What's Wrong With This Picture?

SabreSailor

Before Internet and Cruise Critic, most of us enjoyed the sheer pleasure of cruising. You went with the flow of things. Until someone walks into the MDR in their underwear with or without a hat, enjoy the cruise. I still will. :)

This is a hilarious and very entertaining thread, although a little pathetic. However, a couple of the recent posters have really hit the nail on the head for me. No, I see nothing wrong with the picture, either. I don't like baseball hats at dinner (and have never noticed them on Oceania) but anywhere else, who cares? As my husband says, some people are follicle-challenged, and like their hats.

As to sleeping in the library, I could also care less, as long as no snoring is involved! By the way, after looking at the picture again, it's my opinion that the man is not necessarily snoring. He could be just propping his head up while reading or talking to someone else (although the library is usually pretty quiet), or possibly even talking on a cell phone if they work inside the ship (don't know).

In any case, this one photo is certainly getting more analysis than I ever did on my previous job as any analyst!

First of all, anyone that easily appalled actually belongs on Cunard; they all seem to be appalled by some sort of dress most of the time.

I notice that both of the men in the foregound of that photo are wearing polo or golf shirts. It was not too long ago, before Prestige Cruise Holdings took over Regent, that Regent did not permit golf shirts at dinner, and many guests were appalled that anyone would wear a golf shirt at any time. Fortunately, that dress code was changed to be similar to Oceania and the golf shirt rule disappeared. There are still a few of the Regent "Old Guard" who are easily appalled, but they are

By the way, the claim that Oceania promotes "casual elegance" is not quite accurate -- that's Regent (which calls their dress code "Elegant Casual". Oceania is "Cpountry Club Casual", and at least here in F;lorida, lots of guys wear baseball hats at the country club. They also wear shorts to dinner quite often...

But, the bottom line is that I'm with Digby -- there's nothing wrong with the picture. The dress code applies at dinner except at the Terrace Buffet, and the picture was quite obviously taken during the day. We don't know why the gentleman in the backgrond is wearing the hat, and it's not our place to pass judgement on him unless and until we know that answer. Perhaps the simplest answer is that the Powers That Be left him in the picture in order to scare off the snobs...:rolleyes:

I don't think snobbery is an issue at least for me. Wearing a hat of any sort indoors (and I know nothing about religious garb) is simply a sign of disrespect. Having said that, I would never be able to attend church in jeans or shorts. It's just a matter of how one was raised and at my age, I am not flexible in changing many of my old habits.

What is wrong with truth in advertising, I can honestly say I myself have dozed off while in the library and wearing my hat. One of my more memorable snoozes if truth be told I look back on it fondly. The library is one of my favorite spots on ship to read and relax. If there is no dress code else were on the ship why have one in the library of all places.

I don't think snobbery is an issue at least for me. Wearing a hat of any sort indoors (and I know nothing about religious garb) is simply a sign of disrespect. Having said that, I would never be able to attend church in jeans or shorts. It's just a matter of how one was raised and at my age, I am not flexible in changing many of my old habits.

Wow. Your use of the phrase "religious garb" is much more offensive than what is depicted in that picture. You can be flexible to changes in technology, such as the internet and write in threads, but you cannot be flexible to beliefs or changes in social behavior??? :rolleyes:

Wow. Your use of the phrase "religious garb" is much more offensive than what is depicted in that picture. You can be flexible to changes in technology, such as the internet and write in threads, but you cannot be flexible to beliefs or changes in social behavior??? :rolleyes:

If I offended anyone with "religious garb" that was definitely not my intention. I apologize. As far as changes in social behavior, if you're referring to baseball caps, if this is the way it is now, so be it. However, I don't have to like it or think it's o.k. And I think I have an opinion just as anyone else has.

... I would never be able to attend church in jeans or shorts. It's just a matter of how one was raised...

I totally agree, Esther, I could never wear shorts to church, either, and I could never knowlingly wear a hat indoors.

But, my son and daughter-in-law are much more church-oriented than I am, and he wears shorts and tee-shirts to church all the time -- and this in one of Palm Beach County's oldest and most hide-bound churches. He also seldom goes wthout his Red Sox hat, and I imagine he's forgotten to take it off from time to time -- even in church. Times change. The old fogeys in his church wear suits and white shirts, the aging hippies like me wear trousers and sports coats but no tie, the 40-somethings like him wear jeans and sometimes shorts, and the even younger set shows up in church in tank tops - both genders.

