, at entries to MDR/buffet, but in case you touch a handrail, or anything- you've got your supply handy.

OTC sinus/decongestant - on rare occasions, I've caught a cold or sinus problem onboard. Yes, the ship store has OTC, but limited. Also, the Medical center onboard can give you meds but I've learned that certain pills work best and they are easy to carry.

All this is personal preference really- whatever has you feeling comfortable is what matters.

One checked bag and 1 carry on....now I really envy you!!!! :D Have a wonderful first cruise. I have a feeling it won't be your last!

Oh, don't mistunderstand....it is my first cruise to the Med......:D

it will be my 34th or 35th cruise overall;) I would have to count back

but it is 30something LOL

Edited by Lois R

I brought a fan on Celebrity Equinox in October. I got to security. They scanned my carryon. They saw the fan. One asked the other "a fan, is it allowed" and the other said "yes" and they let me through.

If you're really worried - you can call and ask that a fan be placed in your cabin. If they have one, they'll put it. I had HAL do that for me 2 years ago. I prefer knowing i have one though with me as I CANNOT sleep in silence and can't sleep with the TV on really (too much light too active).

I also checked celebrity's site recently and it does NOT say you cannot bring a fan so I'd print that page out if you're nervous about bringing one.

You are my kind of woman!! I also take my fan in my Carry-on along with the other "must haves" so unless I hear different between now and October, I'm going to try it. The fan and the curling iron are the first things I pack.

Congrats to Sloop-JohnB for having the best, more comprehensive listing on all of the many, many options to consider for taking on a cruise, why and how, etc. Great job!!!

These "little things" can make a big difference for having a better experience while on your cruise.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 59.670 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Congrats to Sloop-JohnB for having the best, more comprehensive listing on all of the many, many options to consider for taking on a cruise, why and how, etc. Great job!!!

These "little things" can make a big difference for having a better experience while on your cruise.

TO TLC OHIO,

Thanks for your kind words...

Lol, I am now a wealth of detailed ( useless / useful) info... it all depends on one's point of view I suppose.

There will be more to come.

Thinking I need to find a more permanent way to retain all this stuff as a help to future Celebrity Cruisers (I've been considering a personal Travel Blog for a while any how).

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Thinking I need to find a more permanent way to retain all this stuff as a help to future Celebrity Cruisers (I've been considering a personal Travel Blog for a while any how).

I think I would be interested in following a blog you created!

We usually bring lanyards to hold our cruiise pass cards. very handy. also an over door shoe holder works great as an organizer for small things/ keeps them off the floor. Duct tape for sure. Hand sanitizer. $2 bills if you can get them are conversation pieces and great for tipping. Small bottle febreze or WOW drops... :)

Will the magnetic sheets print on a laser? I like the ziploc bags. I'm always hurting something during embarkation, and I make an ice pack. Also, an apple slicer (been through two cruises so far) for in room snacks. We take our travel clothesline. On Jewel of the Seas, we couldn't get the in-room one to reach. A sewing kit is a must. Also a good first aid kit. These last two don't get much use, but when you need them, you need them bad!

Edited by knittinggirl

In regards to using the Alligator clips for drying out on your balcony, it was well publicized that leaving any items on the balcony were a fire risk. Because anyone who might toss a cigarette overboard could cause the items on the balcony to catch fire. This happened a number of years ago on the Star Princess and a good portion of the ship caught fire and had to be brought to dry dock and rebuilt. I believe it was later found that the cause of the fire was from smoking material carelessly discarded overboard by another passenger up above and the wind carried the smoking material back onto someones balcony and caught their personal effects left on their balcony on fire.

During our recent muster drill they reminded everyone not to leave anything on their balconies when they are away. They stated that fires are a major concern at sea and leaving any thing that might be ignited would be a hazard.

So PLEASE do not leave any ignitable material out on your unattended balcony.

Thats too funny....my bathing suit is gonna catch fire and burn the ship down....ROFL

TO TLC OHIO, Thanks for your kind words... Lol, I am now a wealth of detailed ( useless / useful) info... it all depends on one's point of view I suppose. There will be more to come. Thinking I need to find a more permanent way to retain all this stuff as a help to future Celebrity Cruisers (I've been considering a personal Travel Blog for a while any how). Cheers!

Great idea! BUT, how will people find out about your blog? That's one of the great things about these CC boards. Lots of people tune in, many good questions, helpful comments (in most cases), many great people, etc. Keep up the great work and sharing.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 60,340 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

In regards to using the Alligator clips for drying out on your balcony, it was well publicized that leaving any items on the balcony were a fire risk. Because anyone who might toss a cigarette overboard could cause the items on the balcony to catch fire. This happened a number of years ago on the Star Princess and a good portion of the ship caught fire and had to be brought to dry dock and rebuilt. I believe it was later found that the cause of the fire was from smoking material carelessly discarded overboard by another passenger up above and the wind carried the smoking material back onto someones balcony and caught their personal effects left on their balcony on fire.

