Listen to this story.....!!

SeaGoddess

I am taking my husband on his first cruise and let me tell you about this guy. Raised in a TINY town in the middle of nowhere, never out of his state, never on a plane, never ANYWHERE. He is a country hick (I tease him). His family disowned him when he fell in love with me - a los angeles all city, world traveler wild child girl. We met over the phone and he never saw a picture of me. Good thing as I was 300 lbs! I lied about my weight because I never thought we'd meet but he wanted to meet me anyway. He didnt care about superficial stuff. Since then - He also has seen me through surgery, illness and FINALLY a 170 pound weight loss (naturally, no surgery). For him to love me through all that - men like him dont grow on trees! Now he has a skinny, gorgeous wife (heehee) and he has ALWAYS wanted to go on a cruise. He stands in front of the t.v. and is rivited when stupid carnival commercials come on. It's so cute. So his Bday is April 26th so I tried to find the perfect cruise... At first I wanted Belize but I wanted Princess more than the ports...so I picked the 24th Star Princess to the Western Caribbean. He is jumping out of his skin with excitement but I have cruised before (carnival) and know that some things aren't as fun as it seems... how can do everything right to make this the perfect cruise for a man who really has earned it?!

First off, when and how and what do I need to sign up for in advance?

Lotus Spa

Steakhouse reservations - he loves LOVES did I mention LOVES steak?! If you pay the $15 can you eat all the steak you want? This skinny guy could eat 70 oz. steaks in one sitting...! Wish I could swing that!

Shore Excursions

Anything else that I need to jump on as soon as I get on the boat?

Ports:

Princess Cays

Cozumel

Montego Bay

Grand Cayman

His secret dream is snorkeling (of course he doesn't want to spend any money on himself because he is totally selfless - gosh, I wish I could clone him for other ladies! ;-)) and he is scared of heights but has always wanted to get over it by parasailing.... where are my best bets for these 2 activities?

He loves waterfalls and hiking - I think he would love zip tours/canopy tours, river tubing or rafting... anything active. I only have a few days to plan the perfect vacation - I am not going to worry about money. Just pretend this is our last week on earth....! :-) Thanks so much

*hugs*

Wearing a bathing suit for the first time in 7 years --- Goddess

:-)~~~~~~

p.s. feel free to email me at cleanmywhiskers@aol.com

That's an amazing story! God must love you a lot!!

I have sailed both Carnival and Princess. You have chosen a very good cruiseline for him.

I haven't been to any of your ports except Cozumel. We went to the Chakaanab Sate Park. they charge about $10 to enter but the dolphin show was extra (we didn't see it) There are places to snorkel, hike, eat etc. it's not far from the pier so went went by cab and didn't do the ship tour. Cozumel has the most beautiful water and fish I've seen in my life.

It sounds like as long as you're there - he's going to have a wonderful time. (170 lbs!! You go girlfriend!)

He is jumping out of his skin with excitement but I have cruised before (carnival) and know that some things aren't as fun as it seems...

Let him continue to "jump out of his skin" with excitement... for most first-time cruisers on Princess, everything IS as fun than it seems... and MORE!!!!!

As far as the excursions, I would set up a time for the two of you to sit down together (maybe add a bottle of wine) and go over all of them together... They are all available on the Princess web site.

Yep, he can eat as much steak as he wants!!

I am sure that you guys will have a wonderful time together!! xoxo

You definitely picked a great cruise line!!

p.s. Congratulations on your wonderful new body!!

We snorkel every chance we get. In Grand Cayman we did an independent tour with Soto's that went to both the stingray city and a coral reef. It was very good and everyone got to hold a stingray. The ray feels like velvet. It was amazing how docile they were. Congratulation on having a great husband. Have fun on your cruise.

We snorkel every chance we get. In Grand Cayman we did an independent tour with Soto's that went to both the stingray city and a coral reef.

Hi, how do I book with "Soto's"? Where do I find out more info about this tour? Did you snorkel in both places? That is what I want! :-) Thanks

I am going on this same itenary in June. I have found through my research that you can't reserve Steak house until you get on the ship. Make that a first priority because it fills up fast. You can book your spa and shore excursions through the princess website. I have heard that you should not venture out much on your own in Jamica. We have booked the tubing and we plan to go to Margaritaville. If he likes waterfalls, you might want to go over to Dunn's River falls. The only downfall is the drive from Montego Bay is about 5 hours there and back. It might take up a lot of your day. In Grand Cayman, I have found that there is an independant company that does SNUBA. It is kind of like snorkeling but you have a air line to breath under water. If you want to contact them, it is kirkseatours.com. They also have other tours as well. The cost of the SNUBA is only $65 pp. If you want a shore excursion from the ship book online so that you have a guarantee. I waited and now am on a waitlist for one of the things I wanted to do. I have been on 2 other cruises and am now addicted. Cruising is definitely the way to go. Have fun!

