Age has its perks

Bridge Maven

[quote name='PartyAllDaTyme']I realize you didn't ask for my real name, address or phone number, but since I come from a small community, revealing the name of the community would probably be too much information. "Central Wisconsin" is what I'm comfortable with.[/quote]

And I said "near Green Bay" not my actual community name (probably equally as small). Simply saying "somewhere east of Wausau" would have been just fine -- no one needs to know you are living in Mattoon or Leopolus.

"Central Wisconsin" could mean GB, Lacrosse, Ashland or Beloit based upon different people's definitions. I'm always surprised that Green Bay bills itself as "North East" Wisconsin - East yup, but "North"? really?

Someone lurking on these boards may have noted that I had indicated in other posts that my DD's high school band marched in the TOR parade this New Years -- they could go to the TOR website and discover that the only HS band from WI in the 2012 TOR parade came from Pulaski -- so now I might just be from Pulaski, WI (which happends to be "near" GB) -- or just as plausably from Krakow, Chase, Oneida, Sobieski, Hobart, Angelica or a host of other tiny little townships/villages in the Pulaski School district. Or my DD may have enrolled at Pulaski via Wisconsin's open enrollment. Or her DF and I may have divorced and she may be living in the Pulaski School district and I could be living in DePere or Allouez or Wrightstown.

So now you know something about me and if you find out when I will next be out of town on a cruise, you (or whatever ne'do wells that may be lurking on these boards) should feel free to traverse all roads in the 74+ square mile Pulaski School district and/or all of Brown, Outagamie, and Oconto Counties looking for my house to burglarize (and if you do find it may my crazy neighbors' crazed dogs set upon you, or maybe the pack of cayotes that have been waking me up the last few mornings).

But maybe next time someone says "where 'bouts in Central WI" you might think about replying with a friendly "out in the boonies near Stevens Point" or "not all that far from Portage" or whatever. When we are on a trip, we proudly wear WI or Packer or Brewer gear because we've made connections with some pretty great people over the years who have Wisconsin stories of their own. So sorry I was unable to connect with you.

[quote name='Bridge Maven']Do you find as you are getting older that you are more willing to spend money on perks when you cruise that you once considered to be a waste of money - such as better cabins, two cabins for three people instead of just one, more upscale pre-cruise hotels, upscale restaurants in a port, a more convenient flight that costs more, etc.[/quote]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkred]There is no one answer accross the board so I'll take each question in turn.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000]Yes to better a better cabin. We are balcony addicts. We book CC, FOV or Sky Suites.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000]NO to two cabins. I would love to bring the pooches along but even with masks on it would be difficult to persuade Celebrity that they are people so only one cabin for us.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000]Yes, we stay in upscale hotels which we have gotten through Priceline.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000]Yes and No to upscale restaurants. The night before a cruise we usually go to either a good or a very good restaurant. The day of the cruise we go to Ernies on Route 1 for conch chowder and bbq sandwiches. Ernies is not fancy.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000]Yes to more convenient flights. I own the airplane and because I am the airplane driver our flight won't leave until shortly after we get back to the airport. Our seats are larger and more comfortable plus I have never lost our luggage.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
[B][SIZE=3][COLOR=#8b0000]BTW, we love cruising and will ocntinue to do so.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
:):):)

DH and I will do whatever we can afford at the time. We are doing CC this time and consider that spoiling ourselves. Don't know if we will ever be able to do inside again. We enjoy our balcony WAY too much. We generally save on flights because my DH travels a lot and gets frequent flyer miles. We do find ourselves leaning towards being pampered more as we get a little older though.

I'm still quite young, but I find as I'm getting older I'm spending more on nicer things because I have more to spend!

10 years ago I could have never dreamed I'd be planning a Celebrity cruise to the Galapagos.

I had a spinal cord injury as a teen - so I've already had an experience that has taught me how fleeting life is. I was SO lucky with the outcome. I'm not going to let the really big things like this wait until retirement- and the movie "Up" really hit me hard!

Retired and loving it. Not so much spending on exhorbitant, but spending on excellence. For example, our goal is spending at least 6 + months a year on cruising-done that and more in the last two, three years. But doing so means taking inside cabins most of the time-although only on our preferred cruiselines, looking for great hotels at bargain prices, and balancing high prices in excellent restaurants with eating less at other times. My philosophy now that I am older:
[I][COLOR=navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=navy][FONT=Book Antiqua].”[/FONT][/COLOR][/I][I][COLOR=blue][FONT=Sylfaen]Mark Twain [Samuel Langhorne Clemens][/FONT][/COLOR][/I]

We're both retired and we also measure the cost of things according to the cost of a cruise. I'd rather go on a cruise than buy a couch. We started cruising in an inside cabin, then an OV and now a balcony. My husband won't cruise without a balcony. Next year we have CC cabin booked.

We're now thinking of going on a trip to Machu Picchu. We figure we're never going to be healthier than we are now. Our motto is: "We save where we can so we can spend where we want." We're doing it now! Our kids always ask " Where are you going now?"

[quote name='Bridge Maven']Do you find as you are getting older that you are more willing to spend money on perks when you cruise that you once considered to be a waste of money - such as better cabins, two cabins for three people instead of just one, more upscale pre-cruise hotels, upscale restaurants in a port, a more convenient flight that costs more, etc.[/QUOTE]

This is funny because we were just talking about this the other day!

A little background--I met my DH when I was 26, married him when I was 29. He is 14 years older than me. I am 49, he just turned 64, and we have had 20 awesome years together so far, and travel has ALWAYS been a huge part of our lives.

Neither one of us ever had a desire to be a parent....so we are childless by choice. Within the first year of marriage, we started our Travel Fund and every month, $500 went directly into the fund. While we have had credit card debt in the first decade of our marriage, we never vacationed on credit. The trip was paid for in full before we left the country. All income tax refunds would always go into fund, and any OT checks, or other little windfalls here or there.

We were also doubly blessed to both work for the government. Our vacation time was guaranteed and we never had the issues that so many people had when you are an owner of a company or in charge of day to day operations. Not to mention trying to schedule 2-3 kids' soccer, volleyball and/or baseball practices/games!

We never went crazy with credit, never needed to drive new cars (haven't had car or credit card payments in years), if we can't pay cash for something, we obviously can't afford it at that moment and don't buy it. We have over $100k equity in our home (pretty good for California--ha!), although we do have a mortgage.

I love love love a great bargain. I try to get the best price available, but we don't "go on the cheap." We both remember many years ago when we found that a group of cruise passengers stopped what they were doing to return to the ship, only because they didn't want to buy lunch in port because they could get it free if they returned to ship. My DH couldn't believe it. What about the unbelievable experiences, customs, new foods, that they gave up to save $20?!?!?! And I'm not talking about those that have dietary restrictions!

Like some others, my DH won't travel w/out a balcony. We will be in an AC for a TA cruise in 38+ days, and in an OS for the reverse TA on the Liberty of the Seas in October.
Last March, we went to Carnival in Rio de Janeiro followed by a 16 day cruise, and then in Oct, we went to Vienna/Paris for 21 days....and we splurged and had lunch in the Eiffel Tower. At first, I thought--I am not spending $300+ for lunch unless Elvis serves us...but DH said, come on....when will we have a chance to eat at the Eiffel Tower? He was so right.

Depending on the country we visit, I will research to find a great private tour guide. Having a really great tour guide can really make your vacation spectacular. We spent nearly $1k for our private tour guide in Budapest (we were there for 10 days and we went on a few trips with her), in Rome (very expensive luxury, but worth every penny), a few private guides in Brazil. Many countries we did our own exploring....Barbados, Ireland, London, Australia, Amsterdam, Sorrento....and 12+ cruises.

No, we never did have to do the 3 to a cabin, or skip lunch in an amazing port, or even stay at a less than favorable hotel (since I travel for my job, I've been Plat w/Marriott and Diamond w/Hilton for years....so that has really helped in that area!)....but I most definitely have noticed that I am willing to spend a chunk of change for something that I really want to do....and so long as I can pay for it without charging it, I'm good to go.

Great question.....

Dawn

DH and I are DINKs; he prodded me into paying cash for everything, and I prodded him into taking appropriate risks. We have a nice modest house, paid for cars, and paid for furnishings and whatnot.

We have things at home just the way we like them. We have furnishings we enjoy, cable channels and movies on demand, high-speed internet, animals we love, a refrigerator full of food we like, and restaurants we like nearby when we don't. When we go on vacation, we make sure it's worth leaving home for.

Hi, This is a great thread, I can relate to all your comments. I started cruising 30 years ago with my parents ( great people ). I worked 35 years for the same company, so a good retirement & now I can travel when I want. Like
many of you, the thrill of the hunt the best price and the looking forward to the trip is fun! . So, cruise how you can, if it is an inside cabin-- they are good, better there than no where, or veranda the air is great! A very dear friend of mine told me--YOUR LAST SHIRT HAS NO POCKETS! You might as well enjoy your hard earned money now. Take care.

