Tinnitus noise blocking Island Princess

Alaskanb

We will be in a mini-suite on the Island Princess in May. At home I use a large HEPA air cleaner as a noise-balancing device for tinnitus when I sleep. Is there a fan that can be turned on in the cabins to provide ambient noise or do I need to bring a sound device? Thanks.

Wow...the things you learn on Cruise Critic is amazing.

My DH suffers with Meniere's Disease which the most troubling symptom is constant ringing in his ears (tinnitus).

One time after a 4-day coastal cruise, he had a terrible episode of vertigo that started about an hour after we disembarked. It was so severe that we had to take him immediately to the doctor. The doctor told him that it often happens to people who cruise. That episode was the first (and only) time that happened, and we have cruised several times.

This is the first I have ever heard of White Noise Machines, and I don't think the doctor has ever suggested that as a form of treatment.

Thanks for the link to the website. I will have my DH check it out. It would be wonderful if the white noise could help him.

There are no fans in the cabins or anything else that makes any noise but how does the HEPA air cleaner do anything to alleviate your problem? It seems that it would only add to it.

I know it sounds strange to need to add external noise to combat the internal noise of tinnitus but it really helps. The best I have found is the ceiling fan but for the ship a small white noise machine really helps.

I know it sounds strange to need to add external noise to combat the internal noise of tinnitus but it really helps. The best I have found is the ceiling fan but for the ship a small white noise machine really helps.

I've learned to live with it over the years but I'll probably give it a try to see what happens. Do you use it only when you sleep or does it help when watching TV also?

Wow...the things you learn on Cruise Critic is amazing.

This is the first I have ever heard of White Noise Machines, and I don't think the doctor has ever suggested that as a form of treatment.

Thanks for the link to the website. I will have my DH check it out. It would be wonderful if the white noise could help him.

Hi--the white noise is not a form of treatment but certainly helps me to go to sleep easier.

Marpac 980A Sound Screen Sleep Conditioner White Noise Generator Dual Speed

Decided to get this model--a little on the heavy side for travel but should work in my case.

They really do help. I've been traveling with a Marsona (made by Marpac) International Travel Sound Conditioner for years and use it at home too. Good luck!

We have a Sharper Image sound machine in our bedroom, and bought a tiny travel model back in the late 90's. It's no longer available, but here is the latest travel edition from Sharper Image.

http://www.sharperimage.com/si/view/product/Travel-Sleep-Sound-Machine/100908?question=427 sound soother

We love taking ours on trips as it cuts down on all that background noise in the hallway, or siren/traffic noise outside windows in hotels, etc. I'll never understand the people who talk loudly, laugh or make other loud noises while in the hallway late at night when you're trying to sleep. Very inconsiderate! This helps immensely!

Ceiling fans in bedrooms don't work for me - my fans are silent!

I have pretty bad tinnitus, but on the ship earlier this month it hardly bothered me at all. The sound of water is the only thing that cancels out my ringing (I don't hear it in the shower or at the beach), so I was surprised that I could hardly hear it even in the cabin. I've had the tinnitus for less than one year, so this was my first cruise with it. I told DH we'd have to take more cruises so I can be tinnitus-free! :-)

I have pretty bad tinnitus, but on the ship earlier this month it hardly bothered me at all. The sound of water is the only thing that cancels out my ringing (I don't hear it in the shower or at the beach), so I was surprised that I could hardly hear it even in the cabin. I've had the tinnitus for less than one year, so this was my first cruise with it. I told DH we'd have to take more cruises so I can be tinnitus-free! :-)

Mine started about a year ago too--it would be bliss to have a week with it lessened.

As noted, there is a great app for the iphone/ipad for 99 cents called White Noise. It has an oscillating fan option.

There is similar for android too.

Sadly I don't have these devices--I'm a very simple phone person. My kids took both my ipods as I never used them.

As noted, there is a great app for the iphone/ipad for 99 cents called White Noise. It has an oscillating fan option.

There is similar for android too.

I love this app, and used it on my last cruise. I also recommend the airplane noise (sounds like the inside of an airplane).

I love this app, and used it on my last cruise. I also recommend the airplane noise (sounds like the inside of an airplane).

You mean crying babies, squeaky-wheeled beverage carts, and garbled announcements from a captain trying to sound like Chuck Yeager?

I've learned to live with it over the years but I'll probably give it a try to see what happens. Do you use it only when you sleep or does it help when watching TV also?

Great thread, very hard to explain the ringing in the ears sound, but the white noise really does work for me at night. I have a bedside and travel model.

Jerry

How long is the loop on this? I'd like to download white noise to my iPod that would play maybe 3-4 hours during a long flight.

Archived