Have you had to cancel a cruise?

Cupcrazy

Today I'm a little sad. I was supposed to be boarding the Oasis today for the start of a B2B cruise. We had cancelled because my brother & SIL had a baby. Since newborns can't cruise and we all wanted to do the Oasis together for the first time, we decided to cancel and wait. I was dreading this day because I knew it would be a little sad. So I sit here at work on a Saturday watching the Oasis of the Seas Mighty Ships episode as well as watching live pictures on the Port Everglades webcam. Needless to say I'm not getting much work done. That part I'm not so sad about.

We had to cancel a cruise this past Nov 14th when my sister found out she had the beginning stages of Breast Cancer. The week we were suppost to be on the cruise she started what was the first of thirty-two treatments of radiation.

Here is another example of why cruise insurance is a very good idea.

:( I feel your sadness. I found out yesterday I have to have surgery that will prevent me from traveling on our cruise in 42 days.

Here's a quote that I've been using: "I had plans, but God had a better one".

I'll be back on the seas soon....

:( i feel your sadness. I found out yesterday i have to have surgery that will prevent me from traveling on our cruise in 42 days.

Here's a quote that i've been using: "i had plans, but god had a better one".

I'll be back on the seas soon....

love the quote - exactly right :)

I had to cancel a cruise last year due to work. I was the only cleared for the project and it had huge delays. I was at home sick with pneumonia when my cruise was sailing. I rescheduled the same cruise and will sail in 2 weeks. I have no obstacles yet for this cruise.

I scheduled a tulip-time river cruise a few years ago but the weekend before I was scheduled to leave, my Mom was hospitalized (she lived two hours away). I knew I would not be able to enjoy myself, even though she and Dad told me to go... so I cancelled. I had booked airfare and hotel thru expedia and they worked things out so I got a credit for airfare plus a coupon for the price of the hotel, since the hotel would not refund. Travel insurance took care of the rest. I will see the tulips someday, I know!

But just remember, you will be able to watch the baby grow up and maybe take him/her on that Oasis cruise! Sounds like an okay trade-off to me!

Liz

Mine and DH 25th Anniversary was suppose to be spent on Freedom of the Seas Sept 01, 2010. Daughter was diagnosed with cronic Crohn's disease and had to have her colon removed. Had to cancel. Rebooked for 2011 anniversary. She had to have 3 surgeries in one week, Spent a month in ICU, 3 weeks of it on a ventilator. Canceled again. Re booking for August of this year. Keep us in your prayers.;)

But just remember, you will be able to watch the baby grow up and maybe take him/her on that Oasis cruise! Sounds like an okay trade-off to me!

Liz

After reading everyones comments about cancelling I feel bad for feeling bad. My reason for canceling isn't so bad. Everyone who is sick I hope is better!!

I had to cancel, but for a good reason. We were supposed to go on a 12-nighter out of Baltimore on the Enchantment on January 16th. Booked last spring, but got a job in the fall teaching 4th grade 3 miles from my house. So, had to cancel, but rebooked for Spring Break on the Crown Princess... first time straying from RCI since 1984... RCI prices were just too $$$ for places in the Carib we hadn't been.

Turns out we would have gotten off the Enchantment today. Told my hubby that although we were a little sad 2 weeks ago, at least we still have a cruise to look forward to!

Mine and DH 25th Anniversary was suppose to be spent on Freedom of the Seas Sept 01, 2010. Daughter was diagnosed with cronic Crohn's disease and had to have her colon removed. Had to cancel. Rebooked for 2011 anniversary. She had to have 3 surgeries in one week, Spent a month in ICU, 3 weeks of it on a ventilator. Canceled again. Re booking for August of this year. Keep us in your prayers.;)

Bless her heart. You and she are in our prayers and hope you have happy sailings soon.

Has anyone had to cancel one person (out of three) on a cruise????

I have a foster child and we are trying to get permission for him to travel...but it is possible that he may be returned to his parents by summer...we are in limbo..if we book for 3, can we cancel him if we must????:confused::confused:

I had to cancel a couple of years ago just a few days before I was supposed to board the ship. My brother was killed in an automobile accident on Black Friday so, instead of having a great cruise, DH and I boarded a plane to fly to the funeral. And I have to say kudos to Royal Caribbean. We did NOT have insurance but they reimbursed us the entire cost. The only thing they required was either the death certificate or the obituary with my name listed as a sibling. I couldn't believe that we got a full refund. I called to cancel the cruise and, just for the heck of it, I asked if there was any way to get a credit. That's when I was told that they would refund the cost. I was surprised and pleased at the same time.

We had to cancel a cruise twice do to deaths. 2006 my dad died suddenly 2 weeks before we were to sail. My sister and her husband were going with me and my husband. My sister and her dh went, but we didn't. I live close to my mom, so there was no way I'd go. My sister would email me from the ship about how the cruise was going. I felt bad that I wasn't there, but I know I wouldn't enjoy myself. She also felt bad being there.

Almost 3 yrs. ago this June, our daughter died suddenly, 2 wks before sailing. She was also going. Of course we didn't go. I felt bad that she never got to go. My grief counselor reminded me that 90% was anticipation of going, so at least she had that.

We had insurance in both cases. We have cruised since. Just think, in 2 wks. it'll be over and you'll have the excitement of planning another cruise. There will be a next time!

We had to postpone. We originally booked for last April, and had to reschedule for November. When April 28th came along, I was very sad and read all the live reports. But when May 6th rolled by, I was happy to still be looking forward to my trip :)

Yes, in 2004 my husband passed away 2 weeks before our Sailing...I had to cancel 2 cruises..the one for 2 weeks away..and one for the Panama Canal we had booked for the following April...thank goodness I had insurance for the 1st one...

So many sad stories! I'm keeping you all in my prayers! OP- such a wonderful attitude you have...knowing that your "missed cruise" is for a joyful reason! Your niece/nephew will love the carousel one day;)

We've not had to cancel a trip, but always have insurance, because of older relatives. The closest we've every come was my DH had heart surgery in March of the year we had booked a three week AK cruise and trip. He's a young guy, so we knew we had a good chance of him being well enough, but we also knew complications can happen. Luckily, he worked hard and we were mountain biking in Denali and kayaking on Skilak lake in late June:D

My mother, sister and I were set for an Alaska cruise when a few weeks before we were to leave our mother was hospitalized and we had to cancel. We had insurance and everything was refunded. Then my sister and I were set to cruise this March but we had to cancel as the cruise dates would fall right in the middle of my radiation treatments. Although we had insurance, we cancelled about 5 days prior to final payment due date, so it was all refunded directly by RCCL. We rescheduled for this October.:)

Oh, yes, I am well aware of having to cancel. Happened to us, we were booked for December 2010 on the Caribbean Princess out of San Juan, that November, wife got a job as a Kitchen SGT for Texas Department of Corrections, and we had to cancel. I had plans, planned all year long, and it happened. What could I do but cancel. Happened again, January 2012, happened to book on Mariner of the Seas with Royal Caribbean, wife had problems with her job, worked the problems, and continued, but changed positions, this forced the cancellation of that cruise. Again I was highly upset, but what could I do, but book again, this one for 13 January 2013 on Mariner of Seas out of Galveston, So what you do, is book another, as soon as possible. Helps eliminate the pain, and plan again. Because this time I am going. Last cruise we were on was May 2012 on the Victory out of San Juan, Carnival.

We had to cancel a cruise a few years ago due to my husband being admitted to the hospital. We were 5 days from boarding. It was very hard for us because it was a group cruise with all our friends. Luckily we had insurance and got a full refund and have taken many wonderful cruises since.

Archived