Bed bugs on ROS?

Cruising with friends in October on the ROS. And a discussion came up about bed bugs. As our friends were watching Dr Phil and the show was about bed bugs as we are travelling on a american ship they became concerned as there is a big problem in american. Has anyone had a problem on the ROS?

I think it is unlikely there will be bed bugs on this ship or any other - possible, but not likely. However, bed bugs are an increasing problem in the hotel industry.

If you are concerned, I suggest you check out the bed when you first embark. Lift the sheets and look along the seams of the mattress right on the edge. If there are bed bugs you will see them as they are 6mm long. Yuk!!! After you check out your bed you can forget the possibility of bed bugs and enjoy your cruise.

As previous poster said check mattress, usually you cannot see bed bugs but they shed their skin so you would notice around any wooden parts or mattress seam small (less than 6mm) black things like dead dry ants.

Bed bugs are not such a personal problem unless you are allergic to them in which case you can come up in a horrendous rash like hives all over your body that can last for weeks.

Most people who have visited Asia may have encountered Bed Bugs without even knowing it! For the most you will have a few small mossie type bites on your skin and most think it is Knat bites or sand fly bites.

The tell tail sign is the bite marks that run in a track (not just random bite marks) but in a definite line.

I have encountered bed bugs quite a few times,me ok Partner allergic:eek:

They are not a question of the cleanliness of any establishment and can affect 1 star or 5 star accommodation land or sea.

They hitch a lift on peoples luggage that is why most places you stay have a luggage rack above floor level (always use it).

Bed Bugs are hard to get rid of,if a room is infected it must be sprayed and closed for at least a week or subjected to Ultra High temp treatment, neither is economically viable for most establishments,thus the fairly recent common spread.

Because my partner is allergic to them we check every bed other than our own before we would ever contemplate sleeping it it.

We have also thrown away luggage on our return home as they love luggage and easiest way spread.

Den

As previous poster said check mattress, usually you cannot see bed bugs but they shed their skin so you would notice around any wooden parts or mattress seam small (less than 6mm) black things like dead dry ants.

Bed bugs are not such a personal problem unless you are allergic to them in which case you can come up in a horrendous rash like hives all over your body that can last for weeks.

Most people who have visited Asia may have encountered Bed Bugs without even knowing it! For the most you will have a few small mossie type bites on your skin and most think it is Knat bites or sand fly bites.

The tell tail sign is the bite marks that run in a track (not just random bite marks) but in a definite line.

I have encountered bed bugs quite a few times,me ok Partner allergic:eek:

They are not a question of the cleanliness of any establishment and can affect 1 star or 5 star accommodation land or sea.

They hitch a lift on peoples luggage that is why most places you stay have a luggage rack above floor level (always use it).

Bed Bugs are hard to get rid of,if a room is infected it must be sprayed and closed for at least a week or subjected to Ultra High temp treatment, neither is economically viable for most establishments,thus the fairly recent common spread.

Because my partner is allergic to them we check every bed other than our own before we would ever contemplate sleeping it it.

We have also thrown away luggage on our return home as they love luggage and easiest way spread.

Den

Hi Den

I found this interesting to read as I didn't know that, thanks for sharing this information :).

I have just been on ROS and didn't see or hear anything about bed bugs on the cruise. You are no more or less likley to find them on a cruise ship than any other hotel.

I travelled throughout the US last year and was a bit worried but didn't find any there either. I was cautious like other posters have said above.

Cruising with friends in October on the ROS. And a discussion came up about bed bugs. As our friends were watching Dr Phil and the show was about bed bugs as we are travelling on a american ship they became concerned as there is a big problem in american. Has anyone had a problem on the ROS?

No. Never.

I have been on her twice and never had a problem!! I see this is your first non P&O cruise bateau, your in for a treat. I have never had a bad cruise on P&O but its a whole new level on the ROS, she is a beautiful ship and im sure you will absolutely love her, cheers ;):D

what an amazing thread. People are really concerned about bed begs?

We travel quite a bit and neither of us have ever checked mattresses or even thought about bed bugs anywhere we have ever stayed - Oz, NZ, Asia (Thailand/Japan), Brasil, USA, the UK, France and on .....

I'd be more worried about gastro viruses than bed bugs...

pete

We travel quite a bit and neither of us have ever checked mattresses or even thought about bed bugs anywhere we have ever stayed - Oz, NZ, Asia (Thailand/Japan), Brasil, USA, the UK, France and on .....

pete

we have never struck any bed bugs onboard so i wouldnt worry about that

make sure everyone washes their hands and you dont get the noro virus

pete

We encountered bed bugs in a hotel in Sydney. It was a horrific experience. My arms and legs were a swollen, red mass of hundreds and hundreds of bites and the itching nearly drove me out of my mind. Since then I have checked mattresses in motels and hotels, but I don't bother on cruise ships. I am sure if there was a report, it would be dealt with immediately and thoroughly.

The horrifying thing about the bed bugs we encountered in the hotel - obviously we reported it; they claimed we had brought them with us; they offered us another room which we accepted, but when we returned to the hotel later in the day, there was a family in the bed bug infested room. :( I wanted to tell them but my husband insisted I should not. I asked the management if they have fumigated the room and they insisted they had, but I seriously doubt it. :(

I believe that there have been deaths of tourists in Thailand because they slept in rooms that had been fumigated with the very strong stuff that is not meant to be used near humans. Scary stuff. The hotels looked reasonable so you never know.

We encountered bed bugs in a hotel in Sydney. It was a horrific experience. My arms and legs were a swollen, red mass of hundreds and hundreds of bites and the itching nearly drove me out of my mind. Since then I have checked mattresses in motels and hotels, but I don't bother on cruise ships. I am sure if there was a report, it would be dealt with immediately and thoroughly.

The horrifying thing about the bed bugs we encountered in the hotel - obviously we reported it; they claimed we had brought them with us; they offered us another room which we accepted, but when we returned to the hotel later in the day, there was a family in the bed bug infested room. :( I wanted to tell them but my husband insisted I should not. I asked the management if they have fumigated the room and they insisted they had, but I seriously doubt it. :(

eek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived