bathing beauties only?

firstcruiserDB

My coworkers mentioned today that they'd never be able to go on a cruise because they look terrible in a swimsuit!

They don't know that my husband and I are going on our first cruise in June to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We certainly aren't "bathing beauties", and now I'm worried! Must we be "model-like" to sit by the pool on a cruise?? Please tell me it isn't so!

I, myself, am a fluffy person and have had the BEST time on our cruises. I am sunning on those sea days, and love going to the beaches and snorkeling. You will see all types on the ship and on the beaches. As Ruth said, go, enjoy! You will have a marvelous time.

Michelle

Being middle-aged parents of three, DH and I don't exactly qualify as "model" material - but based on the folks we saw last year, we're in good company! The important thing is to do things you like and enjoy yourself!

My hubby and I both are plus size but it didn't stop us from having a good time. We hit the pools, hot tubs and even swam with the stingrays. Don't worry about what other people think. Besides, what the chance that you'll ever see any of those people again. Their opinion doesn't matter. Have a good time.

If "model-like bathing beauties" were the only people who cruised, the ships would be extremely empty!:eek: Go and have a great time. I cruise with the thought that I'll never see any of these people again and don't care what they think of my "not so perfect" body.:D I'm not there to impress them, I'm there to have a good time.:cool:

Oh my goodness . . . don't ever let your weight (too much or too little) make you feel bad about being seen in a bathing suit. You will see a broad section of America on every cruise . . . those (such as myself) that are a little "fluffy" to those that are extremely "fluffy" . . . and those that are pencil thin . . . and everything in between. Cruise . . . enjoy . . . and know that there is probably no one on your cruise that looks anything like the models in the fashion magazines.

FirstcruiserDB:

Take a leisurely stroll through your local shopping mall, looking at all the different body types who go shopping - that will give you a good idea what kind of "bathing beauties" you will see aboard a cruise ship. Take a swimsuit that fits you properly and go on deck and enjoy yourself. It is your holiday and you shouldn't be made to feel you are a second class citizen because your body isn't as slim or trim as you'd like.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

My coworkers mentioned today that they'd never be able to go on a cruise because they look terrible in a swimsuit!

They don't know that my husband and I are going on our first cruise in June to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We certainly aren't "bathing beauties", and now I'm worried! Must we be "model-like" to sit by the pool on a cruise?? Please tell me it isn't so!

IT ISN'T SO

I'm a 50 yo male my hair is thin on top (O.K. no hair on top) 35 to 40 pounds overweight, is my wife overweight I really don't think so but you would have to ask her. my point is we had no problem on our cruise..

Remember the end of the movie "revenge of the nerds" where the nerds get even with the beutiful people and one of them say

"there are a lot more of us than there are of you"

trust me and everyone who will say there is nothing to worry about..

Have a great cruise, and I know you will

Bob P.

There are definitely some attractive people by the pool on cruises, however the majority are your typical person, little overweight, don't work out enough, eat what we like to eat...especially on vacation, and enjoying our trip.

The real "model types" wouldn't be on any regular cruise anyway, they are on chartered yachts, hanging out in South Beach and St. Barts.

Find yourself a comfortable swimsuit that doesn't make you self conscious and have a great trip!!

You don't have to worry at all, being in my mid 20's and fluffy, I was extremely nervous on our first cruise, since most girls my age are stick thin and won't eat because it might make them gain weight on their pinkie toe. I felt extremely welcomed and didn't feel out of place on the ship. There is every type of body shape and size.

Oh honestly!! Please do not let a bunch of "office yip yap" stop you from having the most wonderful time of your life!!!! Poo on them and their concerns. You will be fine and if only model thin people traveled.... well you will not be alone!

Drag out that bathing suit and have fun. Believe me there are all shapes and sizes on a cruise. And like that old saying says they will never see you again so go have fun.

marilyn

When I first read this, my reaction was, how can you not talk about it? I am so excited about going, I can't wait. My second reaction is don't let that stop you. I am over weight and love the sun. I will be out on the deck.:D You will see all sizes and shapes!

I am a former competitive swimmer of many years, but my speedo days are well behind me. Wife, while beautiful to me, 2 kids and 20 years after we met, is not the same size or shape either. I would say while there were some nubile high school and college girls and guys showing off their abs, there were a heck of a lot more of us of varying shapes and sizes.

Go and have fun. I saw so many varied body types, it is hard for me to imagine anyone who would not just blend in with all the rest.

Your co-workers don't have a friggin' clue about what goes on with a cruise--they obviously have never been on one because if they had, they wouldn't have made such a silly, and insulting comment. You see all types, ages and sizes. I've seen ladies who were in their 70's, size 20, wearing bikinis.

You will have an amazing time. Just do us all a favor. Take a lot of pictures by the pool and show them to your co-workers. You need to prove to them that their uninformed opinions are dead wrong. The old TV show Love Boat is probably where they got these ideas that bikini-clad models were the only ones on cruise ships, and we all know TV isn't a bastion of reality.

If you are to believe the advertisements and brochures put out by the cruiselines, only attractive twenty-something hardbodies, distinguished older people and lovely families with two above-average and well-behaved children go on cruises. All of whom are stunningly and appropriately dressed at all times, of course. Phooey! As someone said earlier, you won't see many models on your cruise. You're going to see a lot of people in swimsuits, who by hoity-toidy standards, shouldn't be wearing them. You're going to see some people in swimsuits, who by ANY standards, probably shouldn't be wearing them. But they'll all be having a good time and probably won't notice and most likely couldn't care less about what anyone else is wearing or how they look. Enjoy!

There are all sizes and shapes on the cruise and everone does whatever they want - so feel free to put on your suit and enjoy the pool. Or do any activity you want - after all you are paying for this cruise - so forget about your co workers comments and enjoy! By the way, we have been on 4 cruises and I have seem very few model like people on them - most are every day people.

:) Thanks so much! I feel so much better now. I really appreciate all of you who took the time to tell me just what I already knew! I truly don't care if other people believe I shouldn't be in a swimsuit....I'm on vacation and I'm going to enjoy it! :) 72 days and counting!

THANKS, AGAIN! Cruise Critic is absolutely wonderful for the new cruiser!

Archived