Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

Out of deference to the victims, this journalist should be forced to watch this video of the names of photos of the dead and missing non-stop for a week or two:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMYVatDXUUE

Since there were only about 120 Americans on the ship versus around 3000 passengers, it is hardly about Americans.

Those that are scheduled to take a cruise in the future don't need to read about the Al-Qaeda references.

Shame on you Ron Hart! :(

what an utterly sad video......but its reality. Thank you for sharing.

I couldn't find a second source but what the heck, I'll leave it to y'all to decide if there's any truth to it.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8414406

I can't imagine why the judge would change her mind at this stage. She put him in house arrest since she felt there was no reason to believe he was a flight risk. We haven't heard of anything that would indicate he isn't just sitting in his flat like a good boy.

I don't know much about the Italian legal system, though.

Article just published: Schettino facing 2,697 years in jail? If someone here is fluent in Italian could you verify this is what it says? Not looking good for the captain.

http://corrierefiorentino.corriere.it/firenze/notizie/cronaca/2012/4-febbraio-2012/schettino-accusa-fa-conti-in-carcere-2697-anni-1903139997568.shtml

Hmm. I'm trying to get my head around this one. I think in the UK the maximum sentence is ''Life', which can mean a long time or not much time at all, or 'indeterminate - to be released only when public safety can be assured', which means pretty much the same as 'life'.

Maybe they do things differently in Italy? And, of course, he may be found to be innocent of whatever charges, .... ..but supposing he is found guilty....... 2, 697 years in jail?? Will they embalm his corpse when he expires after the first 40 -50 years or so?

Wouldn't one year in jail sharing a cell with Silvio Berlusconi followed by a life sentence of home confinement with Mrs Schettino be a much more fitting and terrifying prospect? Could the beleagured Italian economy afford to keep him in security and feed him for so long?

I can just imagine the following dinner conversation in about 2, 650 years time:

"Did you have a hard day in the cosmic thought transference laboratory today, Zuchos?"

"Not bad, Cafella. That Rifini really irritates me, though, ......gets up my nostril, always splashing his wealth around. Now, he's just bought a 3 zillion inter-planetary orbitor. And there was a long line to get on the shuttle commute back to Extra-Planetary Commune Bellavista, as usual.

How were things at home?"

"Oh, fine, Zuchos. But you know we had a funny delivery today. A guy turned up with this time-capsule thingy......says it contains the embalmed corpse of a sea captain, ... called ****ino or something ......who died in some jail on earth a couple of millenia ago after being there for sinking his ship. Says we're the nearest relatives that can be traced, so now he belongs to us!

What are we going to do with him?"

"Well, that's a real problem, Cafella. You know how strongly our new Planetary Sector Leader, Hewi the 5th feels about eliminating nostalgia for the time that people could live on earth, before we all departed and left it to the Recyclers? He'd be really annoyed if we hung on to an ancient artefact belonging to that ancient pre-cosmic civilisation that existed when the Mediterranean was one continuous sea, long before the African plate collided with Earth's Eurasian crust..........

I really don't think we can give this Schitino relic capsule space. I'll just drop into the next trash projectile going out to interstellar garbage area No. 1990. Its due to lift off tomorrow.

Can't say I like the taste of these pseudo-gnochhi cutures from the inter-planetary hypermarche, Cafella.... and isn't it tomorrow we have to put the milk bottles out into the decompression chamber to get the next lunotic year's supply?"

With apologies to all sci-fi enthusiasts!!

Lifeterm in the UK is a Joke and is usually 30 years! but it can also mean people are let out earlier as well, some are given life but told to serve 20 years! ... Detaining someone at Her Majestys pleasure is ususally the one where someone will never get out.

Hmm. I'm trying to get my head around this one. I think in the UK the maximum sentence is ''Life', which can mean a long time or not much time at all, or 'indeterminate - to be released only when public safety can be assured', which means pretty much the same as 'life'. (SNIP......)

Can't say I like the taste of these pseudo-gnochhi cutures from the inter-planetary hypermarche, Cafella.... and isn't it tomorrow we have to put the milk bottles out into the decompression chamber to get the next lunotic year's supply?"