We'll be on the same cruise with you. So when I see the "gorgeous skinny" girl with a big smile on her face and her fella next to her ooohing and aaahing, I'll know it's you!!!! Bless your heart. Have a wonderful cruise, both of you!!!!

Your story brought tears to my eyes! Both of you are lucky and deserve a wonderful vacation.

Not to knock the Steak House, I hear the steaks are out of this world and do encourage going, but I wanted to tell you that Princess has "Always Available" selections on the left side of the dinner menu, and steak is always there, so your guy can eat steak as often & as much as he wants for no extra charge! I have heard the SH steaks are the best, however.

I can't recall what you wrote, but is it his birthday or your anniversary? If it is within a month, put it on the cruise personalizer and they will bring a cake to your table and sing. Plus balloons and a sign on your door. That is just a little extra special something for the 2 of you!

Enjoy!!

As far as the excursions, I would set up a time for the two of you to sit down together (maybe add a bottle of wine) and go over all of them together... They are all available on the Princess web site.

First, congrats on the weight loss and on snagging such a wonderful husband. You are truly blessed!

As for shore excursions, you should also receive (if you have not already) a "pre-cruise" package from Princess. In that package will be a booklet detailing all the available shore excursions at your ports. Sit down with him, go over them, and let him decide what he would like to do. Personally, I wouldn't just book any "active" excursions for him. Let him decide. Sometimes people say they would love to try something, but then they get cold feet because they are simply not the "adventuresome" type and some of those excursions look downright scarey! No sense letting him feel "pressured" into trying stuff that scares the hell out of him. Let him go through the book and decide what he really wants to try and what he would prefer to just watch others do. :)

Sounds like an awesome cruise for an awesome couple. Enjoy!

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'll ditto the recommendation of Stingray City. I've been twice, both through Moby Dick ($30 if you pre-reserve, no deposit required; http://www.mobydicktours.com), and the experience is just incredible. You get time with the stingrays in about 4 ft of water, feeding them, holding them, even kissing them if you want; Mark is real great about helping you do all of this! My DH spent most of the time with his snorkel gear on chasing stingrays around, I just loved feeding them and petting them. You also get a snorkel stop at Coral Gardens, which has some really colorful fish, and if you're lucky, a moray eel or two (I saw one the first time; none the 2nd).

The only other port I can kind of help you with is Cozumel. I've heard Dzul Ha is the best for snorkeling (haven't been personally), followed by Chankanaab ($12 entrance fee; haven't snorkeled there personally, either, just did the dolphin swim there, which was amazing). If you want a really amazing experience, try to book the dolphin swim as soon as you get on board (not the encounter or the swim/snorkel, go for the swim; it's $159/pp, but worth every penny).

Have a fabulous trip; you two are going to have a great time! :)

Congratulations on your marriage and your cruise.

I also recommend Nativeway. Beware that your ship may not be able to get to Grand Cayman because of the weather, so you really do need to plan two snorkeling excursions in case one does not turn out.

We have been to Chankanaab Park and snorkeled in addition to swimming with the sea lions. Less expensive than the dolphins and so much more personable are these mammals. Another good beach in Cozumel is Paradise Beach. I believe you can parasail there.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip!

hey this hick might like to go horseback riding,im not sure but does montego bay have that?,just a thought,and am very happy for both of you,sometimes its that one in a million shot in the dark that has come your way :)))))

Grand Cayman - Reef and Ray tour (book trhough Princess. - Palancar Reef/Wreck snorkeling was FANTASTIC this last January, and being at Stingray City is a blast.

For the others, read all the offerings and then choose, but sign up early online as the better ones get booked well in advance of the cruise.

Have Fun !

Steakhouse reservations - he loves LOVES did I mention LOVES steak?! If you pay the $15 can you eat all the steak you want? This skinny guy could eat 70 oz. steaks in one sitting...! Wish I could swing that!

Hi SeaGoddess:

What a wonderful story!

Regarding steaks, I echo GloriaF's response. They are "Always Available" in the Traditional and Anytime Dining Rooms. In fact, here are the Princess menus, which are used in the Traditional and Anytime Dining Rooms (layout may be slightly updated now, but content the same) for Day 1 to Day 7, Sail Away to Land Fall:

Page 1: Healthy Choice and Vegetarian

Page 2: Regular and Always Available

http://grafx.freeservers.com/cruise/menus.html

Dining Amenities onboard STAR Princess:

http://www.princess.com/onboard/dining/st_dining.html

http://www.princess.com/onboard/answer/dining.html

And two article's on Princess Personal Choice; the way to go IMHO:

http://members.fortunecity.com/parnami/StarPrincess/id23.htm

http://www.tomandmaryscruisereviews.com/PersonalChoice.htm

Have recently cruised onboard the STAR, in Dec 2004, B2B over XMAS and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Have a fantastic trip!

