Illness At Sea

Clydesmom7865

I read this story about a Carnival passenger needing blood at sea:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/01/coast-guard-delivers-blood-to-sick-cruise-passenger/

It reminded me of a similar emergency we had on the Equinox during my cruise in December. It was the second sea day when the announcement came asking any passenger who had their blood donor card and was O negative to come to the medical department. The announcement was made twice. I had my card but am O positive. I found out later in the day that they had so many O negative donors show up that they were turning people away. They were able to collect 2 or 3 pints of blood until we could make port the next day and evacuate the passenger.

I wonder if the Carnival ships are not set up to do blood donations if the Coast Guard had to air drop six pints of blood? It didn't occur to me until I read the article that not all cruise lines may be set up to provide that level of care in an urgent situation. Thankfully Celebrity was and there were enough caring passengers willing to donate.

I think it's more than just drawing blood...there is some testing that needs to be done. I would guess that the new larger ships have the capability...but it's not publicly available info, as far as I know.

In a hospital setting they do what is known as a type and cross match. They make an effort to match as many genetic markers in the blood so that the patient has as little chance of a transfusion reaction. The equipment to do that is so sophisticated I doubt any cruise ship has it. The best they can do is match the type and Rh factor when at sea with no opportunity to evacuate immediately.

I believe that is why the Equinox medical crew insisted on having a blood donor card. That would be a definitive way to ensure the blood type at least matched. In a true emergency an O positive donor can donate to anyone. The downside is O positive can ONLY get O positive blood!

The story I posted just shows how far cruise lines go to aid a distressed passenger. Not to mention the Coast Guard.

In a true emergency an O positive donor can donate to anyone. The downside is O positive can ONLY get O positive blood!

The story I posted just shows how far cruise lines go to aid a distressed passenger. Not to mention the Coast Guard.

Not quite. An O negative donor can donate to anyone, including an O positive recipient. An O positive donor can donate to any positive recipient.

But I agree with you on the commendable action by the Coast Guard, as reported on tonight's news.

S

(from an O negative formerly regular blood donor -- DH is O positive and was in high demand as a baby donor because of other factors that I don't possess)

Actually it is the other way around. O negative people can donate to anyone but can only have O negative blood. I am O neg and a retired Lab Tech.

How generous all those O neg people were to answer the request for blood.

Cruise ship infirmaries aren't equipped for MAJOR illness/injury treatment. They are fine for bumps, bruises, cuts and tummy-aches....maybe the odd allergic reaction....but if you have the possibility of needing serious treatment, a ship is not the place to be. Sure, they will do their best, and then off-load you ASAP. Not the best scenario in the world!

I think it's more than just drawing blood...there is some testing that needs to be done. I would guess that the new larger ships have the capability...but it's not publicly available info, as far as I know.

You are correct. When you donate in a non-ship setting, there are several viral tests that are run (hep b, hep c, aids.....).

I think they require a donor card to perhaps connect with the red cross or whoever the donor donates to and checks their donating history because it would be difficult to run these tests on a ship. And to verify the type and Rh.

O neg universal donor

O pos universal recipient

Not quite. An O negative donor can donate to anyone, including an O positive recipient. An O positive donor can donate to any positive recipient.

But I agree with you on the commendable action by the Coast Guard, as reported on tonight's news.

S

(from an O negative formerly regular blood donor -- DH is O positive and was in high demand as a baby donor because of other factors that I don't possess)

I am guessing that your husband is CMV negative.

You are correct. When you donate in a non-ship setting, there are several viral tests that are run (hep b, hep c, aids.....).

I think they require a donor card to perhaps connect with the red cross or whoever the donor donates to and checks their donating history because it would be difficult to run these tests on a ship. And to verify the type and Rh.

O neg universal donor - Correct.

O pos universal recipient - Incorrect. O Positive should not receive blood from Group A, B or AB, as they can form (or already have) antibodies. It is debatable if there is such a thing as a universal recipient. If there were, it would be someone with Group AB.

I am guessing that your husband is CMV negative.

People with Group O blood may react severely if given blood of the incorrect group. I am O Positive. I have formed antibodies to Group B blood (husband and 2 of my children have Group B blood). These antibodies caused my third child to be born severely jaundiced, just like a baby of a mother with Rh factor incompatibilities.

People with Group O blood may react severely if given blood of the incorrect group. I am O Positive. I have formed antibodies to Group B blood (husband and 2 of my children have Group B blood). These antibodies caused my third child to be born severely jaundiced, just like a baby of a mother with Rh factor incompatibilities.

I wrote the wrong thing! I will correct it! Can't believe I used to do this for a living (in a previous life!)

AB Pos is the universal recipient! You are right!

I can't correct it, too late. Sorry and thanks!

Archived