Started cruising in 2004 (in balcony) and was worried about whether I would be able to handle an "inside" after having the balcony. Fortunately, I was able to downsize w/o much "trauma"! ;)

I travel mainly with my mom who just turned 81, (I'm 47 tomorrow!) Being able to travel more economically enabled us to take several "bucket list" cruises for the two years I took a "sabatical". Best thing I ever did -- left a high paying but extremely high pressure job to spend time w/my mom and travel the world. In 2009 I went back to work for a different company in a completely different role (non-managerial)..I KNOW the change has added years to my life...which I intend to make the most of!

My oldest brother (11 yrs older than me) died suddenly 3 wks post surgery for a broken ankle. (Pulmonary embolism). He was 54 and only 3 months from early retirement with a company he had worked for 32 years. That experience has made me realize even more that I want to live my life to the fullest and enjoy the time I have left with my mother.

We are splurging on an AQ for our upcoming Equinox med. cruise. Even though we both are financially secure enough to spend more we very rarely do. My mom is a product of the great depression and well...she raised me to really value the $ also.

I completely encourage my mom to spend my (other brother) and my inheritance. She raised us to be self-sufficient and we are both successful enough not to need her money. I only hope we have many more years of cruising together and hopefully treating ourselves a little more often. ;)

[quote name='MetravelUtoo?']....Even though we both are financially secure enough to spend more we very rarely do. My mom is a product of the great depression and well...she raised me to really value the $ also.[/quote]

My best friend's mother-in-law is the same way. She travels to Florida once every couple of years and wouldn't spend $100 each way to fly FIRST CLASS---didn't want to spend the money!!!!!

She is in good health, has PLENTY of money for the rest of her life, very, very financially secure, but was simply raised in the depression era where you don't spend money on things like that.

We couldn't believe it. Neither or us would have given it a second thought....of course we would take first class! It is a 6+ hour flight!

There has to be a happy medium...but if that is what is engrained in you, then that is what you live by and if spending a couple extra hundred dollars just makes you feel ill--then you won't enjoy the experience anyway.

We are downsizing to an AC on the Solstice this spring. We haven't cruised in less than a mini suite for years (our cruises are typically 14+ days so the extra elbow room is nice to have--for us) and I really hope it has enough room. The size of the balcony is even more important to DH because he LIVES on it. I got 1552 so, hopefully, he will have a little extra room and he doesn't care about the window washing equipment in front of the room next door (visible on the size of 1552).

I have a feeling that because the ship is newer, we really won't miss the 60 or so square feet in the cabin. So long as there is a couch/sitting area, that is our minimum. And I think we spend a little more time than the folks that swear they are "never in the cabin." That's just not us.

Enjoy!

[quote name='marraclc']We're both retired and we also measure the cost of things according to the cost of a cruise. I'd rather go on a cruise than buy a couch. We started cruising in an inside cabin, then an OV and now a balcony. My husband won't cruise without a balcony. Next year we have CC cabin booked.

We're now thinking of going on a trip to Machu Picchu. We figure we're never going to be healthier than we are now. Our motto is: "We save where we can so we can spend where we want." We're doing it now! Our kids always ask " Where are you going now?"[/quote]I do love your motto and our kids say the same thing.I hope you don't mind if I also use it as I do have some curious neighbors.;) LOL

This is such a 'feel good' thread, i am with the majority of you. I will spend more, but am always looking for a deal. If I can upgrade to first class on a plane I am there. I know some people don't get it, but I do. I want to be pampered, I want luxury for what my budget will afford.

I have one year an 7 months till I retire, and can't wait. I currently get 25 vacations day and that limits my travel currently. Will feel rest not to have
to request vacation and hope it gets approved.
HAPPY CRUISING TO ALL OF YOU!!!
NORMA

We started cruising 9 years ago. Fell in love with it, and save on whatever we can, so we can take another cruise. 2 kids, done with college and on their own. House paid for. 3 cars paid for (1 is a little red sports car). Live in a modest home, paid for. (been here for 24 years). DH retired 4 years ago, and does part time jobs and puts the money into our cruise fund. I am a Realtor (not working much with the economy in our area). I also do odd jobs, and we put our $$$ into our cruise fund.

We will cruise in insides, OV and balconies. Never had anything higher than a balcony. Did get a corner aft on our Serenade this Jan and loved it. Booked the Eclipse 14 night circle the Caribbean for Jan/13, in a balcony (got a great deal with a group cruise). We don't drink, so no drink packages. Only eat in specialty restaurants on a rare occassion. Do most of our shore excursions on our own, as I research wherever we are going before we get there for things we like to do. We are spending more money now on things for us to do. Have been to Hawaii twice now, and the South Pacific twice.

