Back up ideas for bad weather in ports.

FLNC09

We are doing our first Alaska cruise Sept 8th. Can't wait. I know weather can be iffy this time of year. Does anyone have some good ideas for last minute back up plans for Junea, Skagway and Ketichan?

We were in Alaska in September of last year and went expecting rain every day and were blessed with many lovely days. All the ports are very accessible with an umbrella. That being said, the White Pass Summit train would be fine in the rain as well as any motor coach tours. It would have to be really raining or foggy for the whale trips not to go out. The helicopters and planes would be be grounded with rain or fog. When it did rain in Alaska it was more of a drizzle. Fog tended to be early morning and burn off with the sun. In Ketchikan there is a nice museum and many lovely shops.

We were in Alaska in September of last year and went expecting rain every day and were blessed with many lovely days. All the ports are very accessible with an umbrella. That being said, the White Pass Summit train would be fine in the rain as well as any motor coach tours. It would have to be really raining or foggy for the whale trips not to go out. The helicopters and planes would be be grounded with rain or fog. When it did rain in Alaska it was more of a drizzle. Fog tended to be early morning and burn off with the sun. In Ketchikan there is a nice museum and many lovely shops.

Glad to hear the White Pass Train is still good in the rain. That is one thing I thought I'd like to do but read that it wasn't good if the weather wasn't clear.

Our last time in AK the weather was great. That said we are from Oregon and don't mind the rain or drizzle. Just have a lightweight jacket that is rain proof - maybe one with a hood and keep on truckin'. As others have noted any of the bus or train tours are OK. If the weather gets too bad the flightseeing stuff is cancelled.

Before our first visit to Alaska we went to REI and bought rain pants and jackets with hoods that go right over our jeans. They are not cheap but they have been worn many times. I would not go to Alaska without them. They keep you warm and dry and can be rolled up into a pouch when you don't need them. You will also need two pair of walking shoes that can withstand the rain if necessary. You do not need an umbrella as the rain gear can also protect you from the wind as well. Properly dressed you can enjoy any activity. If it's pouring and you don't want to go out you can always sit in the Lido or crow's nest and watch the tourists and look at the scenery!

We are doing our first Alaska cruise Sept 8th. Can't wait. I know weather can be iffy this time of year. Does anyone have some good ideas for last minute back up plans for Junea, Skagway and Ketichan?

Not really sure what you mean by iffy, but if you are referring to rain that happens all the time in Southeast Alaska.

We are taking our first cruise to Alaska this summer in late May and I have been doing a lot of reading. Its just a fact of life that it could potentially be rainy and overcast for a lot of your time in Alaska. I wouldn't let it stop you from doing things that you want to do and enjoy.

I have since found that a pair of snow pants also works well in the rain. mine are large enough to be pulled over my jeans and they also are light enough to rolled up in my backpack if not needed. I also have a good pair of waterproof hiking boots - and yes I am a former Boy Scout as well as a Scoutmaster - Be Prepared.

I have cruised Alaska five times, seen all types of weather at the ports, glacier areas, and Inside Passage. One year in Ketchikan it down poured for hours. I never bothered to leave the ship having already been there a couple of times before.

If this is your first and possibly only time to cruise Alaska you either have to be prepared and suck it up, or miss it. Take an inexpensive rain parka, rain hat, and small umbrella. You just never know.

As far as the WPYRR being OK in the rain, that's a bit subjective. I've done that trip three times. Once it rained, the cloud deck was low, we saw just about squat once we headed up into the mountains, and it was hot and stuffy. Had to open the doors at the end of the cars for ventilation.

Here are some pictures when it isn't all sunshine and brochure perfect, not to say that there were also lots of nice days as well...

On the way up the mountain in the WPYRR

wpyrr.jpg

Glacier Bay

Alaska14.JPG

Hiding from the rain in Glacier Bay

Alaska15.JPG

Overcast cruising the Inside Passage

Skagway8.JPG

Before our first visit to Alaska we went to REI and bought rain pants and jackets with hoods that go right over our jeans. They are not cheap but they have been worn many times. I would not go to Alaska without them. They keep you warm and dry and can be rolled up into a pouch when you don't need them. You will also need two pair of walking shoes that can withstand the rain if necessary. You do not need an umbrella as the rain gear can also protect you from the wind as well. Properly dressed you can enjoy any activity. If it's pouring and you don't want to go out you can always sit in the Lido or crow's nest and watch the tourists and look at the scenery!

Is your rain gear breathable as well? Sounds like a trip to REI may be in order.

I have since found that a pair of snow pants also works well in the rain. mine are large enough to be pulled over my jeans and they also are light enough to rolled up in my backpack if not needed. I also have a good pair of waterproof hiking boots - and yes I am a former Boy Scout as well as a Scoutmaster - Be Prepared.

Thanks for the good idea. I do have a pair of snowpants! Wouldn't have thought of that.

Not really sure what you mean by iffy, but if you are referring to rain that happens all the time in Southeast Alaska.

We are taking our first cruise to Alaska this summer in late May and I have been doing a lot of reading. Its just a fact of life that it could potentially be rainy and overcast for a lot of your time in Alaska. I wouldn't let it stop you from doing things that you want to do and enjoy.

Not at all worried about light rain/drizzle. Thinking more about all out downpours. Not sure if that would be just a come and go thing or an all day miserable rain. It's the raining so hard you really can't see that I'm trying to come up with back up plans for.

