Why isn't Carnival on either of these Conde Nast lists?

sloopsailor

This thread was funny...best line.."that mag is total Cr__p"..the fact that I drool over all travel mags at the 2 bookstores at my disposal with coffee shops is well..a testament to the fact I like them and the adds and dreaming..still love the "bottom barrell" LOL and want to try them all..S.

Conde Nast Traveler's reader demographics don't exactly match Carnival's demographics. The average Conde Nast reader's annual income is $163,750 and are people looking for luxury vacations.

Carnival is not exactly a luxury cruise line. Carnival offers a great product at a great value, but it isn't as upscale as the lines that made the list. Also, in other publications, Carnival has taken a hit because the passenger/space ratio is generally lower than the other lines.

I wouldn't read anything into it. Let the Conde Nast readers stick with Cunard, Crystal, and Seabourn.

I agree. And to also put it into perspective, I cruise Carnival, and I would never subscribe to Conde Naste. I subscribe to Budget Travel. I have no interest in their magazine. One night at one of their recommended hotels would blow my budget for an entire vacation. I always consider other cruise lines when planning a cruise, but I always come back to Carnival because I'm not paying hundreds more for practically the same cruise when Carnival has always satisfied us. Budget Travel always includes Carnival when referring to certain cruiselines. I'm okay being in the "Budget Travel" league! :)

Its kind of like polling Ferrari owners and Bently owners what cars they like....it sure won't be Kias, Hyundais, Hondas and Toyotas

Of course, that doesn't mean that a Hyundai is, in any objective sense, as good a car as a Bentley, either.

I get the point about reader demographics, but not some of the reverse snobbery. I'm a regular on Princess, which is sort of a Nissan Altima, but still snagged six of the twenty places on the Large Ship list.

Of course, that doesn't mean that a Hyundai is, in any objective sense, as good a car as a Bentley, either.

I get the point about reader demographics, but not some of the reverse snobbery. I'm a regular on Princess, which is sort of a Nissan Altima, but still snagged six of the twenty places on the Large Ship list.

So you are saying Princess in the equivalent of Carnival then?

So you are saying Princess in the equivalent of Carnival then?

No, what I'm saying is that the theory that only luxury lines do well in the Condé Nast poll is off-base. Princess, like the Altima, is a middlebrow, middle-class choice that appeals to a wide range of people. Not the flashiest or most innovative, but what it does, it does, in my experience, very well. And the Princess cruises I've booked haven't been that much more expensive than comparable Carnival sailings would have been.

I'm not a snob - I booked the Splendor, but canceled shortly before it broke down and went into dry dock. Everything I own is worth less than one of the watches advertised in Traveler. And I love BK Whoppers, though I would never confuse them with haute cuisine. It's just that I'm willing to accept that the Crystal Serenity might well be a "better" ship than the Island Princess...not that I'll ever be able to afford to find out.

I think if you took a poll of Carnival cruisers to find those who actually read the magazine and participated in the poll, the number of those who answered in the affirmative would be significantly insignificant.

As is often the case, big_duck, I agree with your observation . . . and I am one of those (a CNT reader) in that "significantly insignificant" category. :)

Conde Nast Traveler's reader demographics don't exactly match Carnival's demographics . . .

Certainly agree, although some CNT readers have definitely had some previous wonderful sailings onboard CCL.

Who cares?????

For one, me.

Costa, NCL and CCL are lowcost cruises.

Lets not make this something its not.

Some cc'ers have been saying what the magazine has been saying.

CCL has let themselves slip to a tie for the bottom of the barrel for a budget cruise.

Way to go carnival, you made it next to the bottom.

Next is all the way to the bottom.

15 years ago, (or there about) CCL was higher on that list.:(

Ditto......

I think the results speak for themselves (and it somewhat puts to rest the perception often repeated in the Carnival board that "Royal Caribbean and Carnival are more alike than different").

Somebody used the car analogy, but I like to use the hotel analogy. I stay at hotels on average 3 times a week for work). For me, Carnival compares to a Holiday Inn. So I asked myself: Would a Holiday Inn make the cut of best hotels? The answer is NO.

I did find it interesting that Oasis of the Seas made the cut, but its almost identical twin Allure was left out...

For those hating on Conde Naste for "snubbing" Carnival from the list: Let's be realistic here. Carnival may deliver a lot of bang for your buck, but that doesn't translate into being one of the best cruise experiences. Cheapest cruise line doesn't translate into best cruise line.

