Americans sailing Costa, you've been warned!

STLPilot

After all STLPilot had to say, that is the one that caught your eye?

Or better yet, stop treating everyone like a maid,

step out of line and put the cup down anywhere.

It's not like the cup had your room number on it.

Lots of cruisers have an entitlement complex.

To flip the coin though. I have had bad vacations

that snowball into disasters but we always find

ourselves laughing afterwards. Lighten up STLPilot,

your heart will thank you for it. :cool:

Um, I'm English and therefore European. I find it interesting that you post all this as a warning to Americans only as I would have been horrified had that happened to me.

Firstly we've been on two (very different) cruises only, both of them chosen for very different reasons and I'd say that if you'd had a terrible time then maybe you didn't research properly. Our first was a Fjords cruise on the Hurtigruten - because that's the way we wanted to see it and we weren't disappointed. Our second was on Celebrity and that was exactly what I expected and what I wanted.

You should research before you expect; find out the demographic, see the route, take a look at the food and the accomodation to reach your decision.

If I'm honest I was a little disappointed with the food on Celebrity, I found it a bit samey but then I'm a keen cook and food is a vice of ours so I hoped to see more variety and the other restaurants on board suited us far more. So, we found something for us amongst the mass catering options.

It's all horses for courses in the end just as a hotel is or a country even - not everything suits everybody so you can't simply say that every American should heed your warning just because your standard is something else.

After all STLPilot had to say, that is the one that caught your eye?

Well yes, to be honest that was what struck me too, (along of course with the OP's assumption that all Americans are clones, thinking, feeling & acting the same).

Why on earth would you be wandering around the ship with a coffee cup? Where did it come from? Why not leave it in the bar/restaurant it came from instead of wandering off with it & then expecting someone else to take it back for you? Then to complain when they expected someone else to take responsibilty for it. It beggars belief really, & renders the rest of the post not really worthy of consideration.

Please stop with the so called America versus the others topics. I am European and prefer cruising with American cruiselines and our own line HAL. Some people can be so narrow minded...

I am so glad having met wonderful open minded Americans. My advice to the poster, stop being such a narrow minded person before people take you serious.

HAL is our favourite cruiseline but it caters mainly for Americans and British.

Spanish and Italian lines have a reputation for poor food and bad service. Part of the Mediterranean malaise, that's why all southern European countries are in a mess.

I am English and have never sailed Costa, never will either. Heard all about the rugby scum at the buffet and the pushing and shoving.

Well yes, to be honest that was what struck me too.

Why on earth would you be wandering around the ship with a coffee cup? Where did it come from? Why not leave it in the bar/restaurant it came from instead of wandering off with it & then expecting someone else to take it back for you?

To be honest i thought the same. I would not take a coffee cup to the exit of a ship. I think the waiter's purpose at the exit is to get elderly or handicaped people safe from board and not take someones coffee cup from Deck 0 to Deck 3.

Mickey, the captain's last name was Peter Sinisi or something like that.

If the captain was very attractive then his name is Paolo Benini.. ;)

OK that is a given but is it wise to condemn an entire cruiseline because the captain screwed up? No need to answer, been down this road before.

I still stand by the post you responded to. There will be some cruisers off the Concordia that will sail Costa again.

do you really think so ?? gee whiz are they gluttons for punishment LOL ??

or are they the guys taking the cheap settlement ...maybe Costa offered a cheap cruise along with their generous good will package LOL :p

Or better yet, stop treating everyone like a maid,

step out of line and put the cup down anywhere.

It's not like the cup had your room number on it.

Lots of cruisers have an entitlement complex.

To flip the coin though. I have had bad vacations

that snowball into disasters but we always find

ourselves laughing afterwards. Lighten up STLPilot,

your heart will thank you for it. :cool:

Tehpeecoh neue yawkah

Back on topic.....

I'm American...from NYC

I'm exposed to "world-wide" cuisine. I'm not talking about the Americanized versions, but rather....the local stuff in the ethnic neighborhoods...cooked by people from "wherever". In the last month I ate at Mexican, Russian, Senegalese, Greek, Cuban and Viet Namese restaurants.

I don't understand "European vs American" food.

The only explanation I can think of is that "the heartland of America" drowns everything in butter, or fries everything....and this is what most Americans expect. (Full of fat and cholesterol......)

For the record...I haven't had a hamburger in perhaps 2 years, and I had fries once in the last year. I had steak 2 months ago...and it sat in my stomach like a dead weight for days.

Maybe our systems adjust to "what we eat"....and what we aren't used to is indigestible? And this may explain why Americans can't eat "non-American" food.

I'd like to try one of the European lines.....just for "the dog food" experience.

HAL is our favourite cruiseline but it caters mainly for Americans and British.

Spanish and Italian lines have a reputation for poor food and bad service. Part of the Mediterranean malaise, that's why all southern European countries are in a mess.

I am English and have never sailed Costa, never will either. Heard all about the rugby scum at the buffet and the pushing and shoving.

