Pre-hotel to ship

hoffdahl

After spending our one pre-cruise night at a hotel in Rome (provided by Oceania), I am wondering how soon the following morning Oceania will be taking us to the ship. Do they give us any more time to sightsee in the AM or will they be getting us to the ship early? (We are using Oceania transfers.) Thanks for sharing any experience.

After spending our one pre-cruise night at a hotel in Rome (provided by Oceania), I am wondering how soon the following morning Oceania will be taking us to the ship. Do they give us any more time to sightsee in the AM or will they be getting us to the ship early? (We are using Oceania transfers.) Thanks for sharing any experience.

You won't have any time for sightseeing that next day unless you are willing to get up at the crack of dawn.

It is a long drive from Rome to Civitavecchia (about 85 miles), and they have to factor in loading and unloading the bus, plus the possibility of traffic.

Thanks for the information. I am traveling with my 84 year old dad and he will be worried about getting breakfast. Will we have time to eat somewhere besides an expensive hotel buffet or will that be our only safe choice? We are generally early risers.

I suppose part of The Unanswered Question is when does the ship leave port?

In October Marina didn't leave until 10pm. So we three couples got together and hired a car to take us there -- we didn't leave Rome until 3pm which gave us time to do some more sight seeing.

But if our ship had been scheduled to leave in the late afternoon, we couldn't have done that.

My guess would be that the schedule will leave you enough time for breakfast (even if not at the hotel) but since I've never done an Oceania transfer, my "guess" probably isn't worth much!

Mura

As an afterthought, our car service thought perhaps we were making a mistake since most hotels have checkout times of 11:00 or 12:00. That could be another factor in addition to the time it gets to get to the port and other aspects that Jim&Stan mentioned.

Hoffdahl:

I will find out what the scheduled pick up time and let you know tomorrow.

Ship typically departs Civitavecchia at 8:00pm.

Under normal conditions (traffic), trip to port from your hotel takes 2 hours.

FDR

I have never done O's pre cruise hotel but breakfast is often included at hotels in Europe. You will definitely want to feed Dad before that long drive. What hotel is it?

Lots of us on these boards have been to Rome many times and can offer some suggestions for places to eat nearby, if the Hotel buffet is in fact not included in your rate.

------------------

Helen

The most current correspondence from Oceania lists our Rome hotel as the Ambasciatori Palace on the Via Veneto. Most comments I have read say the hotel restaurant and the other restaurants on that street are expensive, but I can look for other options the afternoon we arrive if we will have time the following AM. On the hotel web site I don't see breakfast listed as an amenity. The Marina departs at 6 PM.

Thanks for all the help. It is just a small detail but it's good to know ahead of time.

It is a long drive from Rome to Civitavecchia (about 85 miles), and they have to factor in loading and unloading the bus, plus the possibility of traffic.

How about changing the question to transfers in the opposite direction? Riviera is scheduled to dock in Civitavecchia at 6am; we have tickets for a flight departing Rome at 12:55pm and will probably will take O's transfer service. Seems to me there is plenty of time for a 12:55 international flight. But...this will be the first time we have ever disembarked in Civitavecchia. Anything we should be aware of regarding the timing of flight departures from Rome?

not Rome

Several years ago we did the pre cruise hotel in London

I recall the bus left about 11 am ( or close to it)

We had time to go out to breakfast & pick up some scotch for DH before getting on the bus to Dover

I doubt they will have you up & out at the crack of dawn they want to give the crew time to turnaround the ship before new passengers embark

I am sure the Big Boss will get the correct answer for you as promised

Aruba: We were leaving Roma from the Marina last April, using a service that our travel agent set up for us. There were 2 or 3 other ships also disembarking passengers and there was some kind of traffic jam and all the transport trying to get to the ship was delayed. We were waiting quite a while, and when we got to the airport we were the last passengers to board the plane. Needless to say it was not a pleasant experience, worrying about making the flight. I don't know if Oceania transfers have some kind of guarantee to get you on your scheduled flight and if they don't they will take care of arranging another flight?

Archived