Whittier disembarkation / 2 days between cruises

melsal

I am considering a northbound cruise, 2 days on Land, and then a southbound. The northbound arrives Whittier at 12:30 am. What time do passengers start leaving the ship? I would like to make the most of my two days on land. Any suggestions on what to do in such a short time. I think going to Denali may be pushing it.

I am considering a northbound cruise, 2 days on Land, and then a southbound. The northbound arrives Whittier at 12:30 am. What time do passengers start leaving the ship? I would like to make the most of my two days on land. Any suggestions on what to do in such a short time. I think going to Denali may be pushing it.

I am guessing you will have less than two days on land since you will need to embark by mid-afternoon the second day. Whittier is about a 3 hour drive from Anchorage. The train ride is quite pretty. You would really not make Denali as this is another 5 hour drive once you are in Anchorage. I would spend the time in the area you are in when you dock and schedule tours of the nearby glaciers and fiords. There are several day trips that include fishing and whale watching. Alaska is beautiful.

Just to correct a comment, whittier is not a 3 hour drive from Anchorage. You are thinking of Seward. Whittier is no more than a 90 minute drive-and that is if you miss the tunnel opening time slot.

I do agree that in that time frame, Denali is a big reach.

Here is a little more detail of what I am thinking.

The northbound cruise on the Diamond Princess arrives Whittier on June 16th at 12:30 am and the southhbound cruise on the Coral Princess leaves Whittier on June 18th at 8:30 pm. For those who have cruised the northbound/southbound cruises with Princess.. What time can passengers disembark at Whittier and what time is the all aboard for southbound?

Assuming we can get off the ship around 8:00 am on 6/16, rent a car from Avis at Whittier and be back on 6/18 at 4:00 pm giving us about 2 1/2 days for the land portion on our own. Heading straight to Denali or maybe going to Seward for the Marine Center.

Here is a little more detail of what I am thinking.

The northbound cruise on the Diamond Princess arrives Whittier on June 16th at 12:30 am and the southhbound cruise on the Coral Princess leaves Whittier on June 18th at 8:30 pm. For those who have cruised the northbound/southbound cruises with Princess.. What time can passengers disembark at Whittier and what time is the all aboard for southbound?

Assuming we can get off the ship around 8:00 am on 6/16, rent a car from Avis at Whittier and be back on 6/18 at 4:00 pm giving us about 2 1/2 days for the land portion on our own. Heading straight to Denali or maybe going to Seward for the Marine Center.

Not sure of the exact disembarkation time for your NB segment, but likely 6:30 a.m.- 7:00 a.m. For your SB segment, you will need to be on board two hours before sailaway.

Yes, Denali is a bit of a stretch, but possible if you don't mind long drives. You could drive to Denali on the 16th, take a shuttle into Denali on the 17th, and then drive back to Whittier on the 18th. (6 1/2-7 hours driving time without stops, construction, accidents, etc). So if this is something your really want to do, it can be done.

The Seward option is a good one. You could head there on the 16th, stopping along the way. Between the 16th and 17th you could take a Kenai Fjords Boat Tour, visit the Sealife Center. If sealife is your interest, the center has many optional tours that may be of interest. You can visit Exit Glacier. There is also kayaking in Seward. You could either head back to Whittier the evening of the 17th or the next morning. (Not much in lodging options in Whittier though) I would suggest a PWS tour out of Whittier before you board your cruise ship on the 18th.

I got off Diamond last year at Whittier by 8am. We started disembarking at 7:30am.

You can always stay at Whittier and do the 21 glacier or something cruises into Prince William Sound, and also rent a car from Avis and tour either Anchorage or Seward.

Seward will provide the most fun for your 2 days time frame.

If you want to see Mt McKinley, take a flight tour out of Anchorage.

You "can" easily make the 8am tunnel out of Whittier, BUT it depends what mode of transportation you are considering?? an easy plan would be to spend the day boating Prince William Sound, take the Alaska RR to Anchorage, overnight, then take the train to Seward the next am, and have two days there. Plenty to see and do.

But the FIRST decision you need to make is WHAT you are going to do with your time, and correct, you do not have time for Denali Park.

You can always stay at Whittier and do the 21 glacier or something cruises into Prince William Sound, and also rent a car from Avis and tour either Anchorage or Seward.

Poor idea, they can not turn in the car in Seward, with this idea they are adding way too much time backtracking.

I am guessing you will have less than two days on land since you will need to embark by mid-afternoon the second day..

I never recommend this, you can easily embark early evening. If you want to make the most of Alaska, then don't be in any rush to get on a cruiseship. :)

Poor idea, they can not turn in the car in Seward, with this idea they are adding way too much time backtracking.

Budget Queen: Post #5 states that the OP is disembarking from cruise #1 in Whittier and embarking 2 days later for cruise #2 in Whittier.

Archived