Now see. This is why I love Downton Abbey. I could totally see the Dowager Countess played by Maggie Smith nailing the delivery of this post. An arch of the eyebrows, a downcast glance at her gloves and a quick inhale for effect.

Rome versus London for splendid national cuisine? Hmmm??? ROME!!

Thanks very much for your review. We will be first time Costa passengers this coming March but we have sailed on quite a few other lines. I was so excited when we booked (thought we couldn't find an itinerary that would fit our schedule) and I started researching the Atlantica AFTER we booked. Oh boy, I did that backwards, because the word "dog food" has been used so many times, I can't even count. This is not an issue with me as I'm a light eater, but my husband is definitely a "foodie" so we'll see what happens.

Thanks also to those of you who posted positive experiences. I'm crossing my fingers hoping that our upcoming experience on the Atlantica aligns with yours. We'll see!

Back on topic.....

I'm American...from NYC

I'm exposed to "world-wide" cuisine. I'm not talking about the Americanized versions, but rather....the local stuff in the ethnic neighborhoods...cooked by people from "wherever". In the last month I ate at Mexican, Russian, Senegalese, Greek, Cuban and Viet Namese restaurants.

The only explanation I can think of is that "the heartland of America" drowns everything in butter, or fries everything....and this is what most Americans expect. (Full of fat and cholesterol......)

For the record...I haven't had a hamburger in perhaps 2 years, and I had fries once in the last year. I had steak 2 months ago...and it sat in my stomach like a dead weight for days.

Maybe our systems adjust to "what we eat"....and what we aren't used to is indigestible? And this may explain why Americans can't eat "non-American" food.

I'd like to try one of the European lines.....just for "the dog food" experience.

I've no idea what the difference is either. I rarely had pasta on Costa. It was there and delicious when I had it. I tended to eat fish selections, steaks, grilled salmon, chops and the like. They were very good and baked or grilled like we do in America. Every dinner, they offered sides of steamed vegetables, salmon, baked potatoes etc. It looked like every other cruise menu I've seen. The buffet was bursting with fresh salads, fresh fruit, various entrees (Indian, Chinese, German, Italian, etc.) with carving stations of prime rib, turkey etc. Most of the Americans I saw had heaping plates and seemed to be enjoying the food as much as everyone else. Maybe more. They could have been dogs dressed as Americans and that could explain their great appetite for the food.

I would classify some of the desserts as out of this world especially anything with chocolate. Everything was fresh. Lots of fresh fruits and pastries. A caveat would be the breakfast scrambled eggs. They were that watery European version. WTH do they do with the eggs? You see them that way in the European hotels too. Even the Norfolk in Nairobi. Must be a taste difference. We typically do not add oil to our scrambled eggs.

But no matter because four omelet stations were always going and you could have your eggs cooked to order. The ship was spotless and gorgeous. The service was the best I've had since the 90's. Better than Disney, NCL and RCI. I recall their service to be good too.

Maybe I just got very lucky on the Atlantica. I know I was not eating dog food. I know what it tastes like. I tried it once when I ate the Lean Cuisine Meatloaf which tastes exactly like canned dog food smells.

I think the overwhelming scent of anti-Italian sentiment on this board wafts about now and again and may taint some perceptions. I love Italy so maybe I'm a bit biased myself in the other direction.

I believe he referred to the type of cuisine as "dog food" not European or American. It sounded like they were serving him Alpo in a can or Kibbles 'n Bits. Sounds like he has a major axe to grind. :D

Back on topic.....

I'm American...from NYC

Thanks very much for your review. We will be first time Costa passengers this coming March but we have sailed on quite a few other lines. I was so excited when we booked (thought we couldn't find an itinerary that would fit our schedule) and I started researching the Atlantica AFTER we booked. Oh boy, I did that backwards, because the word "dog food" has been used so many times, I can't even count. This is not an issue with me as I'm a light eater, but my husband is definitely a "foodie" so we'll see what happens.

Thanks also to those of you who posted positive experiences. I'm crossing my fingers hoping that our upcoming experience on the Atlantica aligns with yours. We'll see!

When I booked Costa, I was optimistic based on the positive reports. The negative ones seemed to be from people who had never sailed it or included inexplicably dramatic statements about the cruise "from hell" and the like. Similar to the one in this thread. Often with some general jab at Italians or gays, etc.

See link below on an Atlantica trip report from a couple of years ago that I missed before I booked. If you haven't already spotted it, do have a look. Very detailed and positive. The head chef in the pic from that report looks like the chef from my cruise. The captain for the 2010 cruise is the same one now under house arrest. We had a different captain for my cruise. He always looked sober and sensible. Smooth sailing for 18 lovely days from Savona to Miami. Enjoy your adventure on Costa and let us know how it all goes.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1170841

Thanks for yur review KatetheWanderer and everyone else that had good things to say about Costa. I will be on the Costa Fortuna in April. I have sailed with 7 other cruise lines and we have always found plenty of food that we loved, so I suspect that we will like Costa also. Have traveled to Italy a couple of times and absolutely loved the Italian food. Must say I have been a little worried about the negative posts but I am going with an open mind. I love to be around Euopeans when I am in Europe so to me being o a cruise with other nationalities is a plus. Hoping to have a great time!

