New member review of Eurodam

sugarcharlie

I just finished reading a member review on the CC board of the recent Eurodam sailing. Obviously the reviewer was not happy about many of the service things that were uniquely his problem, however as a future cruiser on the Eurodam one thing really was of interest.

He stated that while on a tour of the bridge he was told that the terrible vibrations being felt on some parts of the ship were apparently being caused by rubber engine mounts that they were trying to fix. Now I don't know whether this can be done while the ship is cruising or whether it must be done at dry dock but it appears to answer what a lot of recent concerns of passengers experiencing it were concerned about.

If you want to read the review yourself just click on "Cruise Reviews" and select "member reviews" and then select Eurodam from the drop down menu where it asks you to select a ship.

Hopefully HAL will now believe the vibrations being felt by earlier cruisers were real and will address it expeditiously.

I just finished reading a member review on the CC board of the recent Eurodam sailing. Obviously the reviewer was not happy about many of the service things that were uniquely his problem, however as a future cruiser on the Eurodam one thing really was of interest.

He stated that while on a tour of the bridge he was told that the terrible vibrations being felt on some parts of the ship were apparently being caused by rubber engine mounts that they were trying to fix. Now I don't know whether this can be done while the ship is cruising or whether it must be done at dry dock but it appears to answer what a lot of recent concerns of passengers experiencing it were concerned about.

If you want to read the review yourself just click on "Cruise Reviews" and select "member reviews" and then select Eurodam from the drop down menu where it asks you to select a ship.

Hopefully HAL will now believe the vibrations being felt by earlier cruisers were real and will address it expeditiously.

I find it hard to believe they can replace rubber engine mounts without a short dry dock if that is in fact the problem.

I find it hard to believe they can replace rubber engine mounts without a short dry dock if that is in fact the problem.

I do not believe that there is a drydock scheduled for the Eurodam until sometime in 2013! :eek: So, I guess that the (ongoing) 'vibration' issue will be a concern for many more cruises/cruisers yet, including mine,:(, before drydock!

I really wouldn't worry about the vibrations. I was on the ship in Sept 2011 and it wasn't a big deal. I would go back on the Eurodam in a heartbeat.

My concern is whether the condition is getting worse over time. It's been twenty cruises since yours and it's highly possible that the problem could be getting worse. At some point if it were to become intolerable I guess they would act. Until then they'll probably just try to ride it out until the next dry dock. Sounds like I'll have to avoid the shops on the 3rd deck where it appears to be the worst, or maybe I'll bring some duct tape along and try to fix it myself!:D

My son is an engineer (in the Coast Guard no less!). However, while recently on Eurodam we were told they have eight (or was it ten) engines on board. On this sea day, four of the engines were in use.

Therefore, it is certainly true that it must be fairly rare that all engines are needed at the same time, and there should be no reason that engine mount gaskets could not be replaced (obviously, one at a time) without a dry-dock.

I talked a little about the vibration issue in my review, posted at http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=95978

My concern is whether the condition is getting worse over time. It's been twenty cruises since yours and it's highly possible that the problem could be getting worse. At some point if it were to become intolerable I guess they would act. Until then they'll probably just try to ride it out until the next dry dock. Sounds like I'll have to avoid the shops on the 3rd deck where it appears to be the worst, or maybe I'll bring some duct tape along and try to fix it myself!:D

It could be getting worse over time but I really don't know what people have experienced on a ship so it's hard to know their tolerance level. Try a cruise on the Statendam if you want a ship in bad repair. I think you'll be fine on the Eurodam. It's hard to believe there has been that many cruises since I've been on the ship but I trust what you are saying. I was on the ship from Sept 20-30. I'm not a HAL cheerleader so if I felt it was going to be bad I would certainly say it.

Glad to hear the officer confirmed what many here have believed all along, that it was an engine mount problem. There are six diesel generators on board. It's likely the engine mounts underneath one or more of those.

Personally, I don't think it's bad enough to spoil a cruise...unless you have a midship cabin. We felt it was worse midship..on all the decks.

IMO

I really wouldn't worry about the vibrations. I was on the ship in Sept 2011 and it wasn't a big deal. I would go back on the Eurodam in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the reassurance lorekauf...I was on the Zuiderdam on a Panama Canal transit in '09 in an aft balcony and we had some vibrations too. I keep assuming they are worse on the E-dam. Since we are booked on her for an April TA, I was getting worried..thanks .

I concur with lorekauf--I would not worry about the vibrations. We were on the Eurodam for the New Year's Cruise last month and there were definite vibrations but we would go back to Eurodam in a heartbeat as well. It is beautiful ship with an amazing crew. We have been considering a quick trip before she leaves for Europe.

We were on the Eurodam last week (21st-28th January, probably the same sailing that the reviewer posted about.) I had read all the recent postings prior to our trip, and was somewhat concerned about the vibration, so I had a heightened sensitivity to them during our cruise. While you definitely notice them at times (yes, in the shops; yes, in parts of the MDR, sometimes at the Silk Den, sometimes almost anywhere) I am very happy to say that we did not consider them to be annoying in the least. They came and went, in our opinion, and when they were noticeable, it was really not a big thing. Oh yes, there were people who complained, but it's a cruise, and that's what people love to do. I consider myself an upscale traveler, and have very high expectations. Trust me when I say that the vibrations were insignificant in the overall scheme of things and I would get back on Eurodam today if I could. It is a magnificent ship, a great crew, and perfect for what we enjoy.

K and L

DW and I were on the Eurodam this past October and noticed vibration in various locations around the ship including our cabin. We must have become acclimated to it because we didn't pay much attention to it after the first day, but it was present throughout the whole week.

For all future passengers stressing out about vibrations on a ship. Ease the burden and simply stay home.

Book another ship or to have total silence charter a sailboat. I assure you it will be vibration free.

Bad news... The ship also pitches and rolls out on the high seas.

It could be getting worse over time but I really don't know what people have experienced on a ship so it's hard to know their tolerance level. Try a cruise on the Statendam if you want a ship in bad repair. I think you'll be fine on the Eurodam. It's hard to believe there has been that many cruises since I've been on the ship but I trust what you are saying. I was on the ship from Sept 20-30. I'm not a HAL cheerleader so if I felt it was going to be bad I would certainly say it.

lorekauf, please elaborate about the Statendam being "a ship in bad repair" (as I am thinking about booking a cruise on it)! :confused:

Lorekauf, We're going on the Statendam in a couple of weeks, and now you have me worried!

In all honesty, I have not set foot on that ship since Oct.2009, and I never will. The issues could be resolved but I'm not willing to part with my precious vacation time and money to find out. Chances are that you'll be fine because I haven't heard that much about the ship lately.

lorekauf, please elaborate about the Statendam being "a ship in bad repair" (as I am thinking about booking a cruise on it)! :confused:

Really? Which cruise? Search is your friend. I had AC issues and the ship had major engine issues. It also looked pretty beat up on the inside compared to other ships I've been on.

Off the Eurodam today (2/4/12). There is a vibration but as stated many times before, not enough to spoil our trip. When it was rough, the noise in our cabin was more noticeable - the ceiling tiles were rattling which was apparently a problem prior to our arrival, based on the 'shims' between the ceiling and the wall molding. (Cabin 7015) Never kept us from sleeping -but once awake in the morning - it was enough to keep us awake. Never saw a 'sloshing' glass or a vibration so violent as to be dangerous. Just read a review from the Amsterdam which also mentioned a vibration - so it may be an inherent design problem. We had a wonderful time on the Eurodam and would highly recommend it to anyone. Once I get over the disappointment of not having someone cook for me today, I'll post a better review.

Archived