Cruise Director Amy Ficker?

ncb106

I didn't care for her and DH loathed her. She definitely has that "I used to be a cheerleader" personality going on (which he just hates!). The funny thing is that I knew about her before the cruise and gave him a head's up to be prepared to be annoyed. haha

But, like the PP stated - it's the Oasis. We only really saw her at Quest and Love & Marriage shows, which were still funny. She speak before and after other shows, but it wasn't a big deal. We both thought the other guy (the activities manager?) was a lot better.

She's young and apparently fairly new to the CD job and really tries too hard. We were on Oasis in November and thought her attempts at humorous banter were annoying. RC needs to move her to a smaller ship to get some experience before putting her on the largest ship in their fleet.

I have to agree with the others....she got annoying...her saying over and over again is "HI, I'm Amy and your Awesome"....you got sick of hearing it by the second time you see her...I mean no disrespect, but I have no idea how they made this girl the CD on Oasis....she fits much better as the director of Adventure Ocean. If you are a person that really looks forward to a good CD....you will be disappointed.

RC needs to move her to a smaller ship to get some experience before putting her on the largest ship in their fleet.

I agree with all of the above and particularly the quoted statement. Wasn't really fair of RCI to start her off on Oasis.

For me it is not the cruise director, but the cruise director staff. I am going to spend more time at Trivia, Karaoke, etc, and it is the staff that runs those events.

As long as the cruise director keeps a happy energetic staff things are good. But I know from talking to staff on several different ships, it can be miserable for them if they are under a bad CD.

For me it is not the cruise director, but the cruise director staff. I am going to spend more time at Trivia, Karaoke, etc, and it is the staff that runs those events.

As long as the cruise director keeps a happy energetic staff things are good. But I know from talking to staff on several different ships, it can be miserable for them if they are under a bad CD.

Her assistant Ken was good.....most liked him better.

We were on the Oasis the cruise before Amy became the cruise director. I believe the director that cruise was a younger good humored guy named Mike?? From Waterloo, Ontario Canada. We sat behind him on the flight home.

I thought Amy was a good assistant director, with Mike as her director. We met here on the ship tour with a few other cruisers and two days later we bumped into her on the patio of Johnny Rockets and she said hi to us and chatted for a few 10 minutes or so. She is a nice girl here being experienced in song and dance.

Most likely she just needs some extra experience and putting her in charge of the Oasis is a big step for the first director job. Hopefully she will growing into the position.

Andrew

I hope she's not reading this thread!

Why:confused:...no one has been nasty....just giving their honest opinion. Not thinking she is the best for the job is nothing against her personally....I am sure she is a very nice person....I do think this was a VERY big leap for her to be put as CD of oner of Royal's flagships.......I and many others it seems just feel she wasn't ready for it.

I was on the Oasis on New years Eve and both my DW and I said the same thing as many of you here. She was perky to an almost OMG (think 80's valley girl) annoying. We saw her out and about a lot. I do not know why but she was my least favorite of any cruise director. I have had 8 others. It is a tough job no doubt and I could not do it.

SIG

• 1 month later...

I guess I'm the only one who liked her. I loved her energy and the fact that she was a part of everything. She probably wore herself out on my cruise but she was fantastic. Yeah she can come across as a little over energized but I really enjoyed that. She definitely contributed to my first cruise being so memorable.

I had her on the January 28 sailing of the Oasis. I had read reviews of her beforehand which were fairly negative and was prepared for the worst. In my opinion, she was just average, I will say she does indeed have a lot of energy and enthusiasm. The main thing I got tired of was her saying over and over every chance she got how she was the youngest female cruise director...

I had Richard Spacey on my first Oasis cruise so of course he was really great.

In my opinion Amy was just OK. I will say she made an appearance at the Meet & Mingle, whereas Richard did not, and I think usually the Meet & Mingle are just run by the CD staff, so have to give her credit for showing up there for 10 or 15 minutes and chatting with some of the guests. I did see her out and about on the ship quite often at times other than the big shows, which is something I did not see of Richard, but I just might not have been in the right time and place then.

I think she eventually will become good, but obviously being thrown onto a ship such as Oasis for the first time as cruise director is a big responsibility. I am kind of surprised that Royal Caribbean started her there rather than on one of their smaller ships.

I think she eventually will become good, but obviously being thrown onto a ship such as Oasis for the first time as cruise director is a big responsibility. I am kind of surprised that Royal Caribbean started her there rather than on one of their smaller ships.

Maybe she's improving with experience! She's been on Oasis about 4 months now and the recent reviews have been a little more favorable. Good for her, I hope thats the case.

Going on Oasis in 50 days, it's a good thing I coulnd't care less about Cruise Directors...of all the cruisies I've been on, I can't name for you a single CD that I've had. They are like wallpaper to me, I know it's there, but I don't really pay attention to it.:)

Same here. I like the wallpaper analogy, perfect.

I guess I'm the only one who liked her. I loved her energy and the fact that she was a part of everything. She probably wore herself out on my cruise but she was fantastic. Yeah she can come across as a little over energized but I really enjoyed that. She definitely contributed to my first cruise being so memorable.

I agree with you. She was an assistant to Richard Spacey on our cruise last summer. I found her very nice, and not so much of a "show-off" as Richard Spacey. We had heard many good things about him, but found him to be too over the top and as my daughter says "a bit full of himself." I think that it is hard for any cruise director to be everything to everyone, and that different people like different personalities. This was our first cruise, but I would say that whoever the cruise director is, it wouldn't make or break a cruise for me.

im cruising on the Oasis of the seas in 8 days...

I dont care if the teacher from Ferris Bueler's day off is the CD.... no one is gonna hinder my good time.

If more people had your great attitude there would be a lot less complaining on Cruise Critic!

I have the same opinion as Lou_70 (in fact we're on the same cruise!). I found the CD on Allure to be totally extraneous to the entire experience, so I don't really care who it is.

It's funny, though, but I can remember the name of every CD we've had on our RCI cruises, but can't remember the ones from Princess and HAL!!

Maybe I care more about them than I thought?

im cruising on the Oasis of the seas in 8 days...

I dont care if the teacher from Ferris Bueler's day off is the CD.... no one is gonna hinder my good time.

......Bueler.......Bueler......Bueler......

.......He would have been more entertaining than my last cruise with Graham Seymour.....:eek:......not even high school humour......Have aGREAT cruise ....:)

I have found that if I run into an idiot.. I go to the nearest bar.. order a drink and toast to their stupidity.. then move on..

Sooner or later I run out of idiots or the ability to speak..

Archived