Not at all worried about light rain/drizzle. Thinking more about all out downpours. Not sure if that would be just a come and go thing or an all day miserable rain. It's the raining so hard you really can't see that I'm trying to come up with back up plans for.

There are museums and historic buildings in all ports.

I think the posters have given you some great ideas. The weather is fickle but you need to weigh the amount of rainy weather garb against what you plan to do. If you are going to hike, obviously you need more protection. If you are walking through the towns, a slicker and umbrella will do fine. Fog is usually a problem in the mornings so try and take the mid-day White Pass Summit RailRoad. We planned for the worst weather in September and ended up with decent weather. I can promise you that it will be quite cool . I took a fleece jacket that I could layer over sweatshirts and sweaters if needed. It was perfect. I could then layer my slicker over that in the event of rain. Fog is your worst enemy as it takes away the one thing you go to Alaska to see...the scenery. Rain...is ok. The beauty is still there. I can tell you that our land tour into Denali for 5 days was perfectly clear allowing us to see Mt. McKinley and the spectacular northern lights.

Don't let the possiblility of bad weather scare you. You will love Alaska and want to return.

I think the posters have given you some great ideas. The weather is fickle but you need to weigh the amount of rainy weather garb against what you plan to do. If you are going to hike, obviously you need more protection. If you are walking through the towns, a slicker and umbrella will do fine. Fog is usually a problem in the mornings so try and take the mid-day White Pass Summit RailRoad. We planned for the worst weather in September and ended up with decent weather. I can promise you that it will be quite cool . I took a fleece jacket that I could layer over sweatshirts and sweaters if needed. It was perfect. I could then layer my slicker over that in the event of rain. Fog is your worst enemy as it takes away the one thing you go to Alaska to see...the scenery. Rain...is ok. The beauty is still there. I can tell you that our land tour into Denali for 5 days was perfectly clear allowing us to see Mt. McKinley and the spectacular northern lights.

Don't let the possiblility of bad weather scare you. You will love Alaska and want to return.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm sure we'll love it. One of the reasons for back up plans for all possibilities. :)

We bought Coleman rain jackets in a pouch at our local Walmart in the camping section. Also got some rain pants to go over our regular pants. Came in handy when we went on the whale watch, and around Mendenhall glacier in Juneau. Could get right out on deck rather stay behind the wet windows. :) Also had waterproofed our sneakers and hiking shoes before leaving on the trip.

dwmnc1959,

Thanks for posting your pictures. They are really good, so colorful! Do you have a fancy camera or use any special settings? If I can get pictures like that in the rain, I'd be thrilled!

The camera used back then was a SONY Mavica CD-300 3.3 megapixel. It was a really great unique camera which used a small compact disck instead of a memory card. A 10-pk of CD's for the camera cost around $14. At the time of purchase it was a $900 camera but you can get them on eBay now for around $75.

My current digital camera, a 12 megapixel Olympus SP-600UZ, takes great pictures and cost about $125 off of HSN.

Here's a link to some photosets from my last two cruises using the Olympus.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57377062@N04/sets/

Everyone has a personal preference in name brand or ease of use. I picked this one for both reasons. I mainly use the AUTO feature and just point and shoot. :D

We were on Coral Princess last Sept and the only excursion cancelled was the Harv & Marv whale watching out of Juneau due to VERY heavy rain and wind. We didn't want to waste the visit despite the weather, so we took a ship excursion to downtown, Salmon hatchery and Mendenhall. Was nice but very low key. We later found out the ship whale watching excursion went out since they had a larger boat. Oh well....hopefully whale watching next time. The key, as others have mentioned, is to dress for every type of weather and don't let it stop you, as you don't know if you'll "pass this way again." :) Enjoy your trip!

Is your rain gear breathable as well? Sounds like a trip to REI may be in order.

It must be because it very comfortable. It just makes an extra jacket for me over my fleece and I can wear it anytime even if it isn't raining. It also gives some wind protection. I wore the pants and jacket when we went out on the ocean in a small boat so I didn't have to worry about getting wet!

My husband wears his rain pants over his golf pants on cold days so he can take them off if it gets hot.

My current digital camera, a 12 megapixel Olympus SP-600UZ, takes great pictures and cost about $125 off of HSN.

Here's a link to some photosets from my last two cruises using the Olympus.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57377062@N04/sets/

Everyone has a personal preference in name brand or ease of use. I picked this one for both reasons. I mainly use the AUTO feature and just point and shoot. :D

Your pictures are very good. I have an Olympus TG-610. It has 14 mexapixels but not as much zoom as yours. Other specs look same. I like that you did mainly point and shoot. I just got this camera for Christmas so am hoping for good pictures. May just have to be a little closer than you to get some of the shots.

Your pictures are very good. I have an Olympus TG-610. It has 14 mexapixels but not as much zoom as yours. Other specs look same. I like that you did mainly point and shoot. I just got this camera for Christmas so am hoping for good pictures. May just have to be a little closer than you to get some of the shots.

One thing I've always told people before taking a new camera to Alaska is to 'test drive' it. Take it on small picture taking trips around town, take pictures at a local park, take pictures from dusk to dawn in all kinds of lighting and cloud cover, and take pictures indoors with and without flash. At least your not paying the cost to have all these test shots developed like in the old days of 35mm film.

On my first few trips to Alaska (before my first digital camera) I would haul over 50 rolls of film and out of 1,800 pictures hope that 1/4 of them came out really nice. Now in the age of digital cameras your can see the results immediately and delete the ones you don't like and retake them right away.

Archived