Rough Seas

Aussie71

Does anyone have an idea what the likelihood of encountering rough seas (Pacific Dawn from BNE) on the way to the South Pacific in June?

I am presuming that it should be okay, as it's outside of of cyclone season. Am I just being optimistic? Hubby showed me some video footage of cruise ships experiencing rough seas on You Tube, which were daunting to say the least.

Its very unlikely for you to hit large seas. As well as being very rare to have the ship in huge seas. Mostly you will get 3 metre seas and at most 5 metres. Plus for its size the Pacific Dawn handles the wave fairly good. The biggest seas I have hit with the Dawn is 5 metres. I have spent a total of 30 nights on here. I have only had bigger then that once and that was on the Pacific Pearl on the crossing from Auckland to Sydney last year we hit 9 metres and it wasn't that bad.

Does anyone have an idea what the likelihood of encountering rough seas (Pacific Dawn from BNE) on the way to the South Pacific in June?

I am presuming that it should be okay, as it's outside of of cyclone season. Am I just being optimistic? Hubby showed me some video footage of cruise ships experiencing rough seas on You Tube, which were daunting to say the least.

Absolutely luck of the draw. Probably the roughest part of your cruise will be the first two and last two days. Once you get around the islands the seas are more sheltered. :) With luck, you will have perfect weather. In the last day or so before you go you can check on the internet for expected wave heights, but this is only an indication.

If you are unsure if you are a good sailor, I suggest you buy some Avomine ($9.95 for 30 tablets at Chemist Warehouse) and take one the one or two nights before you leave home, then the first two nights on the ship. There could be a slight sedative effect, but they are an antihistimine that tricks the balance mechanism in the brain. According to the medical people on P&O Avomine is the most effective medication to combat seasickness. If that doesn't work, passengers can get an injection from the medical centre, but this costs around $100 and will make you sleep. Better to stop it before it starts.

After saying all the above, I am going to add - the best advice is not to focus on it. Just look forward to having a great time.:)

We've travelled to the islands in June, and it wasn't rough, but we had a fair bit of rain, and cool winds on the ship. I found it better than being too hot. Next cruise was fine, so as Aus T says, it's luck of the draw. :) At least it's not cyclone time! :D

Also a tip that was given to everyone onboard the Pacific Pearl for the worried passengers. Make sure you have a full stomach, as an empty stomach and the seas is not a good combination.

If you are a 'little queezy' have some ginger ale, and maybe a green apple with the skin on and some dry biscuits. That is what the staff recommend.

here is a link to last yrs weather south pacific

, just to give you an idea

http://www.bom.gov.au/ntc/IDO60101/IDO60101.201106.pdf

I have only had bigger then that once and that was on the Pacific Pearl on the crossing from Auckland to Sydney last year we hit 9 metres and it wasn't that bad.

I was on the Pacific Pearl at the same time as you and we did NOT have 9 metre seas, it was no more then 5 metre!.

I was on the Pacific Pearl at the same time as you and we did NOT have 9 metre seas, it was no more then 5 metre!.

This was actually during the night. I got told that by the chief engineer onboard. So weather its true or not is up to him but all I know is one night (the night in question) the seas were much larger then 5 metres. Or you should try telling that to my bunk bed.

Can vouch for the Avomine (mentioned above), my wife was extremely worried about sea sickness (suffers from it in the bath!!) - it was the reason we hadn't cruised before. I eventually talked her in to giving it a go for the Xmas cruise just gone.

She had the Avomine and had no problems at all, coming back from the islands on the second to last day was the roughest for us. Top deck closed, bouncing down the corridor and still she was OK.

Can vouch for the Avomine (mentioned above), my wife was extremely worried about sea sickness (suffers from it in the bath!!) - it was the reason we hadn't cruised before. I eventually talked her in to giving it a go for the Xmas cruise just gone.

