Rough Seas

Aussie71

It is the 'luck of the draw' whether you get rough seas or not. Our cruise just completed on Pacific Pearl was the roughest we have done over our 29 years of cruising. Surprisingly, I didn't hear people complaining and whinging. They just concentrated on having a good time, even if it was indoors and sometimes holding onto the rails.:)

Take some Avomine with you. My last box cost $9.36 for 30 tablets from Chemist Warehouse. They are an antihistimine and they didn't make us even the tiniest bit sleepy.

Thank you Sandy, yes we enjoyed our P&O expereince greatly.

Really different to Princess but just as enjoyable, if not in more ways than Princess.

Pearly is a lovely little ship with a fantastic friendly family atmosphere.

We enjoyed Zoltina-J even after reading mixed reviews about her.

Captain Lorenzo was fantastic under terrible conditions. Keeping everyone informed and explaining the situation as we went along in the rough seas and late into port.

We will definately sail with P&O again. It's only a shame that their main cruises are to the Islands with a sprinkling of NZ & now PNG.

But we will take the cruises to NZ (again) with P&O.

What do people think is different between P&O and Princess?

It is the 'luck of the draw' whether you get rough seas or not. Our cruise just completed on Pacific Pearl was the roughest we have done over our 29 years of cruising. Surprisingly, I didn't hear people complaining and whinging. They just concentrated on having a good time, even if it was indoors and sometimes holding onto the rails.:)

Take some Avomine with you. My last box cost $9.36 for 30 tablets from Chemist Warehouse. They are an antihistimine and they didn't make us even the tiniest bit sleepy.

And "luck of the draw" is the only way to look at it....my first cruise was 3 days of unrelenting 50knt winds and 5 mtr seas onboard the good old not so stable Fair Princess.....and like your cruisers i adapted and made the most out of a not so pleasant experience seasickness and all, no avomine in those days, lol, i have now done over 15 cruises and been very very lucky not to have a repeat but who knows it may happen again it may not..... Avomine are my saviours:D:D:D and taken at night they don't mess with my days.....;)

And "luck of the draw" is the only way to look at it....my first cruise was 3 days of unrelenting 50knt winds and 5 mtr seas onboard the good old not so stable Fair Princess.....and like your cruisers i adapted and made the most out of a not so pleasant experience seasickness and all, no avomine in those days, lol, i have now done over 15 cruises and been very very lucky not to have a repeat but who knows it may happen again it may not..... Avomine are my saviours:D:D:D and taken at night they don't mess with my days.....;)

Wellllllllllll Shiona, now you mentioned it :D.............. I could tell a tale or two about my trip across the Atlantic in a ship of just 15,465 tons, but I'll 'desist and resist' the temptaion. ;) It was an adventure and I'm very lucky that I don't suffer from motion sickness.

Wellllllllllll Shiona, now you mentioned it .............. I could tell a tale or two about my trip across the Atlantic in a ship of just 15,465 tons, but I'll 'desist and resist' the temptaion. It was an adventure and I'm very lucky that I don't suffer from motion sickness.

:D:D:D Sandi you and my John will have to swap tales.......here's a little film i put together of one of his trips, quite a calm day, over the pond on the itty bitty 18,000 tonne Ellinis.....:eek::eek::eek:

http://travel.webshots.com/video/3084537190102418569UIznwH

:D:D: Sandi you and my John will have to swap tales.......here's a little film i put together of one of his trips, quite a calm day, over the pond on the itty bitty 18,000 tonne Ellinis.....:eek::eek::eek:

http://travel.webshots.com/video/3084537190102418569UIznwH

Thanks Shiona, that is great and brings back memories. ;) The open decks were soooo close to the ocean and it didn't take much of a swell for the waves to wash over the decks. I'd forgotten the Ellinis, too. Wasn't that a Greek ship?

Family / friends keep telling me that there have been rather large ocean swells in the past week or so, reported in the media. They claim that the Pacific Dawn and Jewel were caught up in rough seas whilst cruising.

Is this true?

We have just got home from the Pacific Pearl. We had 12 metre swells. Very rough. Plates fell off tables in the dinning room and glasses smashed. We were late getting in by almost 10 hours as we had to change course and slow down. Still had a great time though.

Yeah.. the last Pearl trip was a doozy!

What was surprising was the rough seas went on for 3 days. I've been in worse, (cyclone in S China Sea,) but this 8 - 12 metre went on and on. It was often still sunny and warm though, just rough, quite beautiful.

I nearly had a light fitting from the ceiling hit me on the head up in the dome.

I thought the captain was brilliant, I would imagine very re-assuring for people not experienced in those conditions.

I heard from friends that the Dawn, got hammered too.

you must have been in primery school? and what year in the 70s? and please no research.

It sounds like you are implying that Badgerbill didn't do the trip on the Ellinis she said she did. I don't think she makes up stories. She doesn't need to.

I have met Shiona (lovely lady) and her husband, and she was not in primary school in the 1970s unless she repeated many years of schooling. By the way, I am not trying to give away a lady's age.:D

It sounds like you are implying that Badgerbill didn't do the trip on the Ellinis she said she did. I don't think she makes up stories. She doesn't need to.

I have met Shiona (lovely lady) and her husband, and she was not in primary school in the 1970s unless she repeated many years of schooling. By the way, I am not trying to give away a lady's age.:D

Haha, Aus T. Very diplomatic.:) Shiona said it was her husband's voyage, not hers. Whatever, it is not for others to question her or anybody else about such things - why I've even had someone take all the trouble to check and research on the ships I've been on and start questioning me about it. Unbelievable! On the other I had a very nice, helpful poster who who took the trouble to send me deck plans and brochures about one of these ships.

I've forgotten so much but I do remember the various ship's names and lines such as Shaw Savill, Sitmar, etc. - I was a cruise addict back then too. :)

no research.

well that means i can't ask John then:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

thanks AusT and S for your posts:)... the poser whoops typo poster is back to it's oddself, whoops nother typo, oldself again i see ......

no not at all was just asking when they cruised on her (Ellinis) as she was a very nice ship pitty she was Scrapped in Taiwan in 1987 and she started out as SS Lurline and became Ellinis, September 1963.

Archived