During our recent muster drill they reminded everyone not to leave anything on their balconies when they are away. They stated that fires are a major concern at sea and leaving any thing that might be ignited would be a hazard.

Thats too funny....my bathing suit is gonna catch fire and burn the ship down....ROFL

Smoking is not permitted on balconies on Celebrity, so this shouldn't be an issue.

I found these on-line or in one of the catalogs that come around Christmas. I have 3 sizes of these vases. You shape them with hot/warm water. They are about as thick as a few sheets of paper. I take these to ports where I know I can buy flowers before I board the ship. In Sept, I used one in Seattle for flowers that I bought at the market.

I'd like to add to the lists our collapsible laundry basket. It is mesh so clothes don't smell and folds into a disc the size of a small frisbee and lays flat in the suitcase. All you need to do to open it is release the elastic strap and it will pop open and stay upright. It fits perfectly in the space between the nightstand and the closet on S-class ships and is out of the way.

We also bring a small can of Febreze and I spray the drapes, throw pillows and other fabric surfaces.

We also bring a small can of Febreze and I spray the drapes, throw pillows and other fabric surfaces.

Please don't do that! Think of the next people to use the cabin who may be allergic to various chemical smells - and febreze is certainly something that triggers my allergies. You could screw up their vacation.

Celebrity does not permit smoking on balconies.

Not to be a stickler, but I THINK the fire was started because the curtains were blowing out an open balcony door and that's what caught fire. At least that's what I remember after reading the report. And no, Celebrity does not allow smoking on balconies, BUT that doesn't stop some people.

Celebrity does not permit smoking on balconies.

Unfortunately rules against smoking on balconies and against throwing cigarette butts over the railing will not prevent stupid people from doing so. People who are stupid, have no common sense and no consideration for others continue to do both.

Sad but true.

I'd like to add to the lists our collapsible laundry basket. It is mesh so clothes don't smell and folds into a disc the size of a small frisbee and lays flat in the suitcase. All you need to do to open it is release the elastic strap and it will pop open and stay upright. It fits perfectly in the space between the nightstand and the closet on S-class ships and is out of the way.

What great ideas! I'm definitely bringing that laundry basket on my next cruise. Right now I just repack anything I wear each day. I like your idea much better! As for the Febreeze..I hear what the other poster says about allergies but I can't imagine after a week long cruise it would actually present a problem (and if someone is that sensitive then I can't conceive of a scenario where the cleaning products aren't already causing that issue!!). I like that idea too just not sure that I've ever noticed a need for it. The rooms smell fine to me. :)

Please don't do that! Think of the next people to use the cabin who may be allergic to various chemical smells - and febreze is certainly something that triggers my allergies. You could screw up their vacation.

Never thought of that as I never heard anyone else say they were allergic. I don't do it all the time. Just when I find it necessary. After 7-14 days in a cabin, it should not be there for the next cruiser, especially if the cabin has been properly cleaned. Point taken.

I second it....we always put request not to spray anything in our cabin prior to embarkation and during the cruise. Unfortunately, if sprayed on fabric (especially pillows) it will stay on it for a long time. It is not an essential for most, but for myself and our kids we have to bring our own pillows :eek:, otherwise we will be stuffy and not happy all cruise :eek: One time we did not bring DD's pillow - as the result, she was suffering from severe congestions the very next morning...:(

What great ideas! I'm definitely bringing that laundry basket on my next cruise. Right now I just repack anything I wear each day. I like your idea much better! As for the Febreeze..I hear what the other poster says about allergies but I can't imagine after a week long cruise it would actually present a problem (and if someone is that sensitive then I can't conceive of a scenario where the cleaning products aren't already causing that issue!!). I like that idea too just not sure that I've ever noticed a need for it. The rooms smell fine to me. :)

I've smelled smoke from adjacent balconies before. I suspect with smokers (which I'm not), if they get into the habit of tossing cigarettes aside on land, they may do it at sea without thinking about it. Still, it's a habit to break. We've had a lot of fires in West Texas due to the drought. Last summer, a wildfire even jumped the loop. Not good when the evacuations start.

Edited by knittinggirl

As for the Febreeze..I hear what the other poster says about allergies but I can't imagine after a week long cruise it would actually present a problem (and if someone is that sensitive then I can't conceive of a scenario where the cleaning products aren't already causing that issue!!). :)

Of course you must be right...in fact why not spray the cabin with perfume because you don't think it will effect others.

When I use certain shampoos, I have allergic reaction due to the scent, when my wife uses a floral spray, I have to leave the room. I have asked cabin attendants not to use some sprays or cleaners, although most don't bother me. I would prefer that you not spray with Fabreze or your favorite perfume because it might just effect me, even though you can't imagine it.

Thanks for your consideration of other passengers....