She had the Avomine and had no problems at all, coming back from the islands on the second to last day was the roughest for us. Top deck closed, bouncing down the corridor and still she was OK.

That's great! Now you can become as addicted as the rest of us. :D It's the best holiday.

This was actually during the night. I got told that by the chief engineer onboard. So weather its true or not is up to him but all I know is one night (the night in question) the seas were much larger then 5 metres. Or you should try telling that to my bunk bed.

This is a really silly question, but...

Would there be enough room to put the top bunk mattresses on the floor in the event of really rough seas?

Would there be enough room to put the top bunk mattresses on the floor in the event of really rough seas?

yes there is enough room to do that

yea there would be enough room but you wouldn't need to unless it gets really rough. Most of the rooms have bunk beds that go up and down (for storage). This feature acts a bit like an spring as the ship bounces around. So even though the bed may move up and down you remain safely in it. Not once did I feel unsafe. Plus they have a railing to stop you falling out.

At least its not like going round Cape Horn in a small boat.

The bunks there have seat belts:eek:

A mate of mine went to Antarctica from South America. They were velcroed into the beds!:eek:

One passenger was injured when the bolts holding the bed to the floor of the cabin broke! My friend was glad he went to Antarctica, but does not plan on doing it again.

My wife and I we on the Pacific Princess in 5m+ seas. it was ok, except for the spray on the jogging track. As a (fortunate) non sufferer from seasickness, it was great! Empty restaurants, easy to get good seats in the shows. Longest queue at the doctor's.

We did 3 B2B's on the Pearl - 24th April - 15th May 2011 (or it may have been the 12th May ??) and we had up to 9 m seas on the first cruise. It wasn't much fun.

And we've been on the Diamond Princess and struck 9 metre seas out of Fjordland in April 2006. The Captain changed course, slowed the ship down and we by-passed HObart and had two nights in Melbourne ... and some time was spent by divers looking under the ship and at least one really heavy door at the bow of the ship had to be repaired / replaced. Again not much fun. I was as sick as a dog, half the crew were sick and the dining room was like a ghost town according to my other half who has no problem with rough seas.

• 4 months later...

Family / friends keep telling me that there have been rather large ocean swells in the past week or so, reported in the media. They claim that the Pacific Dawn and Jewel were caught up in rough seas whilst cruising.

Is this true?

Family / friends keep telling me that there have been rather large ocean swells in the past week or so, reported in the media. They claim that the Pacific Dawn and Jewel were caught up in rough seas whilst cruising.

Is this true?

There have been rough seas - and some discussion and reports on a different thread. Most important the crew and also the passengers seem to have dealt excellently with the situation - skill on the part of the crew and aplomb and good humour from the passengers. - plus Avomine!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=34162787#post34162787

The weather all over this region has been odd and unseasonable and unpredicable. Don't worry it has already improved and the forecast is favourable.

Colleen

Is this true?

Sure is Aussie. It is rather unusual for this time of year, though. On the other side of Aus, Sun Princess had to miss Geraldton due to very bad weather. As Colleen says it has passed now.

I have friends who got off the Pearl yesterday - 12 hours late because of rough seas. I'm hoping they calm down by the time we go on the Jewel next month.

From another Avomine Addict.

Cheers

Di

just got off Pearly yesterday 8hrs late actually docked at 3pm

the new Captain Lorenzo was fantastic he kept everyone informed and told us how he was handling the situation. many many many people were sick to various degrees! We were fine but our grandie suffered for about 24 hrs before she finally was convinced to take her tablets.lol!

We had a wonderful time even in the rough seas and being late

B&B&C

BTW to all the Zoltina-J fans or not she moved to the Pacific Dawn this cruise!

Welcome home B&B&C. Glad to see you enjoyed your cruise and are still "Happy Aussies". :D ;) :)

(I think Lorenzo Paoletti was on the Pacific Dawn when she first came to Australia. Everyone seems to think he is a great captain.)

Archived