Warmest Regards to both of you,

Mike

Thanks everyone for the great replies. Yes, my life has been something for the past year or so - I could write a book! :-) Any lady looking for weight loss tips, email me or see me on the cruise... I have been through it ALL - cured my diabetes, mentrual problems, high blood pressure, high cholesterol...all with food and vitamins. Trust me, you will know me if you see me on the cruise. I am VERY outgoing, redhair to my butt, and now my body is 36DD, 24, 36 - all real (I did have a breast LIFT but that is probably a conversation for another board, heehee!) I am 29 years old. I never knew I was this good looking under the 170 extra pounds! :-) Believe it or not, I am looking at this cruise as a chance to tone up even more... so hopefully I can find active activities and they will have fitness classes.

All the suggestions have been great but haven't heard any input on what to do on Princess Cays.... anyone? Also, what about Montego Bay? We were thinking tubing, rafting or zip tour but can't find any online that seem to be running right now.... hmmmmmm

*hugs to everyone!*

Goddess

cleanmywhiskers@aol.com

Mike & Zen writes:In fact, here are the Princess menus, which are used in the Traditional and Anytime Dining Rooms (layout may be slightly updated now, but content the same) for Day 1 to Day 7, Sail Away to Land Fall:

Page 1: Healthy Choice and Vegetarian

Page 2: Regular and Always Available

OHMYGOSH!!! This is a LIFESAVER! I eat a special diet since the weight loss and I was getting so antsy there wouldnt be anything for me to eat!

Here is my all important question - none of these meals are quite right for my diet... can they be modified? Like can I order something without the sauce or glaze?

Also, very important - can I order 2 of something on the menu - like I want the Filet of Zander but I want TWO filets?

Thank you SO MUCH for any info on this!!!!!!!!!!

Goddess

As everyone has said, you're story is great. Been to Stingray City twice in Grand Cayman and thoroughly enjoyed both visits. The one thing I would add that is the most important thing to take with you is a good attitude. If you have that in abundance the pesky little trials and tribulations of traveling/cruising don't seem to get so blown out of proportion that you don't enjoy your trip. You have earned this trip for your accomplishments and your love of what sounds like a very special guy. Good luck!

Here is my all important question - none of these meals are quite right for my diet... can they be modified? Like can I order something without the sauce or glaze?

Also, very important - can I order 2 of something on the menu - like I want the Filet of Zander but I want TWO filets?

Thank you SO MUCH for any info on this!!!!!!!!!!

Goddess

SeaGoddess:

Before ordering, ask your wait staff if your order comes with a sauce or glaze or anything else you may be concerned about. Then inform them of your request(s), and it should be accommodated. For example, you may wish to order your salad with the dressing on the side, etc.

Also, in the Dining Rooms, you can order as many appetizers, salads, main courses, and desserts that you like. Many times I have ordered 2 main courses to be served simultaneously, and the wait staff have even asked me if I wanted more!

In addition, if you have not done it yet, I would recommend that you go to the Princess Website and click "The Cruise Personalizer." Enter your name and booking number to get access, and then complete the Passenger Immigration, etc, online.

Further, click "Special Requests", and under "Dietary and Special Requirements" fill in your needs. There is also a section in "Special Requests" to fill in your "Special Occasions", such as your husband's birthday. Nice balloons on your cabin door, etc.

Here is the URL for Princess: http://www.princess.com/home.jsp

Also, other than the Specialty restaurants onboard, where you pay extra, you can also eat your dinner in the Horizon Court buffet and serve yourself. We always dine at night in the Dining Rooms, and only use the Horizon Court for breakfast, lunch, snacks, etc. Again, here is the URL for your dining options onboard the STAR Princess:

http://www.princess.com/onboard/dining/st_dining.html

Now, I have a request for you. Since you are a SeaGoddess, before you leave the ship on 1 May 05, please ensure that the STAR Princess crew members are out of your mesmerizing spell that you put them under, in order for them to take care of us, since we will be boarding the STAR, 1 May 05 for the Transatlantic to Europe.

All the best, SeaGoddess,

Mike

Hi to All....

For my two cents about Princess Cay, where the boat docks, go to the right and over the walk-bridge, that part of the beach is less crowded and the bar at the end serves the best Rumrunner in the Carib, but please don't tell anyone else ;). Word of warning, the sun there is very strong, even for us from sunny So. Cal (my son didn't believe me and our family photo includes us and 1 Lobster) :0....Dennis

Archived