When to book spa treatments

JeanfromBNA

Hi! First time on Celebrity - Infinity to Alaska in the new 11th floor aft AQ cabins. DH and I are spa enthusiasts, so this seemed like a good deal.

Tired to book massages online for our first sea day with no luck. Should I call Celebrity or wait to book onboard?

Hi! First time on Celebrity - Infinity to Alaska in the new 11th floor aft AQ cabins. DH and I are spa enthusiasts, so this seemed like a good deal.

Tired to book massages online for our first sea day with no luck. Should I call Celebrity or wait to book onboard?

WAIT! The spas at sea are NOT as good as land based ones, by a long shot. Once on board after a day or so the spa will start offering "specials" at usually significant discounts. No need to pay full price for these treatments and they always have space available so don't worry about them being sold out.

We've been on the Disney Wonder twice and were impressed with the spa facilities there, as well as the quality of the massage. Our therapists were exceptional each time. Is the Celebrity spa different? I thought that the Aqua Spa was supposed to be very nice.

Jean,

I don't do a lot of land based massages so I cannot compare Celebrity to land based. I feel I have had good massages on celebrity. Are they over priced? I don't know.

Special pricing on Celebrity is usually for port days or at the end of the cruise if there is not a lot of bookings.

If a massage on the 1st sea day is important to you the I suggest calling Celebrity. Otherwise, head up to the spa as soon as you board and book then. I like a facial early in the cruise and that's what I do for booking.

Mary Lou

I've checked the prices, and they are consistent with resort hotels (more than what you pay for at home), so that doesn't surprise me.

I'm more concerned about availability. Is everything going to be booked solid the first day at sea?

I've checked the prices, and they are consistent with resort hotels (more than what you pay for at home), so that doesn't surprise me.

I'm more concerned about availability. Is everything going to be booked solid the first day at sea?

Probably not. You might want to try calling 800 722-5941, ext 4 to ask. If they cannot help board early and head up to the spa to book. As I said, I've been able to book facials on the day of sailing or the 1st sea day with no problem. You may not get the exact time you want but they usually have bookings available.

Mary Lou

The spa is almost never fully booked. Never book spa treatments in advance for a cruise; their philosophy is to start with exorbitant pricing, see how many people they can get to book at those prices and then by mid cruise they frequently offer deep discounts such as $50 off, 50%, two-for-one etc. Attend spa events listed in the daily newspaper such as expos as they often send coupons to people who attend these events (or let you sign up at discounted rates at the expos). They also do gimmicks like "bid" on the treatment of your choice - everybody who bids at least 50% of full price "wins."

Compared to high end spas in Chicago the prices seem to be about 40% higher on the ship. While the Aqua Spa looks nice, the quality of the therapists varies and they usually go for a "hard sell" of products at the end of treatment (not just Celebrity but most of the mass market cruise lines - nearly all the major cruise lines rent out the spa to be run by a company called Steiner that is known for the hard sell).

HAIR DRESSER

Hi jean we are booked on Celebrity Equinox next week and my wife was wondering about getting her haid done before the formal night. any idea of pricing or is it better getting done on a day the ship will be docked.

Declan

We always book a couple of couples massages when we first get on board. Never really had problems with availability, but they will always try and offer you "less desirable" appointment times first, like 8am the first morning you wake up on the ship and want to sleep in!

We always book a couple of couples massages when we first get on board. Never really had problems with availability, but they will always try and offer you "less desirable" appointment times first, like 8am the first morning you wake up on the ship and want to sleep in!
Yes, I always try to get the DW a hot stone massage, but only at 8AM? Come on...

HAIR DRESSER

Hi jean we are booked on Celebrity Equinox next week and my wife was wondering about getting her haid done before the formal night. any idea of pricing or is it better getting done on a day the ship will be docked.

Declan

I had my hair done on our recent Silhoutte cruise. There wasn't a discount on port days. The massage I had was offered at a 10% discount when we were in port.

The spa is almost never fully booked. Never book spa treatments in advance for a cruise; their philosophy is to start with exorbitant pricing, see how many people they can get to book at those prices and then by mid cruise they frequently offer deep discounts such as $50 off, 50%, two-for-one etc. Attend spa events listed in the daily newspaper such as expos as they often send coupons to people who attend these events (or let you sign up at discounted rates at the expos). They also do gimmicks like "bid" on the treatment of your choice - everybody who bids at least 50% of full price "wins."

Compared to high end spas in Chicago the prices seem to be about 40% higher on the ship. While the Aqua Spa looks nice, the quality of the therapists varies and they usually go for a "hard sell" of products at the end of treatment (not just Celebrity but most of the mass market cruise lines - nearly all the major cruise lines rent out the spa to be run by a company called Steiner that is known for the hard sell).

Agree completely with Gonzo. We were on Equinox last year. The Aqua Spa is indeed nice, but was almost practically empty every time we went. I imagine that sea days are the most crowded, since you've got no port to compete with business, but even then I would find it hard to think that every therapist is fully booked.

Prices are mega expensive. You have to decide for yourself if it's worth the cost. Not sure of the layout of the spa on other Celebrity ships, but my massage was in a normal treatment room without any windows looking out to the sea. I'm not sure if they even have that as an option, but that to me might justify the increased cost. Otherwise it's pretty much a normal massage, only you're paying perhaps 3-4x what you normally would back home. (My local massages cost me only $45 an hour.) We are experienced cruisers who know that the spa is quite a rip-off, but as it was our honeymoon, we felt that we'd splurge and overpay for something we knew was no better than what we'd find at home.

If you must go, then I would try to wait for some of the specials/discounts. Of course they might fall on port days when you have other things planned.

HAIR DRESSER

Declan

Hey, Declan. It's my first time on Celebrity in May. I've only been on the Disney cruises in the Carribean. Disney did offer spa discounts on port days, but I can't say for sure about the salon.

Have a fabulous cruise, and tell us all about it when you return! :)

I had my hair done on our recent Silhoutte cruise. There wasn't a discount on port days. The massage I had was offered at a 10% discount when we were in port.

If you don't mind me asking what was the charge to get your hair done at the salon?

Thanks,

Shelly

Archived