Tragic but funny

G'day to all my "table companions". I thought that when the original thread was closed that I wouldn't have a chance to say hi (or bye) to the posters. I see that you are still sticking to your guns. I must say that I do support Milaandra and her strong conviction that a lot of what we base our views upon can be from questionable media. Nice to see that my old mate Uniall is still here as well as Charlie, Micki,Daveyjones,IRL Joanie and all the others with whom I feel very comfortable sharing a good round table discussion.

Now that I have found this new thread I'll be in trouble for spending too much time at the computer ( its now 1.15am!!) .

Looking forward to more from you all.:)

I saw the link to the TV doco on this tragic event and still think that the roller idea on the ship sides of the life rafts would be a simple modification that may allow for safer deployment of the life boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RSZEXCnrYE&feature=related

at 7.50 they talk about/ show the life boats getting stuck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwJ7Ph10vrQ&feature=related

at 4.50 again the stuck life boat could be helped by the roller idea.

Welcome back!!

Good to have you back with us on the thread:)

I will be AFK for most of the morning as I have a Podiatry appointment in about an hour:(

Can one of my fellow enthusiasts for the truth find somewhere that we, non Canadians can watch The 5th Estate's Wreck of The Concordia????

No matter how hard I search, I have had no luck:(

Joanie

I can't imagine why the judge would change her mind at this stage. She put him in house arrest since she felt there was no reason to believe he was a flight risk. We haven't heard of anything that would indicate he isn't just sitting in his flat like a good boy.

I don't know much about the Italian legal system, though.

Here's a different story, with a bit more info, on the house arrest story.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/06/world/europe/italy-cruise-ship/index.html

Work that started this morning on fuel removal has been halted. In an update for this article, winds have picked up and choppy seas are expected once again.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/story/2012-02-05/Preparation-resumes-for-Italian-ships-oil-removal/52973228/1

But today I read that the works of the preperation have been resumed! ;)

For the prepaertion they need one day and for the heating of the oil one more day - so I think at Wednesday the pumping out process will begin entirely - than they will pump around the clock.

Here's a different story, with a bit more info, on the house arrest story.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/06/world/europe/italy-cruise-ship/index.html

That article was particularly interesting because of its tone and the different interpretation it puts on the "falling into the lifeboat" testimony. It actually seems to be written without bias. Thanks for posting it.

Hmm. I'm trying to get my head around this one. I think in the UK the maximum sentence is ''Life', which can mean a long time or not much time at all, or 'indeterminate - to be released only when public safety can be assured', which means pretty much the same as 'life'.

Maybe they do things differently in Italy? And, of course, he may be found to be innocent of whatever charges, .... ..but supposing he is found guilty....... 2, 697 years in jail?? Will they embalm his corpse when he expires after the first 40 -50 years or so?

Wouldn't one year in jail sharing a cell with Silvio Berlusconi followed by a life sentence of home confinement with Mrs Schettino be a much more fitting and terrifying prospect? Could the beleagured Italian economy afford to keep him in security and feed him for so long?

I can just imagine the following dinner conversation in about 2, 650 years time:

"Did you have a hard day in the cosmic thought transference laboratory today, Zuchos?"

"Not bad, Cafella. That Rifini really irritates me, though, ......gets up my nostril, always splashing his wealth around. Now, he's just bought a 3 zillion inter-planetary orbitor. And there was a long line to get on the shuttle commute back to Extra-Planetary Commune Bellavista, as usual.

How were things at home?"

"Oh, fine, Zuchos. But you know we had a funny delivery today. A guy turned up with this time-capsule thingy......says it contains the embalmed corpse of a sea captain, ... called ****ino or something ......who died in some jail on earth a couple of millenia ago after being there for sinking his ship. Says we're the nearest relatives that can be traced, so now he belongs to us!

What are we going to do with him?"

"Well, that's a real problem, Cafella. You know how strongly our new Planetary Sector Leader, Hewi the 5th feels about eliminating nostalgia for the time that people could live on earth, before we all departed and left it to the Recyclers? He'd be really annoyed if we hung on to an ancient artefact belonging to that ancient pre-cosmic civilisation that existed when the Mediterranean was one continuous sea, long before the African plate collided with Earth's Eurasian crust..........

