Costa Concordia SINKING!

cruiserfanfromct

Just noticed a photo for the first time of the First Officer, who I may be calling Chicken Number 2.....

• FrancescoSchettinoitalycruise.jpg
    Jan. 27, 2012: Costa Concordia cruise ship first officer Ciro Ambrosio, center, leaves the prosecutor's office after being heard in regard to the cruise ship's grounding off the Tuscan island of Giglio in Grosseto, Italy.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/02/06/italian-court-to-rule-by-thursday-on-shipwreck-captains-bail-conditions/#ixzz1lctBVtRG

Lifeterm in the UK is a Joke and is usually 30 years! but it can also mean people are let out earlier as well, some are given life but told to serve 20 years! ... Detaining someone at Her Majestys pleasure is ususally the one where someone will never get out.

Yes, life is 30 years, but with good behaviour is usually reduced to 15 years. Unless you are: a Moors murderer, the black panther, peter sutcliffe (I refuse to give them capital letters). Justice is a joke in the UK, along with one or two other things I could mention.

In the interests of a little levity I report this interesting view.

I spoke with a long time and dear female friend who grew up in Chicago's Little Italy. Her uncles were purportedly members of "The Outfit" (strictly a Chicago term). I mention this to pre-empt any flame thrower attacks that I'm a sexist or over generalizing. :eek:

She said a proper "Italian" punishment would be a lifetime ban on his expected right to spend Friday nights with his mistress. Then, add Friday to the standard Saturday night with his wife and add Monday thru Thursday to the standard Sunday night with the family. :p

John

I've read the article. I just disagree with what is causing the lower bookings. I think the European economy (particularly Italy's) is and will have a larger effect on the future business of Costa. You can bet "hotdogging" will be eliminated from the possibilities a captain can perform on his own.

As it affects other cruise lines and with all due respect to the victims of this tragedy, this was, for cruising in general, a huge ANOMALY. I can see "first-timers", especially those that have a basic uneasiness with cruising, oceans, water, etc., being somewhat affected by this, but I think the overall cruising demographic sees this as ONE stupid act by ONE stupid captain on ONE ship out of HUNDREDS OF SHIPS. Hardly something that points to an overall "newly found danger" in cruising.

Nat Geo will soon air a new documentary on the Costa Concordia

Set to premiere Sunday, Feb. 12, at 7 p.m., with an encore on Monday, Feb. 13, at 10 p.m., Nat Geo's Italian Cruise Ship Disaster: The Untold Stories will weave accounts of the tragedy from passengers, crew members and the Coast Guard and feature never-before-seen video and CGI to reconstruct the ship's sinking as it happened.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/national-geographic-costa-concordia-documentary-287275

Just received this email from the 5th Estate to my inquiry on the availability of the Costa documentary in the United States:

Thank you for your email to the fifth estate.

Unfortunately, due to rights issues, our program is not available outside of Canada. We're sorry for the inconvenience. You can visit the webfeature online, and there is also information on ordering copies of our program there. You'll find us at:

http://www.cbc.ca/fifth

We're sorry we don't have better news, but thank you for taking the time to write.

the fifth estate team

Bummer! :(

No they are nut guilty and they didn't disturb the captain... ;)

I think some people are putting far too much blame on this girl without any evidence to support it. In my opinion.....no matter what she was doing...whether it was having dinner with the Captain or standing on the bridge with him when the accident happened....its his fault not hers. He's the person who is responsible for the safety of the ship and everyone aboard...not her. Schettino is the person that carries the blame for all this. No matter where he was or what he was doing....he's the person who's going to have to carry this burden....though I have no doubt his lawyers are currently scrambling to come up with some sort of alibi. I don't particularly feel that he should be in jail at this point. If this had happened in the US he would be out on bail.....they would probably pull his passport....but he wouldn't be in jail. I think the odds are very high that eventually he will reside in one though.

No they are nut guilty and they didn't disturb the captain... ;)

According to the reported testimony of the third officer, yes, those gentlement did disturb the captain. However, that testimony didn't mention the blonde at all.

So...does that change your opinion?

If the maitre d' and purser did disturb the captain, should they be in jail?

IL Tirreno Grosseto has some interesting articles (translated from Goggle) about Captain Schettino and the Costa Concordia Sinking. This one caught my eye about Mario Palombo

http://iltirreno.gelocal.it/grosseto/cronaca/2011/10/26/news/droga-in-cambio-di-sesso-1.2764092

Is that link correct? When google translated it, it was an article about some sort of drug crime.

doh! Just saw your post.

According to the reported testimony of the third officer, yes, those gentlement did disturb the captain. However, that testimony didn't mention the blonde at all.

So...does that change your opinion?

If the maitre d' and purser did disturb the captain, should they be in jail?

I think Celebrity Fan was wrong to suggest that 'the blonde' should be jailed alongside Schettino. She had the status of being an on-board guest. She had no responsibility for the ship and its safety. Nor have I seen any suggestion or evidence of any criminal conduct on he part.

However, whilst only the court testimony can finally determine, it seems disingenuous to suggest that the maitre d', the purser and the 'the blonde' all posed a similar level of distraction to Schettino. I don't go in for all the protracted reading of reports that industrious posters such as yourself undertake, Millandra. However,my clear impression is that there are very many reports of Schettino and 'the blonde' being together, in the short period of time before the crash, at a drinks reception, at dinner, around the ship, on the bridge, possibly in his cabin (depending on identification of objects found there) and it does seem (to many of us!) to point to a scale of influence that was severely impacting upon Schettino's judgement and reasoning.

