Muster Station Photo

cruise kitty

How does that help if that is the side that is under water or even if it is the opposite side like the ship that just rolled over on its side?

Hi, I posted it because it gives pretty clear instructions on what to do in case of an emergency, thought first timers would like to see it.

Obviously in case of fire or flooding in your muster station, you're gonna have to think on your feet in order to save yourself. Indecision & panic are never a good reaction.

Of course, there's always the old adage: "When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream & shout" :D

CruiseKitty, your post is much appreciated. Whether it be a modern high rise luxury hotel, multi-plex movie theater, or cruise ship, a lot of people pay no attention to the emergency evacuation routes or muster details.

In light of this recent disaster, cruise lines are already becoming serious enough in the emergency drills to remove people from the ship who fail to attend. Within the next 90 days I am sure we will see extraordinary changes on how these drills are conducted.

The next time I cruise or check-in to my hotel room I know the first thing I'll do when I get to the room (after I check out the view) is look for the placard with those details that could save my life, not see what channels I get on the TV or look for the room service menu.

How does that help if that is the side that is under water or even if it is the opposite side like the ship that just rolled over on its side?

Muster stations on Celebrity are not outside on one side or the other. They are in a lounge or dining area on the deck where the lifeboat loading is located and, generally, that area would have access to the outside area on either side of the ship. If that whole deck is underwater then the situation would be beyond what they could reasonably drill the passengers for ahead of time.

CruiseKitty, your post is much appreciated. Whether it be a modern high rise luxury hotel, multi-plex movie theater, or cruise ship, a lot of people pay no attention to the emergency evacuation routes or muster details.

In light of this recent disaster, cruise lines are already becoming serious enough in the emergency drills to remove people from the ship who fail to attend. Within the next 90 days I am sure we will see extraordinary changes on how these drills are conducted.

The next time I cruise or check-in to my hotel room I know the first thing I'll do when I get to the room (after I check out the view) is look for the placard with those details that could save my life, not see what channels I get on the TV or look for the room service menu.

Exactly! I'm the dork who actually looks at the placard behind the door on the hotel room, it takes only seconds, & I think could make a difference in an emergency, I know I can't plan for every conceivable situation, but maybe planning for the common ones is a good idea.

Muster stations on Celebrity are not outside on one side or the other. They are in a lounge or dining area on the deck where the lifeboat loading is located and, generally, that area would have access to the outside area on either side of the ship. If that whole deck is underwater then the situation would be beyond what they could reasonably drill the passengers for ahead of time.

Thanks for this, I've lived in S. Ca my entire life, & earthquakes are a way of life here, you plan for what you can reasonably control, & realize that in worst case scenario, you will have to improvise, but obsessing over it serves no purpose.

Hi Cruise Kitty,

Great Photo... lol, on my Solstice Cruise our Muster Station was "E2" as well (back of the MDR... Starboard Side)

Funny, when I saw the title of this topic... I honestly thought you might be posting a pic of a "Muster Station"... where everyone is sitting around ... awaiting the Captain's Welcome and the film to begin.

Such as the one I have linked to here...

:rolleyes:

NOTE - To be honest, I totally get that this is a "serious" topic despite my crazy sense of humour... because my Solstice Sailing was on January 15th, just 2 Days after the Costa Concordia Accident... so to be perfectly honest, EVERYONE took the Muster Drill very seriously... you could have heard a pin drop in the MDR !!

Especially so after Captain Larsson on the PA after a few words of welcome, mentioned the Costa Accident, and that in light of that incident... he expected all of us to pay particularly good attention.

Capt Larrson was an awesome guy... you got the feeling from his announcements and the crew (and if you were lucky enough to meet him in person, as we did) that he was a well-educated, sea-worthy gentleman, who also had a good sense of responsibility and fairness... and a sharp sense of humour (his daily announcements always began... "Hi its me again...") and a lust for life overall (his ability to play one wicked electric guitar and sing)

There was genuine comraderie on that ship be it with the crew or the passengers, and I do believe it was because Capt Larrson set the tone.

Cheers!

1671377594_DSCF5896(2)(620x465).jpg.3114875fee8524f92802a9ad8897e6f0.jpg

Archived