The key is, that while I could not meet curent standards -- and would consider that I was lowering myself if I did -- I don't have the right to judge anyone else, and I consider it snobbery to be "appalled" at anyone else's choices. It certainly woyld not affect my enjoyment of a cruise as long as I was meeting my own perception of appropriate behavior.

I totally agree, Esther, I could never wear shorts to church, either, and I could never knowlingly wear a hat indoors.

But, my son and daughter-in-law are much more church-oriented than I am, and he wears shorts and tee-shirts to church all the time -- and this in one of Palm Beach County's oldest and most hide-bound churches. He also seldom goes wthout his Red Sox hat, and I imagine he's forgotten to take it off from time to time -- even in church. Times change. The old fogeys in his church wear suits and white shirts, the aging hippies like me wear trousers and sports coats but no tie, the 40-somethings like him wear jeans and sometimes shorts, and the even younger set shows up in church in tank tops - both genders.

The key is, that while I could not meet curent standards -- and would consider that I was lowering myself if I did -- I don't have the right to judge anyone else, and I consider it snobbery to be "appalled" at anyone else's choices. It certainly woyld not affect my enjoyment of a cruise as long as I was meeting my own perception of appropriate behavior.

Well said.

Don, where did I say I was appalled or that I'm a snob about this? I re-read my posts and if I read correctly, I said I would not want any male in my home with a hat on. Snob? Appalled? I don't think so. I also won't allow anyone to smoke in my home.

So before this goes any further, let me say I don't care what anyone chooses to wear. I just have my personal opinions of what I like.

"I just have my personal opinions of what I like."

So do I, and I like Esther! She is very tolerant, she put up with ol' Ragnar at dinner in Compass Rose, despite my appearance and manners :eek:

You and your wife are delightful and we would be honored to share a ship with you again! And I like you, too.;)

And your manners weren't that bad -- just when you decided to use the water glass as an ashtray! JUST KIDDING before anyone thinks I'm serious!!!!!!! Rag knows my sense of humor and still puts up with me!

Don, where did I say I was appalled or that I'm a snob about this? I re-read my posts and if I read correctly, I said I would not want any male in my home with a hat on. Snob? Appalled? I don't think so. I also won't allow anyone to smoke in my home.

So before this goes any further, let me say I don't care what anyone chooses to wear. I just have my personal opinions of what I like.

Oh gosh, Esther, it wasn't you who used the term "appalled", it was earlier in thre thread, and I was making a general comment! So sorry if I mixed my messages. Nor do I think for a moment that YOU are a snob! Actually, I was agreeing with you, and using that as a basis to comment about people who ARE appalled,

I remember how elegant you looked when you dressed formally for your dinner with the Captain, and silentloy applauded you for doing what made you comfortable, and what you considered appropriate, despite that formal wear was not required. At the same time, I fondly remember your comment that socks are not appropriate with deck shoes!

Oh gosh, Esther, it wasn't you who used the term "appalled", it was earlier in thre thread, and I was making a general comment! So sorry if I mixed my messages. Nor do I think for a moment that YOU are a snob! Actually, I was agreeing with you, and using that as a basis to comment about people who ARE appalled,

I remember how elegant you looked when you dressed formally for your dinner with the Captain, and silentloy applauded you for doing what made you comfortable, and what you considered appropriate, despite that formal wear was not required. At the same time, I fondly remember your comment that socks are not appropriate with deck shoes!

Argyle socks and sandals are o.k., though!!!:) Hope one day to cruise with you and Betsy again. And thanks for the compliment -- wearing tattered shorts and tanks and bare feet all the time makes getting spiffed up a treat!!

Stan and I are going to have to recuse ourselves from this thread, because we just had a message from the guy who directed that photo shoot (ain't the Internet GRAND?), and although the "guy with the hat" turns out to have been a passenger and not a strategically placed subliminal suggestion, he also turns out to be a friend of ours.

Knowing him as we do, the cap was assuredly an attempt to stay incognito and not a social statement.

So we can all RELAXE :o

Archived