I have seen reports that Schettino may have been distracted by the maitre d'and/or the purser (and others too?) but not that either of these two, or any one else, were so constantly seen in his company. If, for whatever reason,your mind is not fully on your job, as it should be, your communication and relationship with many others will also be affected and you may be more likely to be distracted by them as a result?

Nat Geo will soon air a new documentary on the Costa Concordia

On our original thread on this subject Nat Geo had someone come on and ask for survivors etc to contact them. She/he said it would be airing in the Spring, wow this is alot earlier than expected!!

I know they will do a great job.

Thanks for letting us know

Joanie

Unless the blonde was standing right in front of him at the helm

with her baps out shaking them deliberately to distract him

I see no reason to jail her.

She was invited as a guest on to the bridge.

I'm sure she's not the first cutie to ever grace Schettino's bridge (or any other Captain's)

You're welcome Joanie. Also, the Discovery Channel is working on a documentary about the Concordia as well. They haven't released the day and time of when it will air yet but as soon as I hear, I'll post it here.

On our original thread on this subject Nat Geo had someone come on and ask for survivors etc to contact them. She/he said it would be airing in the Spring, wow this is alot earlier than expected!!

I know they will do a great job.

Thanks for letting us know

Joanie

If the company's official course had been followed, this thread would not exist!

Was it, at Costa Corporates request to change course....to head toward the Island of Giglio? Or was it the only person onboard that could make such a command.........the Captain?

That is what started the chain of events. Nothing else, not the girl, the Maitre'd, the Staff Captain, or the laundry boy!

A captain, or other high officers of the bridge, will deviate from a known course, to NOT endanger the ship to other oncoming ships, hurricanes, sickness requiring a helicopter rescue, or a few other items that escape me, right now.

Captains don't deviate from a corporate course......to joy ride, do "fly by's, or "show boating" as what I take happened by a totally insane captain.

Insanity certainly rules here.......he elected to "trip" into his own lifeboat, early in the abandon ship routine, rather than to stay and try to help, as a good commander would......get everyone off, as quickly and efficiently as possible. He elected to "trip" into the lifeboat in civies......not in his officers uniform! And where does he purchase new socks in the middle of the night........so he has dry socks......instead of wet ones??

Does Italy have asylum's for the insane?

I'll tell you one thing........this is going to Costa a lot for Carnival!:D

Rick

Yes, life is 30 years, but with good behaviour is usually reduced to 15 years. Unless you are: a Moors murderer, the black panther, peter sutcliffe (I refuse to give them capital letters). Justice is a joke in the UK, along with one or two other things I could mention.
and right wingers are stupid according to the Daily Mail. This must be one of the few accurate article they have included in the Snail http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/feb/05/daily-mail-calls-rightwingers-stupid?newsfeed=true

I cannot understand why posters here want to act as judge, jury and executioner based on the sensational and sometimes inaccurate, reporting from the media.

We can all speculate on guilt but it'd be wrong.

Why, I could suggest that the Captain was innocent, a victim of circumstance. Whilst the Captain was at dinner someone else changed course (maybe on the orders of Costa). When the Captain called Costa to protest about their alteration to course, they sacked him and some senior officers over the phone (why, I don't know). As he was no longer in charge of the ship, he evacuated (he took the laptop because emails on it would prove Costa at fault). This could be right, as I'd assembled it from a number of 'reliable' media reports!

But no.

Eventually, the Italian prosecution will have assembled a case for any accused to answer but, if certain posters here had their way, there'd be no trial as, any number of people would be swinging from the hanging tree or dangling from the gibbet. It's rather akin to the Spanish Inquisition, or the Pendle and Salem witch trials.

I cannot understand why posters here want to act as judge, jury and executioner based on the sensational and sometimes inaccurate, reporting from the media.

We can all speculate on guilt but it'd be wrong.

Why, I could suggest that the Captain was innocent, a victim of circumstance. Whilst the Captain was at dinner someone else changed course (maybe on the orders of Costa). When the Captain called Costa to protest about their alteration to course, they sacked him and some senior officers over the phone (why, I don't know). As he was no longer in charge of the ship, he evacuated (he took the laptop because emails on it would prove Costa at fault). This could be right, as I'd assembled it from a number of 'reliable' media reports!

But no.

Eventually, the Italian prosecution will have assembled a case for any accused to answer but, if certain posters here had their way, there'd be no trial as, any number of people would be swinging from the hanging tree or dangling from the gibbet. It's rather akin to the Spanish Inquisition, or the Pendle and Salem witch trials.

For the most part, I agree with your comments. Although I have, based on the reports and stories, pretty much concluded the Captain's gross negligence caused the deaths of many people.

Mr. Adams defended British soldiers after the Boston Massacre. Some that would have been lynched were acquitted.

Schettino does deserve a fair trial. To quote John Wayne in a movie, "Lots of people get a fair trial and still hang".

I can say, in all honesty, I could serve on an impartial jury, that only considered allowed evidence. I would deliberate fairly. I could also serve as his defense attorney, and vigorously seek an acquittal. I could preside as an impartial judge.

But I could also serve as a prosecutor, or executioner.

If one person was saved, and in the course of that saving, the integrity of crucial evidence was compromised, allowing for an acquittal, I could live with that.

A fair sentence, upon conviction, might be one week in jail for each person on board. It wouldn't matter if they were injured, killed, or were evacuated without a scratch.

Sentences would run consecutively, with 50% off the sentence upon full restitution for all damages.

Archived