Our next really big cruise will be to Australia. Not sure when we will make it there. Have a wedding for our son in 2013. Also, our DD has a little one, so we do love to spoil him (almost 2 now).

As it says in my signature, spending our kids inheritance 1 cruise at a time, and working on our bucket list 1 port at a time, and LOVING IT! Our friends and family are always saying where are you cruising to now, and don't you get tired of it? NO, we never get tired of being on a ship!

When I first began reading this thread, I thought I would be in a minority, but I see that people all look at travel through different prisms, and there are others who share our philosophy.

No, we skip the first-class air travel and five-star hotels and restaurants. When we cruise, we always have a balcony, but that's because that is the part of cruising that we enjoy most. We'd never choose the premium alcohol package whether we got our money's worth or not, simply for the "convenience" of not having to sign a chit, which we do not find to be an odious chore. We have a less expensive glass or bottle of wine with dinner and limit our pool-side and after-dinner drinks. We're judicious in our choice of off-ship expeditions and usually choose less expensive ones not affiliated with the cruise line.

But this enables us to travel with our children and grandchildren, who would not be able to afford these vacations if we did not take them. Spending time with them, giving them experiences they would not otherwise be able to have (or at least not for many years) and sharing these with them are far more important to us than a little more room in a cabin or on a plane. People, especially our beloved family, are our priorities.

The rest of the year we do indulge in a few luxuries. We buy books we enjoy, have an all-inclusive cable package, high-speed internet, and a few electronic gadgets that we use daily. We enjoy eating out and do so often with our family members. Our cars are not new but they are not economy models, and we enjoy some of the options that they have. We think we have found a good balance between sacrificing for ten months to enjoy two and enjoying every day of every month.

It works for us, and I'm glad to see so many others have found the way that works for them.

this is such a great thread. My DH and I love to travel. We also love to be able to take our daughters with us when we can although with their school schedules it makes it more challenging. We've made such wonderful memories with family trips.

I recently did an early early retirement from work. It was a really difficult decision for me; not because I wasn't going to be entitled to my pension for another 4 years but because I loved my job. The unfortunate thing was my job was becoming much more stressful and instead of working the 4 days per week that I loved I was being forced to work 5 days per week plus cover on call for another 10 days. It really limited the time my DH and I could get away so I decided life was too short and quit. DH is self employed and works physically hard so when he wants to get away for a bit if his schedule allows I wanted to be able to go as well.

We manage at least two big trips per year. While I always have a sort of "budget" in mind when booking we don't hold ourselves to it if we want to experience something. I'm diamond with Hilton so we just book the least expensive room and get upgraded. Breakfasts are then included as well as a couple of cocktails in the evening if there is an exec lounge. We recently booked an AQ on Celebrity and loved it; mostly because of the food. We love to eat well.

We've traveled throughout Egypt, Thailand, Kenya to name a few places with our daughters staying in the best of hotels but doing it for a fraction of the cost of most people because I love to research trips and get the most bang for my buck. I book all of our hotels and guides rather than booking a package deal from a fancy travel company. We've never once been disappointed with our trip.

We love to travel and hope to be able to experience many more trips. Our daughters wish they could come with us all the time but I tell them that they are much more fortunate than a lot of kids and that their dad and I worked hard to be able to travel and put them through school. I say that it is good incentive for them to do well so they can then afford the lifestyle that they've come to enjoy.

We usually book coach when flying but now that we're getting older we're going to start booking business when flying real long haul flights. Because we live in the middle of nowhere, our costs just to get to an international airport are crazy.

This thread is very inspirational. I am newly retired, early and not by choice (I'm 55). I have always liked traveling but now I have the time to do it as often as I like. I started cruising seven years ago with Regent because it was recommended to me by my parents. I sailed with Celebrity for the first time in January and I loved it. Though Regent is a good cruise line, it doesn't offer the value that celebrity does.
I'm lucky, I've invested my money well over the years, so I can afford to spend what I want within reason on travel. I still enjoy getting a deal, an upgrade or a discount though. I use frequent flier miles to be able to fly business class, which is important to me when flying overseas. Accumulating the maximum amount of frequent flier miles has become almost like a game. I have way too much time on my hands I guess.
Now it's about staying healthy, there are alot of places to visit and cruises to go on!