I have been on 4 Carnival cruises, 3 RCL cruises, and going on Celebrity for the first time. I've never heard of Conde Nast. My two favorite ships so far: Carnival Pride and RCL Serenade of the Seas. I didn't get picked to participate in the poll ;)

Carnival is to Honda and Toyota and Nissan

Princess is to Acura, Lexus, Infiniti - Not Super luxury but definately an upgrade to Carnival.

Don't get me wrong. I love Carnival as that is the cruise line I cruise most of the time.

There is a clear difference between the Classiness (sp?) from Princess and Carnival.

I have been on 4 Carnival cruises, 3 RCL cruises, and going on Celebrity for the first time. I've never heard of Conde Nast. My two favorite ships so far: Carnival Pride and RCL Serenade of the Seas. I didn't get picked to participate in the poll ;)

...and your Serenade made it pretty high on the list. The Radiance class ships are my favorite ships at sea. Perfect size, not too crowded, and the best views at sea.

Are people really thinking Carnival would be listed on the top 10 or 20 lists .. really

The ships listed I would put above Carnival, but then they also cost more. The list isnt which are the cheapest ships, the list are the top ships. Carnival is good for value.

Sent from Progresso where Triumph is today, yea. Great value but I would hardly expect it to be listed as a top ship.

1/06 Westerdam -W. Caribbean

1/07 Dawn Princess - Mexican Riviera

1/08 Zuiderdam - E. Caribbean

4/08 Celebrity Mercury - Alaska

12/09 Crown Princess - W. Caribbean

8/10 Sea Princess - Alaska

1/11 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera

4/11 Island Princess - Panama full transit

8/11 Sea Princess - Alaska

2/12 Grand Princess - E. Caribbean

12/12 Star Princess - SFO to Buenos Aires

Indeed you are. Are you asking in a Carnival board because you are considering a Carnival cruise? BTW, what's the cost of that magazine up to now?

I did find it interesting that Oasis of the Seas made the cut, but its almost identical twin Allure was left out...

Probably because it is still relatively new and not enough people have had a chance to sail on it to gain enough votes. Celebrity's S class ships are also missing the newest in the class, the Silhouette, in service for only a few months.

Probably because it is still relatively new and not enough people have had a chance to sail on it to gain enough votes. Celebrity's S class ships are also missing the newest in the class, the Silhouette, in service for only a few months.

good point

Would someone please explain what demographics, clientelle, snobishness etc have to do with Carnival Cruise Line not having a ship on this list. Note that Princess and Royal Caribbean dominate this survey with a total of 13 out of 19. Princess has 6 ships and Royal has 7. Both cruise lines are mainstream and far from upscale.

Would someone please explain what demographics, clientelle, snobishness etc have to do with Carnival Cruise Line not having a ship on this list. Note that Princess and Royal Caribbean dominate this survey with a total of 13 out of 19. Princess has 6 ships and Royal has 7. Both cruise lines are mainstream and far from upscale.

wearing bathrobes to the eating venues.

conde naste readers don't cruise carnival. neither do conter naste vp's.

that included my fil.

This was my first thought too--especially since I have never heard of the originator of that survey. Seems a bit out of my demographics. Oh well--nothing lost there. :cool:

My thought on that was that in order to be a part of this survey, one would need to participate and in order to participate one would need some kind of knowledge of the company doing the survey--I can only speak for myself and I've never heard of them so maybe I'm not the only Carnival cruiser in that "boat" ;)

Note that Princess and Royal Caribbean dominate this survey with a total of 13 out of 19. Princess has 6 ships and Royal has 7. Both cruise lines are mainstream and far from upscale.

But they are not considered bottom of the barrel budget cruise lines. Read the articles on a Conde Naste magazine and you'll see that it's not geared towards the rock bottom budget seeking type of vacationers, so chances are that a large percentage of their readers haven't even set foot on a Carnival ship...

Looking over the list of large ships ,I was struck by the fact that 3 of the 5 RCL Voyager class made this list. Why?

I enjoyed sailing on the Mariner this summer. Nice enough ship. Food, facilities and staff were very good. Not great but very good.

Don't really understand why this class of ship is so highly ranked. Not meant as a slight against RCL or the Mariner

but thinking Conde Nast demographics must match RCLs

Archived