Western Caribbean time lapse

T_Bone2012

Very well done - must try that! What program did you use?

I brought a tripod, used the kodak software that came with my digital SLR to take a shot every 8 seconds, then used quick time pro to make the movies. I also brought an external hard drive to transfer the images to, as each sequence took up 7GB of space!

I brought a tripod, used the kodak software that came with my digital SLR to take a shot every 8 seconds, then used quick time pro to make the movies. I also brought an external hard drive to transfer the images to, as each sequence took up 7GB of space!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for sharing. I love time lapse videos. They are my favorite. :D

Thanks - it was fun making them, although I was a bit hesitant to just leave the camera out on the balcony unattended for hours at a time! On our next cruise I'll just have get a few cocktails and set it up out front and just relax!

Thanks - it was fun making them, although I was a bit hesitant to just leave the camera out on the balcony unattended for hours at a time! On our next cruise I'll just have get a few cocktails and set it up out front and just relax!

Oh gosh. I hadn't even thought of that. I guess maybe I was thinking it was done only while you were on the ship there with it. :eek: I can't imagine leaving my camera there while I went ashore. I would freak out the whole time. :D Great job though. Loved it.

I'm so doing this in 3 weeks! I have to use a remote/timer for my base model Rebel, but have done some good sunset and star time lapses in the past. Wish I liked Apple enough to buy their equipment for processing, every Windows based program I've tried just plain stinks.

Excellent job, really enjoyed the production. Do you shoot in manual mode, auto, or some priority mode?

I'm so doing this in 3 weeks! I have to use a remote/timer for my base model Rebel, but have done some good sunset and star time lapses in the past. Wish I liked Apple enough to buy their equipment for processing, every Windows based program I've tried just plain stinks.

Excellent job, really enjoyed the production. Do you shoot in manual mode, auto, or some priority mode?

I still use my old rebel xs. I use the basic Canon rebel xs software that came with the camera - i think you can download it from their site. I really want to get a rotating tripod attachment this year!

I've shot on both auto and shutter priority. The auto mode doesn't do will if you are transitioning from day to night.

• 2 weeks later...

Well TBone, I've got the timelapse bug BAD!!!

Playing around with my old Sealife dive camera, discovered it has the SPY setting for time lapse's.

Now it's only 6MP, runs off of two AA's, and can only accommodate 2GB cards - but as I run tests with it at 10 second intervals it will do all 600 pics to fill the card, little under 2 hours coverage. At 30 second intervals the NiMH batteries die after 4 hours, just under 500 images.

This is a sample at the 30 sec. interval (run at .07/sec per image in the movie) - a little too jerky I think. (Stupid Photobucket - click to go to full screen to see it as smoothly as it can get - and their compression is adding the artifacts in the dirt, they are much clearer full resolution)

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/kingshootr/?action=view&current=tuliptimelapse.mp4

Will stick with the 10 sec. interval - yours look really smooth at 8 sec/per. exposure. What frame rate did you use when making your movie?

What frame rate did you use when making your movie?

That looks great! There are a lot of scenes I want to do time lapses of, but I don't have 2-3 hours of patience to guard my camera! I need to find a great book and learn to relax!

I reduce my quality down to 5MP to conserve space on my hard drive (each of my videos uses over 900 images) I used 15 frames per second for my videos, and would have used 24 fps if my computer could handle it!

• 3 weeks later...

My attempt from the Carnival Dream last week. This is leaving Roatan. (Click to go to full screen, it seems to be less jittery.)

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/kingshootr/Cruise%20WDW%202012/?action=view&current=roatanwmusic.mp4

It was approx. 600 images taken 10 sec. apart and stitched together at 10fps in Windows Movie Maker.

My attempt from the Carnival Dream last week. This is leaving Roatan. (Click to go to full screen, it seems to be less jittery.)

http://s266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/kingshootr/Cruise%20WDW%202012/?action=view&current=roatanwmusic.mp4

It was approx. 600 images taken 10 sec. apart and stitched together at 10fps in Windows Movie Maker.

Nice job- now you'll be hooked! Here is my last movie shot using an iPhone! Luckily it's a private jet, so there was no flight attendant yelling at me!

Archived