[quote name='Kevnzworld']This thread is very inspirational. I am newly retired, early and not by choice (I'm 55). I have always liked traveling but now I have the time to do it as often as I like. I started cruising seven years ago with Regent because it was recommended to me by my parents. I sailed with Celebrity for the first time in January and I loved it. Though Regent is a good cruise line, it doesn't offer the value that celebrity does.
I'm lucky, I've invested my money well over the years, so I can afford to spend what I want within reason on travel. I still enjoy getting a deal, an upgrade or a discount though. I use frequent flier miles to be able to fly business class, which is important to me when flying overseas. Accumulating the maximum amount of frequent flier miles has become almost like a game. I have way too much time on my hands I guess.
Now it's about staying healthy, there are alot of places to visit and cruises to go on![/quote]

You are very fortunate to have been able to retire (not by choice, but does not appear to be for health reasons--which is great) and have not suffered any loss financially!

Wow...that is pretty good. I know with state retirements, we take a big hit if we retire at 55 (unless we are police/fire fighters).

At 49, I can't see myself retiring at 55....I just love my job (I travel for Public Health) and while it is not my identity, I still throughly enjoy working.

But congrats to you...that is some feat you pulled off!

:)

[quote name='kymbakitty']My best friend's mother-in-law is the same way. She travels to Florida once every couple of years and wouldn't spend $100 each way to fly FIRST CLASS---didn't want to spend the money!!!!!

She is in good health, has PLENTY of money for the rest of her life, very, very financially secure, but was simply raised in the depression era where you don't spend money on things like that.

We couldn't believe it. Neither or us would have given it a second thought....of course we would take first class! It is a 6+ hour flight!

There has to be a happy medium...but if that is what is engrained in you, then that is what you live by and if spending a couple extra hundred dollars just makes you feel ill--then you won't enjoy the experience anyway.

We are downsizing to an AC on the Solstice this spring. We haven't cruised in less than a mini suite for years (our cruises are typically 14+ days so the extra elbow room is nice to have--for us) and I really hope it has enough room. The size of the balcony is even more important to DH because he LIVES on it. I got 1552 so, hopefully, he will have a little extra room and he doesn't care about the window washing equipment in front of the room next door (visible on the size of 1552).

I have a feeling that because the ship is newer, we really won't miss the 60 or so square feet in the cabin. So long as there is a couch/sitting area, that is our minimum. And I think we spend a little more time than the folks that swear they are "never in the cabin." That's just not us.

Enjoy![/quote]

Please tell me what airline offers first class for an extra $100? We just flew to Paris for approx. $1000 each, lowest fare and the business class was $5000 each and the first class was $13,000 each. For $100 each, I would be a Big Sport!

We are only in our mid-40's, but are with the group willing to spend more on travel, even if it means a little less travel.

While we generally don't pay for first or business class flights, we almost always have enough miles to get free upgrades, it just requires planning ahead. In October we have round-trip business to London for $250/each and 100,000 miles/each.

We will only stay in higher end hotels or B&B's. And we both travel enough for business that we are fortunate to have significant points with Hilton and are able to stay 2+ weeks each year at Hilton's top tier hotels for free.

The money saved on flights and hotel is funneled into better Suites, private cars/tours and great restaurants, etc.

Even when eating out at home, we will eat at home most nights, so that we can enjoy that friday or saturday night out at a really good restaurant and not feel guilty for spending $200+ on dinner. While i watch other friends eat an fast-food or quick-server chains several nights a week, but then say they cannot afford a high-end restaurant.

Like others have mentioned, we have seen too many friends save their whole lives, raise their kids, retire and not live long enough or be healthy enough to enjoy it. We decided it was better to have a little less in the 401k and enjoy life while we are young. If we are healthy enough in retirement, we will continue to travel. If not, we will sit on the sofa and look at pictures and talk about the great times we had, when we could.

And while i have no issue spending $10,000 on a suite for a 10 day cruise, i also love to search for a good deal ($1,100 OBC on October cruise), maximize free creditcard points for hotels/flights, and find special offers for restaurants. It's always a feel good to compare the vacations "value" to what you spent.

[QUOTE=Can'tstopcruising;32819850]Please tell me what airline offers first class for an extra $100? We just flew to Paris for approx. $1000 each, lowest fare and the business class was $5000 each and the first class was $13,000 each. For $100 each, I would be a Big Sport![/QUOTE]

I said she travels to Florida every couple of years....and it was just a $100 more for first class.....but the first class that you are referring to is nothing like a first class domestic flight....apples and oranges.

Incidentally, me and DH need to get to FLL from CA in April. I went to SWA to get their price, which was $365, each, one way. Then I went to kayak.com like I always do, and, lo and behold, they had a similar flight for $1 less.

The difference? It was on Delta Airlines and it is FIRST CLASS!

So, the sales do pop up now and again, but still, it can't be compared to biz or first class on international flights.

:-)

Archived