I really don't think we can give this Schitino relic capsule space. I'll just drop into the next trash projectile going out to interstellar garbage area No. 1990. Its due to lift off tomorrow.

:) a life sentence in the UK means whats on the tin, after a term of confinement you may apply for parole(one criteria is the prisoner must admit guilt and show remorse) whilst on parole for the rest of your life if you commit another crime you are returned to prison to continue the original sentence of life.

Personally I would return Shettino to clink for his own safety, I'm thinking suicide, his wife and a loud bang if he starts singing like a bird.

This article may interest the right wing hang em high brigade http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/feb/05/daily-mail-calls-rightwingers-stupid?newsfeed=true

Can one of my fellow enthusiasts for the truth find somewhere that we, non Canadians can watch The 5th Estate's Wreck of The Concordia????

No matter how hard I search, I have had no luck:(

Joanie

You've probably read the thread on 5th Estate and know this, non Canadians can't watch the whole show. The only thing we can watch is various interviews.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2011-2012/thewreckofthecostaconcordia/

Using the yellow column to the right of the video screen, we can watch everything in that row, except the "watch episode."

Cupcrazy, the person that started the thread has offered to watch and see if any portion of the show makes it to you tube but so far it hasn't. It's a bummer for us because it sounds like it was a good show. :(

But today I read that the works of the preperation have been resumed! ;)

For the prepaertion they need one day and for the heating of the oil one more day - so I think at Wednesday the pumping out process will begin entirely - than they will pump around the clock.

It had restarted on Sunday but then was halted again because of wind gusts expected today. Looking at the webcam from Giglio, the rig for fuel removal prep that we can usually see is not next to the ship today.

Interesting to hear what this Captain says about his responsibilities particularly in regard to being Celebrity's representative aboard and also for being responsible to every soul on board.

He and his bridge fit my idea of how it should be done. A couple of weeks on & I am still shocked about Schettino's actions and those of his officers.

You've probably read the thread on 5th Estate and know this, non Canadians can't watch the whole show. The only thing we can watch is various interviews.

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2011-2012/thewreckofthecostaconcordia/

On the thread dedicated to the show, someone has posted mp3s of the audio. There was only one part where we really missed video.

I have just had a quick last look at the Giglio web cam that shows the Costa Concordia and its a very haunting scene.

You can just see the forward section of the ship and then its engulfed in darkness. You then think about all those poor souls onboard walking the ship, those poor souls wanting their peace and rest.

I hope that within the next week or so as they manage to do some recovery on the ship for the fuel that some of them are disturbed and are found by the salvors/recovery teams.

It really puts things in perspective.

rgds

Interesting to hear what this Captain says about his responsibilities particularly in regard to being Celebrity's representative aboard and also for being responsible to every soul on board.

He and his bridge fit my idea of how it should be done. A couple of weeks on & I am still shocked about Schettino's actions and those of his officers.

I have to agree with you. This conforms to my experiences aboard ship, and believe that what happened on the Concordia was far from the normal way of conducting operations on the bridge.

I have just had a quick last look at the Giglio web cam that shows the Costa Concordia and its a very haunting scene.

You can just see the forward section of the ship and then its engulfed in darkness. You then think about all those poor souls onboard walking the ship, those poor souls wanting their peace and rest.

I hope that within the next week or so as they manage to do some recovery on the ship for the fuel that some of them are disturbed and are found by the salvors/recovery teams.

It really puts things in perspective.

rgds

I have wondered if the rough seas (whitecap waves) have been enough to move around the water inside the ship through the various openings to allow for the missing to be found now.

I haven't posed my thoughts prior to now because I wasn't sure how to ask it, keeping with respect to those still missing.

I do recall reading a few weeks ago that rescue/recovery people have wondered if there could be some missing under the ship. That is just so horrible to imagine.

I continue to pray that all the missing are found.

Thanks for the link. Between this accident, the viruses, strikes and Ron Hart talking about terrorists we should be able to cruise for free pretty soon! :D

P.S. RH started innocuous enough but OD'd when he got to the part of giving ideas to our enemies. He should have quit while he was still ahead. :)

Here is an article describing the effect this accident has had on bookings ...

http://www.nj.com/business/index.ssf/2012/02/costa_concordia_disaster_crash.html

Archived