I couldn't agree more. I was about to post my cruise review of the Costa Concordia here on Saturday, Jan 14, but got a call from a fellow passenger on Friday night about the accident. Obviously the review was irrelevant at that point but I do want to add my two cents worth to this thread. I got off the Concordia Dec 30, 2011 so this is pretty recent and fresh in my mind

• Loved the crew. Best part of the experience for me. It broke my heart that my new-found friends lost everything.
  • Loved the cabins. They were spacious, well-equipped, plenty of storage and great balconies
  • Loved the Samsara Spa; it was so relaxing and such a treat to have
  • Loved the ship. Her lines were beautiful. While the interior was a bit loud decor-wise, she grew on me much like an innapropriate Aunt might:D
  • The entertainment was cheesy but oh so fun.
  • Loved that I was on a 3000+ passenger ship with only 144 other Americans
  • Loved that I could practice my quasi-Italian and French and observe other cultures with their families in close quarters.
  • Loved the ports, except Palermo which thankfully was our shortest time in port
  • Tours were very well organized and a bargain. Our Tour guides were all fantastic
  • Food was mediocre at best, but I'm a foodie, so my expectations were maybe unrealistic and I adjusted accordingly. Certainly didn't ruin my trip. I also have a basis of comparison as I worked for Carnival at Miami HQ for 3 yrs in the 80's and went on many, many cruises. The food on Costa was no better, but certainly, no worse.
  • I was never told NO, by anyone. EVER. In fact the staff bent over backwards for any request. One night (we had assigned eating at the specialty restaurant) our dining room Capt noticed that we were strugging with what to order on the menu. He immediately brought over the MDR's menu and said we could order anything and everything on it.. Sometimes you just don't want Oxtail soup and Sweetbreads.:eek: From that point forward, we always had two menus handed to us to pick from and tehy allowed us to mix and match. THAT's what I call service.

The only thing that will keep me from sailing on Costa again is if they fail to step up and not do the right thing by the passengers and the crew of the ill-fated Concordia. That's a deal-breaker for me because I will stand on principle.

We've been on three Costa cruises, including a transatlantic, and very much enjoyed every one. The menus are different from what you might find on an "American" ship, but we thought the food was very good as a whole. Our only complaint in the dining room was the extremely slow service (but again, the European way). We didn't care for the buffet so seldom ate there. I can't remember being told "no" for anything we requested while on the ship. Most of the activities were very well organized. Yes, the variety of languages in the announcements was sometimes disconcerting, but we loved meeting people from many different countries. Traveling on a ship with an international clientele requires some flexibility that isn't required on an all-American cruise.

There has been much negativity on this board toward Costa since the Concordia accident with some of those saying they "hope the company goes out of business". Have they ever cruised with Costa? It was terrible but an entire company should not by ruined by the actions of a few employees. It will take time for Costa to get past this horrible accident, but hopefully they will survive it and improve so they can continue to serve the passengers who enjoy their style of cruising. I certainly hope to be able to cruise with Costa again.

To be honest i thought the same. I would not take a coffee cup to the exit of a ship. I think the waiter's purpose at the exit is to get elderly or handicaped people safe from board and not take someones coffee cup from Deck 0 to Deck 3.

If the captain was very attractive then his name is Paolo Benini.. ;)

Yes he was very attractive,it was Paolo Benini wasnt sure how to spell it, seems weird that they would have changed capitains only 2 cruises later I want my photo of katharine and I with him, I have asked Costa if there is any chance they have the pics from the serena but have not as yet received a reply, would be nice to have one photo from our holiday

Thanks for yur review KatetheWanderer and everyone else that had good things to say about Costa. I will be on the Costa Fortuna in April. I have sailed with 7 other cruise lines and we have always found plenty of food that we loved, so I suspect that we will like Costa also. Have traveled to Italy a couple of times and absolutely loved the Italian food. Must say I have been a little worried about the negative posts but I am going with an open mind. I love to be around Euopeans when I am in Europe so to me being o a cruise with other nationalities is a plus. Hoping to have a great time!

You are welcome fellow Oregonian!

LOL

yes and enjoy your free glass of spumante !!!! LOL:p

Do they give free spumante on MSC Chuck?? What have you been holding back? Oh surrrrrrre. That's riiiiiight. Of course, you who cruises at least five times a year and never has to scrimp on his shipboard account while partaking in fine wines and massages wouldn't think to let the rest of us proles know the scoop on the free spumante.

BTW, this poster is laughing out loud, not once but twice. I think she is laughing at you and not with you. Possibly for being a loser who would pick an Italian ship. Maybe she is laughing at GMT for wishing you a great cruise on an Italian ship. Grumpy? Where is your zinger. Someone is laughing at GMT!!

Archived