Frazzled and confused -newbie with losts of questions

akruz

:confused::confused:Narrowed down our decision - Celebrity for April as it has the best ports itinerary-choose between Exotic south Carribean or Panama Canal. However the pricing is alot more for the Panama as compared to the Carribean.

We have to be on a budget despite our anniversary (40) so the inside seems most reasonable but cannot figure out the staterooms??!! There are ocean view staterooms too that maybe could be affordable if you add on the incentives. Incentives on some staterooms are $300.00 off expire certain date, senior rates, residential rates, paid gratituities......

I know that mid ship is best and that would work but it would be the lowest deck for the deals. Some have higher decks but in the aft or forward. Has anyone stayed on the Plaza deck with the main admin for tours, etc as they had some staterooms about mid deck seem close for tours,etc due to my knee replacement that I am in recovery as at this moment.

This will help immensely as we have to add on airfare and perhaps a hotel the night prior. I think we could catch the plane at intl on return as return for both is early am. Without adding another hotel expense.

What staterooms would you recommend?

Which itinerary south or panama?

What does prepaid gratuities mean and what saving would that be?

Are the incentives good?

The price creeps up each day as I check........why and should I get on this asap.?

Some websites have different incentives as compared to the Celebrity site which is very poor to maneuver. I guess I am not allowed to mention the site with best deals but can say it is advertised on the cruise critic web.

Please my dear fellow seasoned cruise members help this newbie out as my head is so foggy?

What time does one embark if sailing is at 4pm, would we be able to get from airport intl to port to embark in time or taking chances and just overnight. It would keep the costs down!:rolleyes:

Panama canal cruises are more expensive, because it costs TONS for your ship to enter the locks.....incredible cost!

You should probably talk to a good travel agent...they can really be of great assistance for 1st timers.

Low decks are almost always cheaper than higher decks....it's all about location!

If you have to FLY to port,it's always best to arrive the day prior....you don't want some airline glitch to destroy your vacation. A delay or a lost bag can really put a crimp in your plans! Budget for a hotel the night before.

Panama canal cruises are more expensive, because it costs TONS for your ship to enter the locks.....incredible cost!

When we sailed through the canal on Celebrity Infinity several years ago, the captain did a presentation during which he mentioned that it costs the cruise line about $350,000 to transit the canal on average for a cruise ship. On our ship, that worked out to about $175 per passenger extra, or $350 per stateroom. That cost is paid out of the base fare, so a canal crossing would have to cost more.

These costs are based on the total number of beds on the ship, regardless of how full the ship is. Costs cover the reservation to transit the canal at a specific time on a specific date (typically ships arrive and wait in line until their turn, which is usually two to three days), the cost for use of the eight "mules" (electric locomotives) that guide the ship through each lock, the cost of a tug boat that follows the ship through the more difficult areas of the canal in case the ship's power fails, and the cost of the pilot who takes command of the ship during the entire eight hour transit.

As to the stateroom, I would take the best that I could afford without causing me to worry about the cost. Some people enjoy and/or tolerate inside staterooms (cheapest), but for me an oceanview would be the minimum. But that's a personal question, though if you think you might have any tendency to be motion sick, an oceanview should be the minimum.

A lower deck might be a little easier on your knees, but also look at the various decks to see where you are going to have to walk to get to the things you want. Elevators eliminate the need to stay on a lower deck for mobility reasons (they even let those less-mobile use the elevators for the muster drill). But the lower deck cabins are going to be cheaper.

The itinerary questions have already been addressed.

Prepaid gratuities is the daily gratuity or tip that you leave for the crew. There is a daily rate per person that they normally charge you at the end of the cruise. I don't offhand know the daily rate for Celebrity, but it is likely in the $12 per person per day range. You can reduce that if you want, and you can even ask to pay in cash rather than have it put on your tab. But the prepaid gratuities mean that these are already paid for.

Basically, TAs (Travel Agents) are not supposed to discount the cruise prices. So what they do is offer prepaid gratuities, or credit to your onboard account (put cash in ahead for you), so they are taking some of their commission and paying it back to you as an incentive. They have discounted the fare, but you get it cheaper! You say tomato, I say......

You can start to embark usually sometime between 10:30 and 11:30 though you might not be able to get into your cabin until mid-afternoon. So have anything you need before mid-afternoon in your carryon. I agree with what others have said that it is best to fly in the day before -- weather can delay you and cause you to miss your trip. You will find recommendations for inexpensive hotels if you ask on the "North American Home Ports" board.

We always fly in a day early because we don't want to miss the ship due to weather or other flight delays.

We also like balcony cabins, but many people get along just fine with insides or ocean view. Choose what you can afford without feeling the pinch.

Midship cabins are considered the best, but we like cabins toward the aft just fine and have had cabins pretty far forward that worked well too. Having a cabin on a lower deck is usually cheaper, and with elevators it doesn't make much difference as to walking.

If you can get a cabin near the elevators, that would help with your knee. We've had cabins right by the elevators and there was no noise issue.

Prepaid gratuities don't save you any money--you just don't have to worry about them at the end of the cruise. The only way to save on gratuities is to not pay the recommended amount, but I do not endorse this as the crew works very hard for their tips--we usually add some extra for our cabin steward.

You can embark, usually, around 11 or so. Sometimes there is a hold-up and it is a little later. Your room may not be ready quite yet though.

We almost always fly home the same day we disembark; try to find a flight that leaves at noon or later, though we have made earlier flights; this depends on the airport, of course.

Have a great time--it's not as complicated as it sounds.

How much time are you going to spend in your cabin? There are plenty of things to do on the ship and on shore. The majority of time spent in your cabib will be when you are sleeping, and guess what? All the cabins look the same w

hen you are asleep.

What staterooms would you recommend? We have been on over 50 cruises and for many years booked only inside cabins. We like to be "out and about" so spend very little time in the room. It wasn't until we started doing more exotic cruises (Baltic, Med, South America) that we started getting balcony cabins. In my opinion, nothing wrong with inside cabins. We also used to book only mid-ship cabins but, in the past few years, have been in cabins in various parts of the ship and never had a problem. We do like to avoid cabins too near the elevators only because of the noise.

What does prepaid gratuities mean and what saving would that be? Prepaid doesn't save you anything. However, it would spread your expenses out. If you prepay your gratuities, that is one less expense that you'll have at the end of your trip.

The price creeps up each day as I check........why and should I get on this asap.? Typically as the ship fills up, the prices go up. It's when they are having a hard time filling up the ship that you start to get the price drops. If you make a decision on a cruise, there is no reason to wait to book it.

Some websites have different incentives as compared to the Celebrity site which is very poor to maneuver. I guess I am not allowed to mention the site with best deals but can say it is advertised on the cruise critic web.

Be sure of the website company you are using before you book a cruise - read all the fine print. Make sure you are comparing the exact same costs - some websites will show the price of a cruise without all the taxes and fees.

Marianne

I want to thank every one of you for your replies as it made my day so much better and now feel at bit better as for our budget the inside will work the best.

Thanks you people certainly are the best!

Just to update, We made a decision due to our budget and as in my orignal post. Celebrity Constellation to exotic southern carribean leaving April 7 and yes we having deck 7 and oceanview. For us that is okay as I will still be able to enjoy what the ship is offering. I am excited that I get to celebrate our 40th Anniversary and with the couple that stood up for us.

I was so excited that the price was in range BUT now I am having trouble finding the airfare to FT Lauderdale as the price listed is out of this world! Does anyone have some good search engines so I can check around. Sounds like Delta or WestJet from Stoon.

I would like other info for hotel prior and trfr to/from hotel, port. Where should I go to find this info. I guess I really should be on newbie!

Even the ship concerning meals, etc.

Thank you as this is a great website. Very nice and friendly replies so appreciated.

Dear OP,

Airfare booked this late will be high. You are choosing to fly during spring break and Easter season.

To compare airfares you can use kayak.com or itasoftware. Kayak also has a hotel component. Kayak does not include Southwest and perhaps a few other airlines.You may just have to catch your breath and book what air you can find. If you have any questions about the airfares post the flight information either on this board or on the Cruise Air board BEFORE you purchase your tickets. There are some very experienced flyers on the Cruise Air board who can help but once you are past the 24 hour cancellation period they can only commisserate and chastise. Questions about which of the three airports are best, arrival and departure times, one way tickets, connections, etc. can all be answered there.

Hotels can be booked via Hotwire or Priceline although they will be on the high side as well.

If you are sailing out of Port Everglades (this is the name for the port of Ft. Lauderdale) the cruise port is less than 15 minutes from the FLL terminal and many airport hotels. Some offer cruiseport shuttles either free or for a small fee. If a fee is involved a taxi will be less expensive and far more convenient. Even if the hotel does not do a port shuttle and is farther from the airport if it has a free airport shuttle you can use this as your interim means of transportation and take an inexpensive cab ride from the airport to cruise port.

I wish you a very happy anniversary and if there is anything we can do to help you again please do not hesitate to ask.

I'm glad you picked a ship & a date. Airfare can be a dampener. As someone else suggested find a fare tracker. They have one on CC's sister sight TripAdvisor.

The $300 incentive is probably not for an IV cabin. They don't often have incentives on those cabins. If they do it will be $25 - $50. The $300 is for a more expensive catagory like a balcony or a suite. You have to read the fine print carefully.

If you can afford to go in the day before do so. Yes, you will spend $100 or so on a hotel but that is was cheaper than missing the ship & having to pay to fly yourself to the next port. We get the best deals on Priceline.

Other expenses you should think about & budget / save for:

• tips -- whether you pay then in advance or at the end of the cruise you will be assessed about $12/day per person or on a 7 day cruise $168.00.

• booze -- only you know how much you drink

• excursions -- what do you want to do in the ports of call? walking around is free; hopping a cab to the beach is cheap; taking a helicopter ride to see the island is expensive; there's also all sorts of stuff & price points in between

• travel insurance -- your medical coverage probably doesn't work outside of the US. What happens if there's an accident before you sail? Check out www.insuremytrip.com for more info.

Happy anniversary

Thank you as I will try all the good info and see what happens. Yes the four of us are from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.

As for drinking, DH and friends like a cocktail or two a day. We are not heavy drinkers. DH feels we should get like tha a.I. on land pkgs but we never drink for the sake of all the booze you want. I read some threads about smuggling hard liquor in and to tote from Prairies seems alot. Yet, do not want to waste our money on expensive onboard drinks.

Luggage, is another concern due to the formal nights. It will be hard to get our weight etc and have all different shoes, etc for the formal nights???

We did get an oceanview on deck 7 with the $300.00 off but put that back into prepaid gratuities. We just hit a sale for seniors with $300.00 off and ends Feb 5/12.

thanks for all the help it is so appreciated and just for your time.

...find a fare tracker. They have one on CC's sister sight TripAdvisor.

I just looked at TripAdvisor and didn't see a fare tracker. Would you be so kind as to point out where I can find this tool?

Thanks.

I just looked at TripAdvisor and didn't see a fare tracker. Would you be so kind as to point out where I can find this tool?

Thanks.

Across the top of the page you will see facebook, your name, your trip advisor etc.

Click on Your tripadvisor. You will get a pull down menu. Click "subscriptions" The screen will change. The first segement is Trip Planning alerts. Subscribe to the one you want -- Air Watch. Answer the Qs & you will get updates in your e-mail.

...find a fare tracker. They have one on CC's sister sight TripAdvisor.

Thanks.

Across the top of the page you will see facebook, your name, your trip advisor etc.

Click on Your tripadvisor. You will get a pull down menu. Click "subscriptions" The screen will change. The first segement is Trip Planning alerts. Subscribe to the one you want -- Air Watch. Answer the Qs & you will get updates in your e-mail.

Didn't realize it was through Facebook. Thanks for the pointer.

akruz--you will like Constellation. I sailed her last summer to Scand/Russia. I am sailing her sister ship, Summit, Feb. 4-11 to the S. Carib. It will be my 4th cruise on Summit. the others were Alaska, classic Med. and this same cruise last year. You will have a great time. Hope you find a reasonable airfare. It's always better to book farther in advance. I go in Jan. or Feb. when the weather is bad here and I can get a bit of relief.

There have always been a lot of Canadians on my cruises, everywhere I've sailed.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib. 1/03 Explorer W. Carib. 8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour

2/04 Adventure S. Carib. 2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal (partial transit w/4 western ports)

6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords, 1/07 Mercury Mex. Riv. 1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ

1/09 Galaxy S. Carib. 6/09 Summit Classical Med. 1/11 Summit S. Carib.

6/11 Constellation Scand/Russia 2/12 Summit S. Carib.

As you can see, Celebrity is my favorite. You're starting out with the best!

Didn't realize it was through Facebook. Thanks for the pointer.

It's not through FB but you can link your TripAdvisor to your FB. I just want you to find the FB link on the top of the page, then read about 1 inch across from it to find the MyTripAdvisor link.

Archived