Air Choice Fees

Florida Fan

I booked a one-way flight from the US to Rome for a transAtlantic cruise back this fall. I'm going on Celebrity and booked my flight on Choice Air using Flex Fare. Flex Fare locked in the base fare but not the airline's fees and other charges. Since last week, both (base fare and fees) have gone up. Is this common? Anyone have experience with this? Suggestions? Final payment is due in Sept., but I'm wondering if I should try to pay off the ticket earlier if fees might keep increasing.

Lenore

I booked a one-way flight from the US to Rome for a transAtlantic cruise back this fall. I'm going on Celebrity and booked my flight on Choice Air using Flex Fare. Flex Fare locked in the base fare but not the airline's fees and other charges. Since last week, both (base fare and fees) have gone up. Is this common? Anyone have experience with this? Suggestions? Final payment is due in Sept., but I'm wondering if I should try to pay off the ticket earlier if fees might keep increasing.

Lenore

Not sure why that occurred. We did one way air through Choice Air for our TA this past November and all fees were included except baggage fees, although we didn't have any since USAir allowed free first bag for an international flight.

I know the fee change doesn't seem to make sense. However, when I checked the base and the fees, I could see that the base was about $11 higher and the fees were about $25 higher per person. I'm not sure if this is a common "bounce." I think I'll stop checking them until I'm able to pay.

The airlines, by law, have to start publishing TRUE fares, not just the base fares. I believe it starts tomorrow but some airlines have already started this. It gives buyers the actual prices rather than the lead prices which never showed all the taxes in the ticket. Fares haven't gone up - they will just be shown as they should without the cheap base fares and the taxes hidden in the fine print.

Another possibility is that there is a fuel surcharge that is responsible for the fee increase.

Of course....since the OP provided only one piece of information about the trip (Rome), it is next to impossible to actually answer the question with anything approaching factual knowledge.

Is it so hard to include cities, airlines, dates, flights and the rest??

Incomplete in....incomplete out. Our variant of GIGO.

Princess offers EZAir. You have two options;flexible and restricted. The flexible option is refundable until 45 days before your flight departure. Fare is due with your final cruise payment. Your fare, and availability, isn't guaranteed until you pay for your ticket. This sounds like what the OP has. The reason the fuel surcharge, or even the fare, can change is the passenger isn't ticketed until final payment.

Why don't you use Kayak and see what kind of fare you can get on your own. Paying now is the only way to guarantee your total price.

This doesn't have anything to do with the new law. The cruise line, not the airline, is showing the fare. The fare is valid, but only if you purchase (pay for it) immediately.

JMO but it's a shell game. Knowing what fare, and flight, is available now doesn't mean what will be available when your final payment is due for your cruise.

Archived