Medic's Qualifications - M.D.s; P.A.s ???

no11important

Going on the Zuiderdam - soon - with my mom who is somewhat fragile <on o2 27/7; not sick; but taking pre-cautions just in case she picks up the flu/virus/pneumonia> and want to know - are the medics aboard the Zuiderdam M.D.s, P.A.s, nurse? And how many are assigned to the ship? Is this based on passenger qty and what are the determinants (1 M.D. per 2500 passengers; 3 M.D.s per 2500 passengers) ???

There will be an MD who is licensed in either Canada or U.S. They are normally Emergency Medicine (ER) Specialty. There are a varying number of RN's and depends upon number of guests/size of ship. I think there are a minimum of three RN's for guests on Vista Class ships.

There is also a medical staff for crew.

When my DW tried to sever the upper portion of the middle finger of her right hand, the Oosterdam doctor that applied her stitches was a Trauma Surgeon from South Africa. The other doctor was indeed an ER doctor. There were at least two RNs aboard.

The stitches, pain meds, and daily followups were FREE because that happened on board. Someone requesting an ACE bandage was charged $86.

Note that generic Dramamine is FREE.

Without sounding redundant, all of the HAL cruises we have been on have been staffed with MDs and RNs. We always meet them the night they have the Neptune suite party as many of the officers visit those invited.

Last year on an excursion I had the occasion to attempt to fly when i wasnt paying attention and feel down a hill. I lacerated my hand somewhat ugly. So, unfortunately, I got to visit with them during their office hours. The MD looked at it and said that the nurse would be able to dress it properly. Having been in the army, I recognized that this team had worked out who did what to whom. The RN did an excellent job and gave me meds, renewal bandages etc ... she also said to stop by periodically and let her or the doc look at it. They were very nice, professional, and services/supplies were, as a previously poster indicated, performed and provided at no charge since I was on a ship excursion.

That is the light side of the medical staff. We have been on many, many trips where serious, emergency actions had to be employed, especially for some of the elderly when there was heart failure, strokes, and other more life-threatening situations. We have watched as they would carry off the ship some of these folks ... all the while, the medical staff is ever-present and professionally handling the situation.

Harry

In Katakalon, Greece, a passenger with a heart problem needed to be evacuated and an old ambulance appeared at the pier. It didn't have modern med. equipment so the ship sent an extra heart monitor plus a nurse with the passenger. A few days later, the passenger was fine enough to go back to the U.S. Great service, I think.

We also had reason to make a professional visit to the NA's sick bay this December. Both the doctor and nurse were ER professionals, one from the West Coast, the other from Eastern Canada.

We were impressed at how well equipped the facility is.

And by the way, the cost was no more than on land, which was a pleasant surprise.

Over the years I've met a number of the contracted doctors on HAL. Luckily it's not because either of us has become ill and needed their services, more because I'm listed as "Dr" because I'm a licensed clinical psychologist and I'm sometimes contacted out of professional courtesy and potential consultation in case of an emergency. Of course they quickly lose interest when then find out I'm the "wrong" kind of doctor. The last doctor I met on the Veendam a couple of years ago was a fully board certified fellow of emergency medicine and was the dean of emergency medicine at a medical school in the US. At least on paper he certainly was well qualified.

When my DW tried to sever the upper portion of the middle finger of her right hand, the Oosterdam doctor that applied her stitches was a Trauma Surgeon from South Africa. The other doctor was indeed an ER doctor. There were at least two RNs aboard.

The stitches, pain meds, and daily followups were FREE because that happened on board. Someone requesting an ACE bandage was charged $86.

Meclizine.....

Left hand my darling, Left Hand!!:D

Joanie

Meclizine.....

Sail, as my husband stated they gave US DRAMAMINE!! I still have the packet that stated Dramamine, no where does it state Meclizine.:rolleyes:

Meclazine would have been preferable for my husband as the Dramamine made him extremely drowsy. The difference in the 2 medications is basically dependant upon the version of Dramamine given. Original Dramine, which he received causes drowsiness, newer, Less Drosy Dramine does not obviously.

Here once again it is almost down to semantics, potato/potatoe, tomato/tomatoe, get my drift.....

There is a Dr who answers what the difference between the various sea sickness/antihistamines here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/58927-whats-differance-between-meclizine-dramamine.html

Joanie

Sail, as my husband stated they gave US DRAMAMINE!! I still have the packet that stated Dramamine, no where does it state Meclizine.:rolleyes:

Meclazine would have been preferable for my husband as the Dramamine made him extremely drowsy. The difference in the 2 medications is basically dependant upon the version of Dramamine given. Original Dramine, which he received causes drowsiness, newer, Less Drosy Dramine does not obviously.

Here once again it is almost down to semantics, potato/potatoe, tomato/tomatoe, get my drift.....

There is a Dr who answers what the difference between the various sea sickness/antihistamines here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/diving-medicine/58927-whats-differance-between-meclizine-dramamine.html

Joanie

<snip>

He sAid Generic.

Dramamine is brand name.

He sAid Generic.

Dramamine is brand name.

Last word on the matter is that you attempted to correct the name of the medication my husband, Crew News, informed us all of the medication he had received from the Medical Staff in the infirmary. He stated Dramamine, which was the name on the packet. YO then informed my husband that it was not in fact Dramamine, but in fact Meclizine. You were not there and therefore do not know what we received.

Meclazine is also a brand name, and he did not receive that medication from the Medical Staff aboard our ship.

Point is Sail, there are many different names/brands. Many of which have different effects. Meclizine is a milder form of antihistamine and Dramamine, generally a bit stronger.

BUT, to get back to the OP's Original Question.... The Medical Staff consists of 2 Emergency Trauma Drs (one for the passengers and one for the Crew, though either can treat passengers and/or crew) who must have a t least 7 years in the Emergency Medical Field. Their medical training must be from and in North America. Nurses, I believe must have a similar background but am not 100% sure of that.

Joanie

Wow, all of this fuss over sea-sickness pills. All that was said was that generic Dramamine was free. No more, no less. I am sure we all got the point and didn't need to watch a video from an MD to clarify it.

Sounds like a "chill pill" may be